HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Beau Bennett Signed

Old
04-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
Is there any chance of him doing a short stint in Wheeling? Smaller ice, they only roll 3 lines, so there would be more time for him to play. Maybe the first 10 games or so of the season to get his legs back before throwing him into the AHL?
How much smaller is the ice there?

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:44 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy412 View Post
That's the tone some are exhibiting.
I missed that vibe.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:45 PM
ShatteredGlass
Formerly Andy412

I for one see no problem with this deal. They obviously feel the guy can at least contribute at a level higher than the NCAA, so I'm all for it. Or maybe the organization doesn't know some things HF users do.

ShatteredGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:46 PM
TheEdge27

I dont know exactly, but just looking at it, especailly the offensive zones just look alot smaller.

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

He was obviously intent on only spending two years at Denver. I'd have preferred he stayed a third year because of lost playing time this year, but he accomplished what he went there to do - add bulk.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
****. No.

We have lost so many of our players. We lost Shore, Zucker and now Bennett.

Good signing though
Definitely sucks for DU. I read somewhere on their site that, this season, with Bennett in the lineup they averaged over 4 goals a game, and without him it was somewhere around 2.7 I think. Disproportionate sample sizes, but still, can't help but think they could've made a legit run with him in the lineup.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:12 PM
DreamBeaut

I am excited for Bennett, possibly more than most, but I am very disappointed in this move.

One more year in the NCAA would have done him well, I believe. Curious to see how he develops though, as I expect big things for him!

DreamBeaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
He played all of 10 games. Yes, he put up good numbers, but that's also a lousy sample size. And he'll be trying to move up a level (or two, if he goes straight to the AHL) while coming off an injury.

A week ago, everyone on the prospect thread was sure he'd be going back to DU, and even more sure that he should be going back to DU. Everyone was right then. Flip-flopping because someone made the wrong move is not a good way to be right.
I suspect this decision has a good bit to do with the decisions that others at Denver have made following the end of their season. A month ago I would have agreed that staying another year was the right move for him, but at this point I think this is the right decision. To those who are saying "another year in the NCAA would have been good for him", I'd just say this: when he initially went to Denver, three years would have been ideal for his ideal development path, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:46 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
Yeah, but just knowing that its there would drive me nuts.
It's not really there though. Unless he plays for the big club (incredibly unlikely) he only makes 67K a year. Nice work if you can get it but hardly 2.5 mill.

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
He was obviously intent on only spending two years at Denver. I'd have preferred he stayed a third year because of lost playing time this year, but he accomplished what he went there to do - add bulk.
I'm curious what you're basing this on, other than his decision to leave. I don't think that's the case at all and, in fact, almost all of the evidence points to the contrary. If he was "obviously intent on only spending two years at Denver" he would have made this decision three weeks ago when his season ended. Instead, this decision came well after their season was over and only after Zucker and Shore decided to leave. I think the far better explanation is that they decided that, with the remaining talent on Denver's roster, it would be better for him to develop in WBS, with their talent level, than to remain in Denver, with their remaining talent level. Remember, the only other drafted players on Denver's roster (other than Bennett) going into next year were going to be Nick Shore, Zac Larraza, Paul Phillips, Josiah Didier, Scott Mayfield and Sam Brittain (two forwards, three defensemen and a goaltender). That's not exactly an ideal situation, talent-wise, in which to further develop a high end offensive talent.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:54 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post
I'm curious what you're basing this on, other than his decision to leave. I don't think that's the case at all and, in fact, almost all of the evidence points to the contrary. If he was "obviously intent on only spending two years at Denver" he would have made this decision three weeks ago when his season ended. Instead, this decision came well after their season was over and only after Zucker and Shore decided to leave. I think the far better explanation is that they decided that, with the remaining talent on Denver's roster, it would be better for him to develop in WBS, with their talent level, than to remain in Denver, with their remaining talent level. Remember, the only other drafted players on Denver's roster (other than Bennett) going into next year were going to be Nick Shore, Zac Larraza, Paul Phillips, Josiah Didier, Scott Mayfield and Sam Brittain (two forwards, three defensemen and a goaltender). That's not exactly an ideal situation, talent-wise, in which to further develop a high end offensive talent.
I believe he said this himself in his post draft interview. I don't know where to find it anymore but I do remember hearing that as well.

MrBurgundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Sivek

Can't wait to see BB get called up in the future and play 4-6 minutes a game with Adams/Asham/goon

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:02 PM
justsayin*

Has to feel awesome to sign that contract.

justsayin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:09 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I'm going to trust that player development saw what they wanted in his limited time this season.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Good. I want him playing with the likes of Morrow and Kuhnhackl (and other prospects) in the AHL next season. Hopefully he can have a successful first pro campaign.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:24 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Good. I want him playing with the likes of Morrow and Kuhnhackl (and other prospects) in the AHL next season. Hopefully he can have a successful first pro campaign.
The PP should be good with Morrow manning the point, Bennett on the left and Kuhnhackl on the right. One-time bombs galore. If only Veilleux could stay healthy... He'd be a good guy to stick in front of the net standing at 6'5".

MrBurgundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:47 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

our scouts don't just look at his numbers and GP's on hockeydb like we do. They know what shape he's in, where his injury stands and his projections for next season. Good move.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Eh ... would have been nice to see him have one more full year of college before making the jump to professional hockey.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:53 PM
RobMT88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that the Pens signed him, considering that Beau only played in something like ten games this season due to the wrist injury.

Best of luck to him regardless.
Doesnt that make him a Penguin right there?

RobMT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:04 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Not unless he plays a game in WBS this year.
He'll sign an ATO with Wilkes-Barre and report there. He can then play as many games for them as they like without having any effect on his NHL deal.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey

Beau knows

Wes C Addle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes C Addle View Post
Beau knows

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Jacob

I coulda gone either way with this one.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
He'll sign an ATO with Wilkes-Barre and report there. He can then play as many games for them as they like without having any effect on his NHL deal.
Per Johnny Bomb:

Quote:
One last note before I go: Talked to assistant general manager Jason Botterill between periods tonight. He said Beau Bennett will not be reporting to Wilkes-Barre here at the end of the season while he continues to rehab his surgically repaired wrist. Bennett should be good to go by development camp in the summer
http://blogs.citizensvoice.com/penguins/?p=4583

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote