HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Suspension for Shea Weber, $2500 fine

Old
04-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Tennman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I do not agree with the outcome of the act matching the punishment either. I think it should be the potential of injury based on the action. As silly as Weber's WWF move was, it had little chance of actually hurting Zetterberg.
It is no different than in our legal system. There is a different punishment for murder than for attempted murder.

Tennman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:10 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutjeff View Post
You guys are lucky that Shanny is an ex-Wing, he seems to bend over backwards to prove that there is no favoritism.
Before the ruling, many were saying suspension mainly because of his Wings favoritism. I guess it swings both ways.

yes...ew.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:19 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Fined? Seriously? Don't agree with this at all. He shouldn't have gotten anything... Weak NHL. All you are doing is telling your players that it is ok to make runs at your star players with your elbows out in the last 2 seconds of the game. AND THEN telling your star players that they can't retaliate. Weak.

Brutal.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:34 PM
wingnutjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Before the ruling, many were saying suspension mainly because of his Wings favoritism. I guess it swings both ways.

yes...ew.
Yes, but those saying that were not basing it on previous rulings from Shanny. He has been quite lenient on those committing offenses against the wings and was rather tough on a couple wings for first time offenses.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:45 PM
preds1

vCash: 605
Ruutu got 1 game last year for knocking out Erats teeth in an open ice headshot in the 1st round vs. the Ducks.

This wasn't as bad as that, but still don't condone the action.

preds1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:01 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050
Shanny really going out of his way to avoid looking like a Wing homer, I think.

And the best part, the Wings aren't going to do a thing about it. It's not their style. We are tougher, we can hang with their offense, and our team defense is better than theirs. This one is going to come down to hustle and bounces.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:07 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
So stupid with no injury gets $2500 ... once again it's not the action of the offender that dictates the punishment, but, the outcome of the act.
Just like criminal law.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:11 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennman View Post
It is no different than in our legal system. There is a different punishment for murder than for attempted murder.
Exactly all the way throught it!!!

Thats why there 1st 2nd 3rd 4th degree assaults and offencive touching on top of that.

And the best part same blow to the head can guarant any of the mentioned...

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die

Gimmie a hell yeah!

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:05 PM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTheTerror View Post

Gimmie a hell yeah!
That's actually pretty awesome, ha.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
That's actually pretty awesome, ha.
Weber 316 means I just turn buckled your face off the glass, cracked your helmet and probably gave you a concussion. Oh and I only get fined 2500 because I am a superstar. Not trying to troll, just pointing out what a bush league the NHL has become. Like cmon, really?

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:18 PM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Weber 316 means I just turn buckled your face off the glass, cracked your helmet and probably gave you a concussion. Oh and I only get fined 2500 because I am a superstar. Not trying to troll, just pointing out what a bush league the NHL has become. Like cmon, really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TwLOOFvzS4

I want Weber to start skating out onto the ice to this. Stone Cold is kindof a southern icon, I think it could actually catch on.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:23 PM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TwLOOFvzS4

I want Weber to start skating out onto the ice to this. Stone Cold is kindof a southern icon, I think it could actually catch on.
The media people need to work it into the song rotation on Friday.

ffwrx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Legionnaire11

There's still a car down the street from my buddy in Ashland City that's painted in all black primer with red "Austin 3:16" on the side!!!

WWE hasn't been watchable for me since the Austin years, nobody has a gimmick anymore.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:04 PM
LukeD
On Fire

Quote:

Gimmie a hell yeah!

LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:08 PM
braindead

Guys, just got a copy of the hearing call transcript from Shea's attorney- interesting stuff:

Shanny: Shea were you provoked?
Webs: [muffled wheezey voice] Ohhhh yeeeeeeeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....
Shanny: What?
Attorney: He's channeling Macho Man Randy Savage... just ignore him and get to the details.
Shanny: Ok look Shea did he hit you in the head?
Webs: Listen BS-- I'm gonna call you BS-- he can't hit my head when he's picking up his jock now can he?
Attorney: That's a no.
Shanny: Back? Leg? Foot?
Webs: He stomped on my partner Jon Blum's foot.
Shanny: That was last year. Different team. Different player. You didn't even partner with Blum.
Webs: No way. He's a twitter-fa..
Attorney: <interrupts> It's a concussion.... let's just say Z hit Shea in the head ok?
Shanny: Got it. Did you say anything to him?
Webs: I said "Whatcha gonna do when Webermania runs wild over you".
Attorney: <interrupts> Typical game banter, no harm, no fou-
Webs: <interrupts>Then I started counting ONE, TWO, THR-
Attorney: <interrupts> Indicating the number of Preds goals scored last night. It's a Bridgestone tradition.

Shanny: Let's move on. Shea, did you intend to hurt him?
Webs: If I intended to hurt him, he'd BE HURT. He'd be hurt baaaaddddd. Bodybag bad. I shot a puck through the net, man. I can bring the heat.

<long silence>

Attorney: Hard to argue that one...
Shanny: Yep. Dang, he's a bad-ass.
Webs: Ohhhhhh yeeeeaaaahhhhhhh......
Attorney: Concussion. Can we suspend Z for this?

Shanny: Look I'm going to fine you $2,500 which represents .00000003% of your salary.
Webs: I can shake down Ryan Ellis for that in like six seconds...
Attorney:<interrupts> --friends may contribute to a support fund for him--
Webs: I made that p***y Phil Kessel give me 1Ok at the All Star Game-
Attorney:<interrupts> Players from other teams love the guy Shanny, they really do.

Shanny: Ok, let's wrap this up. Shea can I trust you to play up to the line but not over it for the rest of the playoffs?
Webs: As long as I get to draw the line with these 24 inch pythons bro...
Attorney: Shea appreciates the difficulty of your job and respects the integrity of the league. We're hanging up now and...
Webs: <interrupts> AND THE TITLE BELT IS COMING HOME FOR A RIDE ON SPACE MOUNTAIN, BABY!!!!!

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:18 PM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post

Webs: If I intended to hurt him, he'd BE HURT. He'd be hurt baaaaddddd. Bodybag bad. I shot a puck through the net, man. I can bring the heat.

<long silence>

Shanny: Look I'm going to fine you $2,500 which represents .00000003% of your salary.
Attorney:<interrupts> Players from other teams love the guy Shanny, they really do.

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:29 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Bottom line is Zetterberg had virtually no chance of getting hurt on the play. Getting his visor mashed 3in from the glass isn't going to hurt anyone, as much as Zetterberg tried to sell it afterwards. Suspensions should be measured on the potential for causing injury.

Even-though there was virtually no chance of a Zetterberg injury, it was a dumb play by Weber. He shouldn't blatantly target people like that. I don't see how Bertuzzi's targeting of Gaustaud is any different though. Both should not happen in an ideal hockey world.

Will make for interesting theater. Wings have very little muscle to push people around if they plan to retaliate physically.

I'd put in Tootoo over Yip after this though.... we need someone willing to drop the gloves and stir **** up in a way only Tootoo can do (and it's usually legal). Get them targeting Tootoo... he thrives in those situations.
Exactly no way a 6'0 200 pound hockey player wearing a helmet gets hurt after the force of getting pushed in the back of the head by an arm into a spring board wall of glass that has give in it. It was all a show by Zetterberg which is one of Detroits many actors.

No one is talking about Zetterburg hitting Weber from behind and Webers face head bouncing off of the glass which is why Weber acted the way he did. Maybe Weber should have punched him square in the face like Bertuzzi did Goose and it would have been ok.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:45 PM
NorthAlPredfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Guys, just got a copy of the hearing call transcript from Shea's attorney- interesting stuff:

Shanny: Shea were you provoked?
Webs: [muffled wheezey voice] Ohhhh yeeeeeeeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....
Shanny: What?
Attorney: He's channeling Macho Man Randy Savage... just ignore him and get to the details.
Shanny: Ok look Shea did he hit you in the head?
Webs: Listen BS-- I'm gonna call you BS-- he can't hit my head when he's picking up his jock now can he?
Attorney: That's a no.
Shanny: Back? Leg? Foot?
Webs: He stomped on my partner Jon Blum's foot.
Shanny: That was last year. Different team. Different player. You didn't even partner with Blum.
Webs: No way. He's a twitter-fa..
Attorney: <interrupts> It's a concussion.... let's just say Z hit Shea in the head ok?
Shanny: Got it. Did you say anything to him?
Webs: I said "Whatcha gonna do when Webermania runs wild over you".
Attorney: <interrupts> Typical game banter, no harm, no fou-
Webs: <interrupts>Then I started counting ONE, TWO, THR-
Attorney: <interrupts> Indicating the number of Preds goals scored last night. It's a Bridgestone tradition.

<long silence>

Webs: Ohhhhhh yeeeeaaaahhhhhhh......
Attorney: Concussion. Can we suspend Z for this?

Shanny: Ok, let's wrap this up. Shea can I trust you to play up to the line but not over it for the rest of the playoffs?
Webs: As long as I get to draw the line with these 24 inch pythons bro...
Attorney: Shea appreciates the difficulty of your job and respects the integrity of the league. We're hanging up now and...
Webs: <interrupts> AND THE TITLE BELT IS COMING HOME FOR A RIDE ON SPACE MOUNTAIN, BABY!!!!!
+1

NorthAlPredfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

the annoying thing is that if we go on to win the series, DRW fans will say, "it's only because Weber wasn't suspended, and Zetterberg was secretly playing with a bleeding brain due to the impact of the massively violent hit"

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Risky F
Don't Mess Up.

Quote:
Bottom line is Zetterberg had virtually no chance of getting hurt on the play. Getting his visor mashed 3in from the glass isn't going to hurt anyone, as much as Zetterberg tried to sell it afterwards. Suspensions should be measured on the potential for causing injury.
My head hurts from reading this. Intent to injury is there. Weber got superstar treatment. He is a repeat offender and only gets a fine? Shanny is a chicken for this one.

Risky F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Legionnaire11

now Wings fans are going with "Zetterberg's helmet was cracked"... it might be, but it sure wasn't from THAT, and if it was could have just been time for that helmet to go. If the helmet had 100% structural integrity and Weber hit Z's head hard enough to crack it, Zetterberg would be done for the playoffs and most of next season.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:55 PM
RollingPredFan

I have to say if this was anyone else there would have been a suspension. I thought this was WAY worse than what Radulov got 2 games for, but oh well.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:57 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky F View Post
My head hurts from reading this. Intent to injury is there. Weber got superstar treatment. He is a repeat offender and only gets a fine? Shanny is a chicken for this one.
A punch to the face is an intent to harm. With 2 seconds left in the game flying up elbows out and knocking a players head into the glass who is playing the puck is intent to harm. Lets suspend Bertuzzi, Zetterberg, and Weber. Lets also suspend every player who punched, choked, and threw Horny down to the ice this year. All of those are intent to hurt. GTFO!

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Risky F
Don't Mess Up.

those other plays are hockey hits, there was nothing to do with hockey when Weber smashed his face into the glass. Star player treatment > player safety i guess.

Risky F is offline   Reply With Quote