HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings Prospects Tracker - Part III - Revenge of the Prospects

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-12-2012, 11:02 PM
  #1
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,277
vCash: 500
Red Wings Prospects Tracker - Part III - Revenge of the Prospects

Proceed.



v2.0:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1084971

v1.0:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1018481

sarcastro is offline  
Old
04-12-2012, 11:18 PM
  #2
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Captain Bob's Prospect list;
1: Smith
2. Nyquist
3. Jurco
4. Jarnkrok
5. Ouellet
6. Sheahan
7. Tatar
8. Tvrdon
9. Andersson
10. Mrazek
11. Marcenko
12. Almquist
13. Ferraro
14. Sproul
15. Pulkkinen
16. Backman
17. Aubry
18. Callahan
19. Lashoff
20. Dick Axelsson

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
04-12-2012, 11:46 PM
  #3
Tatar
Registered User
 
Tatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dubuque
Country: Poland
Posts: 231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Captain Bob's Prospect list;
1: Smith
2. Nyquist
3. Jurco
4. Jarnkrok
5. Ouellet
6. Sheahan
7. Tatar
8. Tvrdon
9. Andersson
10. Mrazek
11. Marcenko
12. Almquist
13. Ferraro
14. Sproul
15. Pulkkinen
16. Backman
17. Aubry
18. Callahan
19. Lashoff
20. Dick Axelsson
That low? I know he's a boom or bust pick but he's top 10 for sure

Tatar is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 12:13 AM
  #4
ginnungagap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Ferraro ahead of Sproul?- I like individuality in these kind of rankings (otherwise they're all the same so what's the point?) but when I saw Sproul in the prospect tournament/training camp he screamed raw potential. Add in a solid full season in the OHL and he's not too far from Ouellet in my book.

ginnungagap is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 12:22 AM
  #5
Frk It
#FireHolland
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Captain Bob's Prospect list;
1: Smith
2. Nyquist
3. Jurco
4. Jarnkrok
5. Ouellet
6. Sheahan
7. Tatar
8. Tvrdon
9. Andersson
10. Mrazek
11. Marcenko
12. Almquist
13. Ferraro
14. Sproul
15. Pulkkinen
16. Backman
17. Aubry
18. Callahan
19. Lashoff
20. Dick Axelsson
Why is Marchenko so high? I think Backman has looked better since they both were drafted.

Frk It is online now  
Old
04-13-2012, 12:45 AM
  #6
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnungagap View Post
Ferraro ahead of Sproul?- I like individuality in these kind of rankings (otherwise they're all the same so what's the point?) but when I saw Sproul in the prospect tournament/training camp he screamed raw potential. Add in a solid full season in the OHL and he's not too far from Ouellet in my book.
Sproul always seemed really, really raw to me, where as guys like Ouellet, Backman and Marcenko have a skill set that makes them a safer bet for the NHL.
But in the end, Sproul could be a monster.

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 12:56 AM
  #7
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings4013 View Post
Why is Marchenko so high? I think Backman has looked better since they both were drafted.
Backman has looked better because Marcenko has been hurt so much.
But reports I've read list Marcenko is a really, really good defenseman who has a great toolset and a great attitude.

Plus he's Russian, and I think Russian prospects are almost always underrated.

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 01:32 AM
  #8
19 for president
Registered User
 
19 for president's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 500
Potential: (*Note this is the super high, tops out type potential)
1. Jurco (Datsyuk type player with a Hossa type body)
Smith (Rob Blake type dman, great shot + gritty checking ability)
2. Nyquist (Dats light)
3. Jarnkrok (Young Z light)
4. Mrzaek (Hasek light)
5. Sheahan (Arnott/ Primeau type two way center with a gritty side)
6. Almquist (PP qb similar to Lids in style that is more Kronner like in defensive play)
7. Sproul (Souray minus the contract and health issues)
8. Tvrdon (Franzen with a bit more offensive zest but not as good defensively)
9. Tatar (Hudler with better speed and grittiness, but always has a size issue)
10. Pulkinen (Hull light, he has the great shot already if he can get the release down his potential is there)

NHL Likelyhood
1. Nyquist (he's here, and I see him being no worse than a great 3rd line player)
2. Smith (same as Nyquist, he gets #2 ranking based soley on the fact that D are more likely to have 1 good fluke season)
3. Jarnkrok (taking the Z route to the NHL and I see no reason he can't at least be a 3rd line center)
4. Andersson (very close to being and NHLer already, has made good offensive strides will likely be a 4th line type center)
5. Sheahan (has the NHL size and is good enough defensively to at least make the team a checking line center)
6. Ouelette (good 2 way dman that should at least develop into a bottom pairing dman)
7. Tatar (similar issues to Hudler, could have a hard time sticking in the NHL if he doesn't secure a top 6 spot or at least PP time)
8. Lashoff (guy strikes me as a brad stuart lite dman, which means he should be an ok bottom pairing guy at least)
9. Backman (strikes me as a fairly safe pick to at least get a bottom pairing shot at some point in the future)
10. Tvrdon (size and build gives him an advantage, consistency is his big issue)

So to sum it up I think Jurco is a star or bust. Pulkinen, Almquist and Mrzaek are similar but their ceilings even less achievable. Nyquist and Smith are going to be very solid and are already NHLers. I think the Wings have at least 5 surefire NHLers in their system right now, which isn't bad at all.

19 for president is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 07:26 AM
  #9
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Backman has looked better because Marcenko has been hurt so much.
But reports I've read list Marcenko is a really, really good defenseman who has a great toolset and a great attitude.

Plus he's Russian, and I think Russian prospects are almost always underrated.
I disagree on. Some parts of the list, but that happens for everyone.

No Jensen?

Vatican Roulette is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 08:10 AM
  #10
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,822
vCash: 500
Mindfly's ranking:

1: Smith
2. Järnkrok
3. Nyquist
4. Jurco
5. Ouellet
6. Tatar
7. Sheahan
8. Tvrdon
9. Andersson
10. Mrazek
11. Sproul
12. Marcenko
13. Pulkkinen
14. Almquist
15. Ferraro
16. Backman
17. Aubry
18. Callahan
19. Jensen
20. Lashoff


I swar to everything holy that Järnkrok will be better than Nyquist (if he isn't already). He's underrated on these boards...probably because folks don't like to compare SEL with NA hockey.

mindfly is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 08:45 AM
  #11
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,382
vCash: 500
I would rank Backman over Almqvist anyday, and by some margin. Backman's 6'2" frame and skating just makes him a lot more intriguing.

joe89 is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 09:40 AM
  #12
ZetterBurger
Registered User
 
ZetterBurger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I would rank Backman over Almqvist anyday, and by some margin. Backman's 6'2" frame and skating just makes him a lot more intriguing.
Not disagreeing, but isn't Almqvist recognized as an incredible skater?

ZetterBurger is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 09:58 AM
  #13
zecke26
Registered User
 
zecke26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I would rank Backman over Almqvist anyday, and by some margin. Backman's 6'2" frame and skating just makes him a lot more intriguing.
i'm not objective here since i think backman will be a cornerstone of the wings future and their unsung hero, but almqvist really didn't take the next step this past season. he probably should have made the jump across the ocean last summer. but we'll see. almqvist's hockey sense is something special and even though his chances don't look good at the moment, i think there's still a bit hope he can get back on track and break out. he's boom or bust pretty much, but the potential is still there.

that being said, if i'd have the choice, i'd take backman without any hesitation.

zecke26 is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 10:44 AM
  #14
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,822
vCash: 500
Was bäckman even a regular in the SEL this season?

mindfly is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 10:44 AM
  #15
RedMachine87
Registered User
 
RedMachine87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: A^2
Country: United States
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Backman has looked better because Marcenko has been hurt so much.
But reports I've read list Marcenko is a really, really good defenseman who has a great toolset and a great attitude.

Plus he's Russian, and I think Russian prospects are almost always underrated.
Can't argue with that logic.

But seriously, your list is similar to how I would rank them. Although I'd have Jarnkrok third at the moment, definitely higher then Jurco. Jarnkrok is a very good player already, after another year in the SEL he will be ready to jump straight to the NHL (third line center or better, from the start, IMO).

Marchenko has a good tool set but hasn't proven enough to be that high. It's great he has come back from his injury and is doing well in the MHL, but until he is a solid contributer in the KHL I'm not holding my breath for him.

RedMachine87 is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 10:46 AM
  #16
zecke26
Registered User
 
zecke26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Was bäckman even a regular in the SEL this season?
no, he was invited to play for sweden because of his strong J20 games.

you should start following swedish hockey instead of studying medicine.

zecke26 is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 10:49 AM
  #17
RedMachine87
Registered User
 
RedMachine87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: A^2
Country: United States
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Not disagreeing, but isn't Almqvist recognized as an incredible skater?
No, Almqvist is not that strong of a skater. That, and being pretty small/light, are his main weaknesses. His hockey sense is through the roof, however. Like Anakin Skywalker's metachlorian count high .

RedMachine87 is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 10:51 AM
  #18
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
no, he was invited to play for sweden because of his strong J20 games.

you should start following swedish hockey instead of studying medicine.
I heard he played with J20 lately what was that about then? did I just dream it?

mindfly is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
  #19
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Well since everyone is doing it

Smith
Nyquist (could be first but I value D a bit more)
Jarnkrok
Jurco
Sheahan
Tatar
Ouellet
Mrazek
Andersson
Sproul
Pulkkinen
Tvrdon
Jensen
Marchenko
Almuist
Backman
Ferraro
Aubry
Callahan

This list is more based on upside for the most part but I also took likelihood of NHL into account.

Aubry has been really good lately and seems to really be putting it all together. He reminds me quite a bit of Paul Gaustad out there and that could be his potential.

Callahan probably tops out as a 10 goal third liner, but I think he may be in the top 10 most likely to make it prospects because of the role he plays

Pullkinen has dropped for me because of his skating and production this year, but it also has a lot to do with the play of others as well.

Smith and Nyquist are interchangable at number 1 to me, I think Smith would be more valuable in a trade because of the style of game he plays and position.

Mindfly - I find it impossible to rate Jarnkrok higher than Nyquist because Nyquist has shown hes an offensive contributor at the NHL level already. Jarnkrok very well may be the better of the 2 and he has done very well, but its hard to argue against a guy playing at a high level in the NHL.

Sheahan may be high for some but I watched him a lot and always saw a very good skill set on him he did just seemed reigned in by his coaches a bit. Powerforwards offense doesnt usually develop until later anyways. In the AHL he showed really good hands as well. I like a big, tough, 2 way center over a guy like Tatar. Sheahans NHL liklihood is also really high

newfy is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 10:56 AM
  #20
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,089
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Backman has looked better because Marcenko has been hurt so much.
But reports I've read list Marcenko is a really, really good defenseman who has a great toolset and a great attitude.

Plus he's Russian, and I think Russian prospects are almost always underrated.
Wasn't there talk that he was seen as a first round talent in some circles, but injuries and the KHL scared teams off?

__________________
blah, blah, blah
Winger98 is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 11:08 AM
  #21
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Mindfly - I find it impossible to rate Jarnkrok higher than Nyquist because Nyquist has shown hes an offensive contributor at the NHL level already. Jarnkrok very well may be the better of the 2 and he has done very well, but its hard to argue against a guy playing at a high level in the NHL.
If he wasn't busy tearing it up in the SEL and in it's playoffs and didn't have a contract with Brynäs he could have been in the lineup instead of nyquist and you wouldn't say he was a worse player, he's a center as well, i value centers higher.

Oh and also just a little bonus, he's a right handed shot which this teams desperately needs.

mindfly is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 11:13 AM
  #22
Trvp Lord
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Smith
Nyquist
Jarnkrok
Jurco
Tatar
Sheahan
Ouellet
Mrazek
Tvrdon
Pulkkinen
Jensen
Marchenko
Almquist
Backman
Ferraro
Aubry
Callahan

That's my list since everybody's doing their own.
I think Tvrdon could turn out and be a big boom for us.

Trvp Lord is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 11:22 AM
  #23
zecke26
Registered User
 
zecke26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
I heard he played with J20 lately what was that about then? did I just dream it?
he played J20 lately, simply because the J20 team made the play-offs (finals i think) while the elitserien team didn't.

but he also played 4 games for sweden lately at the euro hockey challenge (2 games vs norway and belarus each)

zecke26 is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 11:24 AM
  #24
zecke26
Registered User
 
zecke26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Wasn't there talk that he was seen as a first round talent in some circles, but injuries and the KHL scared teams off?
yeah, i think so. he dropped because of injuries and obviously because of being russian. but if he ever gets healthy, he could be a very interesting prospect. and probably the next "how did the wings get this guy?" draftee.

zecke26 is offline  
Old
04-13-2012, 11:43 AM
  #25
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,089
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
yeah, i think so. he dropped because of injuries and obviously because of being russian. but if he ever gets healthy, he could be a very interesting prospect. and probably the next "how did the wings get this guy?" draftee.
well, clearly, it's because we buy them.

Winger98 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.