Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Finnish Top Prospects ( In Future)

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Needles

vCash: 500
Has anyone heard of Waltteri Ruuskanen? This kid is just 14 years old (-97) but is currently training with KalPa's A-juniors!

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=150726
http://www.kalpa-hockey.fi/2011-2012...lmennustiimiin

191cm/80kg

Old
04-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
Has anyone heard of Waltteri Ruuskanen? This kid is just 14 years old (-97) but is currently training with KalPa's A-juniors!
Ruuskanen is a promising defensive prospect, but I believe that playing Jr.B and Jr.C hockey is the right level for him next season. There are some videos available of him in the internet, so you can judge him yourself if interested.

Pohjola camp final: 1st period, 2nd period (white shirt #3, black helmet, plays with his right hand down. You can't really miss him.)

(C2) KalPa-HIFK: 1st period, 2nd period, 3rd period (black shirt #25)

(C2) KalPa-Jokerit: 1st period, 2nd period, 3rd period (black shirt #25)

Old
04-18-2012, 08:46 AM
bebl

Mikko Lehtonen has been surprisingly good in u18 IMO. If i remember correct someone said here that skating is his weakness? No way.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:41 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebl View Post
Mikko Lehtonen has been surprisingly good in u18 IMO. If i remember correct someone said here that skating is his weakness? No way.
Agreed. He seems to be very comfortable with the puck and his skating looks very agile. I've been impressed with how he handles the puck in traffic and how he navigates with his feet. You can see he's playing with a lot of confidence and IMO in a few occasions that has led him to some bad decisions in the own zone but generally he's been very solid.

I've been thus far quite confident with him being drafted, and if he continues like this there should be very little doubt.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Why must there always be someone?

After the Hlinka Memorial Tournament the U18 team’s head coach Jussi Tapola made the following comment:

Quote:
"- Joukkuepelaaminen oli hyvällä tasolla, mutta jaksamisen ja maalinteon kanssa riittää jatkossa töitä. Olemme vielä fysiikassa muita maita jäljessä ja puolustajien on tehtävä töitä luistelun kanssa. Emme missään nimessä ole kaukana maailman kärjestä, ja ero on kurottavissa kiinni ennen huhtikuun MM-kisoja Tshekissä."
So it wasn’t just my opinion that many of the defensemen on that team needed to work on their skating (and endurance/physique which naturally affects skating). Lindell, Vainonen and Pokka were the ones with the biggest problems, but Lehtonen had some work to do as well.

Lehtonen probably skates better than 90% of players his age, but I was comparing him to seasoned SM-liiga players and top notch NHL prospects when making the comment. I was trying to illuminate that skating is an area of the game that requires improvement before he’s comfortable playing in SM-liiga. Also, slightly smallish defensemen like him usually need to really shine in one or more areas of the game before they are considered quality NHL prospects, skating being one of the easiest to perceive. Unlike many NHL defensemen of his size, Lehtonen isn’t an elite skater with elite speed, and that’s why I see it as a weakness.

You have obviously been following the WU18C’s, so I’d like to ask you (and the others as well) how would you rank Pokka, Vainonen, Lindell, Tikkinen and Lehtonen for this upcoming draft? Personally I find this situation very interesting, there's clearly some room for speculation.

Central Scouting had them in the following order on their final Euro ranking:

#7 - Ville Pokka
#11 - Mikko Vainonen
#12 - Esa Lindell
#17 - Niklas Tikkinen
#30 - Mikko Lehtonen

While Craig Button had Vainonen, Lindell and Pokka in the following order on his new top-60:

#34 - Mikko Vainonen
#43 - Esa Lindell
#45 - Ville Pokka

ISS had Pokka at #41 and Tikkinen at #43 on their new top-50, plus Lindell was there last month but dropped out for a reason or another.

Old
04-18-2012, 02:23 PM
edd1e

What does Tormentor think about our D? Has Pokka, Lindell and Vainonen got any better at skating?

I think they will be drafted in following order:
Pokka
Vainonen
Lindell
Lehtonen
Tikkinen

I think this tourny wont make much difference in the upcoming draft.

Old
04-19-2012, 04:53 AM
bebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Agreed. He seems to be very comfortable with the puck and his skating looks very agile.
This is what i meant. He is still missing a lot of leg strength. I bet he is gonna be really fast.

Old
04-19-2012, 05:09 AM
bebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Of course it was you who else makes the scouting report that I still remember
Quote:
You have obviously been following the WU18C’s, so I’d like to ask you (and the others as well) how would you rank Pokka, Vainonen, Lindell, Tikkinen and Lehtonen for this upcoming draft?
IMO:
Pokka 2-3 Round
Vainonen 4-6 Round
Tikkinen 4-7 Round
Lehtonen 5-7 Round
Lindell 6-7 Round

Old
04-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Eyelanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post

You have obviously been following the WU18C’s, so I’d like to ask you (and the others as well) how would you rank Pokka, Vainonen, Lindell, Tikkinen and Lehtonen for this upcoming draft? Personally I find this situation very interesting, there's clearly some room for speculation.
How I would rank them:

1. Pokka
2. Vainonen
3. Lindell
4. Tikkinen
5. Lehtonen

Having seen Vainonen much throughout the season, he could be drafted fairly early. Yes, he will need to improve his skating, but he rarely makes a mistake on the ice, plays the body well, and has a good hard shot. In the U18 Tournament he has been putting up some points, which is nice to see. Definitely one of the most intriguing Finnish prospects for this year´s draft. Also, if I know correctly, Tikkinen had not played much defense before this season, so if he can learn the position more, he could become a very good defenseman. He already has a lot of offensive skill.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:

IMO:
Pokka 2-3 Round
Vainonen 4-6 Round
Tikkinen 4-7 Round
Lehtonen 5-7 Round
Lindell 6-7 Round
Haven't you watch scout reports? I think i saw one where Lindell was 32nd or smth. Pokka and Lindell will go 2nd round. Tikkinen 3rd and no idea about rest.

Old
04-19-2012, 02:14 PM
bebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Haven't you watch scout reports? I think i saw one where Lindell was 32nd or smth. Pokka and Lindell will go 2nd round. Tikkinen 3rd and no idea about rest.
Tormetor asked "how would you rank?"

Old
04-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Tormetor asked "how would you rank?"
Yes, he did.

Old
04-20-2012, 09:22 AM
YARR123

Possible late round draft picks in the upcoming draft

What do you guys think the chances are that the following guys get drafted?

Samu Markkula
Henrik Haapala
Rasmus Kulmala

I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by these three "midgets". Haapala and Kulmala are producing very efficiently and Markkula is a speedfreak with a great wrister.

IMO Markkula is the most likely because of his speed he can be used as an energy forward. He also seems to play a gritty and straightforward game.

Old
04-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
Has Pokka, Lindell and Vainonen got any better at skating?
I think so, their skating looks slightly more efficient and stronger than at the beginning of the season. I guess this is quite natural development for players their age.

Quote:
I think they will be drafted in following order:
Pokka
Vainonen
Lindell
Lehtonen
Tikkinen
I think that Tikkinen has better passing skills, more offensive versatility, awareness and creativity than Lehtonen and that’s quite important when thinking about their upside as possible NHL players. For me Tikkinen is above Lehtonen, although Lehtonen might at the moment be the better defenseman defensively (and who knows might also end up having the better SM-liiga career).

Vainonen and Lindell is another interesting pair to compare to each other. Vainonen is a strong, reliable defenseman, tougher to beat one-on-one and apparently has some leadership qualities. The downside is that his skating still looks heavy and that his NHL upside is starting to look closer to a 3rd pairing defenseman than anything else. If Vainonen is a wolf, Lindell is more like a sheep, his grip on defensive game is not as tight and he’s not that physical or aggressive. On the other hand Lindell’s game with the puck is slightly better, and although we didn’t see him joining the rush that much in this tournament (he was outshone by his defensive pair Ristolainen) it was a bigger part of his game in Jr.A. It’s possible that a few or more teams see Lindell as the better deal, the reward down the road could potentially be greater if his coordination, athleticism, skating and defensive awareness improve.

Quote:
I think this tourny wont make much difference in the upcoming draft.
There’s not going to be big surprises for a scout that has seen a particular top prospect 10 to 20 times this season. It’s probably more about seeing the guys in a different setting and possibly in a different role. Naturally it’s also a good place to see a lot of prospects at a same time and compare them to each other, this is one of the few chances to see NA and Euro prospects playing against each other.

For us ordinary longjohns it might be a different thing and that’s why we still see comments about someone supposedly rocketing up the charts. Even Craig Button or the ISS are making comments like that and I think it goes to show that NHL teams have superior recourses to scout these kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorhockeyfollower View Post
Also, if I know correctly, Tikkinen had not played much defense before this season, so if he can learn the position more, he could become a very good defenseman. He already has a lot of offensive skill.
I think this is Tikkinen's 2nd season as a defenseman (1st full season), he was a centre forward before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
What do you guys think the chances are that the following guys get drafted?

Samu Markkula
Henrik Haapala
Rasmus Kulmala

I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by these three "midgets". Haapala and Kulmala are producing very efficiently and Markkula is a speedfreak with a great wrister.

IMO Markkula is the most likely because of his speed he can be used as an energy forward. He also seems to play a gritty and straightforward game.
Every one of those players filled their role, no major complaints. The disappointments of that team were else where. BUT, 5’8’’ or 5’9’’ tall players rarely get drafted. Sami Vatanen was around 5’9’’ at the time of the draft and Tony Salmelainen is the other Finn that I can think of right now. It’s simply quite rare. Both Vatanen and Salmelainen had exceptional skating ability/speed, and I’m not seeing that with Kulmala, Markkula and Haapala.

Kulmala is a smart player with good work ethic, decent quickness and pretty good puck skills, but as an overall package that’s probably not going to cut it. SM-liiga should offer enough challenge for his needs. Haapala looks pretty much the same, perhaps just not quite as balanced as a player as Kulmala is at the moment.

Markkula would interest me a bit more if he’d for example play more like a wrecking ball à la Jordin Tootoo, but as of now none of his attributes really justify being selected IMO. He has some fairly nice qualities, but will any of them be an asset (=a difference maker) at NHL level? I don’t think so.

NHL teams need to see enough NHL upside in a player before they bother drafting one. Using a draft pick is an investment for the team, they need to see a potential return for it. Even someone like Mikko Lehtonen who has played in SM-liiga as a 17 year old might go undrafted if there’s not a team that sees enough NHL upside in him. I’m not saying that it’ll happen, but personally I’m not quite sure whether he gets drafted or not. Just by looking at last year we can see that Jeremy Boyce-Rotevall went undrafted despite playing 33 games in the Elitserien and performing quite well internationally. I’m guessing that they didn’t see enough offensive upside in him to be top-6 and not enough other qualities to qualify as a grinder or a two-way player.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Fin9*

Tormentor, have you ever seen Julius Nättinen play? I hear hes already 6`1 180 lbs two way forward, with alot of potential and skill. What do you think is hes strenghts and weaknesses as a player, and where do you see him at the 2015 draft and whats hes NHL upside?

Old
04-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Nobody good from Nurmes

Oh well... At least the other parts of my family are from Espoo, Helsinki, and Kokkola.

Old
04-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin9 View Post
Tormentor, have you ever seen Julius Nättinen play? I hear hes already 6`1 180 lbs two way forward, with alot of potential and skill. What do you think is hes strenghts and weaknesses as a player, and where do you see him at the 2015 draft and whats hes NHL upside?
I’ve seen him play a few times during the last two seasons. He might already be 6’2’’ tall, but this is just speculation. Nevertheless size is the thing that sets him apart from the other early top performers in this age group; Aleksi Saarela, Arttu Ruotsalainen, Jonne Tammela, Sebastian Aho and Petrus Palmu. Nättinen has skill and potential, but I don’t think he’s the most skilled or flashiest player among the 97-born Finns, I’d say that the smaller forwards mentioned above have a better chance winning a skill competition.

Nättinen plays an all-around game, but there are plenty of things that he can improve. His skating could be a bit stronger, his shot isn’t as good as Saarela’s and he’s not as much in midst of the action like Ruotsalainen for example is. Slightly sharper puck handling would be beneficial as well. Like with all 15 year old players, there's plenty of room for improvement.

Nättinen is the most advanced big Finnish forward in 2015 draft class and therefore probably among top-5 Finns for that year, at the moment. At the same time we have to remember that the 2015 draft is 3 years away and a lot can happen before that, few of the new national team candidates selected at Pohjola camp might even quit playing competitive hockey during that time. These 3 years prior the draft a crucial for development and those who work the hardest have a huge advantage. You sometimes hear stories about someone being better at 15 than for example Teemu Selänne or Olli Jokinen, but that they never made it big time. I guess that passion towards hockey is the biggest factor here, you have to absolutely love it, even when it’s not that fun anymore.

Based on Nättinen’s skill set at the moment, I’d guess that his likeliest upside is a 2nd/3rd line centre forward, whether that is in Mestis, SM-liiga or NHL, time will tell. It’s not easy to judge these kids who grow quickly, their motoric skills might still be recovering, thus affecting their game greatly. Next season should tell us more, he’s going to be playing with and against better players more regularly.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Tormentor

World Selects Invitational for 97-born will be played in Espoo next week (between 1st and 5th of May). It seems that many of the top Finns will be participating to this tournament. Schedule, rosters and stats can be found from here.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Rogie21

Besides Vainonen and Lindell, what other Finnish Ds are likely to be drafted? What is their upside?

Old
05-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie21 View Post
Besides Vainonen and Lindell, what other Finnish Ds are likely to be drafted? What is their upside?
Which draft are you talking about?

In the next two the top 2 d-men are Pokka (2012) and Ristolainen (2013). Both have top 4 potential.

Old
05-05-2012, 09:54 AM
SittingDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Which draft are you talking about?

In the next two the top 2 d-men are Pokka (2012) and Ristolainen (2013). Both have top 4 potential.
Don't forget Olli Määttä.

Old
05-06-2012, 01:21 PM
The Saw Is the Law

These Finns were invited to NHL Entry Draft combine:

Korpisalo, Joonas
Lindell, Esa
Määttä, Olli
Pokka, Ville
Teräväinen, Teuvo
Vainonen, Mikko

105 players were invited.

Old
05-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by SittingDuck View Post
Don't forget Olli Määttä.
Oh crap

He's not home grown

Old
05-08-2012, 07:53 AM
IFK

Quote:

IMO:
Pokka 2-3 Round
Vainonen 4-6 Round
Tikkinen 4-7 Round
Lehtonen 5-7 Round
Lindell 6-7 Round
IMO:

Teräväinen 1 Round 5th-12
Määttä 1 Round 7th-15
Pokka 2 Round early
Vainonen 2-3 Round
Lindell 2-3 Round
Tikkinen 3-6 Round
Lehtonen 5-7 Round

Also thanks Tormentor. Always nice to read your text and opinions.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:07 AM
Tormentor

Based on what I’ve seen so far, here’s my early top-10 for 2014 NHL Entry Draft;

1. W - Kasper Kapanen (KalPa) - A dynamic and skilled winger with a pretty good scoring touch. At this point he seems like the top Finnish prospect for this draft. Has improved his defensive work and all-around contribution to the game, but I think he’s only half way there at this point.

2. CE - Miikka Pitkänen (KalPa) - A smart, creative and skilled centre forward who resembles Markus Granlund quite a lot, for example their skating style is almost identical. Pitkänen isn’t very tall at the moment, so his growth is the biggest question mark.

3. D - Eetu Sopanen (Pelicans) - A big, rangy defenseman who’s strong defensively. Mostly good decisions and has some ability to move the puck. His skating, agility and lower body coordination requires a ton of work, improvement in these areas is essential.

4. W/CE - Waltteri Hopponen (Blues) - A versatile forward with a good frame, plays well both ways and is quite a good skater for his size. His offensive upside is somewhat limited.

5. GK - Kaapo Kähkönen (Blues) - A big goalie who has taken huge strides in his development. A year ago he wasn’t selected to Pohjola camp, but has since then won two gold medals as a starting goalie (Youth Olympic Games and Jr.C championship). Needs to learn to coordinate his moves a bit better and improve positioning.

6. W - Joel Kiviranta (Jokerit) - He’s what you call a modern national team player, keeps his feet moving, plays for the team and does a good job in all situations. Adequate skill level, some playmaking ability and hits the back of the net every now and then. The wow factor is missing a bit, which makes me slightly doubt his NA upside as a somewhat smaller forward.

7. D - Joni Tuulola (HPK) - A good sized all-around defenseman, was my favourite going to this season but that has changed now. I thought he had more to offer offensively, but I've started to doubt that. On the positive note his defensive game has improved and he has started to show more of a physical presence on the ice.

8. D - Alex Lintuniemi (Jokerit) - One of the better 95-born defenseman in Jr.B this season, but struggled to really stand out with the U17 national team. A bit of an empty shell at this point; has a big frame and some talent but needs to work hard on every aspect of the game. I’m not sure if his posture is the best possible, seems to lean forward a bit too much in game situations.

9. W – Roope Kuhakoski (HIFK) - A huge SOB, an absolute monster of a forward. Has potential as a lower line power forward and agitator. Needs to improve his endurance, so that he can play an energy game every shift. Not totally handless, you’ll see him doing some good moves once or twice a game.

10. CE - Manu Honkanen (TPS) - A centre forward with good offensive instincts. Isn’t the biggest or the fastest guy out there, and doesn’t have the flashiest puck handling skills or the best shot, but thinks the game on a high enough level. Slightly limited upside, but under the right conditions could develop into a decent player.

Honourable mention:
D – Julius Honka (JYP) - A small, lightweight defenseman with smooth skating ability, good puck skills and a shot. Has upside as a puck moving defenseman and a power play quarterback, provided that he still grows a few inches and beefs up.

Closed Thread