HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks win game 1!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2012, 02:35 PM
  #376
Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Registered User
 
Eid Ma Clack Shaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,459
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Excellent game, watched from my favorite pizza joint. Not too many thoughts to add.

Loved our 4th line. It was not a pretty game but doesn't matter. Just win.

Patty seems to always either start out hot in the playoffs or gets hot in the 2nd round. Hopefully the Sharks get that far. He was oddly invisible last night but this isn't anything new and I know we'll see him show up at some point.

Also I'd like to have Havlat's and Niemi's babies.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:38 PM
  #377
Naki
Registered User
 
Naki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
sharks beat blues

Don't click if you have a DVR'd Rugby match from New Zealand you have not watched.


Last edited by Naki: 04-13-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Naki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:40 PM
  #378
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,888
vCash: 500
im not a marleau hater by any stretch but.

he wasnt engaged offensively, and he gave up the puck cheaply too often for me.

on the same token, our whole top line really got shutdown. pavelski seemed the only player trying no matter what. thornton only had 1 shot.

couture/clowe had 3 shots and havlat had 4.

the only positive is that we had no - players. so whoever was on the ice for the goals was also on the ice for one of ours. stl had quite a few.

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:42 PM
  #379
Brent Burns
Ryane Cloews
 
Brent Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Coming in hot
Posts: 6,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naki View Post
Seriously, have that game downloaded and hadn't watched it yet. Thanks for ruining it. At least put spoiler alert or something. Not joking either

Brent Burns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:43 PM
  #380
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Burns View Post
Seriously, have that game downloaded and hadn't watched it yet. Thanks for ruining it. At least put spoiler alert or something. Not joking either
i hope you are, cuz you are posting in a thread called Sharks win game 1!

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:44 PM
  #381
Naki
Registered User
 
Naki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
i hope you are, cuz you are posting in a thread called Sharks win game 1!
Different sharks and blues though.

Naki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:45 PM
  #382
freddypuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
My three observations from an awesome game last night.

1. Couture looks like he's playing hurt.

2. Before the series is through, I fear that Jason Demers is going to cost us on defense. I hope his puck moving skills offset any damage he causes on the back end.

3. Someone at NHL.com has severe anti-Shark bias. The game recap they posted on that site referred to purported Shark penalties that weren't called on every single goal the Sharks scored. Hilarious bit of rubbish and so blatantly biased.
1) sounds like a Blues fan.

2) I think this coaching staff has played around enough with Demers ..bottom line he plays, mistakes will cost us ask Vlasic last night on the second goal so be positive

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:47 PM
  #383
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 8,721
vCash: 500
I'm not sure I buy the whole "If Marleau doesn't start to produce this series, we're toast" logic.

If the Blues are dead set that they won't let our top line beat them, and continue to let Havlat and the bottom 6 kill them, I'm perfectly fine with Marleau not being on the scoresheet. The only time I'm not okay with that is if the Blues decide they are going to focus on shutting down Havlat's line, and then Marleau/Thornton/Pavs would then need to tee off against the Blues middle or third pairing D.

Tony La Russa always said, "I'll never let Barry Bonds beat me." He always walked Bonds for Kent and Kent would make them pay in his heyday, but La Russa stuck to his position. I'm guessing Hitch is thinking the same thing: "We are not going to let Thornton and Marleau beat us."

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:52 PM
  #384
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I'm not sure I buy the whole "If Marleau doesn't start to produce this series, we're toast" logic.

If the Blues are dead set that they won't let our top line beat them, and continue to let Havlat and the bottom 6 kill them, I'm perfectly fine with Marleau not being on the scoresheet. The only time I'm not okay with that is if the Blues decide they are going to focus on shutting down Havlat's line, and then Marleau/Thornton/Pavs would then need to tee off against the Blues middle or third pairing D.

Tony La Russa always said, "I'll never let Barry Bonds beat me." He always walked Bonds for Kent and Kent would make them pay in his heyday, but La Russa stuck to his position. I'm guessing Hitch is thinking the same thing: "We are not going to let Thornton and Marleau beat us."
I agree, if they focus on Havlat next game (which they likely will) the top line will tear them up. That's the advantage of having the quantity of talent we have.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:58 PM
  #385
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I agree, if they focus on Havlat next game (which they likely will) the top line will tear them up. That's the advantage of having the quantity of talent we have.
we also have the abilty to slot marleau as 2C where he has done well.

one thing people have missed is that clowe had a two point game. the guy is defensively suspect but he was one of the few that could "create" in the offensive zone, and against these guys we will need that.

funny on the NHL site berglund is the goals/points leader in this series. maybe if players are tied they go in alphabetical order? guess that dont give extra credit for Game Winners.

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:01 PM
  #386
Naki
Registered User
 
Naki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
we also have the abilty to slot marleau as 2C where he has done well.

one thing people have missed is that clowe had a two point game. the guy is defensively suspect but he was one of the few that could "create" in the offensive zone, and against these guys we will need that.

funny on the NHL site berglund is the goals/points leader in this series. maybe if players are tied they go in alphabetical order? guess that dont give extra credit for Game Winners.
No points are awarded if you cheat by throwing a pick.

Naki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:12 PM
  #387
Splitbtw
Free Torres!
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
Lol about the Havlat interference on his 1st goal. If that was interference, so was Berglund throwing Vlasic to the ice before going to the front of the net for a goal.

Biased article. Whatevs.
I noticed this during the game with the commentary.

Havlat's first goal: he interfered which bought him time/space he would not have had otherwise

Berglund's tip in: strong hockey play

Havlat's OT winner: interference and cheating

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:13 PM
  #388
Brent Burns
Ryane Cloews
 
Brent Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Coming in hot
Posts: 6,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
i hope you are, cuz you are posting in a thread called Sharks win game 1!
Blues from Auckland, New Zealand... Sharks from Natal, South Africa. Rugby homie.

Brent Burns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:24 PM
  #389
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Burns View Post
Blues from Auckland, New Zealand... Sharks from Natal, South Africa. Rugby homie.
sorry to hear that man. what are the chances eh?

------------------------

i have a feeling im gonna be down about game 2 again. just too many blues fans expecting a W again. sigh. oh well

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:25 PM
  #390
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I noticed this during the game with the commentary.

Havlat's first goal: he interfered which bought him time/space he would not have had otherwise

Berglund's tip in: strong hockey play

Havlat's OT winner: interference and cheating
Whats funniest about all this is the Blues fans are not even whining about it for the most part. They understand those are good hockey plays you are going to see in the playoffs. I would go so far as to say it's the Sharks experience advantage showing up. The Sharks know what to change about their game to win the playoffs, they know playing a totally clean game just ends up with early golfing.

If the Blues don't figure that out quickly, Sharks are going to grind them to a series loss. It's not about the Sharks cheating, it's about the Blues not cheating.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:26 PM
  #391
Naki
Registered User
 
Naki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
sorry to hear that man. what are the chances eh?

------------------------

i have a feeling im gonna be down about game 2 again. just too many blues fans expecting a W again. sigh. oh well
Thats what I was thinking. If I knew anyone watched Rugby from there I would have made it more obvious what the link was about.

Naki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:27 PM
  #392
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
sorry to hear that man. what are the chances eh?

------------------------

i have a feeling im gonna be down about game 2 again. just too many blues fans expecting a W again. sigh. oh well
We just took home ice advantage away from them. We each have 3 games at home now. Whether they win tomorrow or not, if they win both home games, they've basically won the series (statistically)

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:31 PM
  #393
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 31,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
We just took home ice advantage away from them. We each have 3 games at home now. Whether they win tomorrow or not, if they win both home games, they've basically won the series (statistically)
I hope you're right, but they could win the next 4 and we would only have 2 games at home. Unlikely I know, but it could happen.

__________________

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:37 PM
  #394
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol
 
Ninja Hertl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Yay
Country: United States
Posts: 5,001
vCash: 500
I don't think Murray is being talked about enough. He probably made some bad plays but he was competing so hard out there. Throwing two Blues players after the whistle, destroying anything in sight. Just awesome.

Ninja Hertl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:41 PM
  #395
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,888
vCash: 500
WLWLWLW

that record, because we won first gets us to the next round. honestly our home games are the most important since we won game 1. as that would give us a home/away to win the series in 6 or 7 if we take both of those.

so it needs to look like WLWWLW. our home games wouldnt have been so important if we lose game 1.

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:47 PM
  #396
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 26,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
I don't think Murray is being talked about enough. He probably made some bad plays but he was competing so hard out there. Throwing two Blues players after the whistle, destroying anything in sight. Just awesome.
He was physical and in the game but he was exposed by quicker forwards.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:58 PM
  #397
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,766
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnderFunk View Post
I think it's safe to say that most people here are sick of Marleau and won't change their mind about him unless we win the Cup. Which is fair enough I guess, we haven't won a Cup since he was drafted and since then he has been the only constant.

But are there any other Marleau fans on here (that have the courage to say so knowing they will probably get ridiculed) that feel he played well last night?
He made one stupid defensive play, but he made up for it with a really great one at the end of the first. He shouldn't have been at fault for Thornton shoving the puck into his skates and causing an off-sides. He was pretty much a non-factor offensively, but so was the rest of his line. I noticed he threw a couple of hits on Pietrangelo.

He really does look injured. Reminds me of '09.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:58 PM
  #398
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,888
vCash: 500
from hitchcock:

"For whatever reason, our best period was the first overtime. That was our chance. We really played well. I thought they played a little better than we did in the third even though we got the two goals, but I thought we really played well in the first overtime. Obviously the second one didn't last very long."

contrast from what most are saying.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=627723

-----------------------

I just cant get over how happy I am, i hope the media keeps doubting us, overlooking us, et al. the players seem to thrive on it.

blues players/coach are saying all the right things though post game.

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:00 PM
  #399
Trojan35
Registered User
 
Trojan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
He was physical and in the game but he was exposed by quicker forwards.
At some point, you need a player in the lineup that will make the other team actually think about the possibility of being touched out there.

I don't care how slow Murray is, with the current lineup of skaters, he's critical to be dressed for each game. You could convince me otherwise if the Sharks had other physical players on the roster, but the Sharks don't. There is no scenario where I would bench a semi-healthy Murray for White or Vandermeer.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:10 PM
  #400
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 26,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
At some point, you need a player in the lineup that will make the other team actually think about the possibility of being touched out there.

I don't care how slow Murray is, with the current lineup of skaters, he's critical to be dressed for each game. You could convince me otherwise if the Sharks had other physical players on the roster, but the Sharks don't. There is no scenario where I would bench a semi-healthy Murray for White or Vandermeer.
I didn't say anything about a change. He's physical and slow. His positioning (which used to a strength) hasn't been very good. He hits and blocks shots which is great but I think he'd be more effective with lesser minutes.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.