HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Doug Wilson...

Old
08-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

vCash: 500
Doug Wilson...

A HOFer? I doubt it, he's probably in the category of Hall of the Very Good. But the Sharks have been campaigning on his behalf this entire year.

I wouldn't vote for him, but what do you think are his chances?

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Falloooooon

I gotta say that I have never examined his entire career very closely. Still haven't really. But 39 goals in 81-82?!?! Did he play D that year? Good lord.

Nice player, not a HOFer. Maybe as an executive someday.

Falloooooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:39 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Not a chance. No offense to Doug, but nobody thinks of him as a defining player of his era. He won the Norris, but so did a few other guys who aren't in the hall either.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Bluesfan1981

I doubt he'll get in, but I wouldn't mind if he did, he's more deserving than some guys who are in. 1st All Star team once, 2nd All Star team twice, a Norris, and 7 all star games. Very good defensively, and one of the greatest offensive defensemen ever. I guess he's overlooked and underrated because he was never on a cup winning team.

Bluesfan1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 01:41 AM
God Bless Canada

Wilson played with a bad shoulder for years. When he finally went under the knife in 1987-88, he missed two-thirds of that season and part of the next. But his performance in 1989-90 was unforgettable: a Norris Trophy finalist and a second-team all-star. The refrain around the league was simple: when he could actually stay healthy, this is what he was capable of.

Unfortunately, it was the last time we saw him healthy. He averaged under 45 games per season over his final three years.

To a certain extent, his career somewhat parallels fellow 1980s offensive defenceman Paul Reinhart (although Wilson was a much better player): a highly skilled offensive rearguard who had some outstanding seasons, but his legacy was left incomplete due to injuries.

An HHOF defenceman? No. But he's definitely in the cut below. Among eligible defencemen not in the HHOF, only Mark Howe, JC Tremblay and Carl Brewer were better.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
A HOFer? I doubt it, he's probably in the category of Hall of the Very Good. But the Sharks have been campaigning on his behalf this entire year.

Doug Wilson doesn't get enough resepct. He is #132 on my greatest non-goalies list.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Big Phil

He did win the Norris, but Randy Carlyle won it as well. Needless to say Wilson had some better seasons than Carlyle so he'd get in before Carlyle. That said Mark Howe may have been better. And he isnt in.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Great player. But there are too many better players in line ahead of him. If San Jose has playoff sucess he might get in for his cumlative contribution to the sport.

08-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Lord J T Shark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post

The moment they put Cam Neely in the hall they lowered the standards to get in

08-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
The moment they put Cam Neely in the hall they lowered the standards to get in
I disagree. I'd much rather have Cam Neely in the Hall of Fame who was dominant for a short period of time (and career was cut short by injury) than guys who were very good (without being exceptional) for an extended period of time (Joe Mullen for example).

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Hawker14

how can it be said that letting neely into the hhof lowered standards ? he was a dominant player in his era.

now clark gilles, he lowered the bar for admission !

i'd have no problem with doug wilson in the hall of fame. if larry murphy gets in, so does wilson in my book.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:37 PM
WingsFan95

He actually needs to be in.

What takes his case from arguable to definite is what he's done after his playing career.

Put him in.

Larry Murphy is a lesser Hall of Fame candidate, but we all know the 4 Cups make a big difference.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Al Bundy*

Should the Blackhawks retire his number?

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:49 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

I think he is often forgotten as one of the better offensive defense men in history. But when you come from an era of Coffey, Bourque, Housley, MacInnis, Carlyle, Chelios, etc...its understandable. When I look at some past HOF inductees such as Steve Shutt and Clark Gillies, I think Wilson has a shot. Shutt and Gillies were both very good, but for short periods of time. But they also played on dynasties. Wilson was very good for a longer period of time, but no cups and one Norris. I think it would be unfair to view him as not hall-worthy when Shutt and Gillies got in purely on team accomplishments.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Leidi J

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsFan95 View Post

What takes his case from arguable to definite is what he's done after his playing career.

Put him in.

Larry Murphy is a lesser Hall of Fame candidate, but we all know the 4 Cups make a big difference.
This. If you look at his entire body of work in the sport of hockey he definitely deserves to be in. As a player alone you can argue he's not deserving, but take that career on top of what he has done for the San Jose as a player/captain/executive/etc. franchise and his place in their history...

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:45 PM
YippieKaey

Interesting comparison to Cam Neely, they seem to have pretty similar stats and injury history. And since he helped the Sharks in so many ways and has great playoff stats for a d-man i think he should get in

YippieKaey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsFan95 View Post

Put him in.

People tend to forget how good Murphy were before the dpe. During Wilsons career he was .86 PPG and Murphy were .82. In fact, during Murphys entire career only two defensemen were better offensively (overall), Coffey and Bourque. The problem for murphy was that he always had a generational talent ahead of him (Bourque/Coffey/Chelios).

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 11:25 AM
tony d
Whatareyousmiling at

I think he'll eventually get in. It will probably be in a weak class, but I still think he gets in the Hall of Fame.

04-13-2012, 12:48 PM
popo

Does anyone have any insight on why Chicago, a contender, would trade him for a draft pick to San Jose? I assume it was simply because of his health (didn't play a full season in 90/91).

popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:38 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo View Post
Does anyone have any insight on why Chicago, a contender, would trade him for a draft pick to San Jose? I assume it was simply because of his health (didn't play a full season in 90/91).

I can't recall exactly, but I assume that it may have been because of Mike Keenan. He typically didn't like offensive players with little else to offer even if they were good for 100 pts - ie. Brett Hull, Gretzky.
However, this trade was at the end of Wilson's carrier so maybe he was a liability?

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote