HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hemsky Article on NHL.com

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2003, 11:23 AM
PineJockey

vCash: 500
Hemsky Article on NHL.com

A nice article on Hemsky.

http://www.nhl.com/intheslot/read/sp...sky111803.html

Old
11-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Good Read.

I think we can all agree that A.Hemsky is playing way below expectations so far this season, the scary part is he still has 12 pts in 17 games, I don't see him playing much worse than he is right now, and he's still on pace for 60 pts.

Old
11-19-2003, 12:48 PM
WFHACommish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Good Read.

I think we can all agree that A.Hemsky is playing way below expectations so far this season, the scary part is he still has 12 pts in 17 games, I don't see him playing much worse than he is right now, and he's still on pace for 60 pts.
Mr. McGourty forgot one thing.....SHOOT DAM YOU SHOOT...!!!!

Old
11-19-2003, 04:30 PM
jadeddog

the thing with hemsky is that he needs to keep working this year and next year just as hard as he did this past year.... hes still essentially a boy, another 2-3 years of working out will give him the strength of a man and allow him to work the boards and maintain posession of the puck

hes been struggling pretty badly the past little while as well, but SOO many players do so in their 2nd year in the NHL, so i dont think we should be *too* concerned about it.... things will turn around for him im sure, but he will only continue to improve as long as he continues to work hard

what i find encouraging is that he is playing pretty badly but is still finding ways to contribute and is tied for 2nd on the team in scoring

Old
11-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Oiler_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
what i find encouraging is that he is playing pretty badly but is still finding ways to contribute and is tied for 2nd on the team in scoring
I don't think he has been playing all that badly, I just suspect the expectations of us fans might be starting to get to be a bit higher than they should be for a 20 year old

Pro-rated stats have him finishing with about 60 points, that was what a lot of people were prediciting. The Smyth line struggling while Smyth tries to figure out the center position probably has a bit to do with his plus/minus.

He's still been good for those 2 or 3 moves that make you ooh and aah just about every game, and it looks like he is working a bit more on the physical game on the defensive side of the puck.

On the other hand, he hasn't been playing as well as he was late last season, maybe he is just a slow starter

Old
11-19-2003, 06:06 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler_Fan
I don't think he has been playing all that badly, I just suspect the expectations of us fans might be starting to get to be a bit higher than they should be for a 20 year old
Exactly. He's still a young kid out there. No need to expect the world of him. I guessed around 50 some pts this year. He's certainly doing better than I expected. Every young player is going to struggle. Things like that are inevitable. We'll just see how he comes back and overcomes those hardships.

Old
11-19-2003, 06:26 PM
jadeddog

oh yeah, hes still doing better than i thought he would.... if he finishes with 60 points im gonna be smiling ear to ear... hell even if he finishes with 50 points im gonna be smiling just as big...... 20 years old is YOUNG.... i still dont have many doubts that he could be an 80 points/year player in a couple years

Old
11-19-2003, 06:29 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
You know what scares me - he appears to be playing only at a so-so level for him!!! I mean this kid is racking up points, yet, he isn't even playing that great (he had several better games last year). I think this kid will only get better as the season goes along - and although I expect one or two real long droughts, I figure he'll have an ending to the season which makes last year look like he played mediocre!

Old
11-19-2003, 07:17 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
You know what scares me - he appears to be playing only at a so-so level for him!!! I mean this kid is racking up points, yet, he isn't even playing that great (he had several better games last year). I think this kid will only get better as the season goes along - and although I expect one or two real long droughts, I figure he'll have an ending to the season which makes last year look like he played mediocre!
I predicted 80 points and if he gets to play with oates I still think he'll make it.

Old
11-19-2003, 07:29 PM
dem

80 points this year?? Are you kidding me?
Seriously, talk about unrealistic expectations. Hell, Kovalchuk only scored 67 last year!

Old
11-19-2003, 07:35 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
80 points this year?? Are you kidding me?
Seriously, talk about unrealistic expectations. Hell, Kovalchuk only scored 67 last year!
There's a difference between prediction and expectations.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:56 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
There's a difference between prediction and expectations.
Um.. not really. If you predict something you kind of expect it to happen.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:04 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Um.. not really. If you predict something you kind of expect it to happen.
Expected is much more minumum satisfaction level than predictions usually are. They're just different things.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:07 PM
dem

Eh.. whatever.
Either way 80 points is ridiculous. If he gets that in the peak of his career i'll be happy.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:11 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Don't think he'd exactly be a happy camper if that was his career year.

What hasn't been discussed is what he expects of himself, which is what really matters.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:14 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Hey LMHF#1, quit hanging around here and go and read my latest post!

Old
11-19-2003, 09:17 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Hey LMHF#1, quit hanging around here and go and read my latest post!
Too cryptic for me usually OYLz, I start reading and have to check that I'm still on HF Just not used to that kinda thing.

Closed Thread