HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Project your Nation's FIFA 2014 Brazil World Cup Squad (look back posts only)

Old
09-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eclipse View Post
Sakho one of the three best defenders in the world? lol go home.
In 3 years.
Learn to read.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Jaqen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
In 3 years.
Learn to read.
I know that you meant in three years genius, I still think it's an absurd claim.

Jaqen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Evilo

OK, then why?

Heck, how many Dmen in the history of the game have achieved what he has (20, has played 3 pro seasons as CB including 2 as starter and who is captain of his team which is favourite for the title in a top 5 league)?

Not many, not many.

Old
09-12-2011, 06:33 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
OK, then why?

Heck, how many Dmen in the history of the game have achieved what he has (20, has played 3 pro seasons as CB including 2 as starter and who is captain of his team which is favourite for the title in a top 5 league)?

Not many, not many.
That's a positive way to look at it. In reality, he's 21 while playing for a club, who, in those 3 years, finished 6th, 13th and 4th in the 5th best league in Europe. PSG is indeed among the heavy favorites now with all the acquisitions made this summer.

Last edited by Ajacied: 09-12-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Ajacied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajacied View Post
That's a positive way to look at it. In reality, he's 21 while playing for a club, who, in those 3 years, finished 6th, 13th and 4th in the 5th best league in Europe. PSG is indeed among the heavy favorites now with all the acquisitions made this summer.
And?
He has some national caps, he's 21, and he's captain of big pressure team (even more now).
Again, who has that pedigree?
RIGHT NOW, at 21, he's easily the best defenseman in a top 5 league.

Who are the top 5 Dmen right now? Among those, who had that pedigree at age 21?

Old
09-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Jungle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
What are people's hopes and expectations for Neymar in WC 2014?
People expect him to be like Messi, won't happen. there are two players that I expect to play really well in 2014, Leandro Damião and Ganso, once Mano get it right Brazil will be the best team again.

Jungle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:14 PM
gary69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
People expect him to be like Messi, won't happen. there are two players that I expect to play really well in 2014, Leandro Damião and Ganso, once Mano get it right Brazil will be the best team again.
I don't expect him to be Messi-like, but I could see him doing what Romario (who was an arrogant player and difficult person as well) did in 1994. I don't see why Pato-Neymar couldn't be a similarly productive strike partnership like Bebeto & Romario back then.

gary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Jaqen

Quote:
And?
He has some national caps, he's 21, and he's captain of big pressure team (even more now).

So basically, he's been a professional since he was 18 which is nothing uncommon and he's a starting defender for PSG, which is the simplified version of what you said without all the glossy glorifications. The only thing remotely special about his "pedigree" is that he's been starting for a couple of seasons at a young age and he's their captain. You dress up facts by saying things like "starting defender for the favourites (says you) to win a top 5 league". PSG are not a European giant, reinforcing that he's a starter for them doesn't really impress me.

Jaqen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Jungle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69 View Post
I don't expect him to be Messi-like, but I could see him doing what Romario (who was an arrogant player and difficult person as well) did in 1994. I don't see why Pato-Neymar couldn't be a similarly productive strike partnership like Bebeto & Romario back then.
I think it will be more like Ronaldinho/Rivaldo/R9 (Ganso/Neymar/Leandro Damião) trio in 2002.

Old
09-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eclipse View Post
So basically, he's been a professional since he was 18 which is nothing uncommon and he's a starting defender for PSG, which is the simplified version of what you said without all the glossy glorifications. The only thing remotely special about his "pedigree" is that he's been starting for a couple of seasons at a young age and he's their captain. You dress up facts by saying things like "starting defender for the favourites (says you) to win a top 5 league". PSG are not a European giant, reinforcing that he's a starter for them doesn't really impress me.
Actually, he played with PSG in Europa League at age 16.
At 17, he was named PSG's captain for a L1 game.
He became a starter in 2008 (age 18) and played 50 games last year for PSG (as well as 4 NT caps).

And again, you can turn things any way you want, starting for PSG is completely different from starting in Lorient or Valladolid (no knock against them). It's a high pressure team with high pressure media.

He's playing a position which is also high pressured and he's captain.

As I also said, he was during last season (started at age 20, finished at age 21) easily the best Dman in the league.

Laurent Blanc selected him and made him the third youngest defenseman to play with the NT in France's history. He also added rare praise :
Quote:
« Tout le monde est unanime, il a fait une très bonne saison, reprend Blanc. Il a été solide. Ce qui me plaît chez ce garçon, c'est qu'il est motivé pour progresser. C'est quelqu'un de travailleur, d'attentif, à l'écoute. Dans son club, il a déjà un statut de titulaire à part entière, même plus puisqu'il risque de prendre davantage de responsabilités la saison prochaine ».

Le futur capitaine du PSG est en effet en pleine ascension. « Ce qui est intéressant, c'est qu'il a 21 ans et une marge de progression très importante. Dans tous les domaines, notamment l'anticipation, la vision du jeu. Je trouve qu'il a progressé au niveau de sa relance. Sur l'homme, on sait que ça fait partie de ses qualités premières, mais je trouve qu'avec le ballon il cherche à bien relancer. Ca ne peut que me plaire ».

Sakho, lui, se montre «toujours serein» malgré l'agitation permanente autour de lui. Son sélectionneur lui fait confiance, et loue ses qualités. « Il va certainement avoir à confirmer la saison qu'il vient de faire, et il en a tout le potentiel. C'est un bon garçon, et puis comme je dis souvent, il a un gros avantage pour jouer en défense centrale : il est gaucher. Il y en a très peu dans l'axe ».
And yes, Blanc knows a thing or two about CB.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:01 AM
BMann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
I wouldn't want Gomez any where near my team the guy stinks.

As for Argentina, I don't know much about Sabella but I hope he plays a 4-3-3.

Andrada

Zanetti(Rojo)-Galeano-Pezzla-Tagliafico

Mascherno

Pastore ------------------- Lamela

Messi(captain)----Higuain----Aguero

Not sure about Rojo as right back, hopefully he or Tagliafico can adapt to that position. As for the 3 strikers I would want them to act as rovers ala Barca.
Sabella plays according to how the opposition set's up. Could be 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 etc etc.

He is a smart cookie.

Possible Argentina squad for 2014:

GK: Romero 27 Sampdoria,
Andrada 23 Lanus ,
D.Martinez 23 Arsenal (England)
DF: Ansaldi 26 Rubin Kazan,
Tagliafico 22 Banfield,
Quilez 22 Independiente,
Zabaleta 29, Manchester City
Musacchio 24 Villareal,
Silvestre 28 Palermo (vice captain),
Pezzella 23 River Plate,
F.Fernandez 23 Napoli
MF: Mascherano 29 Barcelona
Rinaudo 23 Sporting Clube de Lisbon
Pastore 25 Paris St-Germain
Lamela 22 AS Roma
di Maria 26 Real Madrid
Salvio 23 Atletico Madrid
Banega 26 Valencia CF

FW: Messi 26 Barcelona(captain)
Higuain 26 Real Madrid
Aguero 26 Manchester City
Osvaldo 25 AS Roma

Other notables that might make it in. Gago, Iturbe, Pereyra , Battaglia, Alexis Zarate, Lucas Ocampos, Iniguez and Federico Andrada among the youngsters.

---------------------------Andrada---------------------------------
Ansaldi-----------Musacchio-----Pezzella-----------Tagliafico-
------------------Mascherano----Banega--------------------------
---------------------------Pastore----------------------------------
---Messi----------------Higuain-------------------di Maria------

BMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 01:33 PM
gary69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
I think it will be more like Ronaldinho/Rivaldo/R9 (Ganso/Neymar/Leandro Damião) trio in 2002.
Wow, that's a pretty bold prediction.

So you believe from your years of watching football that two of those players will be World Player of the Year winners by the time 2014 comes around, basically meaning that they will be the best players in the world in 2012 and 2013.

For that to happen they would need to become the best players in la Liga/Premier League, and also lead their teams in winning the Champions league.

And the third player to be the best player in the world in four years time as well, surpassing the other two.

Again, wow, I just don't see the likes of Messi and Ronaldo going downhill that fast and I just don't rate the players you mentioned that high during the next three years.

From my decades of watching football, I feel much more comfortable of making a prediction that one of them might be World Player of the Year (like Romario was) by the time 2014 comes around and another could be a very good player like Bebeto (although not at the WPoY level).

gary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Jungle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69 View Post
Wow, that's a pretty bold prediction.

So you believe from your years of watching football that two of those players will be World Player of the Year winners by the time 2014 comes around, basically meaning that they will be the best players in the world in 2012 and 2013.

For that to happen they would need to become the best players in la Liga/Premier League, and also lead their teams in winning the Champions league.

And the third player to be the best player in the world in four years time as well, surpassing the other two.

Again, wow, I just don't see the likes of Messi and Ronaldo going downhill that fast and I just don't rate the players you mentioned that high during the next three years.

From my decades of watching football, I feel much more comfortable of making a prediction that one of them might be World Player of the Year (like Romario was) by the time 2014 comes around and another could be a very good player like Bebeto (although not at the WPoY level).
forget the player of the year award, I was not talking about that, I was thinking about team play. 1994 was a very d minded team counting only in Bebeto and Romario while in 2002 the team relied more on the chemistry between those 3 players.
BTW, I think Damião will get to R9 post 98 level, quite sure Ganso will have the kind of carreer Rivaldo had (if he stays healthy) and Neymar will be somewhere between Robinho and Ronaldinho Gaucho in his prime. This said, I´m quite sure that none of them will win the POY award just because of Messi.

Old
09-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
I support Croatia, I'm not too confident with whats going on over there. The national team used to have a cult status, now it seems like the players and more disappointingly the fans are caring less. By 2014 hopefully we will have a new manager and some youth will be put into the squad

The qualifying group is tough, especially because Serbia is in it and those games will be everything but soccer. I don't know which Belgium and Scotland will show up and Wales is not really a Pot 6 team, especially when they are healthy. It will be tough

Goalkeepers: Stipe Pletikosa, Ivan Kelava, Matej Delac
Stipe Pletikosa will be 35 by 2014 but if he still is playing at the club level I feel he could still be around, 35 is not too old for a GK. Ivan Kelava is the current Dinamo Zagreb #1, in three years he should already be abroad. Delac right now is the outside choice, he is a goalkeeper in the Chelsea youth team and right now only 18-19

Defenders: Vedran Corluka, Sime Vrsaljko, Dejan Lovren, Domagoj Vida, Ivan Strinic, Manuel Pamic, Renato Kelic
Absolute the weakest part of the team, had trouble even finding guys to fill 7 spots yet alone 8. Corluka to me is too lazy, Vrsaljko is a talent who could easily replace him. Lovren and Vida both are excellent CB prospects but still are prone to silly mistakes. They should only improve. Left back is a huge problem, we don't even have one at U21 level ().

Midfielders: Darijo Srna, Luka Modric, Ivan Rakitic, Niko Kranjcar, Milan Badelj, Ivo Ilicevic, Mato Jajalo, Ivan Perisic
Probably the best part of the team. Srna might be past it by 2014, don't know. Modric should be then be at a top club, while guys like Rakitic, Badelj, Ilicevic, Jajalo and Perisic will be in their primes. Only problem is none of these guys are DMCs, but Croatia have plenty especially in the youth ranks. So much depth in midfield, especially if they all develop

Forwards: Mario Mandzukic, Ante Vukusic, Nikola Kalinic, Nikica Jelavic, Eduardo
Not too thrilled with this crop and no real good strikers coming through the ranks. Mandzukic, Vukusic, Kalinic are on and off as strikers. Jelavic is scoring like crazy, but in a below par league (SPL), in three years hopefully he makes to jump to EPL to test him. Eduardo is still in the squad, but he isn't the same player

Coach: It really shouldn't be Bilic anymore, and I don't think he will stay. Unfortunately, most Croatian candidates stink but I feel it will be ex-Dinamo manager Branko Ivankovic (coached Iran at 2006 WC) or current Dinamo coach Kruno Jurcic. If they do go the foreign route, it will be some second rate guy like Lothar Mattheaus, Krasimir Balakov, Berti Vogts etc...
I would go with a team that looks something like this:

Kelava

Ćorluka Lovren Vida Vrsaljko

Vukojević

Srna (Iličević, Badelj) Kranjčar(Kovačić)

Modrić

Manđukić (Eduardo) Jelavić (Perišić)

Then you have Badelj, Strinić, Pamić, Ozobić (great talent), Iličević, Kovačić (the most talented Croatian player since Zvone Boban, some say the most talented ever), Perišić, Dudu, Vukušić, Jajalo, Ademi (who needs to improve, but he's a great potential at DMC), Rakitić on the bench and those are all pretty good players.

As for the coach part, I could see Cico Kranjčar returning to the bench, I'm not a big fan of Jurčić or Ivanković.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
And?

Pique didn't have that pedigree yet, but at 21 was a key piece in the best season of soccer's history by a single team (Barça's 08-09)

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:55 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

IF we qualify for the WC:

---------------------------Mbolhi---------------------------------
Camaduro------------------Bougherra---Halliche------------------Mesbah
---------------------------Yebda/Guedioura-------------Lacen
Boudebouz---------------
--------- Matmour ------ Djebbour

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
Pique didn't have that pedigree yet, but at 21 was a key piece in the best season of soccer's history by a single team (Barça's 08-09)
That's funny you say that because if you search the archives, I was extremely high on Pique when he couldn't make it with ManU and everyone was down on him (when he was around 18-19).
Look like I was right then.

Well, I can make the same bet with Sakho, eyes closed. Not even an hesitation on my part. He's special.

Old
09-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
That's funny you say that because if you search the archives, I was extremely high on Pique when he couldn't make it with ManU and everyone was down on him (when he was around 18-19).
Look like I was right then.

Well, I can make the same bet with Sakho, eyes closed. Not even an hesitation on my part. He's special.
You have archives from years ago? Are they in your link? I'm interested to see what you were predicting for now older guys as well!

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Evilo

Look in the prospect thread to have old lists.
As for that discussion, I guess using the search tool, but I have no idea...

Here's what I wrote 6 years ago :
Quote:
The best spanish prospect is IMO Fabregas, with Pique second. And on your list they're much too low compared with Iniesta and Ramos.
That was a response to Helicecopter's list which featued the best prospects at the time.

Old
04-13-2012, 01:17 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajacied View Post
Keep an eye out for Viktor Fischer, who will be 19 by then. Amazing talent..
NOT to bump, but THIS!!!

Geesh, this kid is ridicoulously talented, he reminds me SO much of Preben Elkjaer, if anyone remembers him

In the NEXT GEN series, which is the U19's equivalent to Champions league, Fischer scored 2 and assisted 1 in a 3-0 quater final win over FCB.

Then proceeds to score 3, assist 2, and get a penalty in a 6-0 semi final win over Liverpool FC.

Not that Youtube videos are any justification, I just have to share this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2SIe...feature=relmfu

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 04-14-2012 at 02:51 AM.
ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingNuck View Post
In the NEXT GEN series, which is the U19's equivalent to Champions league, Fischer scored 3 and assisted 1 in a 3-0 quater final win over FCB.
Wow, that's unbelievable.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:42 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Wow, that's unbelievable.
He passed the ball, ran over and got the ball from the pass and then slotted it home. DUH!!!!

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:21 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
He passed the ball, ran over and got the ball from the pass and then slotted it home. DUH!!!!
He's just THAT good

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingNuck View Post
He's just THAT good

Let's hope !

Old
06-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Matty K

Thought I would bump this thread

What do Posters think their Nations Squads will look like now come time 2014 in Brazil?

Matty K is offline   Reply With Quote