HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Brayden Schenn Discussion.

Old
04-13-2012, 12:09 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
I am confident Holmgren will address the team need on D after the season is over. Most people can admit that he tries to fill holes. What a lot of what I call the phans seem to miss is that he tends to fill holes with guys who play an "orange and black" style. He is really good at identifying players who will succeed playing "Flyers hockey". Whether you agree with the style or not, Holmgren knows how to build a team and that team plays the kind of hockey we all love here. There is a reason Richards is on the table for players like Schenn and Simmonds. He wouldn't have moved Richards for a package involving a guy like Kadri, much to the chagrin of Leafs' Nation.

Over his tenure as GM, I think Homer is batting ~.800 so far in terms of his trades and signings. Can't really complain about that at all...
Personally, I don't think enough credit is directed at Holmgren's staff like Chris Pryor and Don Luce. However, Holmgren deserved a lot of credit for bringing them both in when Holmgren became a GM , if I recall correctly. Luce was especially instrumental with Buffalo in those years when Buffalo was a thorn in our side...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
My contention was to always leverage Carter at least (Richards was a bit of a surprise) in the manner in which we did ..although I didn't expect it to turn out like such a coup.

The conspiracy theory counter -argument IMO is overblown with respect to denigrating those who reasonably did call for something to get done before we reached that precipice you speak of. There were howls anytime it was even suggested to trade Carter let alone Richards let's be honest here. Having said this, in Richards' case there is no doubt there were extenuating circumstances off the ice that played a part in his departure...
If I'd known we'd get Couturier and he'd be this good off the bat (In addition to Voracek), I would have driven Carter to the airport, jammed him into a plane, and then crash landed that plane in Howson's front yard. I did NOT think we would get that sort of value for him. Because I didn't think we'd get an equivalently skilled player back, I thought we'd be better off keeping him. Well...a few GMs dropped the ball, and we won big.

What will be interesting to me is seeing if Holmgren will continue trading all our picks and prospects to fill needs and if he puts us back in the same spot...requiring another explosion.

04-13-2012, 12:13 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If I'd known we'd get Couturier and he'd be this good off the bat (In addition to Voracek), I would have driven Carter to the airport, jammed him into a plane, and then crash landed that plane in Howson's front yard. I did NOT think we would get that sort of value for him.

What will be interesting to me is seeing if Holmgren will continue trading all our picks and prospects to fill needs and if he puts us back in the same spot...requiring another explosion.
Ha ha...I would ride shotgun with ya with Carter in the backseat. Well like they say you gotta play the lottery to win the lottery. In this case we won the mega millions with Couts..thankfully. Let's hope he has a long and healthy and productive career. So far the sky is the limit with him...

Old
04-13-2012, 12:31 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If I'd known we'd get Couturier and he'd be this good off the bat (In addition to Voracek), I would have driven Carter to the airport, jammed him into a plane, and then crash landed that plane in Howson's front yard. I did NOT think we would get that sort of value for him. Because I didn't think we'd get an equivalently skilled player back, I thought we'd be better off keeping him. Well...a few GMs dropped the ball, and we won big.

I was adamant that Couturier should not have started the season on the Flyers roster, and that there were too many rookies as it was to start his NHL contract clock this season. Oops!

Funny aside: one of my colleagues mentioned that he remembers seeing Couturier play one game against his son's squad in juniors. Couturier's team scored 7 goals, 6 of which were scored by Couturier.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:47 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I was adamant that Couturier should not have started the season on the Flyers roster, and that there were too many rookies as it was to start his NHL contract clock this season. Oops!

Funny aside: one of my colleagues mentioned that he remembers seeing Couturier play one game against his son's squad in juniors. Couturier's team scored 7 goals, 6 of which were scored by Couturier.
haha

my buddy's younger brother played againt Giroux back in midgets. they lost the game 5-4 and Giroux scored all 5 goals for his team. They weren't a very good team, aside from the fact that they had Giroux on it who basically was a factor in everyone of his team's goals all the time.

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:15 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Schenn's shot is better too
His wrister, probably.

Not his slapshot, though.
I still believe Mike Richards is one of the best forwards in todays game on the point on the PP. Ridiculous how much he produced from there.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:28 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
His wrister, probably.

Not his slapshot, though.
I still believe Mike Richards is one of the best forwards in todays game on the point on the PP. Ridiculous how much he produced from there.
Ridiculous in generating shots or actually scoring goals b/c his goal production on the PP whether at the point or not has not been exactly Al MacInnis or Al Iafrate-like the last couple of years..

2010-2011 - 5PP
2011-2012 - 3PP

Not sure how many PP points he produced all around but he hasn't been that strong of a producer on the PP since 2009-2010..

Old
04-13-2012, 01:32 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Ridiculous in generating shots or actually scoring goals b/c his goal production on the PP whether at the point or not has not been exactly Al MacInnis or Al Iafrate-like the last couple of years..

2010-2011 - 5PP
2011-2012 - 3PP

Not sure how many PP points he produced all around but he hasn't been that strong of a producer on the PP since 2009-2010..
That's because he hasn't been on the point sine 2009-2010. You proved the OP right.

Richards-Timonen had great chemistry on the point for the PP

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:40 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
That's because he hasn't been on the point sine 2009-2010. You proved the OP right.

Richards-Timonen had great chemistry on the point for the PP
I do recall him being good on the point back then so I agree but I wouldn't characterize him as one of the best in the game since he hasn't performed that role consistently to judge it objectively via actual production. That is my contention...so in some way the OP is half-correct. I will not argue that both Richards and Schenn have way better shots than clunker Carle that is for sure

Old
04-13-2012, 01:51 PM
dookie88

He played that role in 07/08 and 08/09.
Once Pronger arrived there wasn't really a place for him at the point, but once in a while he was double-shifted. He then played the point on the first and on the half-boards on the second unit.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Keaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
I could watch these vids all day. Schenn is playing with a fire under his arse, and its great to see him look a lot like the player he was traded for.

I love how in the second video Craig Adams starts *****ing. He was going to try and layout Schenn after the period ended and looked like a fool falling like a rag doll.

Keaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Ha ha...I would ride shotgun with ya with Carter in the backseat. Well like they say you gotta play the lottery to win the lottery. In this case we won the mega millions with Couts..thankfully. Let's hope he has a long and healthy and productive career. So far the sky is the limit with him...
I will be right behind you with Mike in the car. Love him, but The kid and Simmer made me a believer. If what we saw from Schenn the other night was just the tip of his potenial....Oh baby!!!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote