HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF Game #1: Rangers vs. Ottawa

Old
04-13-2012, 02:59 AM
trilobyte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezequiel View Post
Man, this sucks. I had to get up after only 3 hours of sleep and I am already working. But it was all worth it!

Callahan was playing like a true hero and deserves the hat. Anisimov and Dubinsky were the other players getting a big thank you. Lundqvist with 30 saves was solid, but our D was not what it should be. They looked scared.
When they looked scared, what were the forwards doing? Not a lot, from what I saw. Hard to blame only the defensemen.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:02 AM
ColonialsHockey10

My thoughts:

-When the Rangers played a blue-collar, hard-hitting game, they dominated the Sens.

-When the Rangers played lazy and over-confident they played like utter ****.

PotGL: Anisimov was everywhere! Amazing game!

Good: Aside from a few mental lapses, nearly everyone held there own to some degree.

Bad: Stepan (partially joking....partia...llllyyyyy...) needs a benching. He looks so terrible out there.

Redden: Nobody was horrendous. However Kreider 100% deserves a shot.

Last edited by ColonialsHockey10: 04-13-2012 at 03:07 AM.
ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Just wondering is there a derogatory term for Sens like there is for Rangers? Because if there is we probably should include it next GDT's title. Stay classy Ottawa.
I have a friend in Ottawa who is a Bruins fan. He calls the Senators, the Janitors...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blueshirt Believer

I thought our D played solid, except some mistakes here and there.

They did great job in the corners and pretty much stomped on Ottawa's forecheck.

It was our forwards that were having a problem getting going in the beginning with so many crappy passes.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:04 AM
SwedeAmerican

What were the fans chanting right before Gaborik scored???

SwedeAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:06 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeAmerican View Post
What were the fans chanting right before Gaborik scored???
"These refs suck"

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:12 AM
ColonialsHockey10

And Staal made some great plays. He's not comfortable like last season, but when a Senator was rushing the puck on him he looked great.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:12 AM
trilobyte

The defensemen were really good tonight.
Seriously, nobody should be faulting them.

My only point was that when they were being tested so hard, it was often because there was zero offensive effort. That is what Torts was pissed off about and what he addressed at the timeout (or at least what I believe he addressed, judging by the outcome).

Old
04-13-2012, 03:32 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Man I really wish Mitchell would sit, it pains me to see him on the ice doing nothing. It sucks Zucc got hurt, he was such a boost for the PP. I'd love to see him and Kreider in the lineup it would really give the offense a nice boost of speed and playmaking. Might be a good way to jump start Stepan to put him in between Kreider and Zucc. Dubinsky has earned more ice team I would move him up and reunite the pack line. Although Boyle has been playing great, I ultimately think he's best served centering the 4th line and playing on the 2nd pp unit, which actually benefits the team by making the 4th line not be useless. Rupp/Feds switch between Stepan line and Boyle line until Zucc comes back when hopefully the Rangers are still in it at that point. Wow I'm done playing coach I should prob lay off the NHL 12.

Can't wait for game 2!

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:33 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
The defensemen were really good tonight.
Seriously, nobody should be faulting them.

My only point was that when they were being tested so hard, it was often because there was zero offensive effort. That is what Torts was pissed off about and what he addressed at the timeout (or at least what I believe he addressed, judging by the outcome).
He was getting annoyed at the fact that we were throwing pucks around. Nobody was possessing the puck or showing any poise.

They settled down after that.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:44 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Also, lost in the mix, Fedotenko quietly had a very good game. Strong, decisive plays with the puck in all three zones.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:44 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
He was getting annoyed at the fact that we were throwing pucks around. Nobody was possessing the puck or showing any poise.

They settled down after that.

They sure were throwing it around. Hot potato. At that stage, it looked like panic. I was getting kind of antsy, but they stopped the bleeding.

They really should set this Senators team down in 5.
Maybe it's Karlsson's time to 'go home'. And Lundqvist can tweet Karlsson and ask him what it is like to be out of the playoffs. Without being mean, I would love that.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:50 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
They sure were throwing it around. Hot potato. At that stage, it looked like panic. I was getting kind of antsy, but they stopped the bleeding.

They really should set this Senators team down in 5.
Maybe it's Karlsson's time to 'go home'. And Lundqvist can tweet Karlsson and ask him what it is like to be out of the playoffs. Without being mean, I would love that.
Its a major thing that concerns me(kinda the reason why I don't think we are just yet a Stanley cup team). We don't pass the puck that well as a team, and we struggle on our transition/breakouts.

Its going to be a significant problem against better defensive teams. The Rangers haven't really improved with it all season. Its a systemic problem. We play great away from the puck though.

Until we develop a real puck possession game to go along with our relentless forecheck, I don't think we will be quite ready.

You can't keep fumbling the puck and not have it burn you somewhere down the line.

Old
04-13-2012, 04:58 AM
Raymones

There really is nothing like playoff hockey!!

A few things:

Ryan Callahan is just an amazing leader. I've watched about 40 Rangers games this season and I can't remember a single one where I thought #24 was "meh". The effort and smartness he brings every night is what personifies (is that a word in English?) this team. For me, he's the clear cut number one star of this game, followed by Lundqvist.

Great overall team effort tonight, and as many has already stated, Staal played probably his best game of the season. Girardi and McD looked solid as usual, and the lack of playoff experience on Rangers D didn't show one bit, IMO. Bickel and Del Zotto did ok, Stralman did really well.

As a Swede I'm certainly happy about my fellow countrymen. Hagelin looked a bit nervous in the beginning but his usual self from the second period and on. Hank was Hank, and Stralman looked like he was comfortable playing playoff hockey. Optimal start for the Swedish Ranger rookies, each getting a point in their first PO appearance, and going +1 and +3 respectively (just checked, leads the league! ).

As for Karlsson, obviously I have no problem with him emerging as a star player, however I'm very pleased with him being held off the scoresheet tonight. The Rangers forwards did a great job shutting him down.

Great work by the forwards all game, with honourable mentions to Duby, Boyle and Anisimov. The only player I thought was a tad disappointing: Stepan.

The one thing that sucks about this game is the fact that I just finished watching it and there is about 40 hours to the next one. Bring it!

Raymones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Yeah the guy in the yellow shirt was standing up for a while so the chants finally started. He looked back and finally sat down. Then again in the 3rd period he was standing up so the chants started again and right after he sat down the Sens scored their 2nd goal and this led to the "stand up yellow" chants
Lmfao. That's hilarious. I wish I went to the game just for that alone.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:19 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Just my thoughts....Sergei Gonchar had one of the most miserable games by a defenseman I can remember in a good long while...holy crap was he awful.
When he mails it in, he really mails it in:

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
When he mails it in, he really mails it in:

Imagine what Torts would do to him

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Raymones

Forgot to mention that I love the fact that Gaborik, Callahan, Richards all scored in the first game. Getting your top players going from the start is always a good thing, they should lead the way.

Raymones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:16 AM
NikC

Aside from them sagging in the 2nd period and being too passive late in the third it was a strong first game. I'm glad we got the first game out of the way with a win. I think they will be more relaxed in game 2 and they'll have more poise in their game overall.

*I'm confident of the NYR coming out of this series with a win, but I can definetly see (God forbid) Neil taking out one of our guys. He's a real mean SOB. He skates fairly well and hits like a wrecking ball.
Rupp, Prust, or Bickell need to soften this guy up in a hurry.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
"These refs suck"
well they did. Terribly inconsistent, seemingly missing the calls for us, but we ended up on the PK a lot it seemed like

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:36 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
- Spezza/Michalek took off from the Anthems right as it was finishing and skated directly in front of the guys showing holding the flags. I thought it was disrespectful to do that. Both Spezza and Michalek were not as visible as you would think they would be.

- Karlsson was a non-factor tonight. He had a couple shots but they didn't allow him to be a playmaker.
Karlsson is known for disappearing for stretches, but I was surprised at how invisible Spezza was. There was only about one or two times the entire game he caught everyone's attention.

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:45 AM
bubba5

Refs were terible, that 2nd period they almost did whatever they could to get Ottawa back in the game! If we lost that game, that would have been my biggest complaint.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:49 AM
KenGuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
Man I really wish Mitchell would sit, it pains me to see him on the ice doing nothing. It sucks Zucc got hurt, he was such a boost for the PP. I'd love to see him and Kreider in the lineup it would really give the offense a nice boost of speed and playmaking. Might be a good way to jump start Stepan to put him in between Kreider and Zucc. Dubinsky has earned more ice team I would move him up and reunite the pack line. Although Boyle has been playing great, I ultimately think he's best served centering the 4th line and playing on the 2nd pp unit, which actually benefits the team by making the 4th line not be useless. Rupp/Feds switch between Stepan line and Boyle line until Zucc comes back when hopefully the Rangers are still in it at that point. Wow I'm done playing coach I should prob lay off the NHL 12.

Can't wait for game 2!

Zucc seems optimistic about coming back in the playoffs (twitter). He could be back in late round 2 (3 rd or 4 th game) I guess because then he has been out 7-8 weeks. I think the Rangers will look even stronger next year with these lines;

Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Stepan - Callahan
Dubinsky - AA - MZA
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

And maybe add Nash or Parise to all this it will be the best team in the NHL

KenGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:54 AM
McDunna with Fries

I was at the game, watched all the highlights/analysis when I got home, and then read the Sens board this morning. Thought everyone's different views on the game were interesting.

I thought the Rangers dominated most of the game except for that long stretch of Ottawa going ******* attacking before Torts called the timeout. Other than that, the Rangers executed better, played more physical, and played better hockey. It was obvious we were conserving energy once we got up 4-0.. the Sens 2 goals definitely weren't garbage time goals but they didn't exactly impact the game either.

A bunch of analysts thought the game wasn't close. I think Melrose was one of the people that said that. The NHL TV analysis after the sharks blues game seemed to feel this way too.

Sens board seems to think that the game was really close and that the Rangers weren't/aren't that good... I th ink we have every intangible in the book. All the right ingredients of a championship team. We don't have any flashy superstars that just WOW everyone but it seems like we know The Secret (Simmons reference).

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I'm late to the party...

But how the **** do you not love Brian Boyle?

Also Artie played great.
I wish Boyle would learn how to check someone the proper way. The man does not take the body well at all. He throews these soft arkward hits that do nothing.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote