Notices

How is Scheifele looking?

Old
04-08-2012, 08:05 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
So even if he is more then ready, TNSE is doing the wrong thing by having him on the Jets next year? I don't get this, "philosophy". If he's ready, he's ready. If he's not, he's not. It's that simple. Depends on how training camp goes, the pre-season, how his overall skating and strength has improved.

Agree with the first bolded.

With regards to the #2 center spot, it's someone's to win next season as of now whether that's Burmi, Antro, or Scheifele. But what I don't understand is why people are discrediting Burmi so much and treating him like he can't improve. I mean, he is only 20 years old.
I don't think anyone is saying that he can't improve. I think most people me included hope that he works hard this summer and comes in next year able to better handle the physical play. His decision making is something that will hopefully come as he plays more games. I also don't want to see him handed the 2nd line spot next year as he didn't show nearly enough in his audition at the end of the year. If he comes and earns it, good for him, another year in junior won't hurt Scheifele.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:59 PM
dpenner

i was at the Colts 67s playoff game today, Colts won 3-2 in double OT, was a pretty good game some thoughts:

Sheifele: played pretty good, was the third star with 1g and 1a, had a laser wrist shot picking a corner was a beauty goal, forced a turnover on the pk and fed Telegin for a sh goal, was a one man pk in the first two periods just wreaking havoc, made a ton of great plays with his stick breaking up rushes passes and shots, still doesn't have great speed, skating looked average out there but his sense, skill, and work ethic made him better, was getting bodied hard by junior guys still not nearly strong enough but that will come, took a big hit into the boards and slapper in the leg which saw him slow to get up and off the bench but stayed in the game, i know its one game but thats what i saw

Telegin on the other hand was the complete opposite, great speed, physical, more physically mature, also has a wicked shot but turned the puck over a lot and tried breaking into the 67s zone to many times by himself, reminded me of evander kane,

last note, Colts honestly looked like one line and a goalie, the other three lines got dominated and the line of sheifele, telegin, and behenna were responsible for all 3 goals, the goalie niederberger was phenomenal, had 65 saves in the win, they were outshot like 67-37 to,

Last edited by dpenner: 04-08-2012 at 09:18 PM.
dpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
So even if he is more then ready, TNSE is doing the wrong thing by having him on the Jets next year? I don't get this, "philosophy". If he's ready, he's ready. If he's not, he's not. It's that simple. Depends on how training camp goes, the pre-season, how his overall skating and strength has improved.

Agree with the first bolded.

With regards to the #2 center spot, it's someone's to win next season as of now whether that's Burmi, Antro, or Scheifele. But what I don't understand is why people are discrediting Burmi so much and treating him like he can't improve. I mean, he is only 20 years old.
I don't think it's so much that we discredit Burmi, but rather we don't know about Scheifele. If anyone was asked it would appear that Scheifele is being groomed for #1 C and Burmi for #2, obviously with their ages that can go completely differently in time. It's just that is the way it looks. Burmi didn't run away with the extra ice time when he got it like we hoped. Can he next year? Absolutely, the best years of his career are ahead of him. We just don't know what Scheifele will bring and if there's "potential" especially with prospects people will usually be very hopeful with how that prospect will do. Just pure optimism, but that's always the way it works.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:27 AM
teucer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
There's really no definites here. Let's be honest he almost cracked the roster last fall. He's clearly taken steps forward this year and a lot can happen over a summer.

This team has a #2 center spot open as neither Antropov or Burmistrov were able to cement themselves to it. That alone would be good enough to start.

You also can't expect them to give him the #1 spot right off the bat. That pretty much never happens. He could go through another year, and then another in the AHL and they still would probably start him as #2 and have to work up.

I think that roster spot come this fall is his to lose.
He almost cracked the roster because all our guys were in a slump with training camp and getting into their surroundings. Scheifele was good but I still don't want to rush him regardless.

As for my #1 comment, I meant we want him to be like a #1 when he is done developing. I personally don't think he would fit on the 2nd line with Kane tbh.

I know that pretty much every prospect is put into 3rd line and they have to work themselves up.

teucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:49 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I know we compare Burmi a lot to Datsyuk, but I think he shares more similarities with Datsyuk's teammate Valtteri Filppula.

I think Burmi will eventually become a 20-45-65 point defensive center. However, I also think it's going to take him longer to reach his potential (like Filppula) because he played in the NHL before he was ready.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:44 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Thats what I am looking for Burmistrov too. 20-40 seems very possible for him.

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:30 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post
i was at the Colts 67s playoff game today, Colts won 3-2 in double OT, was a pretty good game some thoughts:

Sheifele: played pretty good, was the third star with 1g and 1a, had a laser wrist shot picking a corner was a beauty goal, forced a turnover on the pk and fed Telegin for a sh goal, was a one man pk in the first two periods just wreaking havoc, made a ton of great plays with his stick breaking up rushes passes and shots, still doesn't have great speed, skating looked average out there but his sense, skill, and work ethic made him better, was getting bodied hard by junior guys still not nearly strong enough but that will come, took a big hit into the boards and slapper in the leg which saw him slow to get up and off the bench but stayed in the game, i know its one game but thats what i saw

Telegin on the other hand was the complete opposite, great speed, physical, more physically mature, also has a wicked shot but turned the puck over a lot and tried breaking into the 67s zone to many times by himself, reminded me of evander kane,

last note, Colts honestly looked like one line and a goalie, the other three lines got dominated and the line of sheifele, telegin, and behenna were responsible for all 3 goals, the goalie niederberger was phenomenal, had 65 saves in the win, they were outshot like 67-37 to,
Thanks for the update on how Sheifele and Telegin are doing. How you descibe Sheifele's game will serve us well if he can get is skating up another notch. I would like to see him come into camp in the fall and compete for a roster spot. He may yet spend another year in junior but I think he will be in the Jets lineup sooner than later, as he already has the skills most players need to develop in the minors.

Telegin will likely have to spend time on the rock to learn to play a pro game. He appears to have the physical tools but not the hockey smarts yet.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:18 PM
sully1410

I think they'll prolly try him again. Just to see if this last year has made a difference. He made the team last year, but tgey decided that he wasn't ready yet.

You never know.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:02 PM
JSR84
Displaced Jets fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
are you assuming PPG means Power Play Goals...cus it doesnt...its points per game.
I know what PPG means bud. I just messed up the number of games he played. The "Math Fail" was directed at myself.

JSR84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR84 View Post
I know what PPG means bud. I just messed up the number of games he played. The "Math Fail" was directed at myself.
No sweat, sorry about the misread.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:44 PM
JSR84
Displaced Jets fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
No sweat, sorry about the misread.
No worries, I probably could have been more clear. lol

JSR84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:51 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post

funny thing when I was watching Telegin I was struck by how fast he was but I also was thinking how different he was than Kane. I have no idea how his shooting accuracy is and not many players can thread the needle like Kane can and I know it is juniors but I saw Telegin make more quick smart passes and play with his line mates at a more advanced level than Kane does currently. OK OK......I know Kane was a way higher graded prospect and is doing in the NHL what Telegin can only hope to one day (as far as scoring goals), but, tomorrow if I could transplant Telegin's passing ability (both willingness to, and heads up ability to) into Kane it would be an instant upgrade IMHO. Telegin is a shoot first player and likes to carry the puck and beat guys with his speed like Kane does the difference I saw was he didn't force it when it wasn't there and was just as apt to head man the puck or drop pass it to the open player if it would help advance the rush. The kid has some serious tools in the box.

I really liked what I saw in Telegin and hope he continues to develop

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
funny thing when I was watching Telegin I was struck by how fast he was but I also was thinking how different he was than Kane. I have no idea how his shooting accuracy is and not many players can thread the needle like Kane can and I know it is juniors but I saw Telegin make more quick smart passes and play with his line mates at a more advanced level than Kane does currently. OK OK......I know Kane was a way higher graded prospect and is doing in the NHL what Telegin can only hope to one day (as far as scoring goals), but, tomorrow if I could transplant Telegin's passing ability (both willingness to, and heads up ability to) into Kane it would be an instant upgrade IMHO. Telegin is a shoot first player and likes to carry the puck and beat guys with his speed like Kane does the difference I saw was he didn't force it when it wasn't there and was just as apt to head man the puck or drop pass it to the open player if it would help advance the rush. The kid has some serious tools in the box.

I really liked what I saw in Telegin and hope he continues to develop
Telegin does look very promising. His speed is a real asset, and he does seem to be a good playmaker.

But consider that Kane is already a 30-goal scorer in the NHL, and he is only about 6 months older than Telegin. Beyond his speed and shot, Kane is very physical and aggressive and goes very hard to the net. Those are real assets in the NHL.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:24 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Telegin does look very promising. His speed is a real asset, and he does seem to be a good playmaker.

But consider that Kane is already a 30-goal scorer in the NHL, and he is only about 6 months older than Telegin. Beyond his speed and shot, Kane is very physical and aggressive and goes very hard to the net. Those are real assets in the NHL.
For sure Whileee I know Kane is superior in pretty much every way at this point in time as one would hope for from the 4th overall draft pick and he does it all at the NHL level. My viewpoint is very narrow but if you watch the link Gump just posted and look at Barrie's overtime goal and Telegin's on the fly, heads up, drop pass assist on the game winner tell me if Evander has displayed anything close to that this year while on the rush (other than his one sweet pass to Johnny O for the OT winner in Buffalo). Maybe he has but none come to mind off the top of my head.......once Kane gains the blue line he is head down and on a mission.

I am not saying Telegin is better than Evander just saying for a big, fast skating, shoot first winger I think he already has superior playmaking instincts (one facet)

Last edited by ps241: 04-09-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old
04-09-2012, 03:29 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

vCash: 406
Quote:
For sure Whileee I know Kane is superior in pretty much every way at this point in time as one would hope for from the 4th overall draft pick and he does does it all at the NHL level. My viewpoint is very narrow but if you watch the link Gump just posted and look at Barrie's overtime goal and Telegin's on the fly, heads up, drop pass assist on the game winner tell me if Evander has displayed anything close to that this year while on the rush (other than his one sweet pass to Johnny O for the OT winner in Buffalo). Maybe he has but none come to mind off the top of my head.......once Kane gains the blue line he is head down and on a mission.

I am not saying Telegin is better than Evander just saying for a big, fast skating, shoot first winger I think he already has superior playmaking instincts (one facet)
Telegin used to play centre - that could be one of the reasons that he has good instincts for playmaking.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:16 PM
surixon

Quote:
For sure Whileee I know Kane is superior in pretty much every way at this point in time as one would hope for from the 4th overall draft pick and he does does it all at the NHL level. My viewpoint is very narrow but if you watch the link Gump just posted and look at Barrie's overtime goal and Telegin's on the fly, heads up, drop pass assist on the game winner tell me if Evander has displayed anything close to that this year while on the rush (other than his one sweet pass to Johnny O for the OT winner in Buffalo). Maybe he has but none come to mind off the top of my head.......once Kane gains the blue line he is head down and on a mission.

I'm not sure I'd make that assertion yet. Telegin is a solid playmaker at the junior level, but he has so much more time and space to work with. Take the overtime goal, there is no way NHL level defenseman give him that degree of seperation or time to make that pass.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:01 AM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I'm not sure I'd make that assertion yet. Telegin is a solid playmaker at the junior level, but he has so much more time and space to work with. Take the overtime goal, there is no way NHL level defenseman give him that degree of seperation or time to make that pass.
I agree he will get less time and space as he moves to the next level but he has shown me signs or let’s call it "a willingness to share" that I have rarely witnessed with Kane. In the goal in OT he did have time to make that play but he still made it, if I put Kane in the same spot he would shoot that puck 10 out of 10 times and I would bet my life on it. Now on balance that is what we want Kane doing but not every time........If you were to watch the only goal in the first game for Barrie it probably illustrates my point better. A puck comes around the boards to Telegin who is on the half wall on his off wing, as the puck approach's his backhand (he is back to the net) he lifts his head and feels the back presser from the Ottawa forward closing hard on him and Telegin instantly rings the puck back around the boards to Behenna behind the net who one time passes it to Scheifele in the slot who snaps it in. In that Play Telegin showed me that he can make the quick, simple, correct read under pressure.

I am on side with you about the OHL being easier but that cuts both ways.......a guy like Telegin currently has enough raw skills to shoot more and pass less at that level so if anything it’s even more encouraging when I watch him. I am seeing some play making skills both under pressure and with time that are refreshing at a minimum and show more overall balanced hockey IQ IMHO. Does he have Kane's raw tools like speed, shot, size.......maybe he can match the speed but Kane's shot is special.

It makes sense that you would wait as opposed to my snap judgment on a small sample size……either way I am sure we can both agree he is an exciting young prospect.

Last edited by ps241: 04-10-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old
04-10-2012, 12:14 PM
surixon

Quote:
I agree he will get less time and space as he moves to the next level but he has shown me signs or let’s call it "a willingness to share" that I have rarely witnessed with Kane. In the goal in OT he did have time to make that play but he still made it, if I put Kane in the same spot he would shoot that puck 10 out of 10 times and I would bet my life on it. Now on balance that is what we want Kane doing but not every time........If you were to watch the only goal in the first game for Barrie it probably illustrates my point better. A puck comes around the boards to Telegin who is on the half wall on his off wing, as the puck approach's his backhand (he is back to the net) he lifts his head and feels the back presser from the Ottawa forward closing hard on him and Telegin instantly rings the puck back around the boards to Behenna behind the net who one time passes it to Scheifele in the slot who snaps it in. In that Play Telegin showed me that he can make the quick, simple, correct read under pressure.

I am on side with you about the OHL being easier but that cuts both ways.......a guy like Telegin currently has enough raw skills to shoot more and pass less at that level so if anything it’s even more encouraging when I watch him. I am seeing some play making skills both under pressure and with time that are refreshing at a minimum and show more overall balanced hockey IQ IMHO. Does he have Kane's raw tools like speed, shot, size.......maybe he can match the speed but Kane's shot is special.

It makes sense that you would wait as opposed to my snap judgment on a small sample size……either way I am sure we can both agree he is an exciting young prospect.
I agree that he is starting to look like a potential steal for where he was drafted. Looks like he can be a good twoway third liner or possibly a 2nd line winger if he can fully translate his skill set.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:33 PM
dpenner

i dont disagree that he might be a better playmaker but thats just what i saw from that single game. He tried beating guys 1 on 3 a bunch of times and made some ill advised passes. That could also be bc the 67s D were big and slow and clogging the middle of the ice and so he might of thought he could beat them wide with his speed. He had a couple hard accurate shots though that could of easily been goals. Anyways Im going to the friday colts game and will get a second look.

dpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:32 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

[mod]

Scheif has looked very good for Barrie in the OHL playoffs their team lost tonight but is on the cusp of advancing to the semi finals in the OHL and their team is really banged up.

Last edited by Jet: 04-13-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: This is not a place for people with an axe to grind over the pick to vent. This is a thread about Mark Scheifele
Old
04-14-2012, 10:30 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

vCash: 406
I've watched Scheifele all year, and I think that the Jets definitely have a diamond in the rough and made a smart, slightly off-board pick. The things that stick out for me are:

1. Hockey intelligence. He's got it, big time.
2. There are some players that just appear to be in the right place at the right time - there's a reason for that, and Scheifele has this "puck sense"
3. Defensive responsibility - he really does care about what's going on in the d-zone as much as the o-zone. I'm assuming that he's being pushed to learn this properly by Hawerchuk.
4. Size - he's lanky now, but give him 2-3 years, and he'll be one of those big centres that we're looking for
5. Hard work - busts his butt, he takes a beating and just keeps on going - never gives up. His attitude is great.

His skating is getting better. It's doubtful he'll ever be an elite level skater, but it is improving, and he's getting stronger on the puck for it as well. I personally am happy with the Jets selection. Coutourier is going to be a great winger - Scheifele will be a leader down the middle, in my opinion.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Heads up guys. This is a thread for discussion of the progress of MARK SCHEIFELE. This is not a thread about whether or not he was a good pick or to stack him up against other people picked in his draft.

Keep discussion here about how Mark is developing right now. Thank you.