HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Eddie Shore, the forgotten legend

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2006, 06:09 PM
The_Eck

vCash: 500
Eddie Shore, the forgotten legend

When people always mention the greatest defensemen of all time, the names Larry Robinson, Orr, Potvin, Coffey, Bourque and others come up. Never does the name Eddie Shore come up in the conversation. This guy won 4 hart trophies as a defensemen which is one more than bobby orr has won.

Is this guy simply forgotten as one of the greats merely because he played in the early part of the twentieth century and the competition wasn't as great as it is now?? From the history i've read of the NHL, this guy was the dominant player of his era just as Orr was during his time.

Discuss.

Old
03-05-2006, 07:43 PM
God Bless Canada

Actually, Shore finished in the top 10 of THN's top 100 list released in 1998 (I believe he was third for defencemen), and when the all-time great defencemen are discussed in this part of HF Boards, Shore's name is always the first that comes up.

There was an absolutely brilliant post by justsomeguy on another Eddie Shore thread about two-and-a-half months ago. You can read it here:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=198576

For years, there have been old-timers in Boston who will tell you that Shore is the best defenceman ever, not Orr. I have him ranked at No. 2, edging out Doug Harvey in an almost dead heat.

Last edited by God Bless Canada: 03-05-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old
03-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Stephen

Actually, I notice people always mention Eddie Shore, even though most of them have never seen him play. Anyway, I think he's well represented in the all-time lists.

Old
03-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
in out all time drafts he usually goes in the top 25 players of all time

Old
03-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eck
When people always mention the greatest defensemen of all time, the names Larry Robinson, Orr, Potvin, Coffey, Bourque and others come up. Never does the name Eddie Shore come up in the conversation. This guy won 4 hart trophies as a defensemen which is one more than bobby orr has won.

Is this guy simply forgotten as one of the greats merely because he played in the early part of the twentieth century and the competition wasn't as great as it is now?? From the history i've read of the NHL, this guy was the dominant player of his era just as Orr was during his time.

Discuss.
You haven't been discussing the greatest defensemen here too much. Shore is almost always mentioned. In fact, I have his as the #2 defenseman of all time.

Closed Thread