Notices

Suggestions for the Power Play?

Old
04-13-2012, 01:18 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

vCash: 500
Suggestions for the Power Play?

The Bruins had a chance to change the complexion of the game early on when they had multiple power play chances (one a 4 minute pp, albeit spread out over the 1st and 2nd periiod). Even though they won the cup last year with a mostly abysmal power play, I still think improvement on the unit will go along way towards their chances of repeating. Here are some things I would like to see done differently, wondering what you all think as well:

1A: The Personnel

I would like to see the personnel for the first power play unit to be the following:

Left Point: Seguin (more on that in a second)

Right Point: Chara-Still like his shot more than any other D man on the team, has some decent insticts as far as when to find an open passing lane and attack the net

Left Boards: Bergeron-Great play maker, terrific at protecting the puck, creating space and passing lanes

RIght Boards/net front/corner: Marchand-Think he is one of the more skilled guys on the team and would like to see him get more time on the power play in general

Net front/corner: Lucic- Best on the team at creating a screen in front, quick release on shot and hard to move out of the way

1B: More ice time for #1 Unit

I would like to see the number one power play unit, preferably the one I just mentioned, get the majority of the 2 minutes. Right now, it is pretty much split evenly between the two units, and I think it is more difficult for one unit to get anything going on the man advantage. There are times where one unit is working the puck well, and then they are taken off in favor of the other. Put your best players on the ice and keep them there.

2: Seguin on the Point

I feel like putting Seguin at the point will best use his ability to see the ice, while still making him a threat to shoot the puck, walk down towards the goal, or find the seam and head to the net for a one timer. Right now, because the Bruins generally just work the puck between the man on the half boards and the point, teams are pinning him up against the wall...I think working at the point would give him a bit more space. He basically is able to do what Peverly was doing before he got hurt, just better.

3. Work the Puck Down Low

As mentioned above, their tendency to work the puck the majority of the time between the man on the half boards and the point, and take the majority of their shots from the point, allows teams to section off that part of the ice, not respecting the lower portions of the zone. I feel like whoever that guy is in front of the net needs to release and come down low if the puck is on his side, and they need to use that behind the net area more often. Make the PK unit defend more of the ice and create more space for your playmakers up top.

Thoughts...

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Chara needs to be on the pp, the Caps are letting the D shoot so either big Z plays the point on the pp or you put him in front of the net. Corvo and Seidenberg is not happening

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:24 PM
YzerGuy
Overpaid 4th Liner

Only suggestion I can make for the PP is ******* SCORE!!

YzerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:24 PM
nonoffensiveusername

Meh, we won a cup without a powerplay. I'm not gonna get bent out of shape over it.

nonoffensiveusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Topshelf88
HFBoards Sponsor

Try 5 forwards? Idk, I'd try anything. At some point they have to cash in on one of these chances.

Topshelf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:32 PM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
If they could create that opportunity for Seguin that Ovy got when Timmy stoned him we would be in business.

TMac21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Bone for your jar

Electroshock therapy.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:36 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac21 View Post
If they could create that opportunity for Seguin that Ovy got when Timmy stoned him we would be in business.
Yeah...well he seems to be open for that opportunity on the half boards, but we don't always get him the puck. I am starting to think that Seidenberg might be blind in his left eye, because I can't count the number of times Seguin is sitting there wide open, with his stick cocked, and Seids takes a contested shot on net.

Old
04-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Movement,urgency,and traffic in front of the net.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:45 PM
panny2727

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
Try 5 forwardsk? Idk, I' try anything. At some point they have to cash in on one of these chances.
then we let up shorty's, no thanks. get corvo off either group and all will be well. he should not be handling the puck on the pp. Useless!!!
Krejci, chara, seids, seguin, peverly, and rolston should be working it up high. marchy and bergy can go high or low but i like them down low. lucic in front, and put kelly in front. corvo doesn't have the ability to create and the pp gets completely fudged up

panny2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:48 PM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Work the puck high to low. The Caps are really trying to take away that point shot. Get the puck to the point, then have the D-man draw the defender and then get the puck back down low and work a quick play while the Caps are out numbered down low. The B's also need to be more aggressive from the halfboards. Start attacking the net.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Topshelf88
HFBoards Sponsor

I like Ference on the point on the PP...he's mobile enough and hits the net more often than not. I'd only try the 5 forwards if, and this is a big if, they were up by 2 or 3 goals. Even then it is still a little too risky.

Topshelf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Lam7825
Go Goldy Go!

Keep it moving. Nothing fancy either. It will happen. I'd feel a lot better with Corvo on the bench the whole time too. Roll Pevs, Rols, Bergy on the points with Z and Seids. The boys up front will get the job done. Just keep moving.

Hey, I seem to recall this same team won something called the Stanley Cup with a lousy power play. Must be something to that.

Lam7825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Spooner st

And the 3 winners are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone for your jar View Post
Electroshock therapy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Movement,urgency,and traffic in front of the net.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
Work the puck high to low. The Caps are really trying to take away that point shot. Get the puck to the point, then have the D-man draw the defender and then get the puck back down low and work a quick play while the Caps are out numbered down low. The B's also need to be more aggressive from the halfboards. Start attacking the net.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:17 PM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

one timers and traffic, one timers and traffic...

catching a pass in your feet, to your stick and wristing it on net does nothing. Lanes are clogged up.

Chara has a freakin 110 mph slapper.. Use it, and don't let up. Give people reasons to not want to get in front of that thing. You clip a few brave souls and they wont be so quick to get infront of you

Watch the movement on nashville's PP with weber. And chara has a bigger bomb than him

Last edited by CamFan81: 04-13-2012 at 02:28 PM.
CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Numbah4

David Krejci has to be on it. I'd go with the Bergeron, Marchand and Seguin line. With Bergy dropping to the point. Chara on the other point. Puck possession in the offensive zone is a big problem. Marchand is probably our best stick-handler. That's why I want him out there. Need more movement once we have the puck. Not just dump it in and blast away. That's archaic. Get Seidenberg and Peverly off of the first unit.

Numbah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:11 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
Those are both good points...it seems like they are constantly working for shots from the point, which are fine, but they should also be looking for various one timers, cross crease passes, back door with the D, etc...you're on the power play, you are supposed to work the PK for a terrific scoring chance. The forward attacking the net and shooting would also open up more space.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:18 PM
chizzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
The Bruins had a chance to change the complexion of the game early on when they had multiple power play chances (one a 4 minute pp, albeit spread out over the 1st and 2nd periiod). Even though they won the cup last year with a mostly abysmal power play, I still think improvement on the unit will go along way towards their chances of repeating. Here are some things I would like to see done differently, wondering what you all think as well:

1A: The Personnel

I would like to see the personnel for the first power play unit to be the following:

Left Point: Seguin (more on that in a second)

Right Point: Chara-Still like his shot more than any other D man on the team, has some decent insticts as far as when to find an open passing lane and attack the net

Left Boards: Bergeron-Great play maker, terrific at protecting the puck, creating space and passing lanes

RIght Boards/net front/corner: Marchand-Think he is one of the more skilled guys on the team and would like to see him get more time on the power play in general

Net front/corner: Lucic- Best on the team at creating a screen in front, quick release on shot and hard to move out of the way

1B: More ice time for #1 Unit

I would like to see the number one power play unit, preferably the one I just mentioned, get the majority of the 2 minutes. Right now, it is pretty much split evenly between the two units, and I think it is more difficult for one unit to get anything going on the man advantage. There are times where one unit is working the puck well, and then they are taken off in favor of the other. Put your best players on the ice and keep them there.

2: Seguin on the Point

I feel like putting Seguin at the point will best use his ability to see the ice, while still making him a threat to shoot the puck, walk down towards the goal, or find the seam and head to the net for a one timer. Right now, because the Bruins generally just work the puck between the man on the half boards and the point, teams are pinning him up against the wall...I think working at the point would give him a bit more space. He basically is able to do what Peverly was doing before he got hurt, just better.

3. Work the Puck Down Low

As mentioned above, their tendency to work the puck the majority of the time between the man on the half boards and the point, and take the majority of their shots from the point, allows teams to section off that part of the ice, not respecting the lower portions of the zone. I feel like whoever that guy is in front of the net needs to release and come down low if the puck is on his side, and they need to use that behind the net area more often. Make the PK unit defend more of the ice and create more space for your playmakers up top.

Thoughts...
how about 5 forwards cycling around the the whole area with no particular spot, that way the opposing team can't focus on one particular player.

chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:21 PM
LoneWolf54
Relocated.

Needs more Zach Parise.

LoneWolf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Kiss My Rask
Enforce Boston

Dear Claude, Here's a pro tip, PLAY YOUR BEST PLAYERS ON THE PP. THERES NO EXCUSE FOR SEGUIN AND CHARA NOT TO BE ON THE 4-3!

Signed,

a fan

04-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Causeway
Formerly Monti46

Send a message via AIM to Causeway Send a message via Skype™ to Causeway
The fact that Corvo was out there unleashing bomb after bomb into Holtby's chest logo while Chara was watching from the bench irked the hell out of me.

Let's start there...

Causeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Boston Bruno

Ignore power play unit structure - roll 4 lines. Give everyone a chance. 35 second shifts, chip it in deep, change it up. Screw man advantages. Pretend it is 5 on 5.

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Fopppa

As I see it, they're looking too hard for specific openings (be it a shot or pass) and as a result often hang on to the puck for too long once they find space. More quicker, longer passes in succession that force the pk:ers to move is what creates real openings.

Fopppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:30 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzler View Post
how about 5 forwards cycling around the the whole area with no particular spot, that way the opposing team can't focus on one particular player.
Hmmmmmmmmm.......well that would certainly be something different...

Old
04-13-2012, 03:33 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
1. Something involving a large needle and hypnosis.

2. We need to crash the net more. This passing back and forth at the point for the optimal shot isn't producing ***** !!!

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote