HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Roster Changes/Call-up Ideas For Game 3

Old
04-13-2012, 10:57 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
There is no ****ing way Lovejoy should step foot on the ice again this year.

If Niskanen is not back, Despres should get the nod.

I'd probably sit Asham and play Tangradi as well.

Asham & Adams out; Tangradi & Jeffrey in with Vitale on the 4th line.

That will give the Pens more of a legitimate scoring threat on the 4th line, and be more of a threat to have those kinds of players be double-shifted with Crosby/Malkin/Staal.

edit: Also, stop putting forwards on the point on the PP -- especially when we have the lead -- unless it's the last few minutes and we are behind. Last year, we did "OK" with Michalek or others on the PP unit. Even if Niskanen is out and Paul Martin isn't Gonchar, it's still not worth the risk when we're up in the game or tied.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
They need to try something but I don't think Byslma has it in him... he's kind of the like the Cheerleader coaches the Steelers get. If the plan fails then we are going down with the plan.

At this point, I think Micha-sof, Marti-soft, Lovejoy, & Orpik are so confused and playing so tight that they just are a nuclear explosion of mistakes.
Bill Cowher - i see it. difference is DB won early and BC won late.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post

That will give the Pens more of a legitimate scoring threat on the 4th line, and be more of a threat to have those kinds of players be double-shifted with Crosby/Malkin/Staal.
Switching out two players who have history of being great playoff performers for two players who have been underwhelming statistically and haven't seen much high level competition in a long period of time?

Not sure how you think that makes a positive difference. I understand both Jeffrey and Tangradi have a better all-around skillset than Adams and Asham, but even leaving out what you lose in the trade-off in intangibles, it's a bit of a jump to think Jeffrey or Tangradi is ready to produce at THIS point when they weren't even producing much back when they were seeing regular shifts.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:16 PM
pensfansince88

lovejoy is pure garbage. hope he never sees the ice again as a pen. if we're gonna win or lose i rather do it with despres. i don't hate him yet.

pensfansince88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:18 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
Switching out two players who have history of being great playoff performers for two players who have been underwhelming statistically and haven't seen much high level competition in a long period of time?

Not sure how you think that makes a positive difference. I understand both Jeffrey and Tangradi have a better all-around skillset than Adams and Asham, but even leaving out what you lose in the trade-off in intangibles, it's a bit of a jump to think Jeffrey or Tangradi is ready to produce at THIS point when they weren't even producing much back when they were seeing regular shifts.
I actually would not remove Asham. I like him a lot, he has some offensive ability, and we need the tougness.

I would be content with swapping out Adams for Tangradi, and utilizing our top forwards more often on the PK, and switch around our forward lines in general. We did the latter in the regular season, but we really haven't yet done that in the playoffs.

I also think Tangradi was really getting into a groove and playing his best hockey as a Penguin by a fair margin late in the regular season. So I think he has earned the opportunity.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
I actually would not remove Asham. I like him a lot, he has some offensive ability, and we need the tougness.

I would be content with swapping out Adams for Tangradi, and utilizing our top forwards more often on the PK, and switch around our forward lines in general. We did the latter in the regular season, but we really haven't yet done that in the playoffs.

I also think Tangradi was really getting into a groove and playing his best hockey as a Penguin by a fair margin late in the regular season. So I think he has earned the opportunity.
I wouldn't be wholly against the idea. Adams is a gamer, but i agree with you that i really liked what i saw from Tangradi the last couple times i saw him. I could go either way on that.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:15 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:

edit: Also, stop putting forwards on the point on the PP -- especially when we have the lead -- unless it's the last few minutes and we are behind. Last year, we did "OK" with Michalek or others on the PP unit. Even if Niskanen is out and Paul Martin isn't Gonchar, it's still not worth the risk when we're up in the game or tied.
Agreed 100%.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Niskanen on the top PP as well. Unlike Letang, he doesn't double clutch the puck and his shot is always on the net.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:19 AM
SidTheKid8787

You don't have to re-invent the wheel here. As mentioned we've had 5 leads in 2 games only to lose them both. The compete level has to be there.

Depres for Lovejoy and start with different forward line looks to see if it sparks Geno and Staal.

Throw Staal on Geno's wing and let someone else check Giroux. He can't do any worse than Staal has.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:14 AM
Zirakzigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHSports View Post
I would play Despres, Strait, and Tangradi and sit Lovejoy, Martin, and Asham
I could go with this. If Asham isnt going to be a pest this series hes not doing anything. No one on their team will drop the gloves with him.

Zirakzigil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:16 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I don't think Tangradi brings anything that we need on this team right now.

We need Malkin and Neal to get going. Fleury to at least stop the shots he's supposed to. Niskanen also needs to get healthy or maybe just put Strait in for Lovejoy.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little more of Crosby or Malkin on the pk. Look at the damage Giroux does on the pk when he gets the opportunity to attack offensive minded players that aren't great defensively. No reason to think Crosby or Malkin can't do the same. I still think we'll struggle to pk against Philly because they have a lot of firepower but we could at least score a shortie here and there to offset things a bit. It's what they did to us last night.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:38 AM
steelcityassault

Completely agree on Tangradi and Jeffrey.

Philly's D is over powering us. Tangradi's size behind the net and along the boards would help big time.

Jeffrey is a natural offensive threat on the PK. Scored tons of shorties in juniors and in Wilkes, too

steelcityassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:39 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Our defense needs to play at a level where they're not losing us the game--they don't need to be spectacular, they just need to not be ****ing horrendous.

Malkin's line needs to produce, and in bunches, at ES.

MAF needs to have a stellar game to get his confidence back.

We don't really NEED personnel changes, except for Lovejoy being replaced with either Despres or Strait.

The next game is going to be ridiculous. The Flyers are going to come out guns blazing, and trying to run every one of our players into the 5th row. We need to score early, and work from there.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:00 AM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
I could go with this. If Asham isnt going to be a pest this series hes not doing anything. No one on their team will drop the gloves with him.
It's pretty rare to see fights this time of year anyway, and Asham has a history of producing points in the playoffs, so i'm not sure why you think his fighting ability would be the only reason to keep him in the lineup.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:20 AM
bigd

I think they should give Strait and Tangrafi a shot. Can they be any worse than Lovejoy, Adams or Asham?

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Crosbyfan

Bench Sid until Malkin starts scoring at even strength, feels good about himself, and plays two way hockey.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Speedster
Just a king.

Play Jeffrey.

Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Lack of using the 4th line is one of the issues. You need to roll 4 lines with quick changes. It is the playoffs and that's what the eventual champs do.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Speedster
Just a king.

I like what jmelm said; Adams and Asham out and put in Jeffrey & Tangradi.

Also hope Niskanen returns.

Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
I like what jmelm said; Adams and Asham out and put in Jeffrey & Tangradi.

Also hope Niskanen returns.
They weren't the issue, they hardly saw the ice. Hint, hint.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:02 AM

I'm hoping for...

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Crosby-Dupuis
Sullivan-Staal-TK
Park-Vittles-Adams

I think Parks energy and puck hounding could get a nice buzz going after goals for or against.

A big thing for me is using 2 D on the points of the PP. The Flyers are to agressive up top and are making mince meat out of the Pens point men.

You can almost track when the Flyers will turn the game around because the Pens stop getting pucks in deep and start turning pucks over at the blue line. My friggin mom sees that coming a mile away.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

I think they should roll 4 line consistently and scrap trying to match up lines. 40 seconds and you're off. It's not like they'll get too many favorable matchups anyway being the road team. Let them worry about matchups. In the end you end up with a more refreshed "TEAM" and the lack of getting back will be minimized.

The fourth line players payed only 5 to 8 minutes. Not a winning formula in the playoffs.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:23 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
I think they should roll 4 line consistently and scrap trying to match up lines. 40 seconds and you're off. It's not like they'll get too many favorable matchups anyway being the road team. Let them worry about matchups. In the end you end up with a more refreshed "TEAM" and the lack of getting back will be minimized.

The fourth line players payed only 5 to 8 minutes. Not a winning formula in the playoffs.
The fourth line stinks. Adams and asham are too slow and joe hasn't been much like his regular season self. That said tangradi isn't going to help us. Remind me again why people keep wanting him to play? Oh yeah........he's big. Pardon me if I don't think he'd make a damn bit of difference.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Our defense needs to play at a level where they're not losing us the game--they don't need to be spectacular, they just need to not be ****ing horrendous.

Malkin's line needs to produce, and in bunches, at ES.

MAF needs to have a stellar game to get his confidence back.

We don't really NEED personnel changes, except for Lovejoy being replaced with either Despres or Strait.

The next game is going to be ridiculous. The Flyers are going to come out guns blazing, and trying to run every one of our players into the 5th row. We need to score early, and work from there.
that doesn't work in MAF's case. he's a weird individual, bad games don't affect him, and good games are not a guarantee he's on a great stretch, especially in the playoffs.

for example he had the amazing game 3 against the Habs a couple of seasons ago and proceed to crap the bed for the rest of the series.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:07 AM
SkullSplitter

I'd say Despres in, Lovejoy out.

What is Lovejoy bringing to the team right now that Despres couldn't? Lovejoy's awful & he was responsible on at least two of the goaks last night IIRC.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:36 AM
SkullSplitter

I think we need Dr. Hook, Ogie Oglethorpe, the Hanson Brothers, etc. If we can't beat em, beat the hell out of em I say.

I'm trying to find the "Let 'em know you're there" speech from Slap Shot, but it's not on youtube anymore, I like to play it in the face of adversity.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote