HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Brayden Schenn Discussion.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:38 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
As long as he keeps rotating 4 defenseman instead of 6, it won't matter who he tries to shut down.
You could be talking about Lavy too, though.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:59 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
You could be talking about Lavy too, though.
Nah, It's not close to how Disco used his d last night. Bourdon missed half the game and still logged more time than Engelland and Lovejoy.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:52 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftTackle51 View Post
Schenn reminiscing style of the Big E last night brought me to tears.
I thought his hits were more reminiscent of the #10 of that era - guys used to run at LeClair and he'd just lean and brace and they'd bounce off and wind up flat.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Yeah. Schenn earned his number last night.

04-12-2012, 12:17 PM
BernieParent

Hopefully, we can all look back at the 2012 SC playoffs as Schenn's coming-out party. And enjoy the Cup parade, too!

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:21 PM
TheSpectrum

I was watching Schenn last night and the one name that kept coming up in my mind was David Backes … I don’t think Schenn’s defensive game is there yet to where he can be considered a shutdown guy like Backes, but his natural instinct to play a physical game, win face offs, get timely scoring reminds me a lot of the type of work Backes is doing to elevate St. Louis . I hope his offensive game evolves more and we see the type of scoring that we saw last night but if he ends up developing into a David Backes type, it would be a perfect fit to this team.

TheSpectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Cleary84

I could watch these vids all day. Schenn is playing with a fire under his arse, and its great to see him look a lot like the player he was traded for.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Top Cheese Danish

NHL Network's first two stars of last night: 1. Brayden Schenn, 2. Mike Richards.

Even trade so far... until you factor in the fact that we ALSO got Simmer and Grossmann out of it.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Elever
Hth

Richards is listed as 5'11, 199 lbs. Schenn is listed at 6'1, 190. Might get better at hitting and puck control once/if he fills out.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Richards is listed as 5'11, 199 lbs. Schenn is listed at 6'1, 190. Might get better at hitting and puck control once/if he fills out.
There's a reason his ceiling is considered to be a better Mike Richards. We all saw it last night. Those hits he had in the second period had my friends and me texting "WHOA BRAYDEN ****ING SCHENN" back and forth multiple times.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Reaper1097

All season I have read flyers fans posts constantly comparing Schenn (and Couturier) to richards and carter. Heck, I have had a bunch of heated debates with the friends about it. But the one thing that I feel most people fail realize when comparing is that you are looking at two rookies vs. two 26-27 years old in their prime.

In my opinion both schenn and couturier are better then when richards and carter where at this age. Rememeber, both richards and carter didnt make it to the NHL until the season in which they each turned 21. Which is next season for schenn and 2 more seasons for couturier.

I think that these trades are going to be looked back on and be rated overwhelmingly in the flyers favor.

Oh by the way, the flyers also got Simmonds, voracek, grossmann and nick cousins in the trades as well...

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
All season I have read flyers fans posts constantly comparing Schenn (and Couturier) to richards and carter. Heck, I have had a bunch of heated debates with the friends about it. But the one thing that I feel most people fail realize when comparing is that you are looking at two rookies vs. two 26-27 years old in their prime.

In my opinion both schenn and couturier are better then when richards and carter where at this age. Rememeber, both richards and carter didnt make it to the NHL until the season in which they each turned 21. Which is next season for schenn and 2 more seasons for couturier.

I think that these trades are going to be looked back on and be rated overwhelmingly in the flyers favor.

Oh by the way, the flyers also got Simmonds, voracek, grossmann and nick cousins in the trades as well...
I am glad to see Jeff and Mike together again. It just seems to fit. I am also happy to see they are doing well now. But in saying that. In time if these young players continue to improve.These two trades will look overwhelmingly in favor of the Flyers. Plus you have to factor Bryz in along with the picks we gave for him. They all kind of go hand in hand.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Broad Street Elite

Kings - Flyers Stanley Cup Final... Can you imagine?

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
He could be a very solid 6'1, 205 or 210.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:12 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Kings - Flyers Stanley Cup Final... Can you imagine?
That would be too awesome. Can't happen.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:32 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
There's a reason his ceiling is considered to be a better Mike Richards. We all saw it last night. Those hits he had in the second period had my friends and me texting "WHOA BRAYDEN ****ING SCHENN" back and forth multiple times.
There is another variable...Schenn is probably more conditioned than Richards. That was the knock against Richards. He didn't condition himself properly in the offseason for the long haul of the playoffs. That's why he tends to lose gas like what happened in 2010 when he was totally spent by the Finals and Holmgren made the comment in the press that Richards was not quite there....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:35 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
There is another variable...Schenn is probably more conditioned than Richards. That was the knock against Richards. He didn't condition himself properly in the offseason for the long haul of the playoffs. That's why he tends to lose gas like what happened in 2010 when he was totally spent by the Finals and Holmgren made the comment in the press that Richards was not quite there....
Schenn's shot is better too

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:37 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post

A agree...the Flyers extended their window of success with the trades..got bigger, younger, hungrier, deeper etc etc. It's a no brainer quite frankly...

They did what they had to do....you can only get so much out of Carter and Richards going forward whereas we'll reap more from our returns...

Old
04-13-2012, 09:38 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Schenn's shot is better too
He's also doing very well at faceoffs...

Old
04-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
A agree...the Flyers extended their window of success with the trades..got bigger, younger, hungrier, deeper etc etc. It's a no brainer quite frankly...

They did what they had to do....you can only get so much out of Carter and Richards going forward whereas we'll reap more from our returns...
Especially when the team was only getting older and there were no prospects and no draft picks to fix that. A lot of people want to look to conspiracy theories and all that, but there's a much simpler answer: the precipice that many predicted we would reach by trading all our prospects and picks away had been reached. Something had to be done. So far it looks like it's been done amazingly well.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:29 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Especially when the team was only getting older and there were no prospects and no draft picks to fix that. A lot of people want to look to conspiracy theories and all that, but there's a much simpler answer: the precipice that many predicted we would reach by trading all our prospects and picks away had been reached. Something had to be done. So far it looks like it's been done amazingly well.
We need a top flight young D though for when Timonen retires

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
We need a top flight young D though for when Timonen retires
Yeah, who knows how that will be addressed. It's the only question left unanswered.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:50 AM
xifentoozlerix

I am confident Holmgren will address the team need on D after the season is over. Most people can admit that he tries to fill holes. What a lot of what I call the phans seem to miss is that he tends to fill holes with guys who play an "orange and black" style. He is really good at identifying players who will succeed playing "Flyers hockey". Whether you agree with the style or not, Holmgren knows how to build a team and that team plays the kind of hockey we all love here. There is a reason Richards is on the table for players like Schenn and Simmonds. He wouldn't have moved Richards for a package involving a guy like Kadri, much to the chagrin of Leafs' Nation.

Over his tenure as GM, I think Homer is batting ~.800 so far in terms of his trades and signings. Can't really complain about that at all...

xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
My contention was to always leverage Carter at least (Richards was a bit of a surprise) in the manner in which we did ..although I didn't expect it to turn out like such a coup.

The conspiracy theory counter -argument IMO is overblown with respect to denigrating those who reasonably did call for something to get done before we reached that precipice you speak of. There were howls anytime it was even suggested to trade Carter let alone Richards let's be honest here. Having said this, in Richards' case there is no doubt there were extenuating circumstances off the ice that played a part in his departure...

Old
04-13-2012, 12:00 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
My contention was to always leverage Carter at least (Richards was a bit of a surprise) in the manner in which we did ..although I didn't expect it to turn out like such a coup.

The conspiracy theory counter -argument IMO is overblown with respect to denigrating those who reasonably did call for something to get done before we reached that precipice you speak of. There were howls anytime it was even suggested to trade Carter let alone Richards let's be honest here. Having said this, in Richards' case there is no doubt there were extenuating circumstances off the ice that played a part in his departure...
The snow-on-the-stick dig that Burrows took at Richards makes me ponder. Did he base it on the wild "partying ways" speculation or is there more to it?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote