HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2012, 02:21 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
I like how there's "talk in Vancouver" about Kane.

In Winnipeg, I never heard talk about guys like Toews, Zajac, etc. being happy or unhappy with their teams. Where exactly is this "talk" happening?

Old
04-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Wpgpage

I highly doubt TOR wants Antro but Burkie has got to be feeling the heat, he needs to move out some of the bad contracts hes signed and get some cap space. The Leafs have only 7.6M in cap space with Kuli, Frattin, and Franson to sign as RFA's add in a back up goalie and they are looking at maybe 3M in cap space. A top 5 pick will have a cap hit close to that.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:31 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
From the main board

Antropov for Connolly + Lombardi + Holzer

Saves the leafs 4.25M in cap space only costs the Jets 2.75M more in real dollars, for doing this service to the Leafs the Jets get a big young Right handed Dman who could be paired with Stuart. Both are UFA's at seasons end they could be moved at the deadline for future pieces.

Kane-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Burmi-Lombardi
Cormier?-Connolly-Mach9
Glass-Slater-Thor

Connolly plays the 2nd shut down role and is a good C to pair with Cormier while he is learning the ropes in the league. Hes also a RH shot which helps, can hopefully move him for a pick if you figure you don't need him. Lombardi replaces Welly on the sheltered line, hopefully he has an OK season and regains some value you can deal him at the deadline.

Overall a bit of a different move, could work out well for the Jets.
Have a feeling Holzer is headed back to Europe this summer, but the trade is still a no brainer from my point of view.

Not a chance Burke actually offers this trade though. If he needs to make cap space he'll trade Connolly for a poor pick and bury Lombardi in the minors before he takes on Antropov.

Old
04-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I'm kind of interested in the notion that Chevy would be open to trading away the pick to acquire one of the assets we need in the short term.

I thought that was cool.

Now for a what if question. The last thing the Oilers need is another first round pick. What they need is a goalie, top pairing defensemen and some guys to fill out the third and fourth line.

If the Oilers wanted pavelec for their first, or for one of their main three(nuge, hall, and eberle), would you do it?

I don't think I would. As much as we need some help out front, and any one of those guys would do it, I personally believe that the basis for a great team starts between the two pipes.
I would consider it for Pavs. Sorry to say but I do think he could be replaceable if it is for gaining some much needed offensive power/eliteness. Hopefully our D will be more well rounded and mature next season to help our back end out a bit more as well. A goalie which could fill the void for a season or two which is an UFA could be J. Harding and could even maybe work some kind of deal for Dubnyk who is a RFA this season.

Just my opinion on the matter as it is hypothetical

Old
04-11-2012, 05:37 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
If the Oilers wanted pavelec for their first, or for one of their main three(nuge, hall, and eberle), would you do it?
Without question
Pavs is more easily replaceable then getting a guy like The Yak

Old
04-11-2012, 05:58 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
(...)

(...)
I love Pavelec. I believe Pavs is moving his way up the ladder of top goalies in the league. Even given that: I would trade Pavs for this years 1st, and would consider an offer for either RNH or Eberle. I'm not sold on Hall: talented, but plays dangerously/recklessly, and he's not big enough to do so. Just MO.

Old
04-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Wpgpage

!Dollars and Cents!

All numbers taken from Cappgeek.com

While we would all like to Jets to go out and sign the big free agents TNSE has indicated that they are on a budget and will not be looking to spend above the mid level. When looking at contracts we often look at cap hit, the Jets have over 27 million in cap space next year. However looking at the actual salaries can yield a different perspective. Taking the mid cap at 56.3M and the lower side at 54.3-56.3 as the Jets target spending level.

Jets 2012-2013 Salary Commitments:
36.525M
+.912M
37.437M
RFA resigns:
Kane 4.0M
Mach9 .750M
Pavs 2.9M
7.65M

Totals = 45.087M
This leaves 9.213M to 11.213M to spend on UFA's

UFA Resigns:
Slater 1.350M
Glass .850M
Mason 1.6M
3.8M

Totals 48.887M on 12 F 6 D and 2 G

So in total the Jets will have about 5.413M in open dollars between them and the teams limit, that being said this group of 12 forwards is rather week and would be weaker than the group used in 11/12. Of course if the Jets move salary out via trades they would gain more space. Interesting way to look at it, we assume the Jets could add any amount of salary based on their cap space but in reality they are probably looking at closer to 5.4M in spending ability.

Old
04-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Sweech
COYS!

What would you guys think if Chevy went after someone like Brad Stuart in the offseason?

Gives the team more veteran presence. He's been a part of a "winning culture". Gives the team the size it wants and could potentially line up as a solid mentor for Bogosian. His obvious flaws are the lack of offensive abilities, but his defensive play and tenacity is very solid.

I guess the dollars and years would be the main thing they'd need to work out.

Old
04-11-2012, 07:42 PM
YWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
What would you guys think if Chevy went after someone like Brad Stuart in the offseason?

Gives the team more veteran presence. He's been a part of a "winning culture". Gives the team the size it wants and could potentially line up as a solid mentor for Bogosian. His obvious flaws are the lack of offensive abilities, but his defensive play and tenacity is very solid.

I think Stuart has already indicated he wants to play close to his family in California. He would be a great addition, but it looks like we have no shot at him.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
LOTS of talk in Vancouver about Kane being unhappy in Wpg.

Any truth to this?
Out of curiosity, where is all this "talk" talking place?

Old
04-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
No kidding I can't find it either.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Bane99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post

Facebook or Twitter maybe?

Old
04-11-2012, 11:51 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Gaustad is a guy id like to see us sign. 6'5 nice big 4th line center. Hes from Fargo, ND. Maybe we can get sell him on that.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Jay McClement is another bottom 6, faceoff, guy we could target.

Not as big as Gaustad, but still great defensively.

I actually didn't think about him until I heard some Colorado fans raving about him.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Huffer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG View Post
I think Stuart has already indicated he wants to play close to his family in California. He would be a great addition, but it looks like we have no shot at him.
I agree. I think Stuart either goes to California, or stays in Detroit. Can't see why he would come here.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Huffer

Quote:
!Dollars and Cents!

All numbers taken from Cappgeek.com

While we would all like to Jets to go out and sign the big free agents TNSE has indicated that they are on a budget and will not be looking to spend above the mid level. When looking at contracts we often look at cap hit, the Jets have over 27 million in cap space next year. However looking at the actual salaries can yield a different perspective. Taking the mid cap at 56.3M and the lower side at 54.3-56.3 as the Jets target spending level.

Jets 2012-2013 Salary Commitments:
36.525M
+.912M
37.437M
RFA resigns:
Kane 4.0M
Mach9 .750M
Pavs 2.9M
7.65M

Totals = 45.087M
This leaves 9.213M to 11.213M to spend on UFA's

UFA Resigns:
Slater 1.350M
Glass .850M
Mason 1.6M
3.8M

Totals 48.887M on 12 F 6 D and 2 G

So in total the Jets will have about 5.413M in open dollars between them and the teams limit, that being said this group of 12 forwards is rather week and would be weaker than the group used in 11/12. Of course if the Jets move salary out via trades they would gain more space. Interesting way to look at it, we assume the Jets could add any amount of salary based on their cap space but in reality they are probably looking at closer to 5.4M in spending ability.
Nice work. Puts things into better perspective when you consider the teams internal budget.

5 or 6 million on an additional player(s) would be nice though.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Wpgpage

If they move one of Hainsey or Toby that will open up between 3.00M and 4.50M to spend on additional players, the one thing they do have to worry about is 13/14 they have a lot of players in line for raises and Buffs deal jumps up to 5.75M that year as well. If they sign anyone to multi year deals front loading them might be a good idea to free up dollars for next off season.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:29 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Jay McClement is another bottom 6, faceoff, guy we could target.
I always trade for him in NHL 12

Old
04-12-2012, 12:37 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
If they move one of Hainsey or Toby that will open up between 3.00M and 4.50M to spend on additional players, the one thing they do have to worry about is 13/14 they have a lot of players in line for raises and Buffs deal jumps up to 5.75M that year as well. If they sign anyone to multi year deals front loading them might be a good idea to free up dollars for next off season.
The only thing that matters is the cap hit. TNSE has money to burn. An extra few grand is not a big deal.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I know I might be on the Colin Wilson train, but I think he is a healthy scratch tonight in game 1.

I think that is relevant to a discussion as to his availability.

Tootoo as well looks to be a healthy scratch.
Quoteing yourself might be a no no, but I just wanted to update that both Wilson and Tootoo were healthy scratches last night.

I'm not a huge fan of Tootoo. But I would LOVE for Chevy to kick the tires on Wilson. Depending on what happens with Suter and Radulov, and also if the Preds can go far and are looking for something to take them to the next step, I would think that they would be willing to deal a guy they are not playing.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Wpgpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
The only thing that matters is the cap hit. TNSE has money to burn. An extra few grand is not a big deal.
They may have money to burn now but smart organizations make sure they plan ahead, I would like this team to be around for a while so if they want to keep the payroll low $ wise I'm fine with that.

Old
04-12-2012, 01:59 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Quoteing yourself might be a no no, but I just wanted to update that both Wilson and Tootoo were healthy scratches last night.

I'm not a huge fan of Tootoo. But I would LOVE for Chevy to kick the tires on Wilson. Depending on what happens with Suter and Radulov, and also if the Preds can go far and are looking for something to take them to the next step, I would think that they would be willing to deal a guy they are not playing.
Noticed that too , depending on whom Nashville resigns , Wilson could very well be avaialabe and of interest to Winnipeg. He isn't happy about playing , I know that is becoming a big issue for him , which helps Winnipeg.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

To be honest, i'd love both Tootoo and Wilson. I think they both add something we lack. These two would be two very good additions, as far as I am concerned.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
04-12-2012, 05:04 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
To be honest, i'd love both Tootoo and Wilson. I think they both add something we lack. These two would be two very good additions, as far as I am concerned.
This morning I went by the Preds board and asked about Tootoo. It appears the feeling is that while he is still loved by the fans he has been passed by a couple younger energy guys. Feeling was it was likely his last year as a Pred. Personaly I would love to see him in a Jet uniform next season, and he might come relatively cheap.

Old
04-12-2012, 05:31 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

I don't Winnipeg would be a good spot for Jordin Tootoo concerning his personal life. Probably to many old "friends" and influences there.

Closed Thread