Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

2011-12 German Bundesliga

Old
04-11-2012, 09:29 AM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 500
Dortmund is my pick, even though I would like Bayern to win it

With the results from yesterday, Freiburg is probably safe from relegation, very important win for them. Koln is falling apart, they concede way too many goals

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:08 AM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
Because I think Rangnick is a good coach, plain and simple, and I'd hate to see him leave for illness, pay him compensation and then have him sign with a direct rival for the top spots a year later. I don't know the same for Stevens... I often feel that this team is no more that the sum of its parts. When you look at Gladbach, it is my belief that Favre has the team playing over their heads. The same can to a certain extent be said about hanover. Schalke wins games on talent alone, not on any coaching mastery. But, you can't really argue results and I am very happy with where schalke is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, with the tension rising for undoubtedly the biggest sports match of today (Penguins-Flyers can go to hell), what are your picks? I have a bad feeling dortmund will win this.
Actually, I do not think that Schalke's overall talent level can be considered as good as a clear-cut third place in Bundesliga. The does not primarily consist of stars like Raúl, Huntelaar and Höwedes, but of younger/inexperienced or second-tier players. Even despite some injuries and an Europa League-campain, which lasted until the quarterfinals, Stevens has had huge success. You are right, Rangnick is a very good coach, but I do not think he would have been euqally successful. I also doubt he received any compensation, after he stepped down - legally it would be six weeks payment at most.

While other teams may play over their heads (besides Hannover and M'gladbach, I'd add Nürnberg, Stuttgart and Freiburg), Schalke still has a very solid season. After all the turmoil, that is more than one can ask for from Stevens.

This Dortmund-Bayern match is getting blown out of proportions, isn't it? As if the two top teams never played each other before... Anyway, if I had to place a bet on one team, I would choose Bayern, because they are used to playing big matches and have a slight psychological advantage, chasing Dortmund, who were five points clear of them a few weeks ago. I do not know for whom to root for but feel obliged to emphasize that today's away wins have to occur in Hoffenheim and Nashville, not in Dortmund!

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHH View Post
Actually, I do not think that Schalke's overall talent level can be considered as good as a clear-cut third place in Bundesliga. The does not primarily consist of stars like Raúl, Huntelaar and Höwedes, but of younger/inexperienced or second-tier players. Even despite some injuries and an Europa League-campain, which lasted until the quarterfinals, Stevens has had huge success. You are right, Rangnick is a very good coach, but I do not think he would have been euqally successful. I also doubt he received any compensation, after he stepped down - legally it would be six weeks payment at most.

While other teams may play over their heads (besides Hannover and M'gladbach, I'd add Nürnberg, Stuttgart and Freiburg), Schalke still has a very solid season. After all the turmoil, that is more than one can ask for from Stevens.

This Dortmund-Bayern match is getting blown out of proportions, isn't it? As if the two top teams never played each other before... Anyway, if I had to place a bet on one team, I would choose Bayern, because they are used to playing big matches and have a slight psychological advantage, chasing Dortmund, who were five points clear of them a few weeks ago. I do not know for whom to root for but feel obliged to emphasize that today's away wins have to occur in Hoffenheim and Nashville, not in Dortmund!

Gruß,
BSHH
It's not clear cut, but I do think Schalke has the 3rd best squad in the league. Leverkusen would be the biggest challenger for that, but they've been slumping badly all season, so no contest here for this year. Werder certainly aren't what they used to be (heavily reliant on Pizarro), Stuttgart is quite average on many positions... the talent level isn't all that high to begin with...

You're right, the back four is very inexperienced, but also quite talented. RB is the only pressing point of concern I think.

I too think that Rangnick would have had the same succes, mainly because he wanted to teach the player his system and sacrificed results for that... the thing is though, maybe in a few years we have to put up without players of the huntelaar, farfan, Raul calibre, and a good system would have helped with that... ah whatever. I'm not unhappy with stevens, he's done a good job.

As for the blowing out of proportion, I think so too. In 2010 first place Schalke played 2nd place Bayern with a chance to go up 5 points on them and decide the title race... I don't remember that match getting so miuch attention. But this is also a somewhat special situation because Dortmund can all but wrap up their 2nd title in a row, so the question now is not only who wins the title, but also if dortmund can challenge Bayern's supremacy for years to come.

BTW, I'd say today is a good day for away wins. Nürnberg, Dortmund, Pittsburgh, Vancouver

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:51 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

ridiculous play acting by robben there

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Man am I ever pissed off

Old
04-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Alklha

What was with the bananas?

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Lewandowski

Savi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:51 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

robben with a really poor penalty miss

then misses an open goal from 3 yards out

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Alklha

Pathetic performance from Robben. Missed penalty and then that from 4 yards?!

Old
04-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Savi

Yeah Robben is going to feel pretty sick tonight

Old
04-11-2012, 03:53 PM
HajdukSplit

nightmare performance by Robben...Dortmund basically have the title I feel, Bayern's only hope is Dortmund lose to Schalke, but Dortmund have such an easy schedule

Old
04-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Alklha

Congratulations to Dortmund, that's them won the League.

Munich could have had a couple more penalties tonight, but they deserved nothing from the game. Next to no desire to go at Dortmund until they went behind. Type of performance that gets mangers sacked.

Old
04-11-2012, 04:39 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Ribery and especially Robben had brutal games today.

Not good enough for 2 world class players, but hopefully for Bayern they redeem themselves with a strong performance against Madrid.

BTW, Subtovic is classless trash. Disappointed Robben didn't slap him like he has done to Muller.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:34 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Cologne sacked Solbakken today.

My beautiful Hannover won again but they will have to play the next games without both Diouf and Abdellaoue. It's going to be a tough battle for the 7th berth.

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 233
Deadspin Video -- German Soccer Trolling Is The Best Trolling:
Quote:
In a match that may be the deciding factor in the German Bundesliga title race, Borussia Dortmund seized a 1-0 victory over Bayern Munich when keeper Roman Weidenfeller stopped Arjen Robben's penalty in the 82nd minute, leading to an extraordinary (and ballsy) act of trash-talking from Serbian defender Neven Subotic. Barring a late season collapse, Dortmund looks to pocket their second consecutive Bundesliga championship. [Sky Sports]

This is a Deadspin Video, in which strange sports moments are slowed down to ridiculous speeds and matched with indie music. This video features "I Let My Daddy Do That" by Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs.

Video: http://deadspin.com/5901486/german-s...-best-trolling

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:10 AM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
What was with the bananas?
When Oliver Kahn was playing, it was common for many fans of opposing teams to throw bananas, which was meant to mock what some considered a gorilla-like appearance of Kahn. Neuer is heavily disliked by Dortmund fans, because of his past with Schalke, but I do not see any other reason for the bananas.

Anyway, many Dortmund fans are often rather strange. Their club obviously knew that and sold many almost worthless stocks to them!

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Stuttgart!

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Schalkenullvier*

impressive performance, pressing right until the end.

Werder can kiss the Europa league goodbye. 2 wins since the winter break, and still have to play bayern, schalke and wolfsburg.

Old
04-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Stuttgart!
2nd best in the league in the Spring-season.
Hope we can finish 4th

Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Harnik is a heck of a player.

Stuttgart are getting some good talent from a lot of places

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Savi

Well, this should do it for Dortmund.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:27 AM
HajdukSplit

Balakov has been a disaster at Kaiserslautern it seems, I know its the allure of managing in Germany and the money is better, but he basically traded a Europa League club for a team in the 2.Bundesliga

Any chance of Dortmund slipping is gone, good win at Schalke.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Strangely, I couldn't get myself involved in this derby emotionally as I normaly am, but still. 2 derby losses for the dirst time in my life hurts.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Savi

Bayern failed to beat Mainz, so Dortmund can win the title at home next week if they beat Gladbach.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Schalkenullvier*

we can now officially welcome greuther fürth to the bundesliga