HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why does Mike Keenan have anything to do with this organization?

Old
04-13-2012, 09:13 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Why does Mike Keenan have anything to do with this organization?

I don't get it. Yes he won the Cup. I get that. But the divisiveness and behind the scenes power grab he attempted during that Cup run almost ruined the season.

He's on Si.com picking the Pens to win the Cup.

This guy does not deserve to have anything to do with the Rangers.

04-13-2012, 09:19 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Yeah I don't get it either. Plus, he's an atrocious speaker. Studders constantly and muffles his words. Half the time I don't know what the hell he's trying to get at or say.

I joke with my dad all the time who's been a Ranger fan since the late 60's and only has the 94 cup really to hold onto. The organization hangs onto the 94 cup like it's the only thing they want to remember. Sure, I understand it was a big deal. It was almost 2 decades ago though. I like Leetch, Messier, Graves and the like, but there's something pathetic about a network and franchise that just doesn't seem to be able to let go. Most of these guys are not TV-worthy.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Levitate

Yeah this franchise needs another cup so they can let go of '94 a bit

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Giacomin

I happened to see Mike yesterday a few blocks away from the Garden and he was not what I expected him to be. He stopped to have his picture taken with a bunch of fans and was very talkative. This was at about 5pm on 33rd St. so I guess he was going to work. He said he likes the Rangers to get at least to the Eastern Finals and thinks that Kreider will play a decent amount in the playoffs. I was very surprised at his interaction with the fans yesterday

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:47 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Boy do I think the same thing every time I see him on TV. And he's a poor speaker as well.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:53 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

When we get our dynasty going MSG will be like "Mike who?"

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:01 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Rangers fans will always have a soft spot for 1994. I don't care if you were 5, 25, 55 or 75 at the time. No Cup for 54 years was something special when they won it. It's been 18 years now and while if they win this year it will also be special, any fan who was around at that time will never forget that Cup.

Sure, it would be nice if it was brought up a little less, but it honestly doesn't bother me. It's a fond memory.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:03 AM
eco's bones

If I were to bet on someone to come out of the East it would be Pittsburgh. Not what I want to happen but they have 2 superstars and a solid team in all areas and more depth than most. + it's questionable whether the NHL will help them along. After all we have Colin Campbell already apologizing to the Pens for the blown offside goal whilst in the meantime not uttering a single word about the blown icing call that led to the 3rd Flyers goal. How many times do apologies from the league office for an on ice officiating miscue happen? Never.

Not sure though why Rangers hired Keenan. He's not a particularly insightful and/or electric spokesman. He might have some dirt on somebody. The battle between him and Neil Smith has plenty of dirt for both sides to wallow in. Reading Meisel's book it seems that the two did get together to orchestrate his departure--knowing that they couldn't put up with each other any longer.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Absolutely agree. And it is pathetic.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Dorado*

My father and I initially thought Keenan was brought on board MSG to act as a spector looming in the dark with an ominous presence over Torts in case he wasn't getting the job done .
Now that Torts has cemented his position with a div/ CONF title it is simply a matter of NYR doing like a lot of big $$$ organizations do and put someone instrumental in last success on the payroll ; 1 . To keep them financially set give them a job
2, reminds fans of the Glory Days

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:11 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Well, just like the Rangers bring Leetch in. He's been getting more comfortable recently, but anyone who says that at the beginning he did well as an analyst is kidding themselves.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Keenan is terrible. He's so awkward.

Weakest link in the MSG broadcasting team by far.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
pretty much this. only good thing about seeing him is he reminds me of the Rangers winning a cup.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
But I thought THAT ONE WOULD LAST A LIFETIME

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Keenan creates this huge smell every organization he ever worked for.

I know this sounds like a gratuitous name drop, but I am good friends with someone related to Chuck Fletcher. Keenan and Chuck worked up a plan for the Panthers years ago. Chuck went on vacation to Europe and when he came back was fired because of what Keenan did behind his back while he was on vacation........That is a shortened condensed version.

Keenan is a slimeball, that's all he is and all he will ever be.

Edit: To be clear my friend has nothing to do with the NHL, she knows the inside story and Keenan was really over the top disgusting.

Last edited by Miamipuck: 04-13-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:50 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Living off the cup....

04-13-2012, 10:59 AM
rangerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
But I thought THAT ONE WOULD LAST A LIFETIME
It will last a lifetime. If those of you that want to 'let go of '94 a bit' had lived through it, along with the failure and heartbreak experienced by true fans for decades, you would get it.

That being said, Iron Mike should go do Blues games. Get Petr Nedved to take his spot on MSG if Leetch doesn't want it full time.

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I absolutely agree with everyone, and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I'm not the only one. Part of me wretches every time I see him on screen. I think he's there for a combination of factors: the producers wanted a coach on the broadcast team; casual fans know who he is, but probably not the ins and outs of his departure and behind-the-scenes machinations; MSG's 1994-obsession; Keenan himself has become hockey talking-head these days, being on NBC, SI, etc. etc.

Hell, I'd rather see Ron Low out there.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Pizza

Mad Mike.

You know what I love about this guy???? He totally F 'D up and....he admits it. Like all the time. Always gonna have a bit a soft spot in my heart for him.

Winning a Stanley Cup for the New York Rangers goes a long, long way fellas. Especially that Cup, with those players, with our front office.

I'm glad we don't dismiss important legacy people....like some other organizations. Loyalty is still important....even if it ain't cool.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't get it. Yes he won the Cup. I get that. But the divisiveness and behind the scenes power grab he attempted during that Cup run almost ruined the season.

He's on Si.com picking the Pens to win the Cup.

This guy does not deserve to have anything to do with the Rangers.
If anyone else made this thread it would have already been deleted, and or moved.

nevesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan2 View Post
It will last a lifetime. If those of you that want to 'let go of '94 a bit' had lived through it, along with the failure and heartbreak experienced by true fans for decades, you would get it.

That being said, Iron Mike should go do Blues games. Get Petr Nedved to take his spot on MSG if Leetch doesn't want it full time.
You're saying this to SBOB and Levitate? Not to mention myself. We all remember 1994 quite clearly.

That said, I like Petr Nedved a lot more than Iron Mike, plus he's well-spoken, probably good on camera and can pronounce players' names correctly.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

never cared for Keenan. never thought he was a great coach, never liked him on TV...he basically jumped ship the first chance he got. screw him.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:26 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

i can see the point in getting bent that he's even still around but honestly i couldnt care less either way. He's propped up in front of a camera for the same reasons why Leetch is, because MSG knows they represent a great time in ranger fan history. NEither of them have any business commentating but its good to see them still in the game, at least Leetch anyway.
the NHL has a wonderful way of bringinig in Ex players who realllly have no business being in front of a camera let alone speaking. I get the experience factor and the fact that they can speak to whats going on in the game having been through it but...mike modano? "ryan o' callahan" really? Jaime Mclennan? Anson Carter? Butch goring, there isnt enough bandwidth on this site to document his misguided ramblings. I like that the league sort of takes care of thier own but some of the choices they make on the broadcasting end are atrocious at best. I'd put Keenan in the "meh whatever" category. Seeing Glenn Anderson at every friggin ranger function is more annoying to me than seeing Keenan ever will become, the anderson thing is just baffling.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
To me, the fact that he's not very good on the air is the last reason he shouldn't be a part of the franchise (or media covering it). He put himself first and made it very clear that his own self interest was most important.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

The way he left was absolutely terrible. However, for me at least, after 18 years, the good memories of that season far outweigh the bad ones.

He was a good coach and knows the game, even if he's awkward on camera. His best insights, though, come when he's talking about Tortorella. They don't have similar personalities overall, but their coaching personas are very close.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote