Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Filppula
Jurks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Bad news for Raonic. The Memphis tournament is moving to Rio and, likely, red clay pending ATP approval. On the other hand, this is good news for tennis. There aren't enough events in South America (there should be a Masters event really) as it is and Memphis has consistently had probably the weakest field of any 500 event. The Memphis event was owned by the Sharks ownership group, for what that's worth.
But I liked that tournament.

Australian TD who did a good job and was passionate about the job.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
DC World Group playoff draw was today. Canada drew South Africa and will travel there in September.

Quote:
World Group play-offs

Kazakhstan (s)(c)(*) v Uzbekistan

Germany (s)(c) v Australia

Israel (s) v Japan (c)(*)

Sweden (s) v Belgium (c)

Canada (s) v South Africa (c)(*)

Russia (s) v Brazil (c)

Italy (s)(c) v Chile

Switzerland (s) v Netherlands (c)

Key
[s] Seed
[c] Choice of ground[*] Decided by lot

Old
04-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
But I liked that tournament.

Australian TD who did a good job and was passionate about the job.
May be so, but even a good tournament director can't manage if everything else is against him. Memphis is a relatively poor and small city that doesn't have much historical connection to tennis at all. The field at the Marseille 250 event that same week was stronger, and it wasn't just because Rotterdam was the week before - they had more money to spend on appearance fees and what not. I think it's sort of awkward how the tour wanders aimlessly across three continents after the AO and before the clay season. I wouldn't mind seeing Delray Beach go, too.

Old
04-12-2012, 05:57 PM
kihei

fish tanks in houston

I thought Fish might just be a slow tartar, but he never did get his game going. I would go so far to say that his game lacked all porpoise. Once he got behind in the match, he couldn't orca-strate a comeback to save his sole. He seemed to be always roe-ing upstream. He completely lacked krill-er instinct. When he most sturgeontly needed a break in the second set, he couldn't come up with one. On a scale of one to ten, I'd give him a one today. As the second set progressed, he was de-fin-itely gill-ty of not trying. I'm glad I didn't pay money to see him play today, and I'm sorry for those who did--it was a clear case of caviar emptor. I don't mean to carp, but Russell spawned him today. I don't like Fish at the best of times, so for me today was a bream come true. I just hope the fans get a re-bait.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:45 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
fish tanks in houston

I thought Fish might just be a slow tartar, but he never did get his game going. I would go so far to say that his game lacked all porpoise. Once he got behind in the match, he couldn't orca-strate a comeback to save his sole. He seemed to be always roe-ing upstream. He completely lacked krill-er instinct. When he most sturgeontly needed a break in the second set, he couldn't come up with one. On a scale of one to ten, I'd give him a one today. As the second set progressed, he was de-fin-itely gill-ty of not trying. I'm glad I didn't pay money to see him play today, and I'm sorry for those who did--it was a clear case of caviar emptor. I don't mean to carp, but Russell spawned him today. I don't like Fish at the best of times, so for me today was a bream come true. I just hope the fans get a re-bait.
How long did it take you to put that together?

Old
04-12-2012, 09:19 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
How long did it take you to put that together?
Maybe 10 to 15 minutes. I was watching the match and "Fish tanks" popped into my head and I vaguely sensed there was fun to be had with that, so then I just wrote the puns down as they quickly came to mind, finally putting them into a rough semblance of order. My mind works in strange ways.

Old
04-13-2012, 04:34 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Harrison vs. Russell should be a good match. Fish can't fall fast enough. He now has a 7-5 record this year, with most of his losses against low-ranked players, and after Tokyo he ended last year on a 1-6 run. At his age he's probably just collecting as many of the endorsements and appearance fees as possible that come with being a top ten player before retiring. Last year was a terrible fluke.

I can't believe Isner is playing in Houston. Maybe he has some sort of contract with all these dinky American events. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to play Davis Cup in Monte Carlo one week, then, instead of waiting a week to play a Masters event in the same venue, fly to ****ing Houston for a 250 event (and skip Monte Carlo) when he'll have to play in Europe the next three months anyway. You're a top ten player, John. Schedule like one.

Old
04-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Tuggy

Raonic back today in Monte-Carlo, up against Montanes. Hopefully he is in good form. I've got Raonic losing to Tipsarevic in the 2nd round in the pool. Also have Ferrer beating Djokovic eventually. We'll see how that works out.

Old
04-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Cruiser008

Quote:
fish tanks in houston

This was AWESOME!

Old
04-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Tuggy

Raonic out in 3 sets.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Tomic won a match on clay. Not that Istomin's a great clay courter himself, but it was a pretty easy win from the set or so I saw.

Dolgopolov didn't play like ****, but very well.

Tough draw for Raonic. Montanes has had a terrible year so far, but he's good on clay.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Raonic back today in Monte-Carlo, up against Montanes. Hopefully he is in good form. I've got Raonic losing to Tipsarevic in the 2nd round in the pool. Also have Ferrer beating Djokovic eventually. We'll see how that works out.
Didn't work out very good with Ferrer out in the second round

Old
04-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Filppula
Jurks

I love watching Djokovic on clay. He actually plays aggressive and goes for his shots, staggers me to think he hasn't yet reached a FO final.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:20 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Gross-looking injury to Julien Benneteau today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyNmyFhsl5o#t=3m30s

Apparently he sprained his ankle and fractured the elbow. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Old
04-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

And Monaco had a terrible fall yesterday too and had to retire when he was in control of the match. That was also unfortunate. He had a chance to make a push toward the top ten, but the word is he'll be out for a month.

Murray was complaining to the chair about the holds in the court during while Benneteau was being treated. Made it sound like it was dangerous to play on.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:32 AM
kihei

One might expect the seven time winner at Monte Carlo to look at home on this court, and Rafa certainly did, dispatching Wawrinka in straight sets, 7-5, 6-4. It seems with each passing year Nadal, even when he is not on the defensive, throws more loopy topspin groundstrokes into his backcourt game , but other than that he looked very impressive against an opponent whose illusions faded just a little as the match progressed.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:43 AM
kihei

Simon started the first set like gangbusters winning 13 of the first 15 points to go two breaks up, which he then frittered away, but at 5-5 he broke and again and this time held serve for the set. Next to the Big Three and Gulbis, I think the male player that I most like to watch play is Simon. He can be overpowered but he has a very stylish game, one that might have passed for elegant once upon a time if Roger had never come on the scene and pretty much retired that adjective, for tennis players anyway.

Second set: Tsonga finally managed to wipe the sleep from his eyes (how many matches does he start looking like he just got out of bed? 50%?, 60%? The guy must have an interesting love life) and ran off to a 3-0 single-break lead. But Simon kept the pressure on and won going away, taking 19 of the last 22 points of the match. Nice win for Gilles.

Last edited by kihei: 04-20-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old
04-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Internet connection too slow to watch right now, but Simon over Tsonga should hardly be a surprise. Tsonga played a terrible match against Verdasco, and performs poorly on clay. I think Lopez is the most "stylish" player other than Fed on tour.

Berdych badly outplayed Murray today. Hope I can watch his match with Djokovic.

Old
04-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Decent first set between Berdych and Djokovic. The strong wind has definitely bothered Novak, but it has also helped to keep Berdych's first serve percentage low. Novak was up 4-2 but lost the last four games - first broken at love, and then in a long deuce game. Bad double faults from both players but Berdych gradually dictating the play, causing Novak's forehand a lot of trouble. Novak almost smashes his racquet when he misses on break point with Berdych serving for the set at 5-4 - can't remember the last time I saw that from him. 6-4 Berdych in the end.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Novak prevails 6-3, 6-2 in the last two sets. Tightened up his ground game and got several unreturned serves when Berdych was threatening, partly due to his own merit and partly because Berdych is probably the worst returner of second serve of any top player. He really struggles to keep routine returns in play sometimes. Berdych also hit a lot more backhand errors as the match wore on. Not a great match overall, and the wind only got worse as it went on.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:26 AM
kihei

Nadal over Simon 6-3, 6-4. I only saw the second set but it was an excellent example of why clay is the most demanding surface. Nadal played extremely well, but Simon hung in there all the way. Early in the set Rafa hit a lot of high, looping forehands that Gilles was really teeing off on. Nadal is great at lunging "gets," but at times he looked more like a hockey goalie making reflex saves. There were some fabulous long points with Simon winning his share. On the whole, a very high quality set of tennis with Nadal not exactly eking out the win, but certainly being severely tested to achieve it. The final tomorrow should be a beauty with Rafa going for his 8th championship at Monte Carlo. If Rafa is going to break Nole's winning streak against him, this is the court made to order for him to do it. I feel like, for once, I have the right horse in this race. But I know how that usually goes...

Old
04-22-2012, 07:53 AM
kihei

A fascinating "my favourite court" versus "my favourite opponent" match-up that both can't win.

First set: After a brilliant opening game from Nole, Rafa quickly establishes control and takes the set 6-3, with two service breaks. Nole isn't sharp and his backhand looks a little wobbly. Rafa is, as usual, chasing everything down.

Second set: Rafa quickly takes command over an error-prove Nole, has a slight hiccup at 4-0 to lose his only service game, but quickly closes out the match, 6-1. Just not Nole's day.

Last edited by kihei: 04-22-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old
04-22-2012, 07:56 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
A fascinating "my favourite court" versus "my favourite opponent" match-up that both can't win.

First set: After a brilliant opening game from Nole, Rafa quickly establishes control and takes the set 6-3, with two service breaks. Nole isn't sharp and his backhand looks a little wobbly. Rafa is, as usual, chasing everything down.
Yup. The timing/footwork off that side has been terrible. Nole was better than Nadal the first two games, then dropped off from there.

Old
04-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Ljubicic in the crowd.

4-0 Nadal in the second. Novak doesn't look willing to fight today.

Nadal and his neurotic line-stepping and deferral to opponents on the changeover.

Old
04-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Dud of a match. Nadal just had to keep the ball in play; Djokovic beat himself. Presumably a word of consolation from Nadal about Novak's grandfather in the handshake line. That makes 8 straight MCs for Nadal and his first tournament win in over 10 months. I guess he had to beat Novak eventually.

Closed Thread