HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Part 2) #ECQF 1|Apr. 11, 2012|Flyers at Penguins

Old
04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

vCash: 500
my facebook is making me angry with all the people condemning the "bandwagoners". I want as many people as possible to enjoy hockey, and the perfect time to start experiencing and to get hooked on it is during the playoffs, but now they can't because they will be labelled as "bandwagoners".

And the people saying this were never talking about the Flyers until like 2 weeks ago anyway

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:57 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
@SheridanScribe: #Pens Orpik said Briere clearly offside on 1st goal but "they missed an icing on our third goal, too."
Orpik fined $20K for speaking out against Pens interest.......er, cursing.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:09 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
@SheridanScribe: #Pens Orpik said Briere clearly offside on 1st goal but "they missed an icing on our third goal, too."
Will Orpik be fined by the league?

Edit - hmm I better read the thread until the last post next time...

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:11 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Holy ****, reading the main board GDT thread was beat hour I have ever had at work

1st thread loaded with mouthy Pens fans, 2nd thread, just absolute pure gold

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Holy ****, reading the main board GDT thread was beat hour I have ever had at work

You've peaked my interest.... I'll be back

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:29 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post

I spent the whole day reading the playoff discussion threads of every board. Kinda fun when 85% are celebrating Jake's OT goal.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:32 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

It is funny how much the league defends the Penguins. Like I dont know how much more evidence one needs to see the favor-ism.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Bettman was probably livid.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
It is funny how much the league defends the Penguins. Like I dont know how much more evidence one needs to see the favor-ism.
dude some of pen fans are actually complaining about only them being robbed by refs all season

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
You've peaked my interest.... I'll be back
I hate to be that guy (I really do), but just in case you care, and for future reference, it's "piqued."

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
I spent the whole day reading the playoff discussion threads of every board. Kinda fun when 85% are celebrating Jake's OT goal.
Ive noticed flyer fans are not great spellers when their team scores an ot playoff goal. Atleast for the first 20 seconds after the goal.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:21 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
I hate to be that guy (I really do), but just in case you care, and for future reference, it's "piqued."
one of my pet peeves is when people use mobile when they really mean motile.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
i should of known

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Well, technically his interest could be at peak levels due to the post.

04-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Jack de la Hoya

I'm posting this here (in addition to a thread in the Penguins board) for posterity, and in case any one wants to use it to educate the (minority) of Penguins fans who steadfastly insist the icing call was correctly NOT made, and, mostly, because it took me like 10 minutes to write it up and I figured someone should read it--and somehow suspect it won't be welcome there and, perhaps, purged for factuality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinfire View Post
That was actually called correctly. The icing was waived off because Dupuis could have played the puck if he wasn't contacted by a defender. It's rule 81.5 I believe in the rule book. Coburn just gave up on the play.
I hate to do this, but there seems to be some confusion on the rule, which is, as you suggested, covered in Section 81.

Quote:

"81.1 Icing – For the purpose of this rule, the center red line will divide the ice into halves. Should any player of a team, equal or superior in numerical strength (power-play) to the opposing team, shoot, bat or deflect the puck from his own half of the ice beyond the goal line of the opposing team, play shall be stopped.

For the purpose of this rule, the point of last contact with the puck by the team in possession shall be used to determine whether icing has occurred or not. As such, the team in possession must “gain the line” in order for the icing to be nullified. “Gaining the line” shall mean that the puck (not the player’s skate) must make contact with the center red line in order to nullify a potential icing.

For the purpose of interpretation of the rule, “icing the puck” is completed the instant the puck is touched first by a defending player (other than the goalkeeper) after it has crossed the goal line and if in the action of so touching the puck, it is knocked or deflected into the net, it is no goal.

Any contact between opposing players while pursuing the puck on an icing must be for the sole purpose of playing the puck and not for eliminating the opponent from playing the puck. Unnecessary or dangerous contact could result in penalties being assessed to the offending player.

The puck striking or deflecting off an official does not automatically nullify a potential icing."
To negate icing:

Quote:
"81.5 No Icing – When the puck is shot and rebounds from the body or stick of an opponent in his own half of the ice so as to cross the goal line of the player shooting, it shall not be considered “icing.”
When a puck is shot by a team from their own half of the ice and is deflected several times before crossing the center red line, icing shall be nullified if at least one of these deflections was off an opposing player.

If a player of the side shooting the puck down the ice who is on-side and eligible to play the puck does so before it is touched by an opposing player, the play shall continue and it shall not be considered a violation of this rule.

If the puck shall go beyond the goal line in the opposite half of the ice directly from either of the players while facing-off, it shall not be considered a violation of this rule.

If, in the opinion of the Linesman, any player (other than the goalkeeper) of the opposing team is able to play the puck before it passes his goal line, but has not done so, play shall continue and the icing violation shall not be called. This includes the situation whereby the opposing team, while in the process of making player substitutions during the play, are able to play the puck, but choose not to do so to avoid being called for too many men on the ice. Icing should not be called.

The Linesman shall have discretion to wave off apparent icing infractions on attempted passes if those passes are deemed receivable (attainable). In order for the Linesman to wash out the icing for this reason, the receiving player’s stick must be on the attacking side of the center red line and he must be eligible to receive the pass (e.g. he cannot be in an off-side position and cannot be involved in a player change that would result in a too many men on the ice penalty if he were to play the puck).
If the puck touches any part of a player of the opposing side, including his skates or his stick, or if it touches any part of the opposing team’s goalkeeper, including his skates or his stick, at any time before or after crossing the goal line, it shall not be considered icing.

If a goalkeeper takes any action to dislodge the puck from the back of the net, icing shall not be called.
What your alluding to is covered in the penultimate paragraph of 81.1--but that only allows for calling an interference penalty, not canceling the icing.

I think we can all agree that the first several paragraphs of the second section don't apply. All that is in question is whether the Flyers played the puck (which he clearly didn't), whether Dupuis was the intended recipient, or whether Dupuis touched the puck. On the latter two points: Dupuis was on his own side of the redline, basically at his own blue line. If he touched the puck, it is still icing, and if it missed him, the "intended pass" exception doesn't apply because he hadn't reached the redline.

TSN's judgement notwithstanding, Orpik admitted that the officials missed the icing call.

Whether or not the rule is always so strictly enforced, I don't think its much of a stretch to say that the call was wrong.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, technically his interest could be at peak levels due to the post.
^This guy knows what I was thinking

Anyway I have returned from The Abyss that is the main board entertained and apparently learned a new word thanks to Amateur Hour. It actually doesn't bother me I would rather be informed on the correct word then continue being ignorant to the difference.

I also have returned with this picture that I found to be worth a good lol:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...59357167_n.jpg

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:30 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:36 PM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
what really happened..

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
I can't believe how much attention one blown call is getting. People are acting like refs get everything right all the time. It's not like it was the game tying goal or game winner. The Pens had 3 power plays before we saw our first, and blew a 3 goal lead only to lose in overtime. Talk about a scapegoat for a terrible meltdown.
If people are talking more about a bad call than the meltdown itself, then whoever is driving that story is doing it right. Taking the focus off the fact that they collapsed.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:46 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Watch Simmonds...

And then watch everyone else climb and claw their way over the boards.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Watch Simmonds...

And then watch everyone else climb and claw their way over the boards.
Hell of a good athlete, that one.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
what really happened..
i'm peeing myself !

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old