HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 9.0

View Poll Results: Which of these three forwards do you want the Habs to select if available??
Filip Forsberg 54 17.70%
Alex Galchenyuk 138 45.25%
Mikhail Grigorenko 113 37.05%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2012, 01:02 AM
windycity

vCash: 500
I have alot of confidence in Timmins so I'm good with pretty much whomever he picks but I do hope it's a foward. Ideally Galenchyuk (sp)

Old
04-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Bacchus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
everwhatever...

i just find it fascinating that everybody only agrees on one thing: we trust timmins
This!

It is all we can do, because we know nothing, by in large. Going through these reams of posts looking for actual valuable information and perspective is silly! I wish I could tear myself away from it, because at the end of the day, I trust Timmins will make the best decision with what is probably a lot of knowledge. I will also have at the back of my mind that this player is young, and that he may not bear the fruits we expect, and others may develop ahead of the curve and out class them. But I am happy that Timmins is at the helm!

Old
04-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
This!

It is all we can do, because we know nothing, by in large. Going through these reams of posts looking for actual valuable information and perspective is silly! I wish I could tear myself away from it, because at the end of the day, I trust Timmins will make the best decision with what is probably a lot of knowledge. I will also have at the back of my mind that this player is young, and that he may not bear the fruits we expect, and others may develop ahead of the curve and out class them. But I am happy that Timmins is at the helm!
Great, great post.

Old
04-13-2012, 01:43 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Our 2012 pick won't be on the Bulldogs next year though no matter who it is. But that won't stop the 'Dogs for being a great team next year.
So Galchenyuk wouldn't make the AHL next year but Yakupov is ready for the NHL? Hasn't he done enough in the OHL?

Old
04-13-2012, 01:57 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
So Galchenyuk wouldn't make the AHL next year but Yakupov is ready for the NHL? Hasn't he done enough in the OHL?
Galch is playing in the CHL, thus he'll be too young to play in the AHL next year.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
04-13-2012, 02:23 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunosevigny View Post
I won't ever bash on Galchenyuk unlike many of the posters here that are bashing Grigorenko. Gally's sure as a lot of skills and determination, ans he will probably become a great player. But Grigo has a think I barely never seen for a kid at this age...... a thing called adaptation or evolution. The way he progressed and adapt to the NA life and hockey style is something special. The learning of a language in such a short period of time in a city where English isn't the first language is just a prodigy to be honnest. The kid is already an extremely good player who improved a lot of his weaknesses this year. With his ceiling and the way he is progressing I wouldn't pass on him. I will not cry if we draft Gally but in the end, I believe Grigo will end up the best player of the 2.
Damn it! You might as well be Grigo's agent .

This will be a post I will look at if we draft Grigo in June!
(still want to see Dumba in a Hab jersey, but probably unlikely).

This is what may happen in June, imo:
1.Yakupov
2. Galchenyuk or Grigorenko
3. Grigorenko or Gachenyuk
4. Forsberg or Murray or Dumba
5. Forsberg or Murray or Dumba

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 04-13-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old
04-13-2012, 02:44 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Galch is playing in the CHL, thus he'll be too young to play in the AHL next year.
Hmm didn't realize how young he was and the age limit on CHL players.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:15 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post
It's also important to say that Forsberg is only a few days away from being a 2013 draft pick. He'll probably end up at 6'3.

Would be really excited to draft him third overall.
The only problem is I have a feeling Columbus takes Forsberg at #2. If it was Edmonton picking at #2 I would have expecten them to take a defenseman.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:55 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I mean, again, we never know as far as d-men are concerned. Habs need to think the after-Markov era that might come sooner than expected. Are we absolutely sure that Subban will be the maker of a great powerplay? Or will he be the great complement to a great passer? Do we think Beaulieu will fit this space? I mean, Rielly could also very well be the guy we have in mind to fill that space. Or Dumba. Can the Habs go as far and do a Los Angeles Kings Hickey out of themselves? With a much better result should I add?

Unless you bet on your 2nd rounders to do it. By going after Dalton Thrower. Somehow, I just feel this guy will be a Habs.
Timmins may know so much to be confident enough to get some good dmen in the later rounds (2nd, 3rd ,4th...).

But, I'm with you when it comes to Dumba...
I really think our D-Corps would be the best in the NHL with Dumba.
And this is why Dumba has been my guy since day 1.
But...it still may be wise for our Habs for Timmins to pick either Galchenyuk or Grigorenko. But, still...Dumba in a Hab jersey would make me so happy!!

Approx. 2 yrs from now:
Tinordi - Subban
Beaulieu - Gorges
Emelin - Dumba
Ellis

Still...my prediction for our Habs:
1. Galchenyuk
2. Grigorenko or Dumba
3. Dumba

Old
04-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Mr. Hab

fun mock draft:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Old
04-13-2012, 04:19 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
Would it make any sense for us to try to use one of our D prospect to trade up for 1st pick?

What if we did something like Beaulieu/Tinordi + 3rd pick for 1st pick (could always add Weber! Haha j/k cause he's always added to every freaking trade since 2 years, although if they want him just go for it...)?
You're not the first one to propose that kind of trade, and I really think that's a significant overpayment for the privilege of climbing two mere spots in the draft. In 2002, Florida traded its first overall pick to Columbus, allowing the jackets to select Nash, when the Panthers picked Bouwmeester at number 3. The deal was FLA's first (1st overall) to CLB for their first (3rd overall) and the option to switch first rounders in the following draft. It's a lot cheaper than what you're offering, eventhough 2003 was a hell of a draft and there's a supposed gap between Yakupov and the other players in this year's draft.

Old
04-13-2012, 06:14 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Vancouver doesn't look like the team who's going to walk away with the cup atm.

I really doubt the top 2 teams pass on Murray, they both have a need for him AND he would arguably be BPA at their respective draft position. I bet Edmonton could make a speech about it after selecting him easily. Same with Columbus, there isn't going to be any shame.

Old
04-13-2012, 06:17 AM
BigHab*

The more I read about Galchenyuk the more I am hoping that Timmins will select him. He seems to be the type of player that the Habs need and Timmins reaches for, a combination of character, hard work and skill. My wish would include the following -
Galchenyuk
Nieve
Fournier
Hudon
It would be great if the Habs could muster a trade for another 1st round selection. Not certain as to what an offer might look like to make that happen. Maybe our new GM will be creative enough to pull it off without upsetting our core. Perhaps in a later round, Timmins might be able to pick up a tougher, stay-at-home defenseman as well.

Old
04-13-2012, 06:28 AM
BigHabs

To the posters who brought up Thrower in the 2nd round.

I would love this pick.

The guy is a dman we need on this team. Along with that we have his partner Dietz drafted. Could go along way having these 2 together for years to come. The chemistry is there but imagine keeping the 2 together. They could possibly work together make it all the way to the NHL as D partners.

Would be something nice to see and watch where it could take them.

Old
04-13-2012, 06:40 AM
BobbyFischer*

If Galchenyuk were Canadian we would draft him for sure.

Or, if he was an American D-man prospect in the highschool system..

Old
04-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Can anyone tell me if there's a big tough guy thats a decent hockey player like Lucic or Chris Neil that we could draft this year?

Last edited by Ice Poutine: 04-13-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old
04-13-2012, 07:31 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
The guy I was most impressed by was Alex Wennberg. Anyone know where he's slated to go next year?
Many have him somewhere in mid 2nd round, things are still shifting rapidly for next year and there is a lot of depth.

Old
04-13-2012, 07:40 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Can anyone tell me if there's a big tough guy thats a decent hockey player like Lucic or Chris Neil that we could draft this year?

People on are on the fence about Tom Wilson with this.

Old
04-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:

Frk. He plays physical and has higher offensive upside and skating, but he doesn't like to fight unless he has to. And he looks like he'll be available in the early 2nd round

Old
04-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

Tom Wilson.

Old
04-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Bon Esprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Since when is 70 points not a "real #1 center"?

This isn't the 80's where every team has at least 3-4 guys over 80 points.
Plekanec has 52 points, Desharnais has 60. I wouldn't call this impressive.

If Montreal has the chance to draft a good centre with their number 3 pick they should do it.

Old
04-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
People on are on the fence about Tom Wilson with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Frk. He plays physical and has higher offensive upside and skating, but he doesn't like to fight unless he has to. And he looks like he'll be available in the early 2nd round
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Tom Wilson.

I' ll look em both up. Thanks!

Old
04-13-2012, 08:46 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHab View Post
The more I read about Galchenyuk the more I am hoping that Timmins will select him. He seems to be the type of player that the Habs need and Timmins reaches for, a combination of character, hard work and skill. My wish would include the following -
Galchenyuk
Nieve
Fournier
Hudon
It would be great if the Habs could muster a trade for another 1st round selection. Not certain as to what an offer might look like to make that happen. Maybe our new GM will be creative enough to pull it off without upsetting our core. Perhaps in a later round, Timmins might be able to pick up a tougher, stay-at-home defenseman as well.
Agreed 100%...although being 18 and coming off major injury not expecting him to be in Montreal next year.

Old
04-13-2012, 08:55 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Agreed 100%...although being 18 and coming off major injury not expecting him to be in Montreal next year.
If the CBA stays the same, he couldn't play in the AHL. So yes, I'm pretty sure that both Grigs & Galch wouldn't start in Montreal if we drafted them and that is regardless of any injuries. Maybe they'd play them for 10 games then return to junior.

Old
04-13-2012, 09:16 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Is it true that is Forsberg was born a week or two later he would of have been in next years draft? If so.. Thats pretty crazy, having a young player like this in TOP5 Concensus..
If he was born 34 days later he would be a '13 draftee.

Closed Thread