HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why does Mike Keenan have anything to do with this organization?

Old
04-13-2012, 04:20 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
With the team he had, I bet most of us could have coached them to the Cup.
Let's not get outrageous. He is the only coach in how long to win the Cup with the Rangers? And it is not like they did not have talented teams before him. Like it or not, Kennan is forever a part of NYR lore.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Dorado*

Pretty much a no brainer picking the Pens there Mike . Not that they can't lose but with their line up it's hard to not make them the favorites .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

What is it crap on Mike Keenan day???

One cup in 54 years. Pretty much everybody on that teams gets a gold star from me, including Glen Healy.

04-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I'm way more upset with Neil Smith for what he did to the roster/organization after the Cup than I am for the way Keenan left, and even Smith gets forgiveness from me because of the championship.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:26 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
What is it crap on Mike Keenan day???

One cup in 54 years. Pretty much everybody on that teams gets a gold star from me, including Glen Healy.

Never talked about, but Mike Keenan is most likely the reason the Devils could draft Zach Parise.

When Scott Stevens tried to re-join the St. Louis blues as a RFA, the Devils matched. However, years later, the story of tampering by the St. Louis Blues was leaked to the NHL in 1999.

Who leaked the story, years later to the NHL? The St. Louis Dispatch was able to narrow down the culprit to a high-level, former Blues executive, and one of the 5 individuals was Mike Keenan. Add his reputation and history around the league, and it's hard not to make him prime suspect #1.

As a part of the NHL tampering punishment, the St. Louis Blues had to pay $1.5 million, award a 1st rounder to NJD, and swap a 1st round selection w/ the Devils.

In 2003, the St. Louis Blues and the New Jersey Devils swapped 1st round picks, as the final part of the punishment. The Blues picked 30th (b/c the Devils had just won the Cup), and at #17, the New Jersey Devils selected: Zach Parise.

This is the same Mike Keenan who broke his contract in negiotating a deal w/ not 1, but 2 teams during the Cup run (St. Louis and Detroit), and who tried circumventing his contract AGAIN trying to get re-hired by the Rangers after Ron Low was fired (and nearly getting the Rangers in trouble for tampering).

The guy is a snake. And MSG should have nothing to do w/ him. The man is the exact opposite of the type of culture and character that the Rangers have tried to create.

Last edited by frozenrubber: 04-13-2012 at 05:42 PM.
frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
The fact that he picked the Pens bothers me. If you're gonna hang out with us you're not gonna be picking our rivals to win Cups.
He only picked the Bettguins because he didn't want to get fined by the league.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Esa 10

If my memory serves me right, Keenan is friendly with Sather. That's most likely why he has the TV gig.

Neil Smith must've made a lot of enemies around the NHL. No other explanation for him working in the ECHL and only getting 15 minutes on Long Island since his NYR firing. His post Cup work was terrible, but he did an excellent job prior to that. Former GM's with far less impressive resumes at least get consulting positions.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Never talked about, but Mike Keenan is most likely the reason the Devils could draft Zach Parise.

When Scott Stevens tried to re-join the St. Louis blues as a RFA, the Devils matched. However, years later, the story of tampering by the St. Louis Blues was leaked to the NHL in 1999.

The St. Louis Dispatch was able to narrow down the culprit to a high-level, former Blues executive, and one of the 5 individuals was Mike Keenan. Add his reputation and history around the league, and it's hard not to make him prime suspect #1. As part of the NHL tampering punishment, the St. Louis Blues had to pay $1.5 million, award a 1st rounder to NJD, and swap a 1st round selection w/ the Devils.

In 2003, the St. Louis Blues and the New Jersey Devils swapped 1st round picks, as the final part of the punishment. The Blues picked 30th (b/c the Devils had just won the Cup), and at #17, the New Jersey Devils selected: Zach Parise.

This is the same Mike Keenan who broke his contract in negiotating a deal w/ not one, but two teams during the Cup run (St. Louis and Detroit), and who tried circumventing his contract AGAIN trying to get re-hired by the Rangers after Ron Low was fired (and nearly getting the Rangers in trouble for tampering).

The guy is a snake. And MSG should have nothing to do w/ him.

It was a small town radio station CJRW in Summerside PEI Canada that broke the story of Keenan negotiating with Detroit . It has been awhile but I if I remember correctly... if they had of hired Keenan , then , the coach of Adirondack , the Wing's farm team at the time , was none other than Doug McLean who wanted that same job in Detroit and probably saw Keenan as the guy that was going to take it on him thus IMO it was him who leaked the story to his best friend who owned the radio station on PEI in McLean's home town of Summerside PEI .

By leaking the story the deal fell through for Keenan but McLean did not get the job either and I have always wished ill will on McLean ever since because it could have cost us a Cup by leaking that news during the Stanley Cup Finals !!!

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/3...RED-WINGS.html

Last edited by Leetch66: 04-13-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Added the CJRW reference .
Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:57 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

love the man, calls it how he sees it.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:47 PM
BwayBshirt

Well, it's not like Dolan & management under him have any connections to the whole Keenan/Smith saga surrounding 1994-95. I think Checketts was the last non-player guy Dolan knew who had any real insight on the situation.

It's just one of those "time healed this wound" things.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't get it. Yes he won the Cup. I get that. But the divisiveness and behind the scenes power grab he attempted during that Cup run almost ruined the season.

He's on Si.com picking the Pens to win the Cup.

This guy does not deserve to have anything to do with the Rangers.
Yep, I absolutely agree. While I personally have absolutely no idea why he's with the organization, I'm sure he was hired because Dolan figured he was a positive link to the Stanley Cup. The moment he comes on, I turn the channel.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Let's not get outrageous. He is the only coach in how long to win the Cup with the Rangers? And it is not like they did not have talented teams before him. Like it or not, Kennan is forever a part of NYR lore.
Sure he is, but he's also the rat who was negotiating with other teams to jump ship during the Stanley Cup run. He gets no love in my book.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
He is part of NYR lore. Leave him there. I don't think he should be celebrated.

04-14-2012, 09:46 AM
RangersInSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Also, what exactly did he do in '94 that people are mad about? I mean I was almost 3, I remember winning the Cup but I wouldn't remember or understand any kind of controversy.
You can make an argument that the team in 1994 won the Cup in spite of Kennan, not because of him. If I recall at the end of the season the only player he would speak to was Messier. Think about what a fractured locker room that must have been. He was also obsessive about "his guys." He wanted to trade Leetch for Chelios and Richter for Belfour. He later traded for Larmer (in fairness a great trade), dealt Gartner and Amonte in not so great trades. Since it worked out I wouldn't want it any other way but if the Rangers fell short of the Cup in 1994 the Gartner and Amonte trades would be remember as awful deals.

This is all apart from the fiasco that went on during the 1994 finals when he was linked with leaving the team and going to Detroit. Can you imagine if the Rangers this season were in the finals and rumors started swirling about Torts leaving the team when the year ended? It was an absurd distraction. He held a press conference and announced he intended to honor his 5 year contract and would not leave. Weeks after the season ended he proved to be a lair and left the team for St. Louis.

In terms of Kennan as an analyst I can appreciate what his opinion is. He's far more knowledgable then any of us. Still, he isn't a polished TV commentator and because of my personal dislike for him I'd prefer someone else.

RangersInSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:04 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Keenan wanted autonomy, a promotion, and hated the guy he worked for. While he went about it the wrong way, it was obvious Keenan came to the Rangers for a shot at the Cup and improve his resume. IIRC he also wanted to be in the midwest to be closer to his daughter.

I knew Keenan wasn't going to be Don Shula. He was one and gone regardless of the 94 outcome

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote