HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why does Mike Keenan have anything to do with this organization?

Old
04-13-2012, 12:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The way he left was absolutely terrible. However, for me at least, after 18 years, the good memories of that season far outweigh the bad ones.

He was a good coach and knows the game, even if he's awkward on camera. His best insights, though, come when he's talking about Tortorella. They don't have similar personalities overall, but their coaching personas are very close.
He had everything to do with the way he left.

04-13-2012, 12:50 PM
blue2noise

Anyone who read the excellent book 'Losing The Edge' knows that the Keenan exit was just as much Neil Smith's fault as it was Keenan's.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He had everything to do with the way he left.
? I didn't say he didn't. I just said that it was terrible and that it's long enough ago that I don't really care that much anymore.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
SherWood Lumber 76

Never liked him, almost imploded the whole 94 experience for his own greed, forgive him maybe, but never forget what a dbag move he made at our most critical time.

SBOB, it comes down to 'who else in Ranger history is available?' Especially coaches, so many brutal ones that no one would care to watch.

SherWood Lumber 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherWood Lumber 76 View Post
Never liked him, almost imploded the whole 94 experience for his own greed, forgive him maybe, but never forget what a dbag move he made at our most critical time.

SBOB, it comes down to 'who else in Ranger history is available?' Especially coaches, so many brutal ones that no one would care to watch.
Well I don't think it HAS to be someone from Rangers history. And it certainly doesn't HAVE to be a former coach.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
? I didn't say he didn't. I just said that it was terrible and that it's long enough ago that I don't really care that much anymore.
Fair enough.

As much as I hate constantly being bombarbded by 1994 every summer, I don't want to have Keenan trotted out when it was clear that once he wasn't going to get Smith fired, he was looking for his next opportunity elsewhere.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:08 PM
eco's bones

The way he left was ginned up by himself and his arch-nemisis Neil Smith to look like the Rangers had breached his contract. Sleazy on both their parts. I have more affection for Neil--like most others here but the truth is the truth.

What worked for that year though--worked. It was a magical season. There were loads of Rangers fans who had grown up--lived rather full lives and died between 1940 and 1994--not ever seeing their team win a cup. It is my best hockey memory--better than the 1980 USA Olympic gold medal. I feel fortunate for that event in my life. I'd like to see it happen again though because one just isn't enough.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:20 PM
ShutThePuckUp
Custom User Title

As a kid growing up in Europe during the 90's all the NHL action I got was a monthly magazine that always portrayed Kennan as a psycho who hated European players. But once I saw him in an interview he came across as a very nice guy. I don't see anything wrong in celebrating the past, then again, I don't get to see pre or post game shows on GameCenter.

ShutThePuckUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherWood Lumber 76 View Post
Do we really need more alumni?

Maloney does a good job, Duguay is decent, Leetch is passable. We don't need to hire the entire alumni corps. We have two regulars who do a decent job, and Leetch does his thing every once in a while.

We need more guys like Pidto and Hradek. I know EJ doesn't do a ton for MSG, but I do like that we picked him up even if its only every now and then.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

The fact that he picked the Pens bothers me. If you're gonna hang out with us you're not gonna be picking our rivals to win Cups.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Also, what exactly did he do in '94 that people are mad about? I mean I was almost 3, I remember winning the Cup but I wouldn't remember or understand any kind of controversy.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan2 View Post
It will last a lifetime. If those of you that want to 'let go of '94 a bit' had lived through it, along with the failure and heartbreak experienced by true fans for decades, you would get it.
My reason for letting go of '94 a bit is this: it seems like (before this season of course) this organization was just content with 7 years of no playoffs and 6 straight years of not making it past the first/second round of the playoffs, and then in the off-season they would blast you with highlights from '94.

It was almost as if they were saying "yeah we have been average to below average for almost two decades, BUT AT LEAST WE HAVE '94!" Like the fans would just forget this team hasn't done **** in 17 years when we watch game 7.

That is just my impression. I have the utmost respect for the history of this team.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:42 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Well, just like the Rangers bring Leetch in. He's been getting more comfortable recently, but anyone who says that at the beginning he did well as an analyst is kidding themselves.
Leech actually analyzes the games. If you take the time to listen to what he's saying you'll learn a lot.

I have a lot of time for Keenan. He is a coach's coach. A guy who has coached from high school to the NHL. He gets hockey - he's well worth listening to.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:05 PM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
never cared for Keenan. never thought he was a great coach, never liked him on TV...he basically jumped ship the first chance he got. screw him.
I agree with this. And now he's picking the Pets to win the cup? Eff him.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Don't worry guys, Keenan is probably negotiating a broadcasting contract with another team as we speak!

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:28 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
Don't worry guys, Keenan is probably negotiating a broadcasting contract with another team as we speak!
He already does games for several other broadcasters. See him on center ice a lot.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I don't get it. Yes he won the Cup. I get that. But the divisiveness and behind the scenes power grab he attempted during that Cup run almost ruined the season.

He's on Si.com picking the Pens to win the Cup.

This guy does not deserve to have anything to do with the Rangers.
I ask myself this everytime he comes on the screen. The guy is a rat, pure and simple. He acted like a rat throughout the entire '94 run, and he even looks like one. He shouldnt be some beloved figure from that team. In fact, that team may have even won in spite of him.

Whats worse is that hes absolutely horrendous on television, so hes not around for that talent. Hes around because MSG think this fanbase will love and respect all things 1994. And while thats true to some degree, its not really the case with Mike Keenan.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Rangers fans will always have a soft spot for 1994.
Guys like Matteau, Larmer, Noonan, Lidster, MacTavish, Lowe and etc. will never be forgotten either...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:00 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
I don't get it. Yes he won the Cup. I get that. But the divisiveness and behind the scenes power grab he attempted during that Cup run almost ruined the season.

He's on Si.com picking the Pens to win the Cup.

This guy does not deserve to have anything to do with the Rangers.

It's odd that a man who barely spent 12 months at the helm, and has burned bridges his entire career with multiple organizations is working in vicinity of the Rangers.

Keenan is ice cold, but he has lightened up a bit since he left New York. He stopped being "Iron Mike" a long time ago. You can't discount the messy divorce and playing a role in what a jerk he was.

He was extremely pleasant towards the media in Boston. I was shocked that "Iron Mike" was more approachable than guys like Bob Hartley.

Still, I think Neil Smith should have been allowed back into the Organization from an analyst standpoint. I think he's great on the NHL network, and he's got 10 times the personality Keenan has.

I dont know why Neil was never given a real chance to start over again as a GM or assistant GM. The guy was a tremendous talent evaluator in Detroit, and was fine as a GM here up until June 16th, 1994.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Mad Mike.

You know what I love about this guy???? He totally F 'D up and....he admits it. Like all the time. Always gonna have a bit a soft spot in my heart for him.

Winning a Stanley Cup for the New York Rangers goes a long, long way fellas. Especially that Cup, with those players, with our front office.

I'm glad we don't dismiss important legacy people....like some other organizations. Loyalty is still important....even if it ain't cool.
Loyalty is important, that's why it stings for me to see Keenan being so closely associated with the New York Rangers. He deserves credit for 1994, but when I look at the guy, I see a guy who coached most of his career in Chicago and Philadelphia -- I do not see a Ranger. He won the Cup, and the Rangers would not have won it without him, but this is not Emile Francis, or for that matter, John Tortorella (assistant for a time, always had great things to say about the organisation, treated his hiring as a head coach like a homecoming).

Purely from a standpoint of having a Rangers figure associated with 1994, I'd even rather have Neil Smith up there giving his opinions -- he was with this team for a long time and helped them win the Cup. He was a big part of the disasters that followed, but the bulk of his career as a GM was as a Ranger.

I don't hate Mike Keenan, nor do I have any hard feelings against the guy. I certainly don't want to take anything away from his legacy. It's just having him so closely associated with the Rangers in 2012 is inventing a rose-tinted myth.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:51 PM
mug25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah this franchise needs another cup so they can let go of '94 a bit
I choked on my soda when I read this.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:29 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

He is pretty awful on air.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:46 PM
pld459666

Liked him as a coach....20 years ago.

After hearing him speak, it's surprising he got anyone to buy into his system...ever.

Not a fan of his back office politics, or the way he left the Org.

Wouldn't miss him if he never stepped in front of a camera again.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Victory*
We're Still In It

Lol, I picked the Penguins too. It's probably the safest pick. It would've worked both ways for him, don't pick Rangers and Rangers fans call you a traitor, pick the Rangers and the rest of the hockey world calls you a homer.

Victory* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:03 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

With the team he had, I bet most of us could have coached them to the Cup.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote