Basketball NBA, NCAA, International

NCAA: College Basketball 3 - NBA Draft Preview Thread

Old
04-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 500
NCAA: College Basketball 3 - NBA Draft Preview Thread

Lot of young ones declaring or staying. Big news from IU as Watford and Zeller stay. IU gonna be good next year.

Burke staying.

Sullinger, Big 3 UNC guys out

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Maalik Wayns is entering too for some reason.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Justified
Amaro out

if everyone declares that is supposed to, this is going to be a hell of a draft. Davis is obviously going first, but after that who knows?

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Jeremy Lamb enters.
Mason Plumlee returns to Duke
John Jenkins enters

Weird draft, gonna be a nightmare to predict. My tiers:

1. Anthony Davis
2. MKG, Robinson
3. Beal, Lamb, Drummond
4. Barnes, Sullinger, Moultre
5. Rivers, Lillard, Jones III, Leonard, Marshall, D. Lamb, Harkless, Ross
6. T. Zeller, Henson, Jones, Waiters

04-10-2012, 11:22 PM
DoomMF

My thoughts:

Anthony Davis - Camby w/ a lot more offensive upside is the best comparison I've heard.

Thomas Robinson - Not really sure what to expect, should be solid.

MKG - Probably an all-star down the road

Drummond - Like

Harrison Barnes/Jeremy Lamb - Wouldn't want either one. They both sort of remind me of Wes Johnson from Syracuse but with better handles. All the talent in the world, but no burning desire to be great. They both tend to drift in college, and in the NBA that spells doom. They'll be around awhile on talent, but will never meet expectations. Just as content at the end of a game to stand around watching - that's always a bad sign.

Should both be better than Rivers, but Rivers has that fire that they lack. Rivers will be okay in the NBA, but nobody is going to like playing with that gunner.

Beal - Love this kid, a smaller Ray Allen. They're listed about the same height, but it seems like Allen must have at least a couple inches on him.

Sullinger - Wouldn't touch him. Great college player, that's about it.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Davis- the most as he seems like he is going to be a great player.
Robinson- is only 6-8 but I like him a lot.
MKG- I think he is going to be a very good player possible all star.

Drummond- He and Perry Jones are the two players I am eerie of. Drummond has no basketball sense what so ever, he scored all his points on put backs and alley oops. He cant shoot and is terrible from the line. Some question his intensity but if he ever learns
how to play basketball and the drive is there, I think he will be the best player in this draft.

Barnes- Has all the talent in the world, but he would just dissapear at times during games. He is not aggressive enough.

Jeremy Lamb- Same thing can be said about him as Lamb, he just tends to float around and take long jumpers when he shouldn't

Other players I like are Marshall, Beal, and Waiters.

If Jared Sullinger is a lottery pick I feel like a team is making a mistake.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:55 AM
Nalyd Psycho

More detailed...

Anthony Davis - I've heard the Camby comparison, but I don't think it does him justice. Has there ever been a freshman have that kind of defensive impact? Few freshmen ever have had that kind of impact. I think affable Kevin Garnett is more apt.

Thomas Robinson - Rich man's Kris Humphries. He's an energy PF, but in the Final Four he really proved he can be an impact player. Star? Probably not. High end #2? Yeah.

Micheal Kidd-Gilchrist - Cross between Igodala and G. Wallace. Not a franchise player, but the SF every coach ever has wanted.

Andre Drummond - Could be anywhere from Amir Johnson +2 inches to the next Dwight Howard. Biggest boom or bust pick in my memory. His raw athletic ability is jaw dropping. But his actual game is even more raw. If a coaching staff can get him to focus on defence and learn some post moves, an MVP winner. But that is a big if.

Harrison Barnes - He has shown the swagger of a go to scorer. But he lacks the gear to dominate. I'm not sure it's a case of desire so much as a case of not being as talented as he can make himself seem. Best case scenario, he's Luol Deng on a hot streak. Worst case scenario, he's a John Salmons style ball freezer. If he can swallow his pride without losing his swagger, he can be an impact irrational confidence guy. Problem there, guys like that usually don't find that groove on their first team. (Although OJ Mayo is proving there are exceptions.)

Jeremy Lamb - Lacks the ball skills to be a lead guard. But could be an elite support guard. If the PG situation is set for the future, I would give Lamb a very long look. (I'm talking to you Washington and Cleveland) Otherwise he'll look lost trying to be the man. But aside from ball handling skills, he's got a great skill set.

Austin Rivers - Only way he plays on a winner is if he accepts a Jason Terry like role. Without a natural position and without mind-blowing skill, he's exactly the type of player that leads a team onto the mediocrity treadmill.

Brad Beal - Slightly undersized but otherwise a prototypical SG. (Imagine a team getting him and MKG? It would be the perfect wing.) The only question is if he's a franchise player ala Reggie Miller or a support gunner. (Which could still mean leading his team in scoring while winning, see Hamilton, Rip.)

Jared Sullinger - His athleticism is worrisome. But his post skills are high end. I get the fears, but I can't see what makes Zach Randolph, Al Jefferson and Carlos Boozer better. In the right environment, with the right support players, he can be a top scorer on a winner. But like Lamb, he's a tactical piece, depending on who he's on the court with, he'll either fail horribly or excel and win.

Arnett Moultre - Some sources are quite high on him. I see a 21 year old who still relies on his athleticism and think "Next Stromile Swift". We'll see if I'm right or wrong. If Portland gets him, hoping wrong. (But I also hope we don't take him because long and lean athletic big doesn't offer support for LA. Rather a thicker banger, a Maurice Lucas to LA's Walton.)

Damian Lillard/Kendall Marshall - Best point guards in the draft. Both have a lot of skills, but, lets be honest, both are going to be the type of player that is just a stop gap unless their team can afford to have a below average starting PG. IMO they are Mo Williams and Jose Calderon respectively. And are teams ever really happy with that kind of starting PG? Too important a position...

Perry Jones III
- So frustrating. All the skills in the world, none of the drive. His upside is looking more and more like Andrea Bargnani. But is more likely an Anthony Randolph/Austin Daye type. And really, who wants to waste the effort?

Moe Harkless - Intriguing guy. Showed everything you want out of a SF. Great athlete. Great size. And had a way above expectation freshman year. But did it in a weak conference. That said, he went for 15.9ppg and 8.2rpg on 44.7% shooting against ranked schools. As a late lottery guy I think he could be a really solid player. Will be better than someone taken before him. Low risk, but the upside is there. Got better as the year went on.

After that it's less interesting long shots (T. Ross, Wroten, Teague etc...) and solid but unspectacular players (Leonard, T. Zeller, D. Lamb, Henson, etc...)

Last edited by Nalyd Psycho: 04-11-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:11 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

The only top prospects I really like in this draft are Davis and MKG. A lot of the other top guys have too many question marks.

I've seen people compare Davis to Duncan and Garnett. Rick Pitino even threw Bill Russell's name out there when talking about Davis. But most people seem to think that at worst he'll be Marcus Camby. Not bad at all.

MKG isn't elite in any one area but he just seems to do everything well and he's a type of player you can win with. Kind of like the Landeskog of the draft.

Two other players I like are Kendall Marshall and Marquis Teague. They won't go in the top 10 and maybe not even the top 15 (Marshall might, Teague won't) but I think they can both be solid NBA point guards.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:37 AM
darko

JMO but if I'm picking 2nd and Davis is gone I'd go with MKG. Drummond is intriguing but a question mark. Also a huge fan of Thomas Robinson, he's slightly undersized though.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:43 AM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
More detailed...

Anthony Davis - I've heard the Camby comparison, but I don't think it does him justice. Has there ever been a freshman have that kind of defensive impact? Few freshmen ever have had that kind of impact. I think affable Kevin Garnett is more apt.

Thomas Robinson - Rich man's Kris Humphries. He's an energy PF, but in the Final Four he really proved he can be an impact player. Star? Probably not. High end #2? Yeah.

After that it's less interesting long shots (T. Ross, Wroten, Teague etc...) and solid but unspectacular players (Leonard, T. Zeller, D. Lamb, Henson, etc...)
Good post, that was a fun read.

My sleeper pick last year was Marshon Brooks (to the extent that 1st round picks are sleepers), and this year I'm going with Wroten.

Brooks is actually a lot more productive than I would have guessed as a rookie tbh.

I love watching Wroten play. I know he's out of control at times, and he more than most, could use some another year of good coaching at the college level, but if he can figure out how to shoot (no easy task), and add some strength he could be a good one down the road.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

The NBA talent pool is so watered down because so many kids leave early for the paycheck without being fully developed and most end up being flat out busts, rotting on the end of the bench for years or just become solid role players at best.

The UK duo and maybe Robinson are the only ones I see being All-Stars.
Marshall could be like a Mo Williams or Jarrett Jack, solid PG but not gonna set the world on fire. Barnes and Sullinger seem like boom or bust guys. They could be great or they could flame out.
Perry Jones I see as a lazy Ekpe Udoh.

I don't see anyone else being anything more than a solid bench guy.

This is probably for another thread but I think the NBA should adapt the MLB rule. You can leave out of High School but if you go to college you gotta stay at least 3 years.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Justified
Amaro out

Drummond will make his decision today. He probably should enter even though he needs another year.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
I love watching Wroten play. I know he's out of control at times, and he more than most, could use some another year of good coaching at the college level, but if he can figure out how to shoot (no easy task), and add some strength he could be a good one down the road.
I really wish he didn't enter. If he improved either his off the ball play or his playmaking, he'd be a stud. But as it stands now, his passing and handle are too weak to be PG/lead guard and his play if he doesn't have the ball in his hands is too weak to be an elite SG/support guard.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:19 PM
DoomMF

Quote:
I really wish he didn't enter. If he improved either his off the ball play or his playmaking, he'd be a stud. But as it stands now, his passing and handle are too weak to be PG/lead guard and his play if he doesn't have the ball in his hands is too weak to be an elite SG/support guard.
Did he sign with an agent? No way he comes back?

Old
04-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Did he sign with an agent? No way he comes back?
While I don't have evidence that he signed with an agent. The NCAA made the change your mind deadline April 10th (Such a monumentally stupid move.) so I think it's too late.

Old
04-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Did Drummond declare?

I think the top-5 in the draft will go:

1. Davis
2. MKG
3. T-Rob
4. Drummond
5. Beal/Lamb

I think Washington will try give Wall a good partner in the back court, New Orleans will want someone in the PF spot, Portland adds a partner in crime to LaMarcus A, who can contribute right away, and Toronto adds SG and might try DeRozan at SF.

Last edited by Oilbleeder: 04-11-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Drummond hasn't declared but he hasn't announced he's returning. The NBA allows players to declare up to April 29th.

Old
04-11-2012, 06:15 PM
DoomMF

Anyone have a link for all the underclassmen that have declared? I couldn't find on ESPN - or at least not without Insider access.

Old
04-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Drummond hasn't declared but he hasn't announced he's returning. The NBA allows players to declare up to April 29th.
Ah ok.

I think him and Kendall Marshall will be destined for Portland if Drummond does declare.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Anyone have a link for all the underclassmen that have declared? I couldn't find on ESPN - or at least not without Insider access.
A list of players that have entered, have declared they are returning, and have not yet announced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Ah ok.

I think him and Kendall Marshall will be destined for Portland if Drummond does declare.
That's the assumption. I'm holding out for Wes Matthews and one of the first being traded for James Harden.

Old
04-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Justified
Amaro out

Drummond declared.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:42 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
More detailed...

At this point, Davis is a lot more Camby than he is Garnett, imo. Davis hasn't shown that he has Garnett's array of offensive skills quite yet. It's great that Davis already has a decent range jump shot and a good back-to-the-basket game, but the thing that sets Garnett apart from just about every other big man not named Nowitzki is that he can also play with his front to the basket like an elite guard. He's just about impossible to defend.

Davis can flash some offensive game, better than Camby's mind you, but his biggest asset will likely be his defensive game.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Nalyd Psycho

The thing that makes Davis such a stand out is how much his offensive game improved over the course of the year. It's always a risk projecting things like this, but given his development arc so far, I firmly believe we are just scratching the surface of what he can do offensively.

Old
04-13-2012, 09:20 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
The thing that makes Davis such a stand out is how much his offensive game improved over the course of the year. It's always a risk projecting things like this, but given his development arc so far, I firmly believe we are just scratching the surface of what he can do offensively.
I still don't think he'll have the array of offensive skills that KG, or even LaMarcus Aldridge has and if Davis' body doesn't fill out, it's also going to limit his offensive game.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/McMurphyCBS/statu...92230033608704
Quote:
Atlantic 10 will hold 1 p.m. conference call today to announce addition of Butler
RIP Horizon, WAC

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote