HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

He was a sk8ter boi, she said see ya later boy.

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2012, 03:00 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruschiki View Post
LOL. And they would be correct. We made a decision after we won the first playoff game that we rolled the lines and gave everyone equal playing time all season and that if it came to shortening the bench to get the win we would do so.

The championship game we were down 2-0 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd. We went from 14 skater to 7 skaters; left the same two D and center on the ice , and rotated wingers. We scored 1, the other coach called a timeout, we scored another 30 seconds later to tie it up. Then we scored the 3rd with 12.5 seconds left.

We also had to shorten the bench the previous game. After that game, I had a dad come up and ask why his kid wasn't on the ice much in the third, and I simply told him 'we shorted the bench'. That seemed to satisfy him. It was just as important for the kids that had to sit at times to be part of the experience of winning a championship, they were just as happy as everyone else.
Be glad it worked and you won. I speak from experience when I say the parents aren't quite as understanding when you lose.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:14 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Be glad it worked and you won. I speak from experience when I say the parents aren't quite as understanding when you lose.
The head coach handled it right. Shortening the bench in the third period is much more acceptable, in my opinion. Also a bit less grueling on the iron horses. Although, it's prudent to put the scrub line out for the odd shift or two if the opponent's weak line is out to spell the horses for a hot second. I know the counter argument would be to exploit it, but after a triple shift or so, who's gonna be more effective? Man, I love talking strategy

Old
04-13-2012, 03:28 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
The head coach handled it right. Shortening the bench in the third period is much more acceptable, in my opinion. Also a bit less grueling on the iron horses. Although, it's prudent to put the scrub line out for the odd shift or two if the opponent's weak line is out to spell the horses for a hot second. I know the counter argument would be to exploit it, but after a triple shift or so, who's gonna be more effective? Man, I love talking strategy

I had a very interesting exchange with a dad who was complaining about his daughter sitting much of the 3rd. She was a forward and I was running the forwards. He asserted we were playing favorites and letting our own daughters play the most. It was true that my oldest of two daughters on the team and the two other coaches daughters played a lot in the 3rd. But they were also some of our best players, my older daughter probably being the best of the bunch. But I also had another daughter on the team and she is a forward. I pointed out to the dad that my younger daughter was sitting right next to his daughter on the bench when we went with our better players in the 3rd. I could tell by the look on his face that he didn't realize that and had only seen my other daughter on the ice. He stop complaining at that point.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
I had a very interesting exchange with a dad who was complaining about his daughter sitting much of the 3rd. She was a forward and I was running the forwards. He asserted we were playing favorites and letting our own daughters play the most. It was true that my oldest of two daughters on the team and the two other coaches daughters played a lot in the 3rd. But they were also some of our best players, my older daughter probably being the best of the bunch. But I also had another daughter on the team and she is a forward. I pointed out to the dad that my other daughter was sitting right next to his daughter in the 3rd when we went with our better players. I could tell by the look on his face that he didn't realize that and had only seen my other daughter on the ice. He stop complaing at that point.
Nothing like destroying your youngest daughters confidence to prove a point.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:40 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Nothing like destroying your youngest daughters confidence to prove a point.

She wasn't upset by it. We had 12 forwards and 6 sat when we shortened the bench (something we didn't do that often). So she was hardly singled out and I made a point of explaining why the coaches were doing what they were doing to all of the girls that sat.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-13-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old
04-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
I do truly hate playing the waiting game :/
So for the inquiring minds:

We found out yesterday morning that my wife was getting a promotion and getting her own store. We had to wait until today to find out what store though as not all the people involved knew yet.

Perks to her running her own store:
7.5% raise
She'll work M-F so we'll have weekends off together (for the first time ever)
She won't have to close one to two times a week anymore which means she'll be home every night (this part my son really likes as he hated her not being home when he went to bed)

Only major downside I see is that we'll need to figure out where my son will go during the summer when he isn't in school since she won't have 2 weekdays off and work two nights where we would only need one day of coverage like summers past

Old
04-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:

She wasn't upset by it. We had 12 forwards and 6 sat when we shortened the bench (soemthing we didn't do that often). So she was hardly singled out and I made a point of explaining why the coaches were doing what they were doing to all of the girls that sat.
I was actually in the stands last year and experienced the other side of a coach who played favorites with his mediocre son. We NEVER shortened during regular season play: winning or losing, we rolled 3.33 lines. That's not to say the head coach didn't long shift/short shift from time to time.

Old
04-13-2012, 04:13 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I was actually in the stands last year and experienced the other side of a coach who played favorites with his mediocre son. We NEVER shortened during regular season play: winning or losing, we rolled 3.33 lines. That's not to say the head coach didn't long shift/short shift from time to time.
I took a break from coaching last year and it was a unique experience to see my daughters ice time impacted by how a different set of eyes viewed their talent. My 3 daughters are all 1 year apart. I was fortunate enough last year that my youngest was good enough to play with her older sisters on a 12u team last year (So they were 12,11 and 10 on a 12u team) What was hardest to deal with after games was my middle daughter getting far more ice time than her sisters. In some cases double the amount. Part of it was she was on defesne and part was she was just better. Then later in the season my youngest started to play more than my oldest did (they were both forwards). Needless to say this didn't sit well with my oldest and made for some interesting conversations on the ride home from games.

Old
04-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
I took a break from coaching last year and it was a unique experience to see my daughters ice time impacted by how a different set of eyes viewed their talent. My 3 daughters are all 1 year apart. I was fortunate enough last year that my youngest was good enough to play with her older sisters on a 12u team last year (So they were 12,11 and 10 on a 12u team) What was hardest to deal with after games was my middle daughter getting far more ice time than her sisters. In some cases double the amount. Part of it was she was on defesne and part was she was just better. Then later in the season my youngest started to play more than my oldest did (they were both forwards). Needless to say this didn't sit well with my oldest and made for some interesting conversations on the ride home from games.
The player we considered our #1D was a girl. Best skater and never gave up on a play.

Old
04-13-2012, 05:02 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
The player we considered our #1D was a girl. Best skater and never gave up on a play.
[myllz]a/s/l?[/myllz]

Old
04-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
[myllz]a/s/l?[/myllz]
I love inside jokes. I hope to be a part of one some day.

Old
04-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
If you were the most interesting man in the world.you could have inside jokes with yourself.

Old
04-13-2012, 07:09 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

My 2nd job continues to find ways to screw me over. If we didn't need the extra $70 a week I would've quit years ago. One day I'm going to climb up a stepladder and they can just jump up my butt.

Quote:
Thanks Michael.

Old
04-13-2012, 08:06 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
I hate it when coaches play favorites with their kid out there. Like living vicariously, hoping their son/daughter scores that GWG that they never will do cause they suck

On the other hand, shortening a bench is a strategic thing to do if no favorites are played, other than skill, of course. And while it seems weird to do for 9 and 10 year olds, it's good to introduce it as the game gets more competitive as they get older.

Old
04-13-2012, 08:21 PM
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Someday I'd like to get a 69' camaro
Now that's a stretch limo.

Old
04-13-2012, 08:23 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
The OT thread is one big inside joke.

Old
04-13-2012, 09:25 PM
aceface33

Enjoying a Dogfish Head 75 minute IPA. Good beer after a loooong week.

Old
04-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Kruschiki

****** has destroyed my life.

Old
04-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
The OT thread is one big inside joke.
YOU'RE a joke!

An absolute joke!

/too close to hockey in the OT?

Old
04-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Nice - we don't push Spring hockey - just go to sticks and pucks once a week during the Summer, then maybe 1 camp (1 week). Plus our town doesn't have a team, so my son would have to try-out for select or elite and go to a town nearby (more travel).
That'll be next year. He's buddy from up the street didn't make his age bracket for the local team, so he's playing for another township. Odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoalie View Post
Heh. That didn't take long.
Sitting in the hotel room, channel surfing back and forth from CBC to TSN to catch as much hockey as possible seems to inspire him. I think I have tomorrow to sign him up....

04-14-2012, 08:35 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
YOU'RE a joke!

An absolute joke!

/too close to hockey in the OT?
Quite relevant. I'll allow it!

Old
04-14-2012, 01:06 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Back to looking for IT jobs in the Ithaca area. If anyone knows anyone or has any kind of lead on anything, PLEASE let me know. I've got about 2 years exp doing tech work and have several months experience handling help desk calls for a fairly busy community college.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Afino
The Juice

You can be overwhelmed. You can be underwhelmed.

Why can't you just be whelmed?

Old
04-14-2012, 03:11 PM
AV18

Send a message via AIM to AV18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
You can be overwhelmed. You can be underwhelmed.

Why can't you just be whelmed?
Now I want to watch 10 Things I Hate About You.

Old
04-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Afino
The Juice

I had 3/1 on PK getting that first, and 5/1 on you.

Who's collecting?

Closed Thread