HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Philadelphia Model?

Old
04-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Cookie007

vCash: 500
The Philadelphia Model?

Just watching the the Flyers-Penguins Game 2. Wow I am really impress with the Flyers tonight. However, I noticed their C aren't that big...Giroux, Briere, Couturier, Talbot. So basically Couturier is their only big C, however their top 2 are surrounded with big wingers (Hartnell, Simmons, Jagr, Voracek).

We basically have DD, Plekanec, Eller (could be our Staal, Courturier going up against other team's big line). We already have Pacioretty and Cole. Hopefully Bourque can turn it around and we need one more elite big winger.

Also watched the Bruins last night, their C are...Krecji, Bergeron, Pevererly/Kelly, so their not that BIG down the middle either, but like the Flyers they're surrounded by big wingers.

Cookie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
As long as The Molson tolerate Gomez around, this team is doomed.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Lafleurs Guy

It doesn't matter if its the centers or wingers who are big but I think it makes a lot of sense to have balanced size on the lines in your top 6. If you've got a small guy like say DD... it makes a lot of sense to flank him with bigger wingers like we've done.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Habs

I absolutely loved the guts they showed by trading away 2 franchise players for talented youth prospects. All those young team canada players on that roster from years gone by.... just amazing.

All that without JVR and Pronger.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Captain Saku

The philadelphia model is just having a pretty good GM model

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:29 PM
clarke19

They have an amazing D-core full of big solid guys to go along with that as well.

Coburn, Meszaros, Kubina, Grossman, not including Pronger.

That's where we need to improve.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Cookie007

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
They have an amazing D-core full of big solid guys to go along with that as well.

Idk bra, Coburn Mez, Kubina and Grossman...I rather have Markov (healthy) Gorges, Subban and whoever (Emelin or we sign a #4). But then they have Pronger, who's career might be done.

Cookie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Physical HABuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
The philadelphia model is just having a pretty good GM model
Agreed.....100 %.....GM....Scouting.....everything....not to mention all of those french players and QMJHL players. Look at the scoresheet today......Giroux, Couturier, Briere, Talbot, Voracek.....who says it's an inferior league. I say BS to that!!

Physical HABuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:37 PM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post

Ummmm no. We need to improve our offense, plus we have price in nets so we dont need a really super D but we need a more physical/tough d. If someone touches price that player will pay for it

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical HABuse View Post
Agreed.....100 %.....GM....Scouting.....everything....not to mention all of those french players and QMJHL players. Look at the scoresheet today......Giroux, Couturier, Briere, Talbot, Voracek.....who says it's an inferior league. I say BS to that!!
Some will say that there's less quality players in that league. True. Yet, there's always proof that there's STILL good players, no matter how less they are, they are still there. Philly loves the Q......how strange is that....But again, it's all about Simon Nolet, who the Philly management respects a whole lot.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

The Philly model works only if you have an excellent scouting department to properly judge prospects to replace your current starters. But it is effective.
So, we should start improving our scouting department.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Ginu

We're using the Philadelphia approach with Eller. They don't depend on their young players. They put them on the 3rd line and let them learn and become defensively responsible. Eventually they get more comfortable and take advantage of their opportunities when they find their feet. Boston did the same with Seguin. The goal is to have little to no pressure but giving them an opportunity to grow at the same time.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:57 PM
clarke19

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
Ummmm no. We need to improve our offense, plus we have price in nets so we dont need a really super D but we need a more physical/tough d. If someone touches price that player will pay for it
That's what I was saying. Notice I didn't mention Timonen? How many bonafide puckmovers to the Flyers have? Just Timonen. The ability to move the puck is only effective if you have the puck, not if your chasing it around your zone poking at it with your stick because of a limited physical presence on your blueline.

Diaz and Kaberle are great D-men. Ok, maybe great is a stretch, but you don't win championships with 3-4 soft puckmovers on the point.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I absolutely loved the guts they showed by trading away 2 franchise players for talented youth prospects. All those young team canada players on that roster from years gone by.... just amazing.

All that without JVR and Pronger.
I loved it too. Didn't understand the Bryz contract but I loved those moves. When you get a bunch of elite young talent it usually pays off.

I thought Pitts would take them in a long series but Sid and the gang better get it together if they want to win.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:00 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie007 View Post
Just watching the the Flyers-Penguins Game 2. Wow I am really impress with the Flyers tonight. However, I noticed their C aren't that big...Giroux, Briere, Couturier, Talbot. So basically Couturier is their only big C, however their top 2 are surrounded with big wingers (Hartnell, Simmons, Jagr, Voracek).

We basically have DD, Plekanec, Eller (could be our Staal, Courturier going up against other team's big line). We already have Pacioretty and Cole. Hopefully Bourque can turn it around and we need one more elite big winger.

Also watched the Bruins last night, their C are...Krecji, Bergeron, Pevererly/Kelly, so their not that BIG down the middle either, but like the Flyers they're surrounded by big wingers.
Yeah, that's why I'm tired of this big centre talk.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Hold on 2 games up in the 1st round means nothing! The Habs have proved that in the past & Pitts has Crosby & Malkin, the defence has to get in the game, then watch out!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:01 PM
MarkovsKnee

We need to build from the draft. Can Grigorenko be as good as Giroux? Or Galchenyuk as good as Toews? I don't know that answer, but that's what we need them to become if we draft one of them. I think we have some interesting up and coming prospects like Gallgher, Leblanc and Kristo up front and Tinordi and Beaulieu on D, but we need to keep building.

We have our goalkeeper in Price. Watching these playoffs and other team's D has made me appreciate Subban so much more. We CAN NOT trade him. What he brings in skating, puck movement and physical play is absolutely unique.

Pacioretty is a great player too. We have a long way to go to add the depth that we need to compete with the Flyers, Pens, & Bruins.

Hopefully, our next GM is a smart guy and will work to help us get there, and not just give us more of the same.

I can't believe Couturier went 8th. Winnipeg must be kicking themselves that they went with Schiefele over Couturier.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:09 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
You have to trade top talent to get good assets they had the balls to do it, its not by trading guys like spacek, gill that you're gonna get good stuff.

Put Price on the block and you will get good stuff in return ,a good team with an average goalie will go further than an average team with good goaltending

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:11 PM
domdo345

You know what guys? Their GM had the guts to trade Richards AND Carter because he felt he couldn't win with their current line-up. Same situation with Plekanec. The guy is a class act but we won't win with him. He's worth a good first rounder, build with that.

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:18 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

The Philly model shows us exactly why you don't hire a guy like BriseBois.

They don't give a **** about the cap, and they get away with it because they have elite level talent evaluation.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:19 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Put Price on the block and you will get good stuff in return ,a good team with an average goalie will go further than an average team with good goaltending
Blatantly untrue. There are instances of both types having success. Best is a very good team with great goaltending. Montreal needs to become a very good team.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
You know what guys? Their GM had the guts to trade Richards AND Carter because he felt he couldn't win with their current line-up. Same situation with Plekanec. The guy is a class act but we won't win with him. He's worth a good first rounder, build with that.
I don't think it's quite the same situation. I think if you asked the Flyers brass, they would have said adamantly that they considered Giroux their best centre moving forward. So they got rid of expensive quality veteran "depth" and kept the best one, whereas if Montreal traded Plekanec they'd be dealing their best one to keep affordable young "depth". May seem like a small difference to some, but it changes everything as far as I'm concerned. It'd be the difference between asking your best to carry the load while the promising youth fills in the depth, and asking your promising youth to carry the load while having no coherent plan (bandaid vet/AHL call-up merry-go-round) for filling in the depth.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:27 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

4 years ago : Wings model
3 years ago : Pens model
2 years ago : Hawks model
last year : Bruins model
this year : Flyers model

next year ? ? ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Are people jumping the gun again? They've won two PO games in a row, not two Cups in a row. With the way they start games, they could be trailing 0-2 in the serie and nobody would be talking about their "model" now. Kudos for the comebacks but their "model" has proven little.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:28 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I don't think it's quite the same situation. I think if you asked the Flyers brass, they would have said adamantly that they considered Giroux their best centre moving forward. So they got rid of expensive quality veteran "depth" and kept the best one, whereas if Montreal traded Plekanec they'd be dealing their best one to keep affordable young "depth". May seem like a small difference to some, but it changes everything as far as I'm concerned. It'd be the difference between asking your best to carry the load while the promising youth fills in the depth, and asking your promising youth to carry the load while having no coherent plan (bandaid vet/AHL call-up merry-go-round) for filling in the depth.
We will have some depth with a 3rd overall pick + plek's return. And everybody thought PHI would fight for a playoff spot this year because of the trades. The fact is, with the way kids train and the systems in place in the CHL, the difference between Plekanec and an early first rounder isn't that far away.

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote