HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany

Germany at U18 WC

Old
04-12-2012, 03:15 PM
zecke26

vCash: 500
Germany at U18 WC

i thought we might as well start an own thread for the tournament.

germany lost the first game against sweden 1-8.

but i was positively surprised about the team. while they look a sloppy on defense and have trouble getting the puck out of the zone, they play well along the boards in the offensive zone and create some good chances.

watching draisaitl is a pleasure.

as i said in the other thread, i think the is a weaker team than usual. but after this game i'm a bit more positive. sweden is just unreal with some of their guys.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
i thought we might as well start an own thread for the tournament.

germany lost the first game against sweden 1-8.

but i was positively surprised about the team. while they look a sloppy on defense and have trouble getting the puck out of the zone, they play well along the boards in the offensive zone and create some good chances.

watching draisaitl is a pleasure.

as i said in the other thread, i think the is a weaker team than usual. but after this game i'm a bit more positive. sweden is just unreal with some of their guys.
The stream finally started working for me in the third period so I don't know about the rest of the game, but a few things I noticed:

- There are some decent skaters like Kahun, Ziegler or Kurth on the team. There were more, but sometimes I had trouble identifying the players, so I will refrain from naming more.
- Draisaitl on the other hand looked a little awkward, and his first step was painfully slow at times (but maybe he was just tired at that point). The rest of his game however, I liked very much. He seemed strong on his skates and had some nice plays that indicated a good vision.
- Too many stupid penalties.
- I liked the effort of the whole team to try to create something offensively instead of just sitting back and trying to keep the score close
- Klein didn't look too good in goal, but it was a very difficult game for him, since he faced a lot of quality shots, because the team would continue to play offensively. Still I would not be surprised to see Cüpper in goal against Russia.
- I like the fact that a lot of these guys will be eligible to play again next year. Hopefully they will get a chance to play again at this level. With the experience from this year under their belt, it could be a pretty good team, then.

Maverick41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:24 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
- There are some decent skaters like Kahun, Ziegler or Kurth on the team. There were more, but sometimes I had trouble identifying the players, so I will refrain from naming more.
i think it was klöpper who had a breakaway because of his first step. his acceleration looked amazing. pretty unusual for a german.

Quote:
- Draisaitl on the other hand looked a little awkward, and his first step was painfully slow at times (but maybe he was just tired at that point). The rest of his game however, I liked very much. He seemed strong on his skates and had some nice plays that indicated a good vision.
his hands i like. he has hands to dangle. his skating though is indeed not at the level where it should be.

Quote:
- Too many stupid penalties.
is that a nickname for raphael kaefer? his penalties were the results of being lazy. not exactly the penalties i expect from a guy who was a regular in 3rd-tier.

Old
04-12-2012, 05:21 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

I didn't get to watch the full game because of class (will watch the replay) but Draisaitl had a 10 second sequence of some dirty dangles. He looked good the couple of shifts I got to see. Will be great to watch him grow and play U-18 again next year and U-20 in the future.

sturmthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:53 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmthis View Post
I didn't get to watch the full game because of class (will watch the replay) but Draisaitl had a 10 second sequence of some dirty dangles. He looked good the couple of shifts I got to see. Will be great to watch him grow and play U-18 again next year and U-20 in the future.
Yes, if he finds a way to improve his skating, he could become an amazing player, but that area of his game definitely needs more work than the rest.

Also love his passing at times, and you could see that he and Kahun have some great chemistry.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:19 AM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

U-18 team just beat Russia 4-2!

I think Cüpper will be the starter from now on. 40 saves on 42 shots - .952 sv%

Goals from Kurth (2) , Bender, F. Tiffels -- Assists Palausch (2), Draisaitl (2)

Replay of game:
Germany vs Russia

Story on the game:

Germany posts huge upset

Last edited by sturmthis: 04-14-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old
04-16-2012, 02:48 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Well Germany lost 5-4 to Latvia today, but all hope isn't lost. Russia won vs Switzerland, which makes the standings look like this.

Sweden - 9pts
Russia - 6pts
Latvia - 6pts
Germany - 3pts
Switzerland - 0pts

April 17th Games
Sweden vs Russia
Germany vs Switzerland

Germany needs to win in regulation and Russia needs to lose in regulation and this will allow them to get into the quarter-finals.

Here is how:

Russia, Latvia and Germany would have 6 pts in this scenario.

IIHF Rules on Ties

Should three or more teams be tied on points, then a tie breaking formula will be applied as follows, creating a sub-group amongst the tied teams. This process will continue until only two teams remain tied. The game between the two remaining tied teams would then be the determining tie-breaker as the game between these two teams could not end as a tie.

Step 1:
Taking into consideration the games between each of the tied teams, a sub-group is created applying the points awarded in the direct games amongst the tied teams from which the teams are then ranked accordingly.

Direct Games
Germany 4 - Russia 2
Germany 4 - Latvia 5
Russia 6 - Latvia 1

Each team has 3 points from direct games, which means we go to step 2.

Step 2:
Should the teams still remain tied then the better goal difference in the direct games amongst the tied teams will be decisive.

Goal difference in Direct Games
Russia + 3
Germany + 1
-----------------------------------
Latvia - 4

Last edited by sturmthis: 04-16-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old
04-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Latgale_fan

Here's hope Russia wins Sweden. You can beat Switzerland, I have nothing against you guys

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:45 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
Here's hope Russia wins Sweden. You can beat Switzerland, I have nothing against you guys
I wish both Latvia and Germany could make it over the normal teams to make it.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:30 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Klein is in net and Germany is up 4-0 after 1. They need to keep the pressure on and finish this game strong. Sweden beat Russia 2-0, so part 1 is completed. Germany just needs to keep it up.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Maverick41

Quote:
Klein is in net and Germany is up 4-0 after 1. They need to keep the pressure on and finish this game strong. Sweden beat Russia 2-0, so part 1 is completed. Germany just needs to keep it up.
I loved the Eisenschmid-Kahun-Draisaitl line. Not that the others were bad, but damn can these guys play.

There were enough chances to make it at least 6-0. But as you say, they must keep the pressure up. There is no such thing as a safe lead in hockey.

Old
04-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Maverick41

The second period, was not very good.
Fortunately the Swiss team seems plainly too weak to get back into the game.

In the end Ziegler scored to make it 5-0, and hopefully this will be enough.

Old
04-17-2012, 02:35 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
The second period, was not very good.
Fortunately the Swiss team seems plainly too weak to get back into the game.

In the end Ziegler scored to make it 5-0, and hopefully this will be enough.
Terrible period, but still they scored. I think this lead is enough. I wouldn't mind another 2-3 goals though.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:02 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

6-2 win. Going to the quarterfinals!

Old
04-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Maverick41

Quote:
Terrible period, but still they scored. I think this lead is enough. I wouldn't mind another 2-3 goals though.
There were 3 more goals, but two of them for the Swiss.

Hopefully Palausch is going to be alright.

Old
04-17-2012, 05:05 PM
zecke26

so after 4 games, i still don't feel comfortable with either goalie. i still believe the best option is only #3 at the moment.

the 95er are amazing. it's not only their skill, they word hard every shift. it's obvious that they really enjoy being part of this tournament. not only draisaitl, kahun and eisenschmid, but also bender and moser impress me.

the 94er are so-so. i think kurth looks good, but he can do more. he should be the best of the older guys.
and some guys are completely useless. the only times i notice klopper is when he turned over the puck again. pretty disappointing. and kaefer i only remember for his penalties.

in general i'm very surprised they made the quarterfinal, but thanks to hard work and a good nose for the net they deserved it.

on a side note: the swiss team today was probably the worst swiss national team in all age groups i've seen the past 15 years or so. that was shocking.

Old
04-17-2012, 05:17 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Ranked #2 in scoring after the first 4 games as the 5th youngest player.

2 DRAISAITL Leon 15 GER F 4 2 5 7 2 +2

Old
04-17-2012, 05:57 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Quote:
so after 4 games, i still don't feel comfortable with either goalie. i still believe the best option is only #3 at the moment.

the 95er are amazing. it's not only their skill, they word hard every shift. it's obvious that they really enjoy being part of this tournament. not only draisaitl, kahun and eisenschmid, but also bender and moser impress me.

the 94er are so-so. i think kurth looks good, but he can do more. he should be the best of the older guys.
and some guys are completely useless. the only times i notice klopper is when he turned over the puck again. pretty disappointing. and kaefer i only remember for his penalties.

in general i'm very surprised they made the quarterfinal, but thanks to hard work and a good nose for the net they deserved it.

on a side note: the swiss team today was probably the worst swiss national team in all age groups i've seen the past 15 years or so. that was shocking.
I feel the same way about the goalies, but I think Cüpper will get the start on Thursday. I can't wait to see this team next year. It was important for them to stay in the top division for next year and they have already passed the expectations for me.

Old
04-17-2012, 06:45 PM
ktf

Send a message via MSN to ktf
Quote:
Ranked #2 in scoring after the first 4 games as the 5th youngest player.

2 DRAISAITL Leon 15 GER F 4 2 5 7 2 +2
I was very impressed by him. The second goal he scored was a big league shot. He isn't draft eligible until 2014. If things pan out well I can see him getting drafted quite high. Would he go to Canadian major junior?

Like Eisenschmid a ton as well. The 95's give me some great hope

ktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 06:54 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktf View Post
I was very impressed by him. The second goal he scored was a big league shot. He isn't draft eligible until 2014. If things pan out well I can see him getting drafted quite high. Would he go to Canadian major junior?

I haven't heard anything either way for him going or not going over to play CHL. I would think he would spend at least the next 2 seasons in Germany. Likely playing 2. Bundesliga next year plus U18 and U20.

Old
04-17-2012, 07:00 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktf View Post

if my sources are correct (not 100% sure) eisenschmid plans to go to NA in 2013.
nothing heard about draisaitl yet.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:50 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Quote:
if my sources are correct (not 100% sure) eisenschmid plans to go to NA in 2013.
nothing heard about draisaitl yet.
Found an article from the U17 tournament back in December. Draisaitl had this to say,
Quote:
In fact, Draisaitl admits he may have outgrown his country in terms of hockey challenges at his age. He has seen the success other German prospects such as former Windsor Spitfire Thomas Kuhnhackl, Kitchener's Tobby Rieder and Portland's Marcel Noebels have had in coming to North America to pursue their dreams.

“Yes (I want to play in the NHL),” Draisaitl said. “That's my goal.

“It's a dream to come here to play. Maybe I have to go to Canada after this year.”
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...tar-ca-5915867

Old
04-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Sanderson

Not sure if this is the right time for him. Kühnhackl, Rieder and Noebels were all much older then him when they went over. The only one who was of somewhat comparable age was Latta, and that didn't turn out so well.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:37 AM
Maverick41

I 'd like to add some of my thoughts to the discussion.

I have read that Eisenschmid will stay in Germany at least one more year.

Draisaitl I think will also stay another year and maybe go to NA after next season.

As far as the goalie situation goes. I think I lean a bit towards Cüpper. He was great against Russia while facing some quality shots and had also some nice saves against Latvia, where his Defense really left him out to dry.
Klein face a similar fate against Sweden and at the ende against Switzerland, but I did not see as many good saves from him.
Unfortunately I have never seen Kevin Reich play, so I cannot tell if he might have been the best option.

Among the 94s I like Ziegler the most so far. A lot of energy, a good skater and he tries to create something every time he steps on the ice.

But of course Draisaitl, Kahun and Eisenschmid have been the most impressive forwards while Bender and especially Möser stood out among the Defensemen, although I also like Quinlan. That little guy is not afraid of anything or anyone. But I don't see him becoming a great defensemen unless he has a growth spurt soon.

Other Notables for me are the Tiffels brothers. Dominik had some nice plays in the defensive zone and some great passes, while Frederik at times just skated circles around the opposing players. But both have not been consistent enough for my liking.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:34 AM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
Not sure if this is the right time for him. Kühnhackl, Rieder and Noebels were all much older then him when they went over. The only one who was of somewhat comparable age was Latta, and that didn't turn out so well.
I have been reading an article by the IIHF about European players and the CHL and how it makes the argument it is better for a majority of prospects to stay in Europe and how the argument of getting used to the different ice size is becoming less and less relevant because of international tournaments. Furthermore it goes on to talk about how practice time is more important for players at the ages of 12-20 and they are able to get a lot more practice time in Europe with the smaller schedules and a lot less travel.

I want the talent to stay in Germany until they are ready for the NHL. Too much young talent has already left the last 3 years. Sturm, Goc, Hecht, Ehrhoff, Seidenberg are all successful NHL players who stayed 2+ years playing in the DEL before coming over. All of those players played NHL games in their first year in North America. Our top prospects staying in Germany hasn't killed their potential, so I think they should stay and keep the talent level higher until they can be a NHL player.

http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u...IIHF_Study.pdf