HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth... I see trouble ahead

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2012, 02:20 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
Ryan Smyth... I see trouble ahead

Late in Tambellini's press conference, he mentions that the Oilers made an offer to Smyth before the trade deadline and he didn't take it [yet]. He implies that the ball is in his court, saying "he has the cards".

Quote:
We made an offer to Ryan prior to the end of the trade deadline... and it really hasn't progressed past that at this time []. We thought we'd have something done at that time, but, it didn't happen, so I don't really know. I mean Ryan is a free agent at the end of the season, so, you know, he has the cards.

Ultimately, though, it's Ryan's decision.
I've been speculating this for a while now, that I don't think Smyth's commitment to Edmonton is as concrete as people have assumed, and I think money is still an issue, particularly given he did not finish the season very well. I suspect he's still looking for the $3-4M range, and there's really no reason to pay him that given then entirety of the way he played this season.

On a different note, I could totally see Calgary going after him, and if it's true that they were interested when the Oilers made the trade for him, then he probably thinks in the back of his mind that he can at least shop between the two clubs and still stay close to home. And, Calgary being Calgary, I could totally see them signing him for 3 years @ $3.5M/year, NMC and everything. That's just what they do.

Question for discussion is primarily this: How much do you care about Smyth as an Oiler? Is he part of a team that makes the playoffs next year? What's Smyth's value, taking into consideration the entire season? What's the sentimentality worth?

I had thought when he came here he was pretty much through chasing the maximum contract, but who knows exactly how low the offer was. I can certainly imagine it was a bit of a splash of cold water on the face for him; he's regressed to a 3rd line role player where in he almost certainly still sees himself as top 6.

Quite frankly, the sentimentality is nearly gone for me. I'm just so sick of losing and failure... I'm willing to see whatever needs to be done to make this team better now and in the long run, and if that means seeing Smyth in a Flames jersey... so be it. I think he makes a good third liner, but a bad second liner, so you only pay him 3rd line money. I think he's only worth $2M / 2 years for this club; longer or more are both mistakes. If he ends up on your second line, you're probably a team looking at a lottery pick.

Last edited by stratedge: 04-12-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added quote from Tambellini
Old
04-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

vCash: 500
Nothing over 2.5 million a season.

Ideally one year term.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
04-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Honestly, since we're drafting Yakupov I really don't care. Along the wings, on the left side we have Hall, Hartikanen, Paajarvi and Eager. I'd rather give either Paajarvi a shot or keep Hartkianen in the top 6. Smyth has this idea he is worth way more than he is and I really don't think the team needs to unload a lot of money on to him at this point considering how useless he was for a good portion of last season.

I'd rather trade for Morrow than re-sign Smyth.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Nothing over 2.5 million a season.

Ideally one year term.
money next season doesnt matter.. we will have atleast 10M of cap room.
I would give him 4M 1yr over 2.5M x 2 yrs. We need all the cap room to sign Hall, Hartikainen and Ebs as RFAs and Smid as UFA after next season.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Honestly, since we're drafting Yakupov I really don't care. Along the wings, on the left side we have Hall, Hartikanen, Paajarvi and Eager. I'd rather give either Paajarvi a shot or keep Hartkianen in the top 6. Smyth has this idea he is worth way more than he is and I really don't think the team needs to unload a lot of money on to him at this point considering how useless he was for a good portion of last season.

I'd rather trade for Morrow than re-sign Smyth.
or sign Doan or Jagr as UFA.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
money next season doesnt matter.. we will have atleast 10M of cap room.
I would give him 4M 1yr over 2.5M x 2 yrs. We need all the cap room to sign Hall, Hartikainen and Ebs as RFAs and Smid as UFA after next season.
I'm tired of overpaying players who don't deserve it.

1 year, 2.5M.

Take it or leave it.

Old
Mr Forever

Quote:
or sign Doan as UFA.
Yeah exactly. If Smyth feels he's honestly worth 4mil, he can have fun trying to get that in Free Agency.

Giving Hemsky 5 mil? 4 mil for Smyth? My lord, what's Eberle going to demand? 17 mil?

Old
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
i want 1 year 2M.

Knowing it's a 2 year deal, I'd be okay with 2 years 3M. He's a good PKer and 3rd line forward. He's slow as molasses and cant keep up though...I think he's probably done.

Old
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Smyth should not be given 2 years. 1 year 3m or something is about all I'd do.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Wheatking

Smyth wants to be an Oiler a lot more than the Oilers need Smyth to be an Oiler. He had a terrible second half and might be taking a roster spot away from someone like Paajarvi or Hartikainen going forward.

He's not a top 6 player anymore and he's not worth overpaying. How much is Bertuzzi making? I wouldn't give Smyth more than 2.25M.

Old
488McFitter

I honestly think it's in the Oilers best interest not to resign him. Only if it's a hometown discount and very short term. But even so...if we draft Yakupov, which I think it would be a massive mistake not to, Smyth would be slated in as the 3rd string LW. I think there are better options if this team is serious about moving forward. We need a new and fresh image, and our bottom 6 needs to be big and strong to complement our talented top 6. Just my opinion.

Old
Gone
Fire KLowe

I don't see trouble here. It's simply time to move on. The vet's couldn't hold up their end and despite the fact that every team needs a solid mixture of vet's and youth ... it's time to move on and focus on the youthful energy and skill that the organization has assembled.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Smyth is just not the same player he was 5-10 years ago, and as shown in the latter half of the season, is just not an effective player. Bringing back Smyth IMO was a mistake in the first place. While it had sentimental value, it hurt the development of Paajarvi, who IMO is much more important moving forward than Smyth. Because of Smyth, Paajarvi was forced to play alongside THE ERIC and got no PP time whatsoever. I think the more important thing with Smyth is that he MUST agree to a bottom 6 role or GTFO, between Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky, Paajarvi, and Hartikainen, Smyth has no place in the top 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
i want 1 year 2M.

Knowing it's a 2 year deal, I'd be okay with 2 years 3M. He's a good PKer and 3rd line forward. He's slow as molasses and cant keep up though...I think he's probably done.
average at best

Old
04-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
I don't see trouble here. It's simply time to move on. The vet's couldn't hold up their end and despite the fact that every team needs a solid mixture of vet's and youth ... it's time to move on and focus on the youthful energy and skill that the organization has assembled.
The only thing is that Smyth might be useful if we do make the playoffs. I think a lot depends on how Hatikainen and Paajarvi perform in AHL playoffs.. If they look ready then Smyth can go to Flames if thats what he wants.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Mr Forever

We should go next year with all young guys.

Let Smyth walk, waive Belanger, Eager and all that crap, roll with:

Hart-RNH-Yakupov
Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Paajarvi-Lander-Hemsky
Petrell-Horcoff-Jones

**** it why not right ahahahah

Old
04-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
The only thing is that Smyth might be useful if we do make the playoffs. I think a lot depends on how Hatikainen and Paajarvi perform in AHL playoffs.. If they look ready then Smyth can go to Flames if thats what he wants.
Only if he skips the first 3/4 of the season.

He doesn't have the endurance to play that many games at a high level anymore.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:33 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2768
It won't be the end of the world if he doesn't come back. I'd like to have him back and think he can play a role, but he is slotting into the 3rd line next year. It won't be hard to replace. And I don't want to see someone saying we'd miss his leadership, because quite frankly if he were this ultimate leader he would've taken the bull by the horns and turned that locker room around last year.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:34 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
or sign Doan or Jagr as UFA.

Just not going to happen.

Old
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

I think people need to give their head a shake as to exactly how bad this club would've been last this season on and off ice without Smyths contributions.

On the season as a whole he was one of the better players on the club and certainly the best vet.

I had no problems with the Hemsky contract and said so at the time but if the team is going to do that with Hemsky and lowball Ryan Smyth then I'm less impressed.

Theres a lot that ails this club, but it isn't Ryan Smyth.

Old
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Smyth wants to be an Oiler a lot more than the Oilers need Smyth to be an Oiler. He had a terrible second half and might be taking a roster spot away from someone like Paajarvi or Hartikainen going forward.

He's not a top 6 player anymore and he's not worth overpaying. How much is Bertuzzi making? I wouldn't give Smyth more than 2.25M.
Nailed it right there.

I love the guy, but not long term either. 1 yr max 2.5 mil

Old
04-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Halibut

Smyth should be getting a one year deal and because he's 36 you can include bonuses but only on a 1 year deal not if he signs for 2 or 3 years. The team has to show they've learned how to use the CBA to their advantage and give him exactly that a 1 year bonus laden contract.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:36 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Smyth is a bit of an egomaniac IMO. I will always appreciate what he has done for the Oilers over the years but i don't understand why he would demand to be traded here and now become an annoyance to sign YET AGAIN.
He's rich beyond his wildest dreams and he's playing in the city that he loves, why doesn't he just buck up and sign the contract if not then just move on, it's always drama between him and Oilers management. He should realize that he's not a top 6 player anymore and take whatever contract he can get here (i can't imagine that it's too much of a lowball).

I honestly don't think that his ego will allow him to take a paycut and a reduced role with the team. I'm just speculating here so don't kill me too much for it but i'm starting to think that he might have been a part of the locker room trouble that the team was going through towards the end of the year maybe due to being demoted to the 3rd line. Suck it up Ryan, you're not the same player that you were even 2 years ago, sign a short term deal play in the bottom 6 and be the leader that you are capable of being.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Moose Coleman

I guess I'll go against the crowd and say I believe Smyth can still contribute as a top 6 player. IMO he would be more effective for longer if he had a little less ice time, but I think even if they draft Yakupov, Smyth would be an important piece for a playoff push next season. Plus I really want him to retire an Oiler!

Old
04-12-2012, 02:41 PM
BoldMcNewLettuce
Esquire

Smyth would need to reinvent his game completely post Yakupov....

I am all for it...but is he?

No more coasting and potting garbage goals....he will have to be a 200 ft energy player and play in the bottom six...and preferably be thankful for it.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:46 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
if smyth was smart he would sign sweetheart deals from here on so he has a chance to win a few cups before he is 40

Closed Thread