HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Part 2) #ECQF 1|Apr. 11, 2012|Flyers at Penguins

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-12-2012, 01:08 PM
  #826
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 12,229
vCash: 500
After watching the game again, something really stood out to me. This game reminded me of game 1 of the Stanley Cup. Both teams were playing at a frenetic pace and the flyers did not have the depth to keep up with the Blackhawks, and they eventually wore us down.


The Penguins came out guns a blazing in that first period, hitting everything that moved and creating havoc on the ice. The flyers not only were caught off guard but were completely manhandled that first period.

But after that first period, the Pens wore down. I think we started to pick it up not because our play imrproved but because the Pens just looked dead. And by the third not only did we have the fresher legs but we had the momentum which carried to the OT session.

I think the Pens will learn to conserve energy and distribute more TOI throughout their lineup which will help, but that will also help the Flyers since they can not set up matchups to take the Giroux line out of the game. The more I think about it, the more I realize that this is how the new NHL is going to be won. Teams with the best depth top to bottom are going to win vs the team with the big guns. And the Flyers have the best depth at Forward of any team in the league, and if pronger was healthy, would have great depth at D too.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:11 PM
  #827
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
No mention of the missed icing call though? I mean say both of those whistles happened, though the outcome might be different it's not as though the missed icing whistle was less obvious.
There are 2 things about the missed icing call that, to me, make it not as bad as the non-offside:
  1. The closer linesman (opposite side of ice at Flyer blue line) waived it off. Not the best way to signal, but it's not as bad as if there was just the icing signal then not called.
  2. As the TSN panel said, you play until the whistle blows. Coburn touched the puck in a poor defensive position, and was therefore unable to battle for the puck.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:22 PM
  #828
orangecrush8
Registered User
 
orangecrush8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
There are 2 things about the missed icing call that, to me, make it not as bad as the non-offside:
  1. The closer linesman (opposite side of ice at Flyer blue line) waived it off. Not the best way to signal, but it's not as bad as if there was just the icing signal then not called.
  2. As the TSN panel said, you play until the whistle blows. Coburn touched the puck in a poor defensive position, and was therefore unable to battle for the puck.
While I certainly agree with the statement "you play until the whistle blows", I really don't know what Coburn should have done instead. He played it as if it was going to be icing much like everyone would in that same situation. The fact that he played it this way automatically puts in him a bad position if the refs blow the call. In my eyes, the only alternative would be for Coburn was to touch the puck and immediately take out Sullivan (which if the ref did call icing, Coburn most likely would have been penalized for)

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:25 PM
  #829
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
While I certainly agree with the statement "you play until the whistle blows", I really don't know what Coburn should have done instead. He played it as if it was going to be icing much like everyone would in that same situation. The fact that he played it this way automatically puts in him a bad position if the refs blow the call. In my eyes, the only alternative would be for Coburn was to touch the puck and immediately take out Sullivan (which if the ref did call icing, Coburn most likely would have been penalized for)
Exactly. They changed their mind on the icing, in turn, resulting in a play that led to a goal.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:27 PM
  #830
nevermore
Cap space since 2005
 
nevermore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Austria
Posts: 11,899
vCash: 500
TSN's

NHL UNHAPPY WITH MISSED OFFSIDE CALL ON FLYERS GOAL

headline made me laugh way more than it should have.

"We're as upset as Pittsburgh almost."
You don't say.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:32 PM
  #831
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
The great part about the schenn vids is cooke is doing his old launch at the head thing again, but schenn know's its coming and puts cooke down.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:32 PM
  #832
orangecrush8
Registered User
 
orangecrush8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Exactly. They changed their mind on the icing, in turn, resulting in a play that led to a goal.
The fact that the other linsemen did wave off the icing baffles me. It's not like Coburn leisurely skated back for the touch up or the puck barely crossed the line, it seemed to be as routine of an icing as they get. You really gotta wonder what propelled the linesmen to wave it off

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:48 PM
  #833
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 40,750
vCash: 929
As a point of reference, this is the sixth time the Flyers trailed by three goals in a post-season game to win. Here are the successful rallies from 3-goal deficits:
  1. Flyers 4, Boston 3 -- May 14, 2010 -– Game 7 Eastern Conference Semifinals
  2. Flyers 5, Washington 4 (OT) -- April 10, 1988 –- Game 4 Patrick Division Semifinals
  3. Flyers 5, Edmonton 3 -- May 22, 1987 –- Game 3 Stanley Cup Final
  4. Flyers 6, Toronto 5 (OT) -- April 17, 1977 –- Game 4 Quarterfinals
  5. Flyers 4, Atlanta 3 (OT) -- April 14, 1974 –- Game 4 Quarterfinals

I'd put last night's rally somewhere between the Toronto, Edmonton and Washington games but behind Boston. Atlanta was the fourth game of a sweep and was a shining moment for Dave Schultz.

The Flyers trailed by 5-1 on May 4, 1978 to Boston, rallied to tie it 5-5 before losing 7-5.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:54 PM
  #834
teegale
Hartnell Down!
 
teegale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
I can't believe how much attention one blown call is getting. People are acting like refs get everything right all the time. It's not like it was the game tying goal or game winner. The Pens had 3 power plays before we saw our first, and blew a 3 goal lead only to lose in overtime. Talk about a scapegoat for a terrible meltdown.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:00 PM
  #835
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
TSN's

NHL UNHAPPY WITH MISSED OFFSIDE CALL ON FLYERS GOAL

headline made me laugh way more than it should have.

"We're as upset as Pittsburgh almost."
You don't say.
Campbell's a joke. He should have acknowledged both incorrect decisions. In making this statement, he's implicitly suggesting that the Penguins were wronged by the balance of calls last night.

Over/under on Pittsburgh powerplays next game? I say 5.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:02 PM
  #836
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
I can't believe how much attention one blown call is getting. People are acting like refs get everything right all the time. It's not like it was the game tying goal or game winner. The Pens had 3 power plays before we saw our first, and blew a 3 goal lead only to lose in overtime. Talk about a scapegoat for a terrible meltdown.
Hell, we had momentum long before the goal and long after the goal. And we didn't even score again until MUCH later.

Pens fans are acting like it was the game momentum changer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Campbell's a joke. He should have acknowledged both incorrect decisions. In making this statement, he's implicitly suggesting that the Penguins were wronged by the balance of calls last night.

Over/under on Pittsburgh powerplays next game? I say 5.
That's my biggest concern. Now I think we're moving on to the over-officiated part of the series. Oh joy.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:03 PM
  #837
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
The fact that the other linsemen did wave off the icing baffles me. It's not like Coburn leisurely skated back for the touch up or the puck barely crossed the line, it seemed to be as routine of an icing as they get. You really gotta wonder what propelled the linesmen to wave it off
agreed. the ref made a mistake by waving it off.

just like the ref made a mistake on danny's goal.

they cancel out.

and pitt had a 3-1 lead after it, anyway.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:04 PM
  #838
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Pens fans are acting like it was the game momentum changer.
good. let them think they should have won and were robbed. it will only make them complacent friday.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:09 PM
  #839
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,744
vCash: 500

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:22 PM
  #840
nevermore
Cap space since 2005
 
nevermore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Austria
Posts: 11,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
That's my biggest concern. Now I think we're moving on to the over-officiated part of the series. Oh joy.
Doubt it. I see nobody complaining about the lack of penalties.

EDIT:

Claude Giroux ‏ @28CGiroux
Happy national grilled cheese day everyone!! Get it in ya!! #likeminewithketchup #dalishh

I was wondering if he'd acknowledge it.


Last edited by nevermore: 04-12-2012 at 02:29 PM.
nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:31 PM
  #841
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
No mention of the missed icing call though? I mean say both of those whistles happened, though the outcome might be different it's not as though the missed icing whistle was less obvious.
Dude, blown icing call was against the Flyers.
None issue!!!

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:38 PM
  #842
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Ketchup? yikes

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:18 PM
  #843
LI Fly Guy
Registered User
 
LI Fly Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 498
vCash: 500
@SheridanScribe: #Pens Orpik said Briere clearly offside on 1st goal but "they missed an icing on our third goal, too."

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:28 PM
  #844
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
@SheridanScribe: #Pens Orpik said Briere clearly offside on 1st goal but "they missed an icing on our third goal, too."
Glad the pens and Bylsma are more mature than Campbell

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:30 PM
  #845
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,403
vCash: 500
Can't wait for the officials with the quick trigger finger on Friday, now that they have essentially been threatened and made aware that they "owe" the penguins one. BS.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:32 PM
  #846
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,456
vCash: 633
Replay on CSN right now!!!!!

**** YEAH!!!!!

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:36 PM
  #847
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,744
vCash: 500
I've been watching the Schenn hit replays nonstop.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:39 PM
  #848
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
@SheridanScribe: #Pens Orpik said Briere clearly offside on 1st goal but "they missed an icing on our third goal, too."
at least they're not being d@uches about it

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:40 PM
  #849
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I've been watching the Schenn hit replays nonstop.
Me too. Bill Clement's reactions are fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
@SheridanScribe: #Pens Orpik said Briere clearly offside on 1st goal but "they missed an icing on our third goal, too."
Good man.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:45 PM
  #850
KarlSen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
TSN's

NHL UNHAPPY WITH MISSED OFFSIDE CALL ON FLYERS GOAL

headline made me laugh way more than it should have.

"We're as upset as Pittsburgh almost."
You don't say.

In other news, the NHL fined the Philadelphia Flyers $250,000 for beating the Pittsburgh Penguins in game one of their Stanley Cup playoff series. The fines are to escalate if behaviour unbecoming to NHL marketing preferences continues.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.