HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Beau Bennett Signed

Old
04-13-2012, 02:19 PM
TheEdge27

vCash: 543
Didnt Thompson and Gibbons go to WB/S during the playoffs last year? Im not sure if they played any regular season games. Sorry if im wrong.

Quote:
I don't agree with the decision, but who am I. I'm really excited to see how he develops in the pro's.
Thats gotta be tough for a kid. If he was truly serious about finishing school, just knowing theres 2.5mil waiting for you at anytime must be nerve wracking.

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:20 PM
ShatteredGlass
Formerly Andy412

vCash: 500
I don't think it's the wrong move at all.

"Oh he was injured, write him off, he'll suck and never be healthy".

Give me a break. I think it's great that they signed him. It's an ELC, no harm in that, plus he gets to be acclimated to the system sooner. GREAT move.

ShatteredGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:21 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
Didnt Thompson and Gibbons go to WB/S during the playoffs last year? Im not sure if they played any regular season games. Sorry if im wrong.

Thats gotta be tough for a kid. If he was truly serious about finishing school, just knowing theres 2.5mil waiting for you at anytime must be nerve wracking.
Beau never planned on finishing school though. He said at the draft interview that he was planning on 2 years at DU. He's sticking to his plan, which I'm not sure is a good thing.

That extra year at DU would have probably helped him since he's really only played 1 year of college hockey.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Too early to say. I'd imagine a proper ETA would be 2-3 seasons, but it may be sooner if he performs well.

I think he may be here sooner because he's a right hander with a wicked one timer. The powerplay would be helped with him on it.
The issue will be finding a spot for him in the lineup. Ideally, he can replace Kennedy on Staal's line eventually, if we trade/let TK go.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy412 View Post
I don't think it's the wrong move at all.

"Oh he was injured, write him off, he'll suck and never be healthy".

Give me a break. I think it's great that they signed him. It's an ELC, no harm in that, plus he gets to be acclimated to the system sooner. GREAT move.
No one ever said that...

Old
04-13-2012, 02:23 PM
TheEdge27

Quote:
Beau never planned on finishing school though. He said at the draft interview that he was planning on 2 years at DU. He's sticking to his plan, which I'm not sure is a good thing.

That extra year at DU would have probably helped him since he's really only played 1 year of college hockey.
Did he hurt his knee the first year at BU? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Old
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
The issue will be finding a spot for him in the lineup. Ideally, he can replace Kennedy on Staal's line eventually, if we trade/let TK go.
Tangradi and Bennett would be perfect on Staal's line, IMO.

Very well rounded line

Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not really sure what to think at the moment. Maybe he and the organization thought that since he missed so much hockey these past two seasons, they want to give him an opportunity to get in more games in a shorter amount of time. College hockey doesn't have that big of a season.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:24 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Tangradi and Bennett would be perfect on Staal's line, IMO.

Very well rounded line
I'd like it, but will Shero and Bylsma like it? We'll see, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:24 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't agree with the decision, but who am I. I'm really excited to see how he develops in the pro's.
Pretty much agree with this exactly.

Most of us here believed the best move would be to play one more year in Denver, but the Pens are not stupid and have one of the best developmental coaches in John Hynes. They would not have done this if they thought this wasn't going to be good/best for Beau's development.

The truth is, Bennett showed he was able to improve the biggest area he needed to after being drafted: adding size & bulk. Now that he has and will continue to do that, the next step is for him to work on his conditioning and getting accustomed to playing an NHL-style schedule.

I always felt Bennett was 2 more years away, and felt those 2 years were "negotiable" -- whether it was one more in college and one in WBS, or 2 years in WBS. So, IMO, he is still right on track for his development and I expect him to make the jump to the NHL after 2 years in WBS.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:26 PM
JTG

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not really sure what to think at the moment. Maybe he and the organization thought that since he missed so much hockey these past two seasons, they want to give him an opportunity to get in more games in a shorter amount of time. College hockey doesn't have that big of a season.
He went to college to get stronger. So I guess if he's accomplished that...let him go. I just think some intangibles could have been developed next season with him returning to school. He could continue to get stronger, and I'm sure he has some stuff on the ice to work on. It wouldn't have been a wasted year, I don't think.

Quote:
I'd like it, but will Shero and Bylsma like it? We'll see, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
I see Bennett making a very quick appearance in the bottom 6, and then being moved to the top 6 shortly there after.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:28 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
He went to college to get stronger. So I guess if he's accomplished that...let him go. I just think some intangibles could have been developed next season with him returning to school. He could continue to get stronger, and I'm sure he has some stuff on the ice to work on. It wouldn't have been a wasted year, I don't think.
Yeah I don't think it would have been a wasted year in college, but they might have wanted to get him up here to play in more games considering he has missed so many in the past two seasons. The college schedule is on the light side, which is what allowed for him to work out more and bulk up.

Quote:
I see Bennett making a very quick appearance in the bottom 6, and then being moved to the top 6 shortly there after.
I'd like to see that happen, but they don't really make room for their rookies. Shero will sign a veteran, and Bylsma will play that veteran over Bennett.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:29 PM
TheEdge27

Is there any chance of him doing a short stint in Wheeling? Smaller ice, they only roll 3 lines, so there would be more time for him to play. Maybe the first 10 games or so of the season to get his legs back before throwing him into the AHL?

Old
04-13-2012, 02:30 PM
JTG

Quote:
Is there any chance of him doing a short stint in Wheeling? Smaller ice, they only roll 3 lines, so there would be more time for him to play. Maybe the first 10 games or so of the season to get his legs back before throwing him into the AHL?
I'd imagine they are signing him to get some scoring punch in Wilkes Barre

Old
04-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Wasting a year of his ELC time on the ECHL?

That's pretty much the worst-case scenario. He really should have gone back to DU for another year and then left in time to play in the AHL playoffs if they wanted to extend his season.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wej20

Quote:

It's not actually 2.5 million though, I'm sure he really believes in himself but he must know that there is probably a 1 % chance of him playing with the Big Pens next year.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
JTG

Quote:
Yeah I don't think it would have been a wasted year in college, but they might have wanted to get him up here to play in more games considering he has missed so many in the past two seasons. The college schedule is on the light side, which is what allowed for him to work out more and bulk up.

I'd like to see that happen, but they don't really make room for their rookies. Shero will sign a veteran, and Bylsma will play that veteran over Bennett.
Also true. Well now that I didn't get what I wanted, I'm pumped to see him play. He needs some work on his skating, but I think the stick skills are there. The dude's one timer is something fierce, so I'm super pumped for that.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
He played all of 10 games. Yes, he put up good numbers, but that's also a lousy sample size. And he'll be trying to move up a level (or two, if he goes straight to the AHL) while coming off an injury.

A week ago, everyone on the prospect thread was sure he'd be going back to DU, and even more sure that he should be going back to DU. Everyone was right then. Flip-flopping because someone made the wrong move is not a good way to be right.
I don't post in the prospect thread much, and I certainly didn't post anything about being in favor him going back to DU, so you can't put me in that group.

His overall college numbers are pretty good. 38 points in 48 games. I don't see any glaring reason why he can't take the next step professionally at this point.

Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:34 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
It's not actually 2.5 million though, I'm sure he really believes in himself but he must know that there is probably a 1 % chance of him playing with the Big Pens next year.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:36 PM
JTG

This does burn a year of his contract though, right?

Old
04-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
This does burn a year of his contract though, right?
Not unless he plays a game in WBS this year.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:39 PM
TheEdge27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Yeah, but just knowing that its there would drive me nuts.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

Sweet. Can't wait to watch em next year with the baby Pens.

Stad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:41 PM
TheEdge27

Quote:
Also true. Well now that I didn't get what I wanted, I'm pumped to see him play. He needs some work on his skating, but I think the stick skills are there. The dude's one timer is something fierce, so I'm super pumped for that.
Could you imagine our power play with a poor mans stamkos, or even 1/10th of what mario used to do?

Old
04-13-2012, 02:43 PM
ShatteredGlass
Formerly Andy412

Quote:
No one ever said that...
That's the tone some are exhibiting.

ShatteredGlass is offline   Reply With Quote