HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part X

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2012, 12:40 PM
fsnoles98

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=BobRouse;47815975]Whatever happens in these playoffs I think the Caps really need to bring Alex Semin back.

LOL! Pending his asking price, but player wise, would rather see him walk.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:37 PM
NeilYoung

I believe Prust is a Free agent he'd be a damn good target

Old
04-13-2012, 03:00 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
tom poti is done. he came in to take and fail his physical and went home. they know what is wrong with him and short of breaking his pelvis so that he will heal correctly, he is finished.
Then I stand by my remarks that "he's nothing but a bra snapper" and I'd say it straight to his face . . . of a distance of maybe 25 feet between us of course.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:02 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Who? Was he wearing one of those "Hello My Name Is . . ." stickers.

Would rather it had been Kuznetsov in the press box, that would be a positive sign.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Halpysback

I'd bring in Prust, Kelly, Jones and Tootoo (healthy scratch for Nashville right now) on the forward end of things and go all in for Suter on defense. And no, this isn't a gut reaction to Kelly from last night, I've always had a huge one for Kelly even before he established himself as a Pens killer, and was really pissed when we basically traded for Arnott instead. Much much much rather have him than Laich as a 3C, if we can move out Laich and get Kelly for ~3.5 that's a huge win in my book.

Ovechkin Backstrom Jones
Semin Johansson Kuznetsov
Chimera Kelly Brouwer
Tootoo Beagle Prust

Suter Green (last chance)
Alzner Carlson
Orlov Sarich/defensively solid physical <2mil vet, maybe just Erskine

Holtby
Neuvirth/Harding/Cheap Ass Huet (if Neuvirth traded for something good)

That 2nd line is gonna get abused physically but we can ride their talent to the playoffs and either re-engineer it at the deadline or throw Brouwer up there/manage their minutes well, since both bottom 6 lines can play 16-17 minutes of mistake free grind your balls out hockey.

Laich, Hamrlik, Ward should all be tradeable, Schultz should be waiveable at the least. With Knuble and Wideman walking the money should be all good more or less.

Last edited by Halpysback: 04-14-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old
04-14-2012, 01:29 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

I say we sign Asham, Moore, Prust, Suter, Stuart. So that's about 16 mil in. Trade Ward, Hamrlik (unless they show up big in these playoffs), Knuble walks, Vokoun walks, Wideman walks, Schultz traded (so that's about 17mil off the books with a predicted 4 mil in cap, so we should be fine, considering Carlson with a slight raise and Semin a slight decrease)

Ovechkin-Perreault-Kuznetsov
Semin-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera-Johansson-Laich
Prust-Moore-Asham
Beagle
Eakin

Suter-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Stuart-Orlov

Holtby
Neuvirth

Can't find a fault with that team.

Great center depth (Backstrom, Perreault, Johansson, Laich, Moore, Beagle, Kuznetsov can all play center).

Great mix of defensemen

Good goalies

Very versatile forwards

Great 4th line with a 4C that can move up in the lineup

Tougher

Great bottom pair, improved top pair

I <3 it

Old
04-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Halpysback

Stuart supposedly either stays with Detroit or goes to cali. I'm afraid it would cost 5.5ish to get him to come here. Just not worth it for a #3 playing as a #5.

Suter, on the other hand

Old
04-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I'll hold off putting something like this together until the season is over but I'd expect Hendricks to be a regular despite offensive regression outside the gimmick. I like Prust/Tootoo but both are likely to get paid relative to their role on the open market. I haven't looked through the complete UFA list in a while but I think Souray would be a decent 3LD fit with Orlov given their experience in Hershey. He should be fairly cost-effective I'd think.

I don't think Ward is movable unless he starts lighting it up and wouldn't expect convenient cap dumps given uncertainty re: salary cap calculations.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I'll hold off putting something like this together until the season is over but I'd expect Hendricks to be a regular despite offensive regression outside the gimmick. I like Prust/Tootoo but both are likely to get paid relative to their role on the open market. I haven't looked through the complete UFA list in a while but I think Souray would be a decent 3LD fit with Orlov given their experience in Hershey. He should be fairly cost-effective I'd think.

I don't think Ward is movable unless he starts lighting it up and wouldn't expect convenient cap dumps given uncertainty re: salary cap calculations.
They'd both probably be 2-2.5ish players but they give whoever has them a whole new dimension of forechecking that Hendricks (and no one on our team outside a pissed off Ovechkin and Chimera) is really capable of. For once I just want to see the caps have a line that pounds away at other team's defenses with reckless abandon and grinds them to dust.

Souray would be a good cost-effective signing (assuming he goes cheap, which he my not anymore) though his defense is very meh now.

Over half the league was interested in Ward last year, teams were willing to pay close to 3 million. I'm sure we can find one team willing to take him back for at least a waiveable dump, especially with decent playoffs.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:10 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I'd be nervous of Souray after his first 15 games or so he seemed to slow down quite a bit

Old
04-15-2012, 04:13 PM
leafobserver

Hey, any talk/rumours/desire to go after Nash this summer? I can't remember if the Caps were on his list or not, but I see a lot of reasons why this could make sense.

- I think Semin is gone, and the Semin money can be used towards Nash. Nash is a LW, and you have a pretty decent one already, however I think Nash could play 2nd line minutes and PP time and still get the minutes he needs (might keep them both fresh, and a nightmare for matching).
- You have a lot of good pieces CLB would want. With Kuznetsov and Galiev maybe making the roster, you have to wonder how many top-6 inexperienced players you can have. (cue Johansson, 11th, +, to CLB?)
- Mike Green - RFA qualifying offer of 5M? that seems like a tough call, and maybe it is in the best interest of the team to move him after qualifying him? This will allow for even more flexibility in brining in Nash's cap hit.
- Nash Played for Hunter in London, and I think they have a good relationship (Hunter did retire his # earlier this year). Wideman was also on the team, and they tore it up.

A team with Nash/OV would be ridiculous, and I think Nash would absolutely light it up with a bit of the spotlight taken off of him.

Thoughts?

Old
04-15-2012, 04:23 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

No. Nash is extremely overrated. If he were paid $4-5 million? Sure.

But at nearly $8M? Yikes.

I'd rather bring back Semin at his current rate.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:49 PM
NeilYoung

Hell considering Semin would only be a couple years I'd take him over Nash

Nash is beyond overrated

Old
04-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post
Hell considering Semin would only be a couple years I'd take him over Nash

Nash is beyond overrated
Plus Columbus supposedly turned down roughly 5 first round picks worth of stuff from NYR for Nash. I am staying the hell away.

Semin's a better player anyway as much as people love to hate him.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:24 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Plus Columbus supposedly turned down roughly 5 first round picks worth of stuff from NYR for Nash. I am staying the hell away.

Semin's a better player anyway as much as people love to hate him.
I wouldn't say he's a better player but considering the situation it's a way better option

Nash 6 more years 7.8 million plus a bunch of good assets
Or
Semin couple years six million or so

It's pretty obvious, there's a few better options than Semin as well

Old
04-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
I wouldn't say he's a better player but considering the situation it's a way better option

Nash 6 more years 7.8 million plus a bunch of good assets
Or
Semin couple years six million or so

It's pretty obvious, there's a few better options than Semin as well
Offensively in Semin's best year he had the same number of points as Nash in his career year in 18 games less. Nash is a 60 point player on this current Caps incarnation, if that.

You can argue on him being more gritty or whatever, but defensively they're about a wash if not advantage Semin. And Nash floats around his fair share as well. And the cap hit + assets make the discussion a nonstarter.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:01 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Offensively in Semin's best year he had the same number of points as Nash in his career year in 18 games less. Nash is a 60 point player on this current Caps incarnation, if that.

You can argue on him being more gritty or whatever, but defensively they're about a wash if not advantage Semin. And Nash floats around his fair share as well. And the cap hit + assets make the discussion a nonstarter.
I know I'm saying a Nash deal would be completely awful

Old
04-15-2012, 08:19 PM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
I say we sign Asham, Moore, Prust, Suter, Stuart. So that's about 16 mil in. Trade Ward, Hamrlik (unless they show up big in these playoffs), Knuble walks, Vokoun walks, Wideman walks, Schultz traded (so that's about 17mil off the books with a predicted 4 mil in cap, so we should be fine, considering Carlson with a slight raise and Semin a slight decrease)

Semin-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera-Johansson-Laich
Prust-Moore-Asham
Beagle
Eakin

Suter-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Stuart-Orlov

Holtby
Neuvirth

Great center depth (Backstrom, Perreault, Johansson, Laich, Moore, Beagle, Kuznetsov can all play center).

Great mix of defensemen

Good goalies

Very versatile forwards

Tougher

I <3 it

Not a bad lineup, if it could actually happen. I like it.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Red Dread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post

Semin-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera-Johansson-Laich
Prust-Moore-Asham
Beagle
Eakin

Suter-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Stuart-Orlov

Holtby
Neuvirth

Great mix of defensemen

Good goalies

Very versatile forwards

Tougher

I <3 it
What...the...****? Why is he on 1C? Also, that lineup is almost completely filled by young people.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:48 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Not a bad lineup, if it could actually happen. I like it.
I don't mind it (other than Perrault 1c)

But I think Beagle has earned a full time roster spot

Old
04-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Halpysback

No thanks to Asham at this point. Slow as balls and writes checks the rest of our team won't be interested in cashing. Just get a disciplined hard as nails forechecker like Prust who knows their role, rather than an Asham/Carcillo/Eager nutbag who can lose a game all by themselves.

Old
04-18-2012, 02:26 PM
MW6

Let Knuble, Vokoun, Wideman and Halpern go.

Trade Hamrlik, Ward, Schultz, Erskine for whatever you get.

Try to sign Suter (6yr@7,25M), Stoll (2yr@2,75M), Glass 2yr@0,9M and maybe Hannan/Sarich/Allen at less than 2M

Resign Semin 3yr@5,5M, Green 1yr@5M, Carlson 2yr@2,15M, Beagle 2yr@0,6M

Trade for Derrick Brassard as 2C (Johansson + 3rd) and Nikolai Kulemin as 1RW (Wsh 1st + Eakin)

Then you have:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kulemin
Laich-Brassard-Semin
Chimera-Stoll-Brouwer
Hendricks-Beagle-Glass
Perreault-Sjogren

Suter-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Sarich/Hannan/Allen
Marshall/Kundratek

Neuvirth/Holtby

Old
04-18-2012, 02:31 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
Let Knuble, Vokoun, Wideman and Halpern go.

Trade Hamrlik, Ward, Schultz, Erskine for whatever you get.

Try to sign Suter (6yr@7,25M), Stoll (2yr@2,75M), Glass 2yr@0,9M and maybe Hannan/Sarich/Allen at less than 2M

Resign Semin 3yr@5,5M, Green 1yr@5M, Carlson 2yr@2,15M, Beagle 2yr@0,6M

Trade for Derrick Brassard as 2C (Johansson + 3rd) and Nikolai Kulemin as 1RW (Wsh 1st + Eakin)

Then you have:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kulemin
Laich-Brassard-Semin
Chimera-Stoll-Brouwer
Hendricks-Beagle-Glass
Perreault-Sjogren

Suter-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Sarich/Hannan/Allen
Marshall/Kundratek

Neuvirth/Holtby
1. Suters getting more than six years
2. Brassard isn't an upgrade over Mojo anymore
3. If your trading Schultz and Ward your most likely getting a bad contract back
4.Beagles earned more than a minimum contract
5. Hannan and Sarich are both awful
6. Allen is going to get paid way more than 2 million

Old
04-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Yeah, Beagle at .6 isn't going to happen. They're just waiting until the team is eliminated to announce the new 2M/yr extension McPhee is giving him.

Old
04-18-2012, 03:10 PM
MW6

Quote:
1. Suters getting more than six years
2. Brassard isn't an upgrade over Mojo anymore
3. If your trading Schultz and Ward your most likely getting a bad contract back
4.Beagles earned more than a minimum contract
5. Hannan and Sarich are both awful
6. Allen is going to get paid way more than 2 million
1. ok, give him 8-10 yrs then, fine by me.
2. Brassard still is better, better playmaker, stronger along the boards and more gritty, higher potential. Not as fast though.
3. Maybe not if it's for like a 4-5th rounder. If not, then waive them.
4. he has 5 points this year, so he ain't gonna get Hendricks-money, bump him 100k then, there's still caproom.
5. Hannan isn't awful as a 5-6D, not last year nor this, esp not at $1M.
6. not way more, he's played 3rd pairing minutes this year, decreased a lot in points, but ok, then just don't sign him.

Closed Thread