HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth... I see trouble ahead

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2012, 06:00 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian slips View Post
Should Hemsky have been offered 3rd line money too then? Smyth had a better year, despite his tail off

7 year age gap, something like 75% of Smyths out put was in the first half of the season

Smyth was mostly on the third line and hemsky was on the second.

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
Old
04-12-2012, 06:00 PM
questhockey

vCash: 500
Only reason I would sign Smyth, would be to trade him next year at deadline Send him to a team on the bubble, who will overpay for a leader/grinder. Get a good draft/ young prospect.
That is when Smyth will pay back for all the loyalty he's been given.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:03 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Should Hemsky have been offered 3rd line money too then? Smyth had a better year, despite his tail off
I think you can rationalize a difference between a player who's under 30, and been close to a ppg player up until this year versus an aging veteran, who's had a hard team reaching ppg status his entire career.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
7 year age gap, something like 75% of Smyths out put was in the first half of the season

Smyth killed penalties and played hard every game...I'm not a Smyth apologist (not trying to be anyways), but if Hemsky is overpaid then why can't Smyth expect the same?

The age gap is certainly a factor....I guess I'm more anti-Hemsky (and his contract) than pro-Smyth...both need to sit in the back while the kids start driving the bus.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:09 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post

Smyth spent most of the year in the top six.

He was fifth among Oilers' forwards in even strength time on ice per game this season. The next winger down isn't even close.

Quote:
Smyth killed penalties and played hard every game...I'm not a Smyth apologist (not trying to be anyways), but if Hemsky is overpaid then why can't Smyth expect the same?
Hemsky was given more money than he deserves because he was willing to accept a two year deal. Hemsky also has the potential to be a $5 million player.

Someone earlier in the thread said that Smyth wants a multiple year deal AND an overpayment. Doesn't work that way Smytty!

Old
04-12-2012, 06:12 PM
McArthur

i want to feel bad for the man, but last time it was the negotiations that cost him a job. i hope he retires an oiler, feel good story..... but i hope that happens next year if not this year! Don't know what he has left to prove, or if he has what it takes to do it! if he can't crack the top 6, or be productive on the 3rd line, he shouldn't be an oiler.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:13 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
I feel Hemsky and Horcoff are vastly overpaid for what they actually do...

I'm not advocating throwing the bank at Smyth, but its a little hypocritical for some to suggest he should take a haircut salary wise while the other 'vets' are still eating their cake
The reason why we can't afford to just bend to Smyth's will again is because those vets are "eating their cake". We can't afford to add another contract like that.

If Smyth wants to be reasonable and accept his role at his age then great. I'd like to have him here in a bottom 6 spot. But if he still wants big money and minutes then he can go play for Calgary. Maybe he can even wrangle a NMC out of them.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:22 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Let him walk. Either he'll get overpaid by Calgary or take a cut to stay here.

Guy did **** all for ~50 games.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
I feel Hemsky and Horcoff are vastly overpaid for what they actually do...

I'm not advocating throwing the bank at Smyth, but its a little hypocritical for some to suggest he should take a haircut salary wise while the other 'vets' are still eating their cake
I thought Smyth came back because he realized that money wasn't everything, and this is where he felt would be best for his family.

He already made over $6+ million this season, and he delivered as a third liner for us.

We paid him double of what he actually delivered. He should take that as an advance on the next contract. But as always, he's only ever been about the money.

Using your logic, everyone on the islanders would want 20 year deals.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:28 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I'm tired of overpaying players who don't deserve it.

1 year, 2.5M.

Take it or leave it.
This.

If he wants to play, we have a spot for him, but just barely.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:34 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I think people need to give their head a shake as to exactly how bad this club would've been last this season on and off ice without Smyths contributions.

On the season as a whole he was one of the better players on the club and certainly the best vet.

I had no problems with the Hemsky contract and said so at the time but if the team is going to do that with Hemsky and lowball Ryan Smyth then I'm less impressed.

Theres a lot that ails this club, but it isn't Ryan Smyth.
I hope he takes 1 year contract in the 3-4M range. There is still space for Smyth on the team--Hartikainen and Lander can and should spend 1 more year in the AHL, unless they absolutely earn the roster spot.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Matador

Winning the draft lottery has significantly changed how the Oilers need to approach Smyth. There will likely be three, first round picks with cap hits of $3.75m next season. A couple weeks ago, a Hemsky contract that didn't seem so bad is all of a sudden a bit of a problem. The Oilers shouldn't be offering anything more than 1 year of term for Smyth if they intend to seriously pursue a $4-5m defensemen this summer.

Note, this spreadsheet is a very rough estimate. You could make arguments that certain players are over/underpaid. Specifically Hemsky's replacement which likely wont need $3.5m as there will be 4 quality top 6 wingers.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG‎ (31.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Matador: 04-12-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old
04-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Winning the draft lottery has significantly changed how the Oilers need to approach Smyth. There will likely be three, first round picks with cap hits of $3.75m next season. A couple weeks ago, a Hemsky contract that didn't seem so bad is all of a sudden a bit of a problem. The Oilers shouldn't be offering anything more than 1 year of term for Smyth if they intend to seriously pursue a $4-5m defensemen this summer.
Good post.

I personally think Hemsky and Smyth need to go before RNH and Yakupov are extended, unless we can get the Horcoff salary entirely off the books.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:40 PM
TowMater14

Smyth has ALWAYS been a PIA to re sign. The whole reason why he left town with alligator tears last time. Good riddance Smitty, go get your big bucks somewhere else. To be honest, I really don't think that there would be a huge market for Smyth anymore.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:42 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Good post.

I personally think Hemsky and Smyth need to go before RNH and Yakupov are extended, unless we can get the Horcoff salary entirely off the books.
He can be buried in the minors after next season.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Awesome. Good to know.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:48 PM
oilexport

One thing I notice about playoffs so far: The Teams have speed, size, and talent. Smyth and Horcoff do not display any of these traits.

Get rid of Smyth as fast as you can, Horcoff is a little harder but they will both destroy our playoff chances for next year.

We now have very high level players that have been leaders all their lives.

Horcoff and Smyth can only lead us to the sewer...once again.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Or in my backyard this season.

Ive got empty holes for Gagner and Hemsky too.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:51 PM
McClelland

smyth brings leadership on the ice and in the lockerroom for our youngsters, but we are luckily in a position that we dont need him so badly so we overpay him for old meriths sake. i hope he understand that and then he can be a part of the start of the oilers journey to glory again

Old
04-12-2012, 06:52 PM
okgooil

Well, nothing much you can do, give him a fair offer, if he doesn't take it well good day.

I still would love to see him stay. We need some veteran leadership. I would love to offer him a three year deal with a really low cap hit. 3 years 6 mill.

He is going to be a 15 goal 30 point player the rest of his career.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:53 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
smyth brings leadership on the ice and in the lockerroom for our youngsters, but we are luckily in a position that we dont need him so badly so we overpay him for old meriths sake. i hope he understand that and then he can be a part of the start of the oilers journey to glory again
If Smyth brings so much leadership, why has he never been a captain?

Old
04-12-2012, 06:58 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Well, nothing much you can do, give him a fair offer, if he doesn't take it well good day.

I still would love to see him stay. We need some veteran leadership. I would love to offer him a three year deal with a really low cap hit. 3 years 6 mill.

He is going to be a 15 goal 30 point player the rest of his career.
No need for 3 year contracts. IMHO, they can give him 3.5 million this year. Then 2 next year. 1M the year after. But it has to be 1 year contracts. If he wants a long-term, than he really is not a good fit and they should just find a competent veteran bottom 6-er on the cheap in the off-season.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:59 PM
I see only darkness

vCash: 761
1 year 2.5 has until draft to sign it if not the contract is off the table.

He will be missed but maybe ( and i have no information this is true except rumors) he was part of the problem in the dressing room. Unwilling to pass on the torch?

Old
04-12-2012, 07:08 PM
armandh01

I'm an ***hole and would only offer him nothing and tell him, thanks but your role is easy to replace and there are younger players that deserve more time.

Old
04-12-2012, 07:10 PM
trent_vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
One thing I notice about playoffs so far: The Teams have speed, size, and talent. Smyth and Horcoff do not display any of these traits.

Get rid of Smyth as fast as you can, Horcoff is a little harder but they will both destroy our playoff chances for next year.

We now have very high level players that have been leaders all their lives.

Horcoff and Smyth can only lead us to the sewer...once again.
I was watching the LA/VAN game last night and thought the same thing too. I know it's playoffs and all, and players put it into another gear, but the thought popped into my head while I was watching what a disaster Horcoff and Smyth would be in a game like that.

Closed Thread