HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part List of candidates for GM and Coach Part V

View Poll Results: Choose your Destiny
Claude Julien 29 28.16%
Alain Vigneault 74 71.84%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2012, 12:46 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Seriously? The guy won the Jack Adams, went to the SCF, and coached the Canucks to two straight Presidents' Trophies. The Canucks lose two games to the Kings and he "can't adapt"?
He has a team capable to go deep in the playoffs, if the Canucks get eliminated in the first round, AV is gone with his President trophy and the Jack Adams at the same time. I hope Savard or the new GM takes his time and look at all the options.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:49 AM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
Elliotte Friedman is always a great read. His April 11th article suggests some possible candidates for NHL coaching jobs. He mentions: Tippett, Dallas Eakins, Todd Nelson, Jon Cooper, Mike Sullivan, Craig MacTavish, Bob Hartley, Jim Playfair, Peter Horachek, and Gerard Gallant.

Mentions Hartley, Roy, and Jacques Lemaire specifically for Montreal.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html
There is absolutely no way that is happening. Lemaire hated coaching in Montreal when he was younger, and quit just before the Canadiens won the Cup in 1986 and became good. I can't see him coming in now at age 66.

Not sure about Bob Hartley, although he's the only coach that ever lead the Atlanta Thrashers into the playoffs, and he has a Stanley Cup, so those two things should at least give him consideration.

Old
04-14-2012, 03:00 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
There is absolutely no way that is happening. Lemaire hated coaching in Montreal when he was younger, and quit just before the Canadiens won the Cup in 1986 and became good. I can't see him coming in now at age 66.

Not sure about Bob Hartley, although he's the only coach that ever lead the Atlanta Thrashers into the playoffs, and he has a Stanley Cup, so those two things should at least give him consideration.
Lemaire was ready to accept the Montreal job before Bob went with Jacques Martin. In fact he was sure he would get the job and he went fishing and his fishing partner told him Martin had been hired and he was shocked.

I think it's entirely possible this could happen.

Old
04-14-2012, 03:03 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Not sure if it's been posted but Lafleur doesn't like the idea of Roy as coach.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=MontrealHome
But he also said Roy would make a good GM. He said that if Roy should accept something it should be the GM position because he would be too much of an easy target as coach. And that includes job security.

Old
04-14-2012, 04:03 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
used to go to his brasserie in saint-jovite in my younger days... got to see him a couple of time too. ill give lemaire the keys to the city if he wants to coach the canadiens. i doubt it, but you can always ask

Old
04-14-2012, 05:15 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Not sure if it's been posted but Lafleur doesn't like the idea of Roy as coach.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=MontrealHome

I sorta chuckle at why Roy is to "fiery" to coach in Montreal .

anyone remember this guy?Watch real close at the 32 second mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxNrc...eature=related

Old
04-14-2012, 06:06 AM
Craig71

Alain Vigneault will be available in 2 games.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Alain Vigneault will be available in 2 games.
Probably a little more than that.....Wonder who'll they hire though....Patrick Roy?

Old
04-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I sorta chuckle at why Roy is to "fiery" to coach in Montreal .

anyone remember this guy?Watch real close at the 32 second mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxNrc...eature=related
It is indeed mind boggling. You have to think that they are looking at anything to discredit Roy while it would make him just different that the dull guys we had in the past. But hey Burns was quiet.....so is Tortorella.....

Old
04-14-2012, 07:16 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It is indeed mind boggling. You have to think that they are looking at anything to discredit Roy while it would make him just different that the dull guys we had in the past. But hey Burns was quiet.....so is Tortorella.....
Anyone in his right mind and not afflicted with a personal agenda knows that Patrick Roy has a streak of great coach in him. He may be fiery but managed to convinced Junior hockey players for over a decade now to adopt his vision and they consistently are a serious Memorial Cup contender calibre team. To do that so consistently, a team has to have a great GM and a great coach. Roy is both! a mix of Charlie Henry (Best Junior GM in Canada for over 20 years) and Pat Burns rolled into one. I will be greatly disappointed if he does not get the coaching nod in Montreal.

Question - if he is so emotionally compromised as some suggest, why has he been such a winner and managed to get sensitive young hockey players to play for him in such way, year after year, for over a decade now?

Old
04-14-2012, 07:53 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Anyone in his right mind and not afflicted with a personal agenda knows that Patrick Roy has a streak of great coach in him. He may be fiery but managed to convinced Junior hockey players for over a decade now to adopt his vision and they consistently are a serious Memorial Cup contender calibre team. To do that so consistently, a team has to have a great GM and a great coach. Roy is both! a mix of Charlie Henry (Best Junior GM in Canada for over 20 years) and Pat Burns rolled into one. I will be greatly disappointed if he does not get the coaching nod in Montreal.

Question - if he is so emotionally compromised as some suggest, why has he been such a winner and managed to get sensitive young hockey players to play for him in such way, year after year, for over a decade now?

who better to HAVE COACHING when you got a team of YOUNG GUYS?

Jacques Martin? you seen first hand , how many of Montreal young guy's got shipped out ...

Patrick Roy? as a jr coach he has TONS of knowledge on coaching younger players.....Montreal roster is full of them ...and many more coming like the Tinodri, Brendan Gallagher Leblanc and crew...

Old
04-14-2012, 09:06 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I didn't think Burns was quietbut maybe I'm missing the sarcasm as I see Torts mentioned in the same breath.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:11 AM
chsb

Alain Vigneault will become the preferred candidate as Coach for the Habs after the Canucks get quickly eliminated.
He would also be the perfect one with all his ranting and misuse of star players.

Seriously speaking though, I doubt very much that Serge Savard would fall into that trap.....he is one of the few I still have respect for....one of the old guard.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:18 AM
macavoy

Paul Fenton would be at the top of my list, his resume is extremely impressive and has considerable more hockey management experience than other candidates like Brisebois & Bergevin. I feel like 1 or 2 years as an assistant isn't enough to fully learn the role.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

I would think we would HAVE to hire Alain Vigneault if he were to become available. I don't really see any better candidates out there for the head coaching position.

04-14-2012, 09:23 AM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 515
Anyone know how has Craig MacTavish done in the AHL?

Old
04-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
a coach who can't adapt....
I'm not sure I would agree with that. Vigneault, when in Montreal and in his first few years in Vancouver, was a defense-first coach. When Mike Gillis was hired, the two met and Gillis asked him if he could implement a more agressive system... and he did. Gillis went on to provide Vigneault with better puck-moving defensemen to help the transition and to his credit, the coach lived up to his words.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:31 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I would think we would HAVE to hire Alain Vigneault if he were to become available. I don't really see any better candidates out there for the head coaching position.
The probem is he'd likely become unavailable before we would be ready to hire him. You have to let your GM hire the coach so he's accountable for the decision.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
The probem is he'd likely become unavailable before we would be ready to hire him. You have to let your GM hire the coach so he's accountable for the decision.
It's a tricky situation for the Habs. On one hand, they should wait a while until the candidates they like who are currently employed with other NHL teams still in the playoffs are eliminated. On the other hand, if they do that, they may miss out on key opportunities (e.g. not having a GM in place in time to quickly snatch up great coaching candidates who will have unexpectedly become available, not having a GM in place early enough to conduct ongoing talks with other teams regarding swapping picks prior to the draft, etc.)

Old
04-14-2012, 10:25 AM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
The inmates run the asylum in Vancouver. Vigneault is not the answer. He has top talent, but cannot get his guys to peak at the right time. Chicago series last year should tell you everything you need to know about how over-rated of a coach he is. I do not touch Vigneault with a 10 foot pole. The media will eat him alive here with how he whines and makes excuses for his teams when they underperform.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Paul Fenton would be at the top of my list, his resume is extremely impressive and has considerable more hockey management experience than other candidates like Brisebois & Bergevin. I feel like 1 or 2 years as an assistant isn't enough to fully learn the role.
Brisebois has 9 years with the Habs (including 7 directly related to hockey operations - Including the role of VP Hockey Operations and Assistant GM) and 2 more years with Tampa Bay.....with both teams, Brisebois also served as GM of their affiliate....People here have categorized him as solely a numbers guy (CBA, cap, etc) but they speak without the benefit of knowledge. He has far more experience in all aspects of hockey than posters here give him the credit for.

Last edited by Sargent Pepper*: 04-14-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old
04-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
Anyone know how has Craig MacTavish done in the AHL?
Bob McKenzie has mentioned his name will come up for other teams, apparently he's doing a fine job in the AHL.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
The inmates run the asylum in Vancouver. Vigneault is not the answer. He has top talent, but cannot get his guys to peak at the right time. Chicago series last year should tell you everything you need to know about how over-rated of a coach he is. I do not touch Vigneault with a 10 foot pole. The media will eat him alive here with how he whines and makes excuses for his teams when they underperform.
That would'nt be a problem here.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:13 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Brisebois has 9 years with the Habs (including 7 directly related to hockey operations - Including the role of VP Hockey Operations and Assistant GM) and 2 more years with Tampa Bay.....with both teams, Brisebois also served as GM of their affiliate....People here have categorized him as solely a numbers guy (CBA, cap, etc) but they speak without the benefit of knowledge. He has far more experience in all aspects of hockey than posters here give him the credit for.
Fact: Brisebois has 2 years experience as an Assistant General Manager.

Fenton has three times as much experience. Fenton also has more experience than Brisebois in hockey operations.

More importantly, look at their current track record in the NHL, Brisebois & Yzerman failed pretty hard in their talent assesment this past year, kind of like how Gauthier failed hard this year.

He learnt the same broken model as Gauthier did under Gainey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
This may be true but the reality is, he would stillbe the best option at this point. We need to learn to have some success in the regular season and playoffs before we can win the Cup. Winning is about growing and he would help this core grow.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 04-14-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: merge
Old
04-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Habitualwinner

This is an excerpt from my previous post, forwarding the benefits of knowledge as provided to me by 2 ex-players:

"Ex-player #1 was in the Montreal organization for several years. Back in January, we talked about his perspective on the Habs organization. Here is what he shared:
1. Montreal runs their ECHL and AHL affiliates very professionally and they treat the players very well. Little things like providing game day meals in addition to giving them a cash per diem. This was in stark comparison to the other AHL affiliate he played for, where everything was done on the cheap.
2. Part of the problem in developing players is that there have been so many coaching changes,particularly at the AHL level, that it is difficult to imprint an organizational style that funnels appropriately to the NHL.
3. He had absolutely zero respect for Brisebois (this was January,2012 remember), who he called " a lawyer and pencil pusher, not a very good communicator" and that he had "no ability to assess hockey talent".
4. He said he was (personally) very well treated by Gainey, who actually helped him transition to another organization when it was clear he had no future with the Canadiens. He also said that even minor pro players too young to remember Gainey's career had instant respect for him because of his "presence" and the fact that he was a Hall-of-Famer. This is not an invitation to Gainey-bash...I am just passing along his perspective.

Ex-player#2 played in the NHL several years ago, NOT for the Habs. He remains well connected into the several organizations because he had a 10 year career in the NHL and AHL. As he is approximately 40 years old, many of his former teammates are now coaching and managing at the NHL,AHL and ECHL levels.

When I asked him last week about Brisebois, he said he would be an awful choice because JB would be: "Gauthier The Second". Independent of ex-player #1, he said " he is just not a hockey guy...he is a lawyer". Briseobois is viewed as not having much of a personality. The reason Yzerman brought him to Tampa Bay is that Stevie Y is "not a numbers guy" and the one thing JB has going for him is that he is a capologist.

I wish people would just move on from Brisebois. He is not the man for the job.
Basically any currently mentioned candidate OTHER than Brisebois would be preferable.

Former Player#1 told me last week that Brisebois negotiated in bad faith with 2 of his former teammates. In both cases these players were considering offers from other clubs (AHL and Europe) and needed an answer from Brisebois by a specific date. He promised to send offers to their agents with enough time to review options. Those offers came several days after their respective deadlines with $5-10,000 reductions from previous salaries. When you perform to expectations at a salary of $65,000 and you get cut to $55,000-$60,000 it leaves a bad taste. The tactics of Brisebois sound to me very "Gauthieresque".

Anyone but Brisebois please.

Closed Thread