HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

He was a sk8ter boi, she said see ya later boy.

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Afino
The Juice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoalie View Post
Last time I was at my dealership I checked out the Cruzes they had. Very nice cars for the money. Did you get the turbo?
I didn't. Due to budgetary concerns, I went with a lower trim.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
Congrats! Now the fun part begins where the bitter parents on other teams talk **** about you about winning the championship and say you put winning over a team "experience."
LOL. And they would be correct. We made a decision after we won the first playoff game that we rolled the lines and gave everyone equal playing time all season and that if it came to shortening the bench to get the win we would do so.

The championship game we were down 2-0 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd. We went from 14 skater to 7 skaters; left the same two D and center on the ice , and rotated wingers. We scored 1, the other coach called a timeout, we scored another 30 seconds later to tie it up. Then we scored the 3rd with 12.5 seconds left.

We also had to shorten the bench the previous game. After that game, I had a dad come up and ask why his kid wasn't on the ice much in the third, and I simply told him 'we shorted the bench'. That seemed to satisfy him. It was just as important for the kids that had to sit at times to be part of the experience of winning a championship, they were just as happy as everyone else.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruschiki View Post
So my first foray into youth hockey coaching ended last weekend... As league champs. Incredible experience. My son is on cloud 9 and is so proud of the first trophy (in his own words) that he actually "earned".
Congrats to you both.

Mine told me yesterday he wants to play spring hockey. I have one day to register him when we get back from vacation.

04-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Congrats to you both.

Mine told me yesterday he wants to play spring hockey. I have one day to register him when we get back from vacation.
Nice - we don't push Spring hockey - just go to sticks and pucks once a week during the Summer, then maybe 1 camp (1 week). Plus our town doesn't have a team, so my son would have to try-out for select or elite and go to a town nearby (more travel).

Old
04-12-2012, 08:47 PM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Congrats to you both.

Heh. That didn't take long.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

More vodka, less whisky and a whole bunch of trance music. And then there's this:

Old
04-12-2012, 09:53 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Picking up my new Chevy Cruze later today
Not a bad pick up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
The Cruze looks like a nice car.

The 4 cyl. as the only option is highly disappointing. But my father is a GM retiree and he tells me they are considering throwing a 6 cyl. in future models.

That would be kewl.
Cruze is a pretty small car. A 4 seems adequate though a 6 would kick ass, I doubt they'll produce one. It's like putting a 6 in a Cobalt, Focus or Corolla.

I'm more bummed that the new Fusion may only have a turbo 4 and not a 6. That is a slightly bigger car, no?

Old
04-12-2012, 10:26 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruschiki View Post
LOL. And they would be correct. We made a decision after we won the first playoff game that we rolled the lines and gave everyone equal playing time all season and that if it came to shortening the bench to get the win we would do so.

The championship game we were down 2-0 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd. We went from 14 skater to 7 skaters; left the same two D and center on the ice , and rotated wingers. We scored 1, the other coach called a timeout, we scored another 30 seconds later to tie it up. Then we scored the 3rd with 12.5 seconds left.

We also had to shorten the bench the previous game. After that game, I had a dad come up and ask why his kid wasn't on the ice much in the third, and I simply told him 'we shorted the bench'. That seemed to satisfy him. It was just as important for the kids that had to sit at times to be part of the experience of winning a championship, they were just as happy as everyone else.
Out of curiosity, the discussion to short the bench was with your coaching staff? And holy moly, two iron defenders and a center

Old
04-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedpony View Post
Not a bad pick up.

Cruze is a pretty small car. A 4 seems adequate though a 6 would kick ass, I doubt they'll produce one. It's like putting a 6 in a Cobalt, Focus or Corolla.

I'm more bummed that the new Fusion may only have a turbo 4 and not a 6. That is a slightly bigger car, no?
The Fusion's a mid-sized, so yes.

I actually love that my current car "only" has a four. It's a bigger four and for day-to-day driving, it's more than enough. Personally, I'm really liking the trend of manufacturers to put turbo fours in cars rather than dropping sixes in.

Ideally I'd love a mid-sized plugin AWD car with a turbo four. Love the plugin concept. If it only handles my commute one way, then that's STILL probably representative of at least a 30% reduction in gasoline requirements over a year. The numbers could really get interesting if they can make plugins cheap enough.

Old
04-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
Out of curiosity, the discussion to short the bench was with your coaching staff? And holy moly, two iron defenders and a center
2nd period:

me (assistant coach): time to shorten the bench!
coach: OK, OK
(ignores me)
Go down 2-0

2nd/3rd period break:
coach: OK kids, some of you are going to play, and some wont. We call this shortening the bench.
kids all think it's someone else who wont play (american kids are an over-confident bunch and tend to think they are more skilled than they are in sports).

We actually ended up playing a few minutes into the 3rd with 8 or 9 forwards and normal D, but one of our forwards got sick, so we pulled one of our 4 D up to offense and kept the other two out there the rest of the game (my son plays RD #proud - decision who to play was left up to the other assn coach).

Old
04-13-2012, 11:28 AM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

I actually love that my current car "only" has a four. It's a bigger four and for day-to-day driving, it's more than enough. Personally, I'm really liking the trend of manufacturers to put turbo fours in cars rather than dropping sixes in.

Ideally I'd love a mid-sized plugin AWD car with a turbo four. Love the plugin concept. If it only handles my commute one way, then that's STILL probably representative of at least a 30% reduction in gasoline requirements over a year. The numbers could really get interesting if they can make plugins cheap enough.
Turbo 4s are getting more and more talked about, and more popular. Plenty of HP available there.

There's a couple of guys on the Camaro forum I frequent that have dropped twin turbos in their 6 cylinder Camaros. I think they rate at right around 500 hp at the crank with that mod.

My plan is to still get an SS next spring. May be one of the last Camaros built with an 8 cylinder??
I've heard the 6th generation is on a smaller, lighter platform, and a 4 cylinder turbo being considered...

Old
04-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

offseason is a hard time to keep cool and not start every post with what the **** are you talking about you freaking dumbass?

but I love this place too much to risk getting banned.

Old
04-13-2012, 12:19 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
offseason is a hard time to keep cool and not start every post with what the **** are you talking about you freaking dumbass?

but I love this place too much to risk getting banned.
what the **** are you talking about you freaking dumbass?

Old
04-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
what the **** are you talking about you freaking dumbass?

shut the **** up you idiot

like you know anything

Old
04-13-2012, 12:47 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

Haven't had or driven many fours. My wife and I may be in the market for a 2013 Fusion when they arrive so we'll have to test out the different powertrains they end up offering.

Quote:
Turbo 4s are getting more and more talked about, and more popular. Plenty of HP available there.

There's a couple of guys on the Camaro forum I frequent that have dropped twin turbos in their 6 cylinder Camaros. I think they rate at right around 500 hp at the crank with that mod.

My plan is to still get an SS next spring. May be one of the last Camaros built with an 8 cylinder??
I've heard the 6th generation is on a smaller, lighter platform, and a 4 cylinder turbo being considered...
Turbo's are good for both efficiency and power but the sound of an eight

Old
04-13-2012, 12:47 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
... you both have 20 minutes to explain wtf is going on.

Old
04-13-2012, 12:54 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
... you both have 20 minutes to explain wtf is going on.
To whom are you speaking?

(if it's me and duddy, we're cool. He's my brother from another mother)

Old
04-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
To whom are you speaking?

(if it's me and duddy, we're cool. He's my brother from another mother)
yup basically, just roleplaying on how the board would be if we wouldn't have that awesome mod squad.

Old
04-13-2012, 01:33 PM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedpony View Post
Haven't had or driven many fours. My wife and I may be in the market for a 2013 Fusion when they arrive so we'll have to test out the different powertrains they end up offering.

Turbo's are good for both efficiency and power but the sound of an eight
oh yeah... even if it is a Mustang....

just kidding. I like the new Mustangs too.

Old
04-13-2012, 01:49 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:

Very kewl!

Someday I'd like to get a 69' camaro, SS with the RS package hardtop. 327 or 350 engine. That car makes me...

Old
04-13-2012, 02:08 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
yup basically, just roleplaying on how the board would be if we wouldn't have that awesome mod squad.
I WILL CUT YOU!

and like it.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:13 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
I WILL CUT YOU!

and like it.
We really having a circumcision discussion?

Old
04-13-2012, 02:17 PM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Very kewl!

Someday I'd like to get a 69' camaro, SS with the RS package hardtop. 327 or 350 engine. That car makes me...

Had one, sold it in 2000 or 2001. 69 SS/RS Pace Car hardtop, 350/300HP, automatic. Only 250 made, and I had the only one left with the original block. 97,000 original miles. Numbers matching.

Should have kept it. Yes, I am a real dumbass.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:27 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:
oh yeah... even if it is a Mustang....

just kidding. I like the new Mustangs too.
Hey no politics in the OT thread

jk

Old
04-13-2012, 02:39 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Had one, sold it in 2000 or 2001. 69 SS/RS Pace Car hardtop, 350/300HP, automatic. Only 250 made, and I had the only one left with the original block. 97,000 original miles. Numbers matching.

Should have kept it. Yes, I am a real dumbass.

Closed Thread