HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

WCQF // Game 1 // Sharks @ Blues // 6:30 PM CT // CNBC, TSN, FSMW

Old
04-13-2012, 12:41 AM
stlblues9

vCash: 50
Seems to be a lot of negativity in this thread but I gotta be honest, Im more confident about the Blues after this game than before the game started. I thought they played really well and out worked San Jose. San Jose had a lot of confidence coming in after beating LA and Dallas in those 2 game series. I think the longer this series goes on, the more it will benefit St. Louis cause I think some of their players will start to tire out. I remember Murray at one point could barely stand up.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:57 AM
justinboo*

vCash: 500
murray just came back from an injury i think, rough first game

justinboo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:08 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
Seems to be a lot of negativity in this thread but I gotta be honest, Im more confident about the Blues after this game than before the game started. I thought they played really well and out worked San Jose. San Jose had a lot of confidence coming in after beating LA and Dallas in those 2 game series. I think the longer this series goes on, the more it will benefit St. Louis cause I think some of their players will start to tire out. I remember Murray at one point could barely stand up.
I agree. They lost game 1, but if they play like that every game, there's no way they lose the series. I really liked what I saw. They were the better team and as we already know, CAN beat this team.

I really love how Oshie initiates contact with Murray and goes after him physically (not many people can hit that guy). 74 is so damn strong on his skates.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:18 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinboo View Post
murray just came back from an injury i think, rough first game
I wouldn't be surprised if Murray is scratched for Colin White. Murray threw of a couple of hits, but otherwise he looked insanely slow and useless. Poor Burns has to deal with him.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:32 AM
BlueDream

I like Burns a lot.

I love Murray's physicality (him and Oshie had a good battle all night) but he is indeed a slow skater.

However, I think I would still rather have him in the lineup than Colin White if I was the Sharks. Should be interesting to see what lineup changes the two teams make along the way. Wouldn't be surprised if D'Agostini and/or Porter were in on Saturday for us (depending on what Reaves' situation is - I haven't heard anything). But they played well so I'd still keep the same lineup for now.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:29 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

For you worry warts, there is no way the Blues lose this series playing like they did tonight. I'm a Preds fan so I'm obviously not pulling for you but you all WILL win this series. I wouldn't be too worried yet. It's just 1 game.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:05 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
For you worry warts, there is no way the Blues lose this series playing like they did tonight. I'm a Preds fan so I'm obviously not pulling for you but you all WILL win this series. I wouldn't be too worried yet. It's just 1 game.
Hey come on man we are pulling hard for you. Return the favor.

Old
04-13-2012, 05:18 AM
TerminatorBlue

Chicago lost tonight too. Actually Detroit and Vancouver are both down a game as well...for what ever reason that makes me feel better.

Like kypredsfan said though if we play like that every game we "should" come out on top. One thing that worries me is containing Havlat, I have a nervous feeling of him catching on fire and stealing the series.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:34 AM
Jeffro

I just can't abide watching Stewart float around any more. His lazy **** led directly to that GWG, and he's been super duper especially useless for a month now. I'd rather sink or swim with Schwartz than watch Stewart.

Jeffro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Spektre

The game should never have been in OT. The Blues once again let down in 3rd. You could see SJ's 2nd goal coming.

That is the biggest concern I see with the Blues. They've managed to lose 4 in a row at home. They keep giving up these late leads because of lack of effort. Hitch better stop the boys from that or we're looking at a 1st round exit.

I didn't think it was possible for Stewart to be worse in person than on tv but he proved me wrong. You've gotta sit him out. I don't care if he's making over 3 million.

Who was the Blue that did the lackluster flip the puck up the boards into another Blue and a SJ player right at the end of the game? I couldn't see who it was but we were all yelling get the puck out. Then tic tac shoot and game was over. That puck has to get out of the zone end of story.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:09 AM
GutsDanson
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
The game should never have been in OT. The Blues once again let down in 3rd. You could see SJ's 2nd goal coming.

That is the biggest concern I see with the Blues. They've managed to lose 4 in a row at home. They keep giving up these late leads because of lack of effort. Hitch better stop the boys from that or we're looking at a 1st round exit.

I didn't think it was possible for Stewart to be worse in person than on tv but he proved me wrong. You've gotta sit him out. I don't care if he's making over 3 million.

Who was the Blue that did the lackluster flip the puck up the boards into another Blue and a SJ player right at the end of the game? I couldn't see who it was but we were all yelling get the puck out. Then tic tac shoot and game was over. That puck has to get out of the zone end of story.

That was Berglund......

GutsDanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:17 AM
GutsDanson
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I agree. They lost game 1, but if they play like that every game, there's no way they lose the series. I really liked what I saw. They were the better team and as we already know, CAN beat this team.

I really love how Oshie initiates contact with Murray and goes after him physically (not many people can hit that guy). 74 is so damn strong on his skates.
The Blues dominated play through many parts of their regular season series with Detoilet......and ended up with a 2-4 record.

Old
04-13-2012, 07:29 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

How did Steen play?

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Spektre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsDanson View Post
That was Berglund......
I just watched the replay of the goal, Bergy isn't on the ice. I think it was Shatty that didn't clear the puck but the replay doesn't go back that far to that play.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Blues88

I know it's upsetting to lose in this fashion but the tying and OT goals against were inexperience and fatigue rearing its ugly head.

The Blues dictated play nearly the entire game and completely dominated the first OT. I wish I was exaggerating, but its the truth. Microscopic mistakes can end up in the back of your net. The trends to be happy about are that the we created quite a few chances and played a pretty stifling defensive game.

Still, we could play better (and so could they).

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
How did Steen play?
Pretty well. Really most of the Blues played a strong game tonight. If they play the same way tomorrow then we will win.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:51 AM
GutsDanson
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post
I know it's upsetting to lose in this fashion but the tying and OT goals against were inexperience and fatigue rearing its ugly head.

The Blues dictated play nearly the entire game and completely dominated the first OT. I wish I was exaggerating, but its the truth. Microscopic mistakes can end up in the back of your net. The trends to be happy about are that the we created quite a few chances and played a pretty stifling defensive game.

Still, we could play better (and so could they).
It just doesn't matter why they lost.......they had the game won.......the Blew it.

They should all feel shame.

Old
04-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Novacain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
I just watched the replay of the goal, Bergy isn't on the ice. I think it was Shatty that didn't clear the puck but the replay doesn't go back that far to that play.
Was at the game, behind the goal, and yeah, it was Kirk. It had been a long shift and he had played 30 minutes. It was a mis-read I'd attribute to exhaustion. Just watching the Blues come out of the tunnels you could tell everyone was dead tired.

Some other thoughts from the game.

Kris Russel and Ryan Reaves both had fantastic showings. Seemed like everytime Reaver was on the ice he did something positive, and Russel looked great and his poke-pass set up the odd man that led to Bergies 2nd.

That second Sharks goal is on Roman who made a key misread. Should have kept his position, but instead he tried to cut the Sharks player of at the boards, got beat, and led to a tough situation and a goal. Good game out of Roman otherwise

AP and Kirk are really really good.

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:40 AM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Russell's game last night was phenominal.

I'm honestly wondering if separating Oshie and Backes would provide good results. Both have been fairly quiet recently. The problem with that though, is the second line shouldn't be changed at all after last night.

ManyIdeas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:17 PM
GutsDanson
Rookie User

Quote:
Pretty well. Really most of the Blues played a strong game tonight. If they play the same way tomorrow then we will win.
If they play the same way tomorrow, then they will lose 3-2 in double overtime.....again.

Quote:
giving up these late leads because of lack of effort.

Lack of effort is the key to losing in the playoffs.....so....how in the ****ing Hell does this happen in the playoffs? Its the playoffs....effort is the baseline of tournament play.....you don't save anything you spend it all every shift trying to pound one down their throats. Lack of effort.....what an insult.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 04-13-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old
04-13-2012, 12:27 PM
PavelDatsyuk

vCash: 790
Some things I noticed this game

Shattenkirk played Couture (and only him) soft the whole game, from the first shift of the game til the last; they are good friends but no friendships in the playoffs. Never engaged with him, just stuck his stick in to try to fish the puck out and lost at least 5 easily winnable (or at least scramble) the possession. He definitely had his legs offensively though.

Perron was getting manhandled the whole night by Burns. During the season he had a lot of success (despite being pretty small) with that one hand on the stick, shield the puck with his body move out of the corner but Burns just sat him down all night long. I would go with Steen-Backes-Oshie and Mac-Berglund-Perron to get Perron away from Burns and match him against 2 smaller, physically weaker defenders in Boyle-Vlasic. Either that or move Steen to the third line because he can get any line going and move up maybe Sobotka to line 1. Definitely like SOB and Mac-Berg-Perron better though.

Polak got beat bad on the 2nd goal but was very good the rest of the game. Jackman saved 2 goals but had some bad passes off easy plays. Pietrangelo needs to be better in all aspects; he didn't have many what I call explosive plays, defensively and offensively. A play where he just simply steps in and breaks up a play instantly and transitions it out for example. Russell was as good as I've ever seen him, can't ask for anything more.

Halak was quite poor and looked shaky all night.

PavelDatsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsDanson View Post
If they play the same way tomorrow, then they will lose 3-2 in double overtime.....again.

That's what I thought, how is playing the same going to get us a win? Playing the same means blowing it in the 3rd, making mistakes and giving up a "should have" win....right?

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:48 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelDatsyuk View Post
Some things I noticed this game

Shattenkirk played Couture (and only him) soft the whole game, from the first shift of the game til the last; they are good friends but no friendships in the playoffs. Never engaged with him, just stuck his stick in to try to fish the puck out and lost at least 5 easily winnable (or at least scramble) the possession. He definitely had his legs offensively though.

Perron was getting manhandled the whole night by Burns. During the season he had a lot of success (despite being pretty small) with that one hand on the stick, shield the puck with his body move out of the corner but Burns just sat him down all night long. I would go with Steen-Backes-Oshie and Mac-Berglund-Perron to get Perron away from Burns and match him against 2 smaller, physically weaker defenders in Boyle-Vlasic. Either that or move Steen to the third line because he can get any line going and move up maybe Sobotka to line 1. Definitely like SOB and Mac-Berg-Perron better though.

Polak got beat bad on the 2nd goal but was very good the rest of the game. Jackman saved 2 goals but had some bad passes off easy plays. Pietrangelo needs to be better in all aspects; he didn't have many what I call explosive plays, defensively and offensively. A play where he just simply steps in and breaks up a play instantly and transitions it out for example. Russell was as good as I've ever seen him, can't ask for anything more.

Halak was quite poor and looked shaky all night.
Good observations.

I was very impressed with Burns last night who had a real edge to his game defensively and also was smart about when to jump in the play...his hockey sense gets knocked at times and he tries to do much but last night he was aggressive but controlled and really made some nice defensive plays.

I can think of one play in particular where he saved a weak side tap by having a good stick from his stomach when McDonald tried to center to Berglund.

What does the Shattenkirk/Couture friendship stem from out of curiousity?

There's nothing in their hockey play background that says they would cross paths. Only connection I can think of is they were both drafted in the 1st round in 2007.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Leidi J

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Good observations.

I was very impressed with Burns last night who had a real edge to his game defensively and also was smart about when to jump in the play...his hockey sense gets knocked at times and he tries to do much but last night he was aggressive but controlled and really made some nice defensive plays.

I can think of one play in particular where he saved a weak side tap by having a good stick from his stomach when McDonald tried to center to Berglund.

What does the Shattenkirk/Couture friendship stem from out of curiousity?

There's nothing in their hockey play background that says they would cross paths. Only connection I can think of is they were both drafted in the 1st round in 2007.
seems to go back well before the draft

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:29 PM
BlueDream

Sorry but if you think Shattenkirk played Couture soft because they are friends that is absolutely ridiculous. No chance of that happening. He's also friends with Galiardi and they went at it all night. I feel like that's an insult on Shatty's intelligence, as if he's really going to go easy on a guy in a playoff series. Just no. Not sure what you expected, Shattenkirk to absolutely maul him or something? Newsflash: Shattenkirk is not overly physical, although he will play that at times.

I saw Shattenkirk give Couture a few shots with his stick along the boards but that's it really.

But I honestly don't understand your logic here at all. You act as if Shattenkirk was laying out every other Sharks player besides Couture. He wasn't.