HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about Yandle

Old
04-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

vCash: 500
Question about Yandle

Couple of questions:

Is there a reason Yandle:

1) Gets relatively low minutes overall (last night was a good example-but seems to be a trend all season)

2) Not get any PP time despite being the top scoring d-man on the team and close to top ten in the NHL

I find the management of his minutes pretty curious. Tippett lack confidence in his game? More in love with other guys (Ekman-Larsson for instance)?

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 04-13-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:34 AM
PhoPhan

Yandle had 55 seconds on the PP last night, but the Coyotes only had about 3:28 last night in total. I suspect that's why his total ice time was a little down.

On the whole, though, I think last year was a bit of an aberration because he was the only defenseman on the team with any offensive skill. Now that OEL has turned into a dependable offensive guy, Yandle doesn't need to play so many minutes in offensive situations, and the Coyotes have better options defensively.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Kaizen

Yandle's had some somewhat infrequent brain farts late in the season so the coaching staff is trying to manage his minutes accordingly.

He did see PP time last night there just wasn't that much to go around.

The PP hasn't performed well so they're trying out a few different looks/set-ups. He'll see time significant time on the PP before its all said and done.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:36 AM
mitch27

Yandle can't handle a ton of minutes. He starts getting stupid for some reason. i don't know if it's mental fatigue or what, but down the stretch Tippett limited his minutes and he looked a lot better than earlier in the year. Plus he played awful last night.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:48 AM
BuffaloAZ

Yandle played horrible last night. Part of me wonders if he has been playing with an injury for a while? Hard to beleive he has a great season (both Offensively and defensively) last year; and has regressed so much this season.

BuffaloAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:11 AM
hbk

Yandle was overplayed earlier in the season and was prone to some huge mental Jovo like blunders late in games. Once Tippett and co. started to manage his minutes better his play defensively improved and the Jovo tape to tape passes to the opposition in the slot stopped. I actually thought Yandle played a good game last night overall. We are starting to see them work the back door play to Yandle back into the offense which will be good for him. Yandle is also starting to walk the line more rather than stay stationary with the puck and hammer it into the opposition forwards shin pads. Let's face it though the awesome play of OEL is overshadowing Yandle. I don't have a problem with that though. Yandle is still an effective player.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:11 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I think he started out the season trying way too hard. I remember thinking, "Relax Yandle, you don't have to earn that contract all in one game.". With trying too hard came a LOT of mistakes. Big fat blunders. This really seemed to hurt his confidence and we saw the dreaded hesitation sneak into his game. For a player like Yandle, hesitation is arsenic. It poisons them on a cellular level, and it wrecks their nerves. That's why we are seeing the double clutching when he gets set up good and proper. Thats why we are seeing him act like the power play is a game of hot potato. For the first time in his incredibly effective career as a river boat gambler, he's hesitating. He's thinking when he should be doing.

I have no doubt he will hit the reset button this summer and come the **** back out of his own head for good.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:20 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I think he started out the season trying way too hard. I remember thinking, "Relax Yandle, you don't have to earn that contract all in one game.". With trying too hard came a LOT of mistakes. Big fat blunders. This really seemed to hurt his confidence and we saw the dreaded hesitation sneak into his game. For a player like Yandle, hesitation is arsenic. It poisons them on a cellular level, and it wrecks their nerves. That's why we are seeing the double clutching when he gets set up good and proper. Thats why we are seeing him act like the power play is a game of hot potato. For the first time in his incredibly effective career as a river boat gambler, he's hesitating. He's thinking when he should be doing.

I have no doubt he will hit the reset button this summer and come the **** back out of his own head for good.

I think this is a fair assessment as well.

Old
04-13-2012, 10:51 AM
zz

He was really bad last night. Not just average. Really bad. Tons of giveaways. Making decisions too late. Zero help on offense. Just terrible.

He needs to learn from OEL. The kid is just going with the flow. Zero nerves. He makes a few mistakes, but won't let those affect his head. Now, sure, OEL is probably the better all-around player, but still, that's the way Yandle needs to play. Right now he's useless.

Talking about useless, did Langkow play last night? I don't remember ever seeing his name on the ice.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

It could be as well that maybe Yandle doesnt feel the need to step it up as much as last season because he has the contract he wants.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:02 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
It could be as well that maybe Yandle doesnt feel the need to step it up as much as last season because he has the contract he wants.
I don't think that's fair. Yandle has probably regressed a bit (though to what degree is probably up for debate), but it's certainly not for lack of effort. If anything, he's trying too hard.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:03 AM
hbk

I honestly didn't think he was that bad last night. We limited the scoring chances for the Hawks last night. Overall that was pretty much as good of a game that I've seen this team play all year. I think we're nitpicking over an unfortunate bounce that led to the tieing goal late in the game. He was +2 as well. Of course by that stat OEL was a -1 so you can't read too much into that particular stat.

Old
04-13-2012, 11:07 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I honestly didn't think he was that bad last night. We limited the scoring chances for the Hawks last night. Overall that was pretty much as good of a game that I've seen this team play all year. I think we're nitpicking over an unfortunate bounce that led to the tieing goal late in the game. He was +2 as well. Of course by that stat OEL was a -1 so you can't read too much into that particular stat.
It's always hard to compare impressions from a live game vs TV. I can only refer to plays I saw up close (15 rows up in the corner where Yotes attack twice), you had a better view of the whole game. I'll have to trust your judgement.

Old
04-13-2012, 11:09 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
It's always hard to compare impressions from a live game vs TV. I can only refer to plays I saw up close (15 rows up in the corner where Yotes attack twice), you had a better view of the whole game. I'll have to trust your judgement.
He took a penalty late in the game as well which I understand upsets people. I just think we're jumping on a guy here who played effectively. The whole team played well last night.

Old
04-13-2012, 11:16 AM
zz

Quote:
He took a penalty late in the game as well which I understand upsets people. I just think we're jumping on a guy here who played effectively. The whole team played well last night.
Actually, I didn't care about the penalty. OEL got one, too. **** happens. It's the giveaways in our own zone that drove me nuts. I saw Yandle and Doan cough up the puck unnecessarily way too many times.

But yes, the whole team played their hearts out. Great, great game. And Torres is exactly what we needed for the playoffs. He and Hanzal really set the physical tone. Korpikoski, too, laid some big hits.

Old
04-13-2012, 11:17 AM
mitch27

Quote:
He was really bad last night. Not just average. Really bad. Tons of giveaways. Making decisions too late. Zero help on offense. Just terrible.

He needs to learn from OEL. The kid is just going with the flow. Zero nerves. He makes a few mistakes, but won't let those affect his head. Now, sure, OEL is probably the better all-around player, but still, that's the way Yandle needs to play. Right now he's useless.

Talking about useless, did Langkow play last night? I don't remember ever seeing his name on the ice.
Langkow did have that wicked pass to Pyatt for the first goal. Other than that though, you're right, invisible.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:37 AM
knowsthegame

Yandle played last night like he was afraid to make a mistake, which leads to hesitation. Hopefully it was fist playoff game nerves that he will get over.
His defensive play was improved the last few games of the season. Hopefully he will get back to that level of play the rest of this series.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:39 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I don't think that's fair. Yandle has probably regressed a bit (though to what degree is probably up for debate), but it's certainly not for lack of effort. If anything, he's trying too hard.
Which is why I think he will be back to his old wonderful self by next season. He will just let go of the frustration and simplify his game. The long break should bring perspective.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:07 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Quote:
I was sitting near you....section 105. Didn't think Yandle played that poorly, and trust me I'm not his biggest fan, seemed like minutes were distributed evenly across the 6 D-men.

Re: OEL.....watching him live is amazing. Best skater on the ice last night and nearly every night. I expect the Yotes to try and move Yandle in the off-season for a top 6 forward and OEL becomes the marquee defenseman.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Langkow did have that wicked pass to Pyatt for the first goal. Other than that though, you're right, invisible.
It's stupid how some can criticize Yandle for his miscues last night, but fail to realize that when you think someone is invisible, it just might be because he's doing his job and not making mistakes.

I can't even address those who don't even know that Madcow got a point in the game...on a primary assist no less....on one of many plays where he goes into a hard area and usually comes out with the puck, or at least prevents it from going into our own net.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:12 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
It's stupid how some...
I hope your little internet rant makes you feel empowered.

Old
04-13-2012, 12:13 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Wasn't it Langkow who fetched Smitty's goalie stick when he lost it behind the net? That was helpful...

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:16 PM
indczn

Quote:
He also 2handed someone in the stomach behind the play. Stupid play, but the ref wasn't looking and fortunately didnt get called.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:16 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
Wasn't it Langkow who fetched Smitty's goalie stick when he lost it behind the net? That was helpful...
It was Rosival

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:18 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
He also 2handed someone in the stomach behind the play. Stupid play, but the ref wasn't looking and fortunately didnt get called.
it is war. stuff happens.