HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Green Day to release 3 albums

Old
04-12-2012, 01:38 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
It'll be interesting to see what kind of theme they'll have with the three albums. Whether or not each album might be a standalone or if they'll try to tie it together.

I still find it funny that they essentially scrapped an entire album (Cigarettes and Valentines) in 2003 because they realized it wasn't good.
They'll try and tie them together somehow.

Cigarettes and Valentines wasn't good enough? The master recordings were stolen and instead of just redoing them all, they decided to start from scratch. Billie Joe has stated on more than one occasion that the album's material was "good stuff" so I don't know where you get this idea that they "realized it wasn't good."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Well their last two albums were pure garbage. They simply are not a 'grandiose' band. Linkin Park can pull it off, Green Day cannot.

I read somewhere that their new stuff would be like their old stuff.

Dookie and Nimrod were two of my favorite albums as a kid. Hard bass line, and hard to understand vocals
Linkin Park, after two excellent albums, has gone into the gutter. Minutes To Midnight was ok and their newest album is quite possible the worst album i've listened to in a very long time. Everything that was once Linkin Park went out the door. Comparing them to sure fire Rock and Roll hall of famers Green Day is an absolute joke. Green Day could take a dump on a cd and it would sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Wow. I'll buy em for sure. Can't remember the last time a band I liked did this.

Could be interesting to see how a tour would play out and how many tracks would be on each record. Blink 182 only had 9 on Neighborhoods...doubt Green Day would do that though. Either way we can expect like 27-38 new GD songs.
Neighborhoods actually had 10 songs on the standard edition. Sadly, 11 is becoming the norm for a full LP these days. I wish we could go back to the 90s where most albums had 13-15 songs.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:47 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

vCash: 500
If they're anything like Dookie I'll listen. Otherwise I got over the hardcore "I'm totally just like you guys even though I'm rich" political music.

It's what killed Bad Religion for me, really too. Not subtle thoughtful political lyrics to a good beat, but obnoxious mouthbreathing lyrics to power cords.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
Cigarettes and Valentines wasn't good enough? The master recordings were stolen and instead of just redoing them all, they decided to start from scratch. Billie Joe has stated on more than one occasion that the album's material was "good stuff" so I don't know where you get this idea that they "realized it wasn't good."
At the time, I vaguely recall reading a story about the producer more or less telling Green Day that he thought the songs were weak. After the master recordings were stolen, they opted to start over like you said. If the recordings were "good", one would think they would have re-recorded them. With their last tour, they did include a song off the record on the set list.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Oh god no.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:18 PM
josephwild123
Wild Idiot

vCash: 626
Quote:
At the time, I vaguely recall reading a story about the producer more or less telling Green Day that he thought the songs were weak. After the master recordings were stolen, they opted to start over like you said. If the recordings were "good", one would think they would have re-recorded them. With their last tour, they did include a song off the record on the set list.
Their producer never said that. No one really knows what happened to the master tapes. They didn't record it again because they said it wasn't their best stuff. So they decided to make American Idiot starting with Wake Me Up When September Ends.

josephwild123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:05 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I'm just picturing their concerts for this album... they'll play all three albums straight at one point, I am sure. For their sake, they better be good.

Green Day were the first band I ever got into and I still like them enough. I'm excited for this.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:40 AM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
I was big into Green Day in 5th grade, which waaaaaas I think 16 years ago. Sounds about right. I don't dislike them though.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:47 AM
goalie311

Looking forward to it, all of their stuff was great - didn't mind the grandoise theme/sound they'd been going with.
Bands are damned if they do, damned if they don't.
If Green Day kept their same sound, they'd be criticized for not evolving.
The evolved their sound, and get criticized for not soundling like they originally did.

goalie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:08 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
"Older" Green Day fan here. Their pre-Dookie songs remain amongst my favorites. Grew up listening to the songs driven by teen angst, but not a big fan of the quasi-political stuff of late. But they still put on a heck of a live show.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of theme they'll have with the three albums. Whether or not each album might be a standalone or if they'll try to tie it together.

I still find it funny that they essentially scrapped an entire album (Cigarettes and Valentines) in 2003 because they realized it wasn't good.
Pre-Dookie? Isn't that almost like being a pre-Ten Pearl Jam fan?

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:50 AM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:
The song is actually called "Cigarettes and Valentines" and was first played at their show with AFI in Denver. It was neat being there for the first ever time a song was played. They ended up playing it twice(it's a short song as is)since they were recording for a live DVD or something as well.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
It wouldnt be the first time someone does something like this. Tobias Sammet realesed 2 albums the same day 2 years ago. Not a single fillers.. all songs kicked ass!
(The wicked trilogy & Angel of babylon) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quH_vUCdy2o Didnt guns n roses do the same thing with UYI?

Didnt like the latest GD album so much but it was okay, sounds a little too popish but there were some good songs. Want something more AI or before that. But this sounds really intressting, not a huge green day fan but they have many good songs. Hoping for the best. No artist wants to realese an album with bad songs, im sure all 3 will be good.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:57 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Jr Shabadoo View Post
Looking forward to it, all of their stuff was great - didn't mind the grandoise theme/sound they'd been going with.
Bands are damned if they do, damned if they don't.
If Green Day kept their same sound, they'd be criticized for not evolving.
The evolved their sound, and get criticized for not soundling like they originally did.
True of pretty much every band.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephwild123 View Post
I hate when people compare Green Day and Linkin Park. They aren't alike.
Their sound? No. Their progression as musicians? yes.

Linkin Park has been, like it or not an extremely popular band from day 1. Their sound was their own and after Meteora, they changed. Some fans hated it, others loved it. Personally, I love everything they've done but am also excited for them to go back to a more standard rock sound with their upcoming album.

Green Day also had a very defined sound and image, and shattered that with American Idiot. They tried to be a large scale band with a wall of sound. While popular with the younger generation, most Green Day fans hated it.

They are comparable in that they were 'simple' bands early. Then morphed into larger scale bands. Linkin Park I believe was able to do it, Green Day could not.
Quote:
Linkin Park, after two excellent albums, has gone into the gutter. Minutes To Midnight was ok and their newest album is quite possible the worst album i've listened to in a very long time. Everything that was once Linkin Park went out the door. Comparing them to sure fire Rock and Roll hall of famers Green Day is an absolute joke. Green Day could take a dump on a cd and it would sell.
Minutes To Midnight was their weakest Album in my opinion. I liked A Thousand Suns a lot. It was different, like... totally different. But I like to see a band challenge themselves from time to time. It was one album. Plus if you enjoyed it with a few of natures finer green shrubbery it was such a great experience. They went for Pink Floyd, Radiohead territory. If you were expecting a generic rock album, you were going to be disappointed.

I won't argue with you though, you either liked it or you didn't.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
T\\

And they have been. One could go out and call them the American Nickelback. Just a bunch of noise and .

These guys are in their 40's. They need to grow up.

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:28 PM
josephwild123
Wild Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_one98 View Post
These guys are in their 40's. They need to grow up.
Billie Joe Armstrong is the only one that's 40. Believe me when I say they have grown up from what they where 17 years ago.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Uh what? So stupid. All three albums will likely be terrible. 1-3 good songs on each if we are lucky. There is no way they are coming up with 36 decent songs in such a short time. Ill get the first and take it from there, but i have a feeling this will kill them

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:55 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

If I had to bet, I'd guess this is a way of satisfying their record deal so they can move on...

04-17-2012, 04:56 PM
josephwild123
Wild Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
Uh what? So stupid. All three albums will likely be terrible. 1-3 good songs on each if we are lucky. There is no way they are coming up with 36 decent songs in such a short time. Ill get the first and take it from there, but i have a feeling this will kill them
They already have all the songs written starting from 2009. They always are making new music.
How can you say it'll be terrible. It hasn't come out yet.
You're so stupid.
Nothing will stop Green Day from being a band except actually death. They've say it themselves.

Old
04-17-2012, 05:26 PM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Green Day planning for the end in 2012?

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
Pre-Dookie? Isn't that almost like being a pre-Ten Pearl Jam fan?
Green Day had a couple albums (mix of albums and EPs) prior to Dookie.

"Paper Lanterns" remains my favorite song to this day, probably most memorable for being their final song during the Woodstock '94 set/mudfight. With a lot of those songs, the live versions sound better than the studio recordings. At least according to setlist.fm, Green Day had "Paper Lanterns" on their 2010 setlist for the first time since the late 90s which was enough to sell me on tickets.

Certainly not for everybody, but those albums hold a special place in my adolescent years. If I were listening to them for the first time today, I would probably be dismissive.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:17 AM
DRWCountryClub

People take this band seriously?

Three albums? Money grab, or finishing a contract, possibly both.

The best bands out there in history could barely put together a double album, and Green Day is going to put together three albums in three months?

Maybe Bono is helping them out, the sell out he is.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:01 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post

The best bands out there in history could barely put together a double album, and Green Day is going to put together three albums in three months?

You sound bitter. This album has been in the works since 2009. 3 years. They're not going to do it in 3 months.

Didn't I read you talking about Katy Perry in some other thread? Yeah she's a serious artist. Green Day...not so much.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:23 PM
josephwild123
Wild Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post

Green Day hates getting money. They've given money back before they ever had much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElZKGzcoVlg
Green Day is the best band out there.

Old
04-18-2012, 02:16 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
If they're anything like Dookie I'll listen. Otherwise I got over the hardcore "I'm totally just like you guys even though I'm rich" political music.

It's what killed Bad Religion for me, really too. Not subtle thoughtful political lyrics to a good beat, but obnoxious mouthbreathing lyrics to power cords.
I didn't think Bad Religion has changed that much since Gray Race. Same chords, same Bad Religion sound (for those who listen to them, you know what I'm talking about), same songs with 5-6 syllable words randomly thrown in for good measure. I noticed Dissent Of Man had a few songs that sounded different, but I don't think I'd consider any of those songs reason to kill Bad Religion.

.....back on topic......

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephwild123
Billie Joe Armstrong is the only one that's 40. Believe me when I say they have grown up from what they where 17 years ago.
Splitting hairs a bit, aren't you? Dirnt will be 40 in a few weeks and Cool will be 40 at the end of the year. For the purpose of this thread and making nice round numbers for the masses, they are all 40. Yes, that makes me feel a little old.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:59 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

I'll never understand this "anything after dookie" line of thinking

I'd be interested to find out how many people listened to Sg. Pepper and said it sucked, and that everything being released after Help! was awful