HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

G Zach Fucale - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013, 36th overall, Montreal)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2012, 08:40 PM
  #51
Dont Hinder Jinder
Registered User
 
Dont Hinder Jinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRask View Post
Hah i love it! Mind if i steal it for my signature? lol
Go wild

On a related note, I'm hoping the Oilers can snag him

Dont Hinder Jinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:41 PM
  #52
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
I'll admit, I was only 12 when Fleury was 16

Fleury had to be scrambly in nets... The Cape Breton Screaming Eagles were awful and gave up 40 shots a game (no joke) when Fleury was 16. That team was a group of scrappers... including Fleury lol
i been with the league ever since the days of Jean-Sebastien Giguere...I watched goalies like Jose Theodore, Marc Denis, JS Giguere, Martin Biron, Roberto Luongo, Halak, Pavlek, Fleury all come up in the league and I have to say I think Fucale is better than most of them at the same age.........as for Fleury's scramble play, no he really made a lot of work for himself in nets, many times I watched him and i mean many and he had a simple to the body shot and would let the rebound out right in traffic, things like that a goalie should be trapping, Fleury turned a 25 save night into a 35 save night, have the rebounds he let out were because of him....I will say there was not an exciting goalie I watched than him and I will say he was one of my favs and still is.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:42 PM
  #53
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,748
vCash: 500
he's been more than awesome against the Remparts

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:51 PM
  #54
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
i been with the league ever since the days of Jean-Sebastien Giguere...I watched goalies like Jose Theodore, Marc Denis, JS Giguere, Martin Biron, Roberto Luongo, Halak, Pavlek, Fleury all come up in the league and I have to say I think Fucale is better than most of them at the same age.........as for Fleury's scramble play, no he really made a lot of work for himself in nets, many times I watched him and i mean many and he had a simple to the body shot and would let the rebound out right in traffic, things like that a goalie should be trapping, Fleury turned a 25 save night into a 35 save night, have the rebounds he let out were because of him....I will say there was not an exciting goalie I watched than him and I will say he was one of my favs and still is.
I obviously can't argue this point but I gotta still say, the Screaming Eagles of 2000-01 were way worse than the Mooseheads of 2011-12.

If any of the 4 Lewiston fans still follow the Q, they must be sour that Fucale was picked with their 1st round pick.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:13 PM
  #55
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,514
vCash: 500
2013 is a big year for the moose.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:23 PM
  #56
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
2013 is a big year for the moose.

this is a big year for the QMJHL in general

Nathan Mackinnon
Zachuary Fucale
Anthony Duclair
Adam Erne
Nick Sorensen
Jeremy Gregoire
Jonathan Drouin
Matt Murphy
Philippe Caddorett
Alex Belanger
Dominic Graham
William Carrier
Samuel Morin
Philippe Desrosiers
Oliver Cooper
Nikolas Brouillard
Emile Poirier

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:27 PM
  #57
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Definitely italian. Now thats sorted we know he'll be the next Jason Muzatti

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:35 PM
  #58
Golden55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
this is a big year for the QMJHL in general

Nathan Mackinnon
Zachuary Fucale
Anthony Duclair
Adam Erne
Nick Sorensen
Jeremy Gregoire
Jonathan Drouin
Matt Murphy
Philippe Caddorett
Alex Belanger
Dominic Graham
William Carrier
Samuel Morin
Philippe Desrosiers
Oliver Cooper
Nikolas Brouillard
Emile Poirier
A guy like Anthony Mantha (VDO) should be on this list as well...

Golden55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:03 PM
  #59
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
this is a big year for the QMJHL in general

Nathan Mackinnon
Zachuary Fucale
Anthony Duclair
Adam Erne
Nick Sorensen
Jeremy Gregoire
Jonathan Drouin
Matt Murphy
Philippe Caddorett
Alex Belanger
Dominic Graham
William Carrier
Samuel Morin
Philippe Desrosiers
Oliver Cooper
Nikolas Brouillard
Emile Poirier
2013 is looking unreal...so much depth. look at the eligble players from the dub and its one of the best in the last ten years. add Monahan and Domi from the OHL and Barkov, that swede named elias something and popeye jones kid...just sick. i know ppl say it every year but 2013 looks like the best draft in years.

anyways back to the thread. who looks to be the better goalie right now, fucale or eric comrie?

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:09 PM
  #60
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
I don't think it's pronounced Foo-ck-ail
I think it's Foo-Cali
Yeah, that's how it's pronounced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tairy Greene View Post
it looks pretty Italien to me
Very confident he his, in some capacity at least. He has an Italian flag on the back of his helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
he's been more than awesome against the Remparts
Without a doubt. He's been absolutely insane and a massive reason why Halifax has won the last to games (and why the first few were close).

I try to temper my expectations on him because I haven't seen a goalie that is this good, this young before. I'm one of his biggest fans, but top 5 is pretty tough to say, and it's very early.

That being said, I love that he's getting tons of attention. He's been the most impressive and surprising player on this talented Halifax squad. I expect him to be the highest goalie selected since Jack Campbell in 2010 at #11, if he goes higher it's entirely on who is selecting at that point.

I see multiple WJCs in his extremely bright future.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:34 PM
  #61
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
That being said, I love that he's getting tons of attention. He's been the most impressive and surprising player on this talented Halifax squad. I expect him to be the highest goalie selected since Jack Campbell in 2010 at #11, if he goes higher it's entirely on who is selecting at that point.

I see multiple WJCs in his extremely bright future.
Same for me. The last 3 from the CHL who have been this good this early are, for me at least, Thomas McCollum, Dan Blackburn and Brian Finley.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:46 PM
  #62
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,009
vCash: 597
Here's the video of the save that has been mentioned in this thread, near the end of the video:

http://www.rds.ca/zone-video/#cat=84&videoID=108770

The Remparts radio guy has been pronouncing it as ''Fu-ca-ley''.

I am going to predict right now Fucale will be an Oiler.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:10 PM
  #63
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
I almost made a thread called "mackinnon and fucale could be the 1st skater and goalie taken in 2013" a while ago. I remember after halifax drafted fucale I asked scoutman why they didn't take belanger and he said fucale could end up better, good call.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:25 PM
  #64
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Same for me. The last 3 from the CHL who have been this good this early are, for me at least, Thomas McCollum, Dan Blackburn and Brian Finley.
Canada hasn't really produced many goalies who have been worth hyping & did anything. James Reimer and Steve Mason are 2 younger Canadian goalies who had flashes of success in the NHL but haven't done anything consistently. The last three 16 year olds that I remember coming in and being successful right away are Calvin Pickard, Peter Delmas, and Olivier Roy but none of them where really hyped up to be anything special. Personally, I expected a lot more from Calvin Pickard but the poor kid was stuck on a pretty bad Seattle team his entire WHL career.

Fucale's the first guy I've seen since Fleury at that age that I can look at and say he's a guaranteed first round pick.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:46 AM
  #65
bigdirty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
I believe Halifax actually drafted Fucale with a pick they got from Lewiston in the dispersal draft when they folded.
Would've been much easier to take an older player to make an immediate impact, especially since the team had been so awful for so long, but I remember reading just after the draft they wanted Lewiston's 1st round pick specifically to draft Fucale.
Cam Russell is starting to look like a genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
I'll admit, I was only 12 when Fleury was 16

Fleury had to be scrambly in nets... The Cape Breton Screaming Eagles were awful and gave up 40 shots a game (no joke) when Fleury was 16. That team was a group of scrappers... including Fleury lol
Haha, you're not kidding. First time I saw Fleury play he made 40 something saves to shutout the Mooseheads. Actually felt bad for him because even with a 4-0 lead late in the third, Cape Breton still kept giving up odd-man rushes.
Thing about Fleury however, is that he gets tired, like a normal human being. Fucale doesn't seem to have that problem.

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:55 AM
  #66
bigdirty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
this is a big year for the QMJHL in general

Nathan Mackinnon
Zachuary Fucale
Anthony Duclair
Adam Erne
Nick Sorensen
Jeremy Gregoire
Jonathan Drouin
Matt Murphy
Philippe Caddorett
Alex Belanger
Dominic Graham
William Carrier
Samuel Morin
Philippe Desrosiers
Oliver Cooper
Nikolas Brouillard
Emile Poirier
2013 does seem to be pretty unreal for the QMJHL. How do you think they would compare to the entire 2012 draft? As in, where do you think guys like Mackinnon, Fucale, Erne, Duclair, etc. would be drafted if they were all made eligible for 2012?

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:31 AM
  #67
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
2013 does seem to be pretty unreal for the QMJHL. How do you think they would compare to the entire 2012 draft? As in, where do you think guys like Mackinnon, Fucale, Erne, Duclair, etc. would be drafted if they were all made eligible for 2012?
that is always hard...do you want me comparing a 16 year old Mackinnon to an 18 year old Yakupov?

all would be 1st round picks...I can say that....but hard to compare an 18 year old Yakupov to a 16 year old Mackinnon...Yakupov would be 1st in this draft, but if I was to compare Mackinnon next year I would say Mackinnon would be 1st.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:36 AM
  #68
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
2013 is looking unreal...so much depth. look at the eligble players from the dub and its one of the best in the last ten years. add Monahan and Domi from the OHL and Barkov, that swede named elias something and popeye jones kid...just sick. i know ppl say it every year but 2013 looks like the best draft in years.

anyways back to the thread. who looks to be the better goalie right now, fucale or eric comrie?
Both are great goalies and I think both will be 1st rounders next year but Fucale is ahead of the learning curve than Comrie, what Fucale has over a lot of goalies now an past his age is maturity and poise and the ability to not get rattled easy which is touch to find in a 16 year old, and his ability to track the play is like not too many goalies before him, he does not scramble and keeps his cool and is able to make some amazing saves because of that.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:37 AM
  #69
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden55 View Post
A guy like Anthony Mantha (VDO) should be on this list as well...
you are probably right, but I have to say when i watched Val-d'Or I did not notice him and was mostly watching Tremblay and Murphy and might have lacked to have seen him.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:36 AM
  #70
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 500
So scoutman, if I recall correctly, you think highly of Ville Husso. For you, is it Fucale > Husso, Husso > Fucale or too close to call?

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:32 AM
  #71
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
So scoutman, if I recall correctly, you think highly of Ville Husso. For you, is it Fucale > Husso, Husso > Fucale or too close to call?
Fucale > Husso...and I have Husso moved to my 2nd round now.....my only two goalies in the 1st round are Fucale and Comrie...no reason for Husso getting worse...but this draft is beyond deep...for 3 goalies to go in the 1st round Husso will have to have a huge year next year.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:50 AM
  #72
SPORTSMANIAC
Registered User
 
SPORTSMANIAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
I obviously can't argue this point but I gotta still say, the Screaming Eagles of 2000-01 were way worse than the Mooseheads of 2011-12.

If any of the 4 Lewiston fans still follow the Q, they must be sour that Fucale was picked with their 1st round pick.
I won't derail the thread too much, but I don't think Lewiston would have drafted him.

They would have gone with Makarov and Bibeau to start the season...I believe that the pick would have been traded to acquire an impact 19-year old

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:04 PM
  #73
Ovy
Registered User
 
Ovy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
I saw Fucale played against Quebec back in November. Quebec won it 6-1 and Fucale didn't play in the last 10 minutes of the games. He allowed 5 goals on 32 shots and despite this fact, I was very impressed by his performance. For a 16 years old kid, after seeing played goalies like Luongo and Fleury at 16 too, he is already ahead of them at the same age.

It's obvious that the goalie of the 2010 Decades possess a better technique than the goalie of the 2000 and '90 decades but Fucale like many mentionned his simply amazing. Honestly, I think that the kid have a shot to play for Team Canada Junior in the next WJC. At least, he will receive an invitation for sure.

I can say also that people in Quebec City, on the radio, are talking as much as Fucale and MacKinnon. In fact, Fucale, like some posters mentionned, is the main reason why Halifax are still alive in this Serie against Quebec.

But one thing is sure, you don't have to see him a lot before you can tell that he is very good. He possess a very quick and good glove, his lateral movement east-west and west-east are better than many 19 years old in the Q. He is tracking the puck very well and beat it (beat the pass) more than often.

Ovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:57 PM
  #74
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,320
vCash: 500
Leafs might have found a franchise goalie......

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:22 PM
  #75
stubbadub
Registered User
 
stubbadub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
The only similarity to Carey Price he has is that he lets in some seriously soft goals. He was great the past two games, but each first goal against him was soft as margarine. Needs to tighten up his 5 hole. I can maaaaaaaaaybe see him getting drafted in the first round if Halifax advances this series, and does well next year as well, but I'm thinking more of a second round risk pick.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.