HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF Game 1 - 4/13/12, 7pm EDT "We're Back, Baby!" - Devils VS Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2012, 12:22 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

vCash: 500
Even more confident about gm 2 than I was late last night.
MARTY was far from special. We have to get those fat rebounds, the ones bergy and kopescky are good at.
I believe Weiss will grace us with an appearance. I give him a pass for yesterday.

On pp they will have to carry it in.. Marty is like a dman out there; gobbles up the puck and gives a tape to tape pass; I've seen that act for 20 damn yrs now.

They'll come out stronger tommorow; the amazing crowd wont be muzzled by a 3 goal stunner, and if we maintain the lead the devs can't go into their patented trap.
I'm excited for Sunday!!!

Old
04-14-2012, 12:29 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Shafer View Post
I don't want to talk about the game but here are some pictures from yesterday. Great meeting up with a lot f you from Murphs tailgate, to AG and junior to his high school friends, and the first intermission talk!

Stop showing off your beautiful girlfriend !!!

Old
04-14-2012, 12:40 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
23/26 = 0.886.

I know he was left to dry, but goals #2 and #3 he didn't play well. He had time to challenge the shooter more aggressively, pass was covered.

In order for me to praise him, he should have saved at least one of the last two. So okay, he was adequate. I didn't say he was as bad as our worst player Weiss last night (no one was anywhere near as bad as Weiss on either team), but he wasn't the star either.
I watched a the goals over and the second one was a perfect placed puck and the third our defenseman dove down and took Theodore's vision of the puck away and the puck had eyes. You and that Sporting guy are rank Theodore bashers. Keep calling for Clemm, but if Theo plays as well as he did last night, he'll be barried on the bench.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:42 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Stop showing off your beautiful girlfriend !!!
lol you're crazy. don't listen to this man

Old
04-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
btw i honestly think that the lowerbowl tickets should be cheaper because the lower bowl seats were nowhere near as filled up compared to the 300's and the 400's.
And no where near the view of the game either. We were in row 6, and it was cool when the play was near our end of the ice, but we had to watch the jumbotron for the plays at the other end.

Next time we'll go 300 or up. Better view of the ice.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:49 PM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
^^^ Liability in the playoffs? He's only played ONE playoff game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Sorry KW, you're way off on Weiss. Soft? Just because a guy doesn't hit, doesn't mean he's soft, that's ridiculous. He takes hits, stays in the play, plays through injuries, doesn't shy away from corner work...soft? No.

He and JBlow are nothing like each other. I don't think Weiss is captain material, but you're off. You're pinning things on him that shouldn't be and claim you're being hard on him him through it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
The bashing of Weiss in this thread is ridiculous.

Saying Clemmer should get game 2 based on last night's game is also ridiculous. Theodore was fantastic last night. Better than Brodeur. It's not Theodore's fault that the Panthers came out in the 1st looking like they were playing a video game that they did not how to play. The Devils could've easily scored 7 or 8 goals in the 1st period, honestly. And then he also stopped Kovalchuk/Parise on a 2-on-1 odd-man rush in the 3rd period to keep the game at 3-2. Had the Panthers scored the 3rd goal, we would've been looking back at all those amazing saves and calling them "clutch, timely saves."

As for Weiss, he's a second line center. He's solid in all areas of the game except hitting because he's not big enough to be a physical beast. Get over it, and be thankful that a player of his caliber has been as loyal to this organization as he's been. Everyone else would've wanted to leave a long time ago; as a matter of fact, everyone else did leave a long time ago.

The guy has endured a ton and he deserves to finally be here and play in a playoff game. If you don't believe his supporters on this board, why don't you go read the comments from every single coach he's played for in this league? The guy is a solid player who plays through injury at times.

A 50-60 point center is not a 3rd line center unless if you've just built the best team of all-time or something. Give it a rest.
Y'all don't have to agree with me, and obviously you don't. But please stop with your "you gotta stop being mean to Stevie" crap. You have your opinion and I have mine. Big deal. I happen to think Weiss is always soft, evidenced by his never hitting a warm body, and it is being accentuated in the playoffs. I'm rushing to judgment based on just one game? He's like that in the regular season, it just shows less because players aren't as intense then. I'm open to being convinced that I'm wrong but you gotta accomplish that with data and not whining.

And on Theo, we're at odds there too. Again, no one has convinced me that 1) letting in 3 goals out of 6-7 good scoring chances is great, and 2) that his rebound control was good. Could it have been 7-2? Yeah, if Theo had really sucked. He didn't suck like Weiss did, he was just average Theo. Would Clemmer have done better? Probably not in those situations, but the team probably would have. Those situations might never have happened with Clemmer in the net.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:58 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
And no where near the view of the game either. We were in row 6, and it was cool when the play was near our end of the ice, but we had to watch the jumbotron for the plays at the other end.

Next time we'll go 300 or up. Better view of the ice.
Been in the 300s since the arena opened. Wouldn't move down for anything.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Y'all don't have to agree with me, and obviously you don't. But please stop with your "you gotta stop being mean to Stevie" crap. You have your opinion and I have mine. Big deal. I happen to think Weiss is always soft, evidenced by his never hitting a warm body, and it is being accentuated in the playoffs. I'm rushing to judgment based on just one game? He's like that in the regular season, it just shows less because players aren't as intense then. I'm open to being convinced that I'm wrong but you gotta accomplish that with data and not whining.

And on Theo, we're at odds there too. Again, no one has convinced me that 1) letting in 3 goals out of 6-7 good scoring chances is great, and 2) that his rebound control was good. Could it have been 7-2? Yeah, if Theo had really sucked. He didn't suck like Weiss did, he was just average Theo. Would Clemmer have done better? Probably not in those situations, but the team probably would have. Those situations might never have happened with Clemmer in the net.

Weiss is our best all-around forward. If you think he sucks, I'm really intrigued to hear your opinion on the rest of the group.

As for the goaltending, the Devils had more than 6-7 good chances in the first period. Again, we must've watched different periods.
Had it not been for Theodore, we would've been the laughing stock of the NHL today because that game would've gotten out of hand. The fact the Devils didn't score in the first 7-8 or so minutes was a miracle.

Do you not understand how difficult it is to face 26 shots in one period?
It's not the same as stopping 23/26 in an entire game. This was one period.

If you're criticizing Theo for rebound control, it would've been great to see Clemmensen in this one considering his rebound control is the worst thing about his game. The Devils probably would've gotten 30+ shots on net with Clemmer in there.

How about the rest of the team not showing up in the first period? Theodore's only human. Pretty tough for a human being to be a brick wall.

I'm sure the great Jacob Markstrom would've allowed 3 (or more) in that period, as well. Can't wait till Markstrom comes up here to see the amount of unfair criticism he gets, as well.

Seems to be the case with all our goalies, which is surprising considering they're always the strength of the team.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:

Who said that? Where?? And again, being a frequent hitter is the only thing that makes you not soft?

No one whined, you're taking our objections as such. You have to do more than say hits are the only thing that takes away the soft label. It's just not true. Lidstrom soft? Btw, he had 92 hits on the year, he doesn't always line a guy up, but that's not his game.

Is Goc soft? Nope. Is Malkin? You want him to be Brown, Berglund, or Getzlaf...he's not. Nor is he a top line guy. He's a second line center who would flourish behind a top line guy, and has done well enough as a top liner.

04-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
lol you're crazy. don't listen to this man
Haha, she enjoyed herself.. I'll see everyone tomorrow hopefully!

Old
04-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
The best thing we can do is forget this game and move on to game 2. Bring the lunch pail and we will be fine. We brought it for the 2nd and 3rd periods and look how the tables turned? NJ looked very human. There are faults in NJ, big ones. Their D is very beatable, and Marty was letting out some huge rebounds. Work a bit harder, and I think we can do some pretty good damage.

Im still not entirely sure what that first period about. I don't really think it's that they were asleep or anything like that. I just don't think anybody is asleep the first game of the playoffs with nothing but anticipation the whole week. I think they were shellshocked, sensory overload and complete bundle of nerves. Hockey players and professionals they are, but they still have human qualities.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
I also have a feeling Weiss is playing with a nagging injury. Nagging in the sense of really bothering his overall ability to play the game. I think it might be his back. I watch him out there hunched skating and it literally looks like there is pain on his face. He just doesn't look normal out there. He looks slower than usual. He's got to be playing with something.

Old
04-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Holy Jokinen

Was a really good game. **** officiating, but the crowd was really amazing. I haven't heard a Panther crowd cheer that loud for the Devils being off-sides in pretty much forever.

Coming home and watching the game, i had no idea how bad that Matthias call was. Wow. It's amazing how in the playoffs they let so much go, and yet still call the tiniest of penalties. At worst, the Matthias call should've been a 2 minute roughing call (which is what the ref originally signaled). We would've killed it off, and they would've never got those two quick goals near the end of the first. That changes the whole dynamic of the game.

Granted, we still came out wide-eyed and slow. Too much watching, not enough doing.

Was doing some research on the 1996 playoff battles we went through, and in the second round against the first-seeded Flyers, we were down 2-1 in the series and ended up winning in 6 games. This series is far from over. Brodeur is beatable, and so is their defense. All we need is to stay out of the box, and get an answer to that Elias, Zubrus, Sykora line. We did a great job shutting down that top line, but then again, so did they.

BTW, i'll be there sunday again, despite having work in tampa the next morning at 8am.

Old
04-14-2012, 03:47 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Btw my fan Of the yr award goes to desert panther who freakin drove 1400 miles to attend last night....By himself!! damn!

Old
04-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Btw my fan Of the yr award goes to desert panther who freakin drove 1400 miles to attend last night....By himself!! damn!
Hah, i partially feel his pain -- I drove 200+ miles for the last game of the season. Then drove back to tampa, worked all week, then drove back home Friday for Game 1. Now i'll be at Game 2 despite having work in Tampa on Monday morning at 8am. I'm gonna hate myself, but hopefully it'll all be worth it cause the series will be tied.

But 1400 miles... jebus. Hats off to desertpanther.

Old
04-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
I also have a feeling Weiss is playing with a nagging injury. Nagging in the sense of really bothering his overall ability to play the game. I think it might be his back. I watch him out there hunched skating and it literally looks like there is pain on his face. He just doesn't look normal out there. He looks slower than usual. He's got to be playing with something.
Well, he just had 6 days off, so it must be serious (if there is in fact something wrong).

Old
04-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Holy Jokinen

AG, clear your PMs, i was gonna send one to ya.

Old
04-14-2012, 05:01 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
AG, clear your PMs, i was gonna send one to ya.
Will do when I get home!

Old
04-14-2012, 05:08 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Hey Panthers fans, coming in peace. Our beat writer asked Bryce Salvador about your awesome rat throwing tradition.

"Devils D Bryce Salvador said a few players were hit with the rubber/plastic rats the Panthers' fans threw on the ice at the end of the game."

Salvador: "But that’s part of the atmosphere of playing here. If you take a couple rats off the head, you take a couple rats off the head.” Salvador said the rat throwing is "a great tradition."

Old
04-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Hey Panthers fans, coming in peace. Our beat writer asked Bryce Salvador about your awesome rat throwing tradition.

"Devils D Bryce Salvador said a few players were hit with the rubber/plastic rats the Panthers' fans threw on the ice at the end of the game."

Salvador: "But that’s part of the atmosphere of playing here. If you take a couple rats off the head, you take a couple rats off the head.” Salvador said the rat throwing is "a great tradition."
Nice, lol. Fans need to understand when to throw em, though. Unfortunately, the bandwagon comes with people who pay to throw rats, not actually see a playoff game.

Old
04-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Boooooth10

I was expecting the rats to fly after the first goal, but not the second. I don't think the refs are going to put up with it much longer if people continue to throw rats after every goal.

And kudos to whoever nailed one of the refs after the game with a rat. That was hilarious.

Old
04-14-2012, 05:51 PM
PBPantherfan
#draft is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post

Those fans were stupid whoever threw them. Kind of like a guy getting excited scoring with 30 secs left in the third when his team is down by 5.

But is is really cool that opposing players like the flying rats. Thanks for the info.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Ekblast
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Shafer View Post
Haha, she enjoyed herself.. I'll see everyone tomorrow hopefully!
You're the big dude in the cape? I saw you upstairs in the bathroom around the 427 section.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Ekblast
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
I was expecting the rats to fly after the first goal, but not the second. I don't think the refs are going to put up with it much longer if people continue to throw rats after every goal.

And kudos to whoever nailed one of the refs after the game with a rat. That was hilarious.
Announcers need to warn fans more during the warmups and during tv breaks and intermissions.

I'm sure those throwing are attending a Panther game for the first time this season (now that we're in the playoffs everyone is a fan). They think it's 96 or something. So yeah, they need to warn more.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThugsNHarmony View Post
Announcers need to warn fans more during the warmups and during tv breaks and intermissions.

I'm sure those throwing are attending a Panther game for the first time this season (now that we're in the playoffs everyone is a fan). They think it's 96 or something. So yeah, they need to warn more.
Actually wonder how many of those were Devil fans, they said they were going to be doing it. Seeing as how you can't prove who threw what and there really wasn't tat many, how can they actually penalize our team? Still, it's going to keep happening, I'm sure.

Love the rats, but have to be thrown at the proper time.

Closed Thread