HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Budaj

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2012, 04:04 PM
  #1
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,695
vCash: 500
Peter Budaj

Budaj was amazing this year. I really liked the signing from day 1. Many didn't like the signing because of his numbers with the Avs, but the Avs had a poor D last year, and he was forced to be a number 1A/B goalie, also didn't help that he didn't have a full time goalie coach with the Avs until recently I believe.


Great signing, I definitely more confident with him in nets than I was with Auld, would have no issue with him getting more starts next year if Price needs a break.

I actually think he was amazing in every game he played, even the 5-1 loss to the Hawks early in the season, expect for 1 game vs the Islanders where puck handling cost us the game.

I've read he was a great team before too, but during the season, loved that he was always cheering Price and other players during the game.

Only question mark with him going into next year is, how often is he going to switch mask/pads

PS. FU Pierre McGuire, who went nuts about how bad Budaj the signing was on July 1st on the team 990.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:10 PM
  #2
ThaDevilGirl
Registered User
 
ThaDevilGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YFC/YUL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 10,338
vCash: 500
I wouldn't say he was amazing but he was decent to good. Certainly he plays better when he plays more often not once in 2 weeks.


Last edited by ThaDevilGirl: 04-13-2012 at 04:24 PM.
ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:13 PM
  #3
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I wouldn't say he was amazing but he was decent to good. Certainly he plays better when he plays more often note once in 2 weeks.
True, I don't think the word amazing is the best to use, but I original bumped "Budaj signing" thread, after reading some of the post, and how bad some ppl thought he would be, he had a pretty good year.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:15 PM
  #4
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,533
vCash: 500
Gauthier fan appreciation weekend?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:17 PM
  #5
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Gauthier fan appreciation weekend?
Should have kept Auld?

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:21 PM
  #6
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,966
vCash: 500
When your top goalie tends to play over 70 games a season, the backup becomes the most unimportant piece on your team. That said, Budaj was good in his very limited, very controlled role. In fact, his puck-handling is generally better than Price's.

Not surprisingly, he had his best games when playing more often at the end. Good sign. Good signing.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:22 PM
  #7
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,452
vCash: 500
I imagine the Habs will select a goaltender with one of their lower round picks in the upcoming drft as a possible future backup for Price. In the meantime Budaj could serve in that role for the next few years. He'll look even better than he has when nthe Habs firm up their D.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:51 PM
  #8
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
I think Budaj improved alot this year under Groulx and learning alot from Carey Price.. He is technically better and mentally more confident, he is the perfect backup for Price at this point IMO. Im very happy to have him under contract for another year..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:14 PM
  #9
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,769
vCash: 500
He's a good backup that can play around 20 games/season, nothing more.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:35 PM
  #10
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,814
vCash: 500
Price and Budaj probably combined for five or six masks this season. Awesome.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:47 PM
  #11
dre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
I think an important factor is injuries. If Price goes down next year, Budaj is not going to be a negative factor. He might not be as good as Price but he's better than the 'veteran backup' ie Auld, Turco, etc. I would be comfortable with him playing for a 10 game stretch while we whether the storm.

dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:59 PM
  #12
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,781
vCash: 500
By backup goalie for a workhorse standards
then yeah, Buaj was amazing. He isn't Price but I have faith in him.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:04 PM
  #13
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
He could be the Leafs' #1 goalie.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:06 PM
  #14
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
He could be the Leafs' #1 goalie.
Indeed..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:15 PM
  #15
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Price and Budaj probably combined for five or six masks this season. Awesome.
Probably more like 12.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:16 PM
  #16
groovejuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
When your top goalie tends to play over 70 games a season, the backup becomes the most unimportant piece on your team. That said, Budaj was good in his very limited, very controlled role. In fact, his puck-handling is generally better than Price's.

Not surprisingly, he had his best games when playing more often at the end. Good sign. Good signing.
I liked Budaj this season and think he will improve.

As far a pluck handling goes, Price is top 3 in the league IMO. Budaj has a ways to go to get to that level.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:30 PM
  #17
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,162
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
If Price didn't get hurt Budaj would have played 14-15 games. I just think that McIntyre-Sanford-Lawson are just as good for that role & would cost close to league minimum.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:50 PM
  #18
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 10,592
vCash: 500
I was really impressed by how well he played at the end of the season. He would obviously be a lot better if he played more, but it's not worth it to play him 25 games when Price is willing and able to play 65 games.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:58 PM
  #19
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
He could be the Leafs' #1 goalie.
Absolutely not. Gustavsson Reimer SCRIVENS is the best goalie in the league!!!1

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:46 PM
  #20
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,044
vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Absolutely not. Gustavsson Reimer SCRIVENS is the best goalie in the league!!!1
Yep

Future vezina trophy winner right there boys along with Future Norris trophy winner jake gardiner

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:04 PM
  #21
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,162
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Absolutely not. Gustavsson Reimer SCRIVENS is the best goalie in the league!!!1
When your down to your 3rd stringer, OUCH! I know a lot of people have some issues with goal-tending in this City. Seriously! Toronto & places like Philly remind us that at least we have a solid piece in place with Price. It's a really hard piece to find, Toronto could always try Emery? Everyone else has...

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:48 PM
  #22
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Budaj is a very solid backup and I am happy that he is under contract for next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Budaj was amazing this year. I really liked the signing from day 1. Many didn't like the signing because of his numbers with the Avs, but the Avs had a poor D last year, and he was forced to be a number 1A/B goalie, also didn't help that he didn't have a full time goalie coach with the Avs until recently I believe.


Great signing, I definitely more confident with him in nets than I was with Auld, would have no issue with him getting more starts next year if Price needs a break.

I actually think he was amazing in every game he played, even the 5-1 loss to the Hawks early in the season, expect for 1 game vs the Islanders where puck handling cost us the game.

I've read he was a great team before too, but during the season, loved that he was always cheering Price and other players during the game.

Only question mark with him going into next year is, how often is he going to switch mask/pads

PS. FU Pierre McGuire, who went nuts about how bad Budaj the signing was on July 1st on the team 990.

You wrote: "... Pierre McGuire, who went nuts about how bad Budaj the signing was on July 1st on the team 990."

He did? I would not be surprised: the guy has been self promoting himself since Gauthier (the guy who once fired him btw) was named GM. TV guy McGuire is not part of the solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
When your top goalie tends to play over 70 games a season, the backup becomes the most unimportant piece on your team. That said, Budaj was good in his very limited, very controlled role. In fact, his puck-handling is generally better than Price's.

Not surprisingly, he had his best games when playing more often at the end. Good sign. Good signing.
Based on the quantity of good NHL ready goaltenders around the world, no one should play over 70 games a season. Ref.: Lundqvist.

Budaj can play 20 games per season.


Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 04-13-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:02 PM
  #23
Garry Valk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,820
vCash: 500
Amazing: not a word you see when looking up Peter Budaj.

He was ok. Often mediocre. Meh.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:21 AM
  #24
keepcalmandbeninja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 500
Huge meh for me...Ben Bishop anyone?

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:33 AM
  #25
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think Budaj improved alot this year under Groulx and learning alot from Carey Price.. He is technically better and mentally more confident, he is the perfect backup for Price at this point IMO. Im very happy to have him under contract for another year..
Budaj was always tehnically sound, everyone on the Avs board was saying he has everything to be a goalie coach in the future, his downfall is his athleticism and that won't allow him to be a true starter in the NHL.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.