HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Anybody concerned about the big picture?

Old
04-14-2012, 07:18 AM
ONTHEFLYGUY

vCash: 500
Anybody concerned about the big picture?

Not to rain on anyone's parade and I'm as big of a flyers fan as it gets but if the flyers are going to raise Lord Stanley, some things are going to have to change. I know a team shouldnt look ahead, you have to take it one day at a time, but this team has some major weaknesses right now. Can they be fixed?

ONTHEFLYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:37 AM
JVR21
G

Maybe so, but it's a little bit ridiculous to be overly concerned when you're up 2-0 against the Cup favorite.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Eric Lindros

You definitely have a point. Giving up the starts they have and the goals they have is a disappointment.

But I think you need to look at them in the context of the games played. Both games the Flyers fell behind early, and had to play catch-up. That leads to a wide open system where you score a bunch of goals and give up a bunch of goals. I think their system would be tighter if they didn't keep falling behind early.

I think the most encouraging things are the balanced scoring we're getting and the team skating. When the whole team is skating hard, you're winning playoff games, and I think this team has the youth and athleticism to out-skate other teams.

I also feel confident that sooner or later, we're going to see the Bryz that we saw in March, and we're going to win a game 3-1 or 2-0. Maybe not against the Pens though... matching their style is causing crazy high scoring games.

Eric Lindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:56 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Wake up earlier? They can't always let opponent 2-0 or 3-0 ahead before starting playing...

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:57 AM
SgtJoseph

I learned many years ago [been a flyers fan since 1967] not to get too high or too low when it comes to sports and other things as well....Need to just pull hard for your club to do well and try to enjoy the ride without BLAMING players each time things don't go well, or when they make a mistake etc,,,,Its a team game and we win and lose as a team..
Having said that, i have been saying ALL year that this team has as good a chance as any other team to get to the finals.....Well coached, nice mix of rookies and veterans, a goalie who is MUCH better than many on here think......and a tremendous fan base that loves the team.....Just need to keep a steady hand on the rudder and work our way through the rough seas ahead and stay positive....This is a tremendous hockey team, and absolutely fun to watch !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

I think this is just what this series is, constant back and forth, no defense messes. Two offenses in the top 3, a very overrated Pens defense, and a very banged up Flyers defense. If the Flyers should close this series out I think you will see a tighter defense in the next round. This is just both highly scoring teams unloading their respective arsenals.

The early leads though is very concerning, that needs to end Sunday.

Maybe Pittsburgh should let us have a 2-0/3-0 lead to see what happens.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:02 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Yep, keep those walls up somewhat... otherwise you are gonna have a loooooooooong summer.

I don't really think we will take the cup this year with the injuries and defense we have, but next year.... we better win it.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Definitely concerned about matchup with the Rags or Bs, as there will not be many high scoring games.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

And Bryz's uneven play

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:34 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
And Bryz's uneven play
I think Bryz has been outstanding.......Gotta remember the Pens are the #1 offense in the league playing against a banged up Flyers Defense ? He certainly would like to have a few back [like every other goalie] but he has been HUGE when called upon.....Absolutely HUGE !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:36 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
A win is a win. I don't care if they go down 15-0 every game if they get the win in the end. Yeah it isn't good policy to get behind early, but it obviously doesn't phase them (see: the last two months).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:51 AM
ONTHEFLYGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Maybe so, but it's a little bit ridiculous to be overly concerned when you're up 2-0 against the Cup favorite.
Overly concerned? The bruins, the rangers are much better defensive squads in my opinion then Pitt! I doubt we mount huge comebacks every game against those squads. Are defense needs to get much better if we want to go far.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:53 AM
ONTHEFLYGUY

Also, if we move on and get jvr and mez back, does it mess up chemistry? Do they show to much rust? What's your take?

Old
04-14-2012, 09:56 AM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Yes, I am concerned. Sam Donnellon had a good idea on DNL yesterday or Thursday. He said like the first couple seconds in Lavy should call his timeout and ream them out and get them going then.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:57 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTHEFLYGUY View Post
Also, if we move on and get jvr and mez back, does it mess up chemistry? Do they show to much rust? What's your take?
If anything I hope they can ignite better starts. Rest of team follows suit.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:59 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
Yes, I am concerned. Sam Donnellon had a good idea on DNL yesterday or Thursday. He said like the first couple seconds in Lavy should call his timeout and ream them out and get them going then.
I'd be concerned with this only for the fact of having a close game and needing a breather towards the end of a period/shift, what have you..

They need to skate the first 10 mins of the game... I am hoping the crowd in Philly will push them to that. Keep the spirits up and not get down or frustrated.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:53 PM
phlocky

Hmmm. If the Preds lose to the Wings then I think Suter is gone and Weber the year after. I'd try and swing a deal with them for Weber & the rights to Suter for JVR + Meszaros + our 1st. Sign Weber for 8 mil, offer Suter 2 mil for one year with the promise of an 8 mil contract after next season when we can give him Timonens money after he retires. The money we currently have allocated to JVR and Mesz for next year will pay for Weber with a little left over. The cap is going up to close to 70 mil & that should be enought for Suter @ 2 mil and Voracek @ 3.5 mil

Presto! Offense stays intact (we are winning now without JVR so he's not missed) and the defense is instantly fixed & the best in the league.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Damaged Goods

^ Just stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Definitely concerned about matchup with the Rags or Bs, as there will not be many high scoring games.
Root hard for the Caps or the Sens to pull an upset in Round 1 so we are guaranteed to draw the winner of the Panthers-Devils series.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:18 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

OP =

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:33 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTHEFLYGUY View Post
Not to rain on anyone's parade and I'm as big of a flyers fan as it gets but if the flyers are going to raise Lord Stanley, some things are going to have to change. I know a team shouldnt look ahead, you have to take it one day at a time, but this team has some major weaknesses right now. Can they be fixed?
I have concerns about the way they have been going about winning at the end of the reg season and now with the first 2 games, as this stuff has the great potential to bite them on the rear if Pittsburgh remembers how to play defense and Fleury plays better. Furthermore, it really wouldn't appear to have any hope of succeeding against the Rangers or Bruins (likely opponent if they win this series).

However, as I had no realistic expectations that this year's Flyers would make it out of the first round, I'm pretty placid about it. Let them sort out the long-term plans with Pronger, look for a top Dman in the off-season, and build on this unexpected success with a rookie-filled line-up and a (seemingly) revitalized Bryzgalov.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Xegiie

if bob was in the net we would be down by 2 matches imo

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:57 PM
MsWoof

I think I'll worry after this round. But yeah, the defensive game of the entire team needs to be tightened up because I don't think 8 goals will be scored on Lundqvist.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:11 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Yep, keep those walls up somewhat... otherwise you are gonna have a loooooooooong summer.

I don't really think we will take the cup this year with the injuries and defense we have, but next year.... we better win it.
Wow. Just Wow. Big fan are you?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Big Picture should be enjoy this series.

Cause when its time to play Boston or the Rangers it will be a different tune.

With Pronger's injury and Kimmo's huge regression in play we don't have the personnel to really be strong down low.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Wow. Just Wow. Big fan are you?
Because the only way to be a fan is to be blindly optimistic and drink the kool-aid?

I'm not saying we don't have a chance this year, but at some point the injuries on D are going to catch up to us.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote