Marlins suspend Ozzie Guillen 5 games

Old
04-10-2012, 09:34 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

vCash: 500
Marlins suspend Ozzie Guillen 5 games

...and Cubans came here for freedom, right?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/77...ded-five-games

The Miami Marlins have suspended manager Ozzie Guillen for five games for comments he made in which he expressed admiration for Cuban leader Fidel Castro.

04-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I can't find it anywhere, only articles saying he intended to apologize for his comments but I can't find the actual comments themselves. Anyone know what he actually said?

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:01 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pyatt View Post
I can't find it anywhere, only articles saying he intended to apologize for his comments but I can't find the actual comments themselves. Anyone know what he actually said?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julio-...b_1413879.html

Quote:
"I love Fidel Castro" and "I respect Fidel Castro. You know why? A lot of people have wanted to kill Fidel Castro for the last 60 years, but that [expletive] is still here." That is Ozzie being Ozzie.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

On one hand it's America and he can say whatever he wants. No matter how stupid/offensive it is. On the other hand its Miami where there are tons of Cubans. This probably wouldn't be as big of a deal in any other city.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:22 AM
PanthersPens62
#KidK

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
On one hand it's America and he can say whatever he wants. No matter how stupid/offensive it is. On the other hand its Miami where there are tons of Cubans. This probably wouldn't be as big of a deal in any other city.
Ding ding ding – we have a winner! The Marlins built the new park smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood called Little Havana and their marketing is geared almost 100% to the Cuban/Latino community. Almost everything you see in the stadium is in Spanish (menus, ticket booths etc.). If you are a gringo like me, you are a minority in Miami. So the Marlins had to take some sort of action to try & calm some of the furor down. As it is, people are still calling for his head. If you want to understand better, go to ESPN.com and find a clip from Dan LeBatard yesterday, who explained this way better than I can. I am at work now so I can’t link it for you, sorry.

PanthersPens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:41 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

LeBatard made good points, you're right.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:44 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
Very big difference between freedom of speech and freedom of consequence.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Was watching on CNN and he just goes up there and breaks out in Spanish

My Spanish isn't that good, chief, you're going to have to apologize in English

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:50 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post

The apology wasn't for you, though. It was for those who spanish is most likely their 1st language.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

I hope he apologized later

CNN had to cut away and they said they would try to translate it and then I went to class

Old
04-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

As a Cuban-American who lives in Miami I can say that the people making a fuzz about it are basically a vocal minority made up of conservative older Cuban populations...any intelligent person understands that his voicing his opinion just like anyone else exercising his rights in a free country...nevertheless what was Ozzie thinking when he made those comments? Rather insensitive

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Like HF, there is freedom of speech, but you can't just go out there and blurt anything out. There are standards. If you say something controversial, you will face strong criticism.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:55 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

He said he was admiring him for NOT BEING KILLED when A LOT OF PEOPLE want him dead, he never PRAISED the regime... I understand why it makes some people mad, but IMO, it is much noise about nothing.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Should just apologize and move on

The calls for his ouster are too harsh

Old
04-10-2012, 12:11 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

If this is happening only a week into the season in his first season, I can only expect Ozzie to say more dumb things at some point.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

I still don't think he will make it through this. I don't see the Cuban community letting up anytime soon.

His comments were ignorant and insulting to a large percentage of the paying customers in his market. Le Batard's comments on ESPN were spot on, try finding anyone of Cuban descent in Miami who hasn't had their lives or the lives of someone close to them effected by this man's barbaric dictatorship.

If Marge Schott didn't survive her disgusting comments about Hitler, Ozzie shouldn't survive this one. And before anyone mentions it, I realize Hitler was a far worse person as far as number of deaths, but as DLB said, Castro is just as much a villian to the Cuban community as Hitler or Stalin to the rest of us.

And finally, this is not a freedom of speech issue. No one is saying Ozzie should be prosecuted or jailed for his comments (like you can in Cuba for saying things). But freedom of speech does not guarantee you from not facing the consequences of potentially losing your job if you say something stupid.

Sorry Ozzie.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Guillen is a media lightning rod and never met a microphone he didn't like, so in many respects the comments are in the vein one would expect of him, complete with the minimal forethought into how his comments would be interpreted after the fact.

On the other hand, that's a special market, and anything pro-Castro is absolutely toxic in the Cuban-American community. He has to now demonstrate extraordinary contrition (he is actually quite good at this) and the organization needs to show it realizes the serious nature of the topic, and levy some degree of punishment; Guillen will realize that too.

To an extent, going through the typical motions will see it die down, but a good chunk of the community in Miami is never going to forgive him for this. At some point, when the front office is debating his future, the degree to which he is loved/reviled will be a factor. When that happens (days, weeks, months, years, etc.) is harder to pin down. Might not last the week.

Hell of a time for it with the new re-branding of the team and the new park.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post

The first ten minutes or so were in English from what I heard on the radio.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:09 PM
PanthersPens62
#KidK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Guillen is a media lightning rod and never met a microphone he didn't like, so in many respects the comments are in the vein one would expect of him, complete with the minimal forethought into how his comments would be interpreted after the fact.

On the other hand, that's a special market, and anything pro-Castro is absolutely toxic in the Cuban-American community. He has to now demonstrate extraordinary contrition (he is actually quite good at this) and the organization needs to show it realizes the serious nature of the topic, and levy some degree of punishment; Guillen will realize that too.

To an extent, going through the typical motions will see it die down, but a good chunk of the community in Miami is never going to forgive him for this. At some point, when the front office is debating his future, the degree to which he is loved/reviled will be a factor. When that happens (days, weeks, months, years, etc.) is harder to pin down. Might not last the week.

Hell of a time for it with the new re-branding of the team and the new park.
This post pretty much hits the nail on the head. I am going to the games Friday & Sunday so I will be able to tell you all how much, if at all, this has died down because as of now they still expect protestors.

Meantime, for anyone who has time on thier hands, I am going to post a link to a popular Marlins message board I lurk at, where this has been debated ad nauseum since this all came to light. You will get a very accurate feel for the emotions & the culture divide that exists here. Had this linked thread appeared on HF, it would have been shut down days ago LOL! Get some popcorn & enjoy.

http://forums.marlinsbaseball.com/to...ended-5-games/

Old
04-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Ozzie being Ozzie

He made a terrible judgement ,, You could say this type of #### in Chicago because we have a small Cuban community and the rest of city could give a rats ### about Cuba (Really effects us in no way)

Poor move Ozzie ,, I expect that once he has the Marlins fighting for playoff spot that the rage and anger will go away

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:36 AM
76ftw

^ Cuba doesn't effect Miami either, it's just crazies who think it does

But in all seriousness I can understand why (for popularity's sake) the Marlins did this, I guess. I don't agree with the act, but I understand it.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post
Ding ding ding – we have a winner! The Marlins built the new park smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood called Little Havana and their marketing is geared almost 100% to the Cuban/Latino community. Almost everything you see in the stadium is in Spanish (menus, ticket booths etc.). If you are a gringo like me, you are a minority in Miami. So the Marlins had to take some sort of action to try & calm some of the furor down. As it is, people are still calling for his head. If you want to understand better, go to ESPN.com and find a clip from Dan LeBatard yesterday, who explained this way better than I can. I am at work now so I can’t link it for you, sorry.
Is that really his name? It literally means Dan The *******.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:30 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Is that really his name? It literally means Dan The *******.
Dan The Censored Word.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Dan The Censored Word.
I'm thinking it means drop the "Le" and add a S between the 1st A and the T.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:47 AM
PanthersPens62
#KidK

I am pleased to report there were no protestors at Marlins Park from what I could see. Though that could change Tuesday when Ozzie returns. There were 6,000 or so empty seats, but that could be a combination of a rainy day (yeah the roof was closed but still...), the Panthers 1st home playoff game in 12 years, a Heat game & the fact that Houston has a player named Jason CASTRO!