Notices

Sutter and Flames Part Ways

Old
04-12-2012, 08:27 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
It's about time this organization was free from Sutter tyrrany. ****ing took long enough! There should be a rule in the NHL that doesn't allow nepotism in an NHL team. Hell, at one point there was the GM, the coach, the prospect, the scout, and the player developer. It was like we were owned by a Sutter mob! Well, it's now completely over and thank god too.

Based on Feaster's comments, it's pretty clear why Sutter felt like he had so much say in this organization. Only in a friendly atmosphere do you have enough balls to go up to your boss and demand all new players or else your walking. Coaches need to shut their damn mouth and do their job. I'm disappointed that Feaster let their relationship become any more than business.
When did this happen? (Honest question source?)

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:34 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
When did this happen? (Honest question source?)
The combination of Sutter wanting to go younger and be a part of a rebuild (press interview), and the Dreger reporting a difference in directions. All the signs were there from Sutter's pressers about a hard team to coach, not buying in, and needing youth, plus he said he would happily be a part of a full rebuild. But Dreger just said Sutter wouldn't have taken the job.

But maybe I'm just looking to deep into it. That's the message I'm getting from the signs.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Padlock

vCash: 500
@DarrenDreger: Based on internal discussions, Brent Sutter wouldn't have accepted a new contract. Hence, "mutual". Doesn't sound like big changes ahead.

Padlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Flames 1st pick

Great decision.

Now get rid of King and Feaster

Apparently they agreed to disagree. Both sides were wrong in the direction of the Flames

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:55 PM
CoRD
Rebizzle my Flizzle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
The combination of Sutter wanting to go younger and be a part of a rebuild (press interview), and the Dreger reporting a difference in directions. All the signs were there from Sutter's pressers about a hard team to coach, not buying in, and needing youth, plus he said he would happily be a part of a full rebuild. But Dreger just said Sutter wouldn't have taken the job.

But maybe I'm just looking to deep into it. That's the message I'm getting from the signs.
Woah woah woah!!! None of this has been stated as fact. Don't go flacking off at the mouth about something nobody knows to be true yet. Wow.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:57 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
Great decision.

Now get rid of King and Feaster

Apparently they agreed to disagree. Both sides were wrong in the direction of the Flames
WHY? What has he done that has been so bad?

Old
04-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
not done enough...trying to win with this sad group of players is a problem

Old
04-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
It's amazing how people continuously fail to understand that it really doesn't matter who the GM of the Flames is - Murray Edwards and King are running the show. Feaster can be fired and somebody else could be brought in and it wouldn't change the fact that the Flames won't rebuild or trade Iginla/Kipper.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:02 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
not done enough...trying to win with this sad group of players is a problem
Owners mandate is to win he has no choice but to try and win. He has made the team 2 years younger while staying competitive and had a great draft last year. He literally couldn't do much more.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:50 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Ryan Pike slightly ahead of his time post some candidates last week on THW:

http://thehockeywriters.com/five-can...es-in-2012-13/

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:53 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

The way the team was responding, no big loss. Unfortunately I don't see a coach on the face of the planet that could get much out of this group. It will be a similar lineup in 2012/13 to what we saw this year and with likely results a little worse. The key players are another year older and will be emboldened that much more knowing they were kept regardless of how poorly they produced.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:47 PM
mjw22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
The way the team was responding, no big loss. Unfortunately I don't see a coach on the face of the planet that could get much out of this group. It will be a similar lineup in 2012/13 to what we saw this year and with likely results a little worse. The key players are another year older and will be emboldened that much more knowing they were kept regardless of how poorly they produced.
Exactly same OLD same OLD next year . Life as a Flame fan is going to suck going forward or in our case backwards. Sven I hope you are as good as we think you will be all that will be worth watching next year.

mjw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Hal 9000*

I'm not a flames fan or a Sutter fan, but the failures of the flames are all on Feaster.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:54 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
I'm not a flames fan or a Sutter fan, but the failures of the flames are all on Feaster.
Wow so very very wrong.

Old
04-12-2012, 10:56 PM
DouglasQuaid
Blabbed about Mars

Quote:
Clearly, the reason this team has not made the playoffs in 3 years is the GM who has been in charge for a year and a half.

DouglasQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 11:00 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Okay so where is the basis of your argument coming from? Feaster should shoulder the blame from the time he inherited the GM title; not what the Flames did before him. That's horrible grounds for an argument.

Should Burke be credited with the all of the current success in the Canucks?

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
Feaster is one of the positives in the Flames organization. What the hell are you talking about.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 11:06 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
Woah woah woah!!! None of this has been stated as fact. Don't go flacking off at the mouth about something nobody knows to be true yet. Wow.
Listen to Sutter's press conference about missing the playoffs. He said we needed to get younger, he said he would coach a rebuild, and he said the team was hard to coach. Years of post game interviews saying the team won't buy in. All that is from his mouth as FACT.

Why he was not given an extension was not answered by Feaster, but TSN reports it was because of differences in the direction the team should take. Seeing as how TSN is in a better position of making those reports with a certain degree of validity than most other sources, then we can assume the only respectably credible reasons as to why Feaster let Sutter walk is the reason TSN gave us. Now read between the lines of the information provided, and draw a conclusion.

Unless you got a better explanation ....

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Zacivich

What this says to me is that Feaster/King approached Sutter when his contract expired and said "We're going to rebuild, its going to be a losing team for a while, do you want to stay?" and Sutter said hell no and chose not to renew.

All this talk of Troy Ward and how good he is at developing young players is building him up for appointment to the Flames. They'll wait til the Heat is out of the running in the AHL playoffs then they'll announce it.

TBH, if the flames put Ward in place, i think he's exactly what we need. We're an old team with an old game plan, its time we got that sorted.

Zacivich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:19 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacivich View Post
What this says to me is that Feaster/King approached Sutter when his contract expired and said "We're going to rebuild, its going to be a losing team for a while, do you want to stay?" and Sutter said hell no and chose not to renew.

All this talk of Troy Ward and how good he is at developing young players is building him up for appointment to the Flames. They'll wait til the Heat is out of the running in the AHL playoffs then they'll announce it.

TBH, if the flames put Ward in place, i think he's exactly what we need. We're an old team with an old game plan, its time we got that sorted.
Sounds like exactly the opposite happened, and it was Sutter that wanted to rebuild.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:43 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Was Feaster responsible for hiring the worse retread in Melrose? Or was that someone else.
No, Torts was the Bolts only coach during Feaster's tenure. so this is actually the first time in his career as GM Feaster has not kept his coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapletoft View Post
Mutual agreement...fired...same thing...Feaster didn't want him back, sugar coated way of saying you are fired!
Actually it's not. Fired means you are fired, this means they are not extending his contract as it expires this summer. By your logic any player that doesn't re-sign was fired too

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
Ryan Pike slightly ahead of his time post some candidates last week on THW:

http://thehockeywriters.com/five-can...es-in-2012-13/
Brad Marsh and Clouston are interesting candidates, but didn't Clouston headbutt with star players in Ottawa?

Flames Fanatic you would know more about Clouston's time on Ottawa, what have you heard?

Quote:
It's Feaster's fault half the team was given no trade clauses by his predecessor? it's Feaster's fault ownership mandates the team try and compete for the playoffs every year?

yeah okay.....

my thoughts on Butter not returning are this:

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Owners mandate is to win he has no choice but to try and win. He has made the team 2 years younger while staying competitive and had a great draft last year. He literally couldn't do much more.
If you want to give Feaster credit for drafting Bartschi that is fine.

But it's easy to get younger when you give away veterans and draft picks to get unproven young players.

I am not impressed by any of his trades. He also did nothing at the deadline when there was already sign of trouble and the mandate was to make the playoff....look like a big failure to me.

This team needs a big change over not a little tweak and Feaster hasnt shown any ability or even courage to do it.

Good bye Jay.

Old
04-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
If you want to give Feaster credit for drafting Bartschi that is fine.

But it's easy to get younger when you give away veterans and draft picks to get unproven young players.

I am not impressed by any of his trades. He also did nothing at the deadline when there was already sign of trouble and the mandate was to make the playoff....look like a big failure to me.

This team needs a big change over not a little tweak and Feaster hasnt shown any ability or even courage to do it.

Good bye Jay.
What the hell could he do at the deadline? Trade injured players?The other players with no trade contracts. The players that would fetch you a 5th or 6th rounder? who's left? Im sure teams were knocking on Feasters door for our garbage.
This off season is where he will be judged.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:44 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasQuaid View Post
Honestly, I have a feeling this means just the opposite. I expect the entire core back now, outside of maybe Olli chasing a big contract elsewhere.
Good call. I'm thinking the same.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Spoken like someone with little knowledge, kudos.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote