HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2012, 12:59 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
And I was wrong about Crabb. He's fifth behind the big 3 and Okposo.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:53 AM
marpoo
Rookie User

It is not very good. After the first round of the playoffs can star players like Kevin Shattenkirk, Ryan Suter, Nick Leddy, Matt Greene, John Carlson, Patrick Kane, Dustin Brown, David Legwand, David Backes, TJ Oshii or Joe Pavelski, but there is no place for some, unfortunately. It is possible that some players sent home from the current roster?

Old
04-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I saw that too....

I can just see Bobby Ryan, Stastny, and Max going to each other " are you freaken kidding me?" those 3 are going to be leaned on so heavily that I doubt they can carry the load. we still need a legit #2 center to play with Okposo and Atkinson...

Crabb is a good role player who had an above average year, but this team lacks talent down the middle as well as another top 6 winger like you and I have been saying..

if the roster is truly 25 then that makes me a bit happier...but if not, I dont know if we can medal with this group...depending on our 2 goalies and if the 2 remaining dmen are McBain and Byfuglien.
Lets be honest guys, this is easier said than done. I'm sure USA Hockey has reached out to everyone they could-including potential players to draw on once the first round of the NHL playoffs end. At the end of the day, they have to ice a roster-and there are only so many enticements for the Worlds, especially for an American player. As long as we get solid goaltending we'll be in good shape. I like the look of defense better than Canada's and we can at the very least ice two credible scoring lines. Yeah, it's not best case scenario-but its not last year either.

Old
04-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by marpoo View Post
It is not very good. After the first round of the playoffs can star players like Kevin Shattenkirk, Ryan Suter, Nick Leddy, Matt Greene, John Carlson, Patrick Kane, Dustin Brown, David Legwand, David Backes, TJ Oshii or Joe Pavelski, but there is no place for some, unfortunately. It is possible that some players sent home from the current roster?
Right-and how many of those guys do you think will be on board?

Old
04-13-2012, 09:48 AM
CDeeps

Well, as always, I will support the team put on the ice by USA Hockey. This is a short tournament and a team that gels quickly and gets a few lucky bounces can make waves and impress.

I still think last year's squad could've performed better if Gordon made some adjustments.

Old
04-13-2012, 10:23 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Lets be honest guys, this is easier said than done. I'm sure USA Hockey has reached out to everyone they could-including potential players to draw on once the first round of the NHL playoffs end. At the end of the day, they have to ice a roster-and there are only so many enticements for the Worlds, especially for an American player. As long as we get solid goaltending we'll be in good shape. I like the look of defense better than Canada's and we can at the very least ice two credible scoring lines. Yeah, it's not best case scenario-but its not last year either.
I agree Rabid, but the problem is there are a boat load of US players in the playoffs right now, and plenty of young guys as well that could be available in about a week or so. there really is no reason to rush this roster as I am sure we could snag 2-3 guys from first round eliminations...

seems silly to pick our roster right now with 2 weeks to go before the thing starts...I would rather go in a forward down in the beginning knowing we will add someone with some talent.

Old
04-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Finnpin

Ryan Lasch (@lascher19) tweet: "Thanks everyone for the congratulatory messages. Pretty excited to have the opportunity to play for the U.S National Team."

Old
04-14-2012, 10:19 AM
CDeeps

Chris Butler added to the team

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...1_03&id=316779

Old
04-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
I agree Rabid, but the problem is there are a boat load of US players in the playoffs right now, and plenty of young guys as well that could be available in about a week or so. there really is no reason to rush this roster as I am sure we could snag 2-3 guys from first round eliminations...

seems silly to pick our roster right now with 2 weeks to go before the thing starts...I would rather go in a forward down in the beginning knowing we will add someone with some talent.
The operative phrase here is "could be." I'm pretty confident that USA Hockey has reached out to potential candidates amongst playoff teams and has gotten the typical response. My main hope is Vancouver goes down and Schneider makes himself available. That would be a real coup. I like our defense so far and we have the makings of a very decent top six forward group. A very good skating group as well.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeeps View Post
Butler's fine in a defensive role. He'll make a good anchor for an offensive guy. I noticed that press release indicates the 25 player roster limit off the hop. That means we can still add two more goaltenders and four more skaters. If we can get an infusion of talent for the forwards the likes of JT Brown might just be along for practice/experience.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:38 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
YEAH!!!!!

So there goes Byfuglien and McBain

Old
04-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
YEAH!!!!!

Why? There is still room to add a d-man or two. Two or three forwards as well.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:54 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

does anyone else find it odd that we havent seen more declined players??

I mean it seems as if players/teams/whoever is kind of keeping those that dont play hush hush...

Old
04-14-2012, 11:56 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Why? There is still room to add a d-man or two. Two or three forwards as well.
if we are naming Chris Butler, I have little hope that we will get Buff and McBain...

no reason to name him unless he is going to be in our top 6 which I have a bad feeling about..

again I like Butler and have supported him since his Buffalo days, just want McBain, Gilbert, and Buff much more

Old
04-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
if we are naming Chris Butler, I have little hope that we will get Buff and McBain...

no reason to name him unless he is going to be in our top 6 which I have a bad feeling about..

again I like Butler and have supported him since his Buffalo days, just want McBain, Gilbert, and Buff much more
The team needs some defensive d-men. I'd take Gilbert as he can play both roles, and I'd take Buff as he is an "x" factor guy, but McBain is redundant.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:04 PM
CDeeps

I think Butler is a good addition. Buff with is blast from the point would be an ideal weapon, but at this point I'm not expecting to see him on the team. I'm surprised Jack Connolly hasn't been asked to play.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:52 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
I think that starting with this year (because of the new format) teams can ice a 25 man roster on the first day of the tournament.
You are correct. It looks as if initial press releases were either incorrect or were quoting a hybrid version of the past rules blended with the new format.

Quote:
All teams at the 2012 IIHF World Men's Championship may begin the tournament with 22 skaters and three goaltenders, and can add two players after the first three games
- Initial USA Hockey roster release.

Quote:
The maximum roster size is 25, which includes three goaltenders and 22 forwards and defensemen.
- USA Hockey releases regarding the additions of Crabb and Butler.

Quote:
701. IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship
2. Number of Players, Officials
A maximum of 22 players, 3 goalkeepers and 8 team officials may participate for each team for the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship.
- IIHF Statutes and Bylaws

It looks as if USAH corrected itself in its recent press releases. I don't see anything in the IIHF rules anymore about the late additions they used to allow (not that you couldn't have a late addition if you're under the max but now you can have those extra players initially). Thanks for the clarification!

Quote:
Butler's fine in a defensive role. He'll make a good anchor for an offensive guy. I noticed that press release indicates the 25 player roster limit off the hop. That means we can still add two more goaltenders and four more skaters. If we can get an infusion of talent for the forwards the likes of JT Brown might just be along for practice/experience.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping as well. I think Butler is a fine addition given what's available. The only d-men available at this point worth considering in my mind were/are: Byfuglien, E. Johnson, Whitney, Stuart, McBain, Gilbert and Leopold. EJ wasn't going to play given his back issues and his RFA status. I've never been a big Whitney fan and his skill set isn't really needed given the d-men we already have and he probably declined anyway. Stuart has been underwhelming in this tournament previously. His style isn't really suited for the European style. Byfuglien was obviously offered and is apparently still deciding - they should add a player of his offensive capabilities if he wants to go. I agree that McBain is redundant - I like him and think he's got a lot more room to grow in his game but he's not adding anything they don't already have in Johnson/Fowler/Faulk/Goligoski and those guys are all better at what McBain would bring anyway. I find Gilbert to be in the same category as McBain except at least Jamie has the untapped potential. The only other defensemen available (right now)- I was hoping for or would like to see come on, outside of Buff, would be Leopold. He'd provide a good veteran presence, along with 2-way play, to the back end. He's another I wouldn't expect to accept an offer though.

Quote:
I think Butler is a good addition. Buff with is blast from the point would be an ideal weapon, but at this point I'm not expecting to see him on the team. I'm surprised Jack Connolly hasn't been asked to play.
They still have 4 more skaters to add. Probably 2 F + 2 D. I'd hope at this point they're saving those spots for any of the guys that may still be mulling offers (Wheeler, Byfuglien, Pominville) and then hold the rest for any NHL first round exits. Should be no rush at this point, they already have 4 full lines. If some of the impact players still mulling offers want to join, great, if not hold out for some others.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 04-14-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old
04-14-2012, 02:19 PM
William H Bonney

An update on Mike Brown: Eliteprospects have corrected their roster and removed him. Must have been a mix-up when J.T. Brown as named. Phew.

Also, the LA/VAN series is going perfectly. I think Schneider is the most likely impact American goalie to sign up for the squad and his team is currently down 2 games to LA. Now, I'm an LA fan so this series is still far from over but it's going perfectly. I can't stand Vancouver, my team could advance, and it could open up the #1 goalie we need in Schneider (It would open up a #1 either way but I don't think Quick would play unfortunately.) Would be huge to add a Schneider but hopefully there's at least 2-3 goalies that become available for us after the first round wraps up. Lots of options could open up with Thomas, Quick, Schneider, Howard, Anderson, Clemmensen, and Johnson. I think USAH has probably already contacted Jack Campbell and that if they can bring in a NHL #1 for the team, they'll want to bring Jack along for the ride as well.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 04-14-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old
04-14-2012, 02:26 PM
William H Bonney

My lines if the team had to play a game tomorrow:

Forwards (x12):

Nathan Gerbe - Paul Stastny (A) - Bobby Ryan (A)
Max Pacioretty - Jim Slater - Kyle Okposo
Joey Crabb - Nate Thompson - Cam Atkinson
J.T. Brown - Pat Dwyer - Ryan Lasch

Defense (x6):

Jack Johnson (C) - Jeff Petry
Alex Goligoski - Justin Faulk
Cam Fowler - Chris Butler

Goalies (x1):

Richard Bachman

I think this team, as is, can win a medal outside of the unknown goalie situation. The roster can get much better as well since they still have 4 skater and 2 goalies spots to use.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:42 PM
CDeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Ryan Lasch (@lascher19) tweet: "Thanks everyone for the congratulatory messages. Pretty excited to have the opportunity to play for the U.S National Team."
I like Lasch's enthusiasm. Who knows, his shiftiness and familiarity with the ice could be a huge asset.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
YEAH!!!!!

Save your tears for if guys like TJ Oshie or Corey Schneider decline. ha! The team really needs a #1 goalie and another forward. Looking at the roster right now, one might expect the brass have a goalie up their sleeve but that the forward might be a long shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
You are correct. It looks as if initial press releases were either incorrect or were quoting a hybrid version of the past rules blended with the new format.

- Initial USA Hockey roster release.

- USA Hockey releases regarding the additions of Crabb and Butler.

- IIHF Statutes and Bylaws

It looks as if USAH corrected itself in its recent press releases. I don't see anything in the IIHF rules anymore about the late additions they used to allow (not that you couldn't have a late addition if you're under the max but now you can have those extra players initially). Thanks for the clarification!

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping as well. I think Butler is a fine addition given what's available. The only d-men available at this point worth considering in my mind were/are: Byfuglien, E. Johnson, Whitney, Stuart, McBain, Gilbert and Leopold. EJ wasn't going to play given his back issues and his RFA status. I've never been a big Whitney fan and his skill set isn't really needed given the d-men we already have and he probably declined anyway. Stuart has been underwhelming in this tournament previously. His style isn't really suited for the European style. Byfuglien was obviously offered and is apparently still deciding - they should add a player of his offensive capabilities if he wants to go. I agree that McBain is redundant - I like him and think he's got a lot more room to grow in his game but he's not adding anything they don't already have in Johnson/Fowler/Faulk/Goligoski and those guys are all better at what McBain would bring anyway. I find Gilbert to be in the same category as McBain except at least Jamie has the untapped potential. The only other defensemen available (right now)- I was hoping for or would like to see come on, outside of Buff, would be Leopold. He'd provide a good veteran presence, along with 2-way play, to the back end. He's another I wouldn't expect to accept an offer though.

They still have 4 more skates to add. Probably 2 F + 2 D. I'd hope at this point they're saving those spots for any of the guys that may still be mulling offers (Wheeler, Byfuglien, Pominville) and then hold the rest any NHL first round exits. Should be no rush at this point, they 4 full lines. If some of the impact players still mulling offers want to join, great, if not hold out for some others.

Whitney also has a severe injury with his ankle. Apparently it's the same one that Forsberg had that ended his career. I don't think he was ever going to play.

Agree with the last paragraph. Hopefully we get another forward and a goalie.

Judging by their play so far, Schneider may just be a available and frankly, he's the most likely to play of all the goalies. I kind of think TJ Oshie might be willing to play, being a fringe team USA player if everybody is healthy. Maybe if the Blues drop out my dream is that Schneider and Oshie sign up and then I feel confident this team can do some damage.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:53 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Whitney also has a severe injury with his ankle. Apparently it's the same one that Forsberg had that ended his career. I don't think he was ever going to play.

Poor *******!

Team U.S. of A will be much better when the players from round 1 and 2 of Stanley Cup arrives.

Yandle, Goligoski, Kessler, Booth, Martin, Orpik etc

Old
04-15-2012, 09:48 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Save your tears for if guys like TJ Oshie or Corey Schneider decline. ha! The team really needs a #1 goalie and another forward. Looking at the roster right now, one might expect the brass have a goalie up their sleeve but that the forward might be a long shot.

Judging by their play so far, Schneider may just be a available and frankly, he's the most likely to play of all the goalies. I kind of think TJ Oshie might be willing to play, being a fringe team USA player if everybody is healthy. Maybe if the Blues drop out my dream is that Schneider and Oshie sign up and then I feel confident this team can do some damage.
Oshie would be great to have, but either way between him or Pavelski we hopefully can get one of them to help us after either gets eliminated...

Old
04-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
Poor *******!

Team U.S. of A will be much better when the players from round 1 and 2 of Stanley Cup arrives.

Yandle, Goligoski, Kessler, Booth, Martin, Orpik etc
Goligoski is already on the team. I'm not sure any of the other guys would say yes, and honestly I'm not sure Paul Martin would really help.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:55 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
My lines if the team had to play a game tomorrow:

Forwards (x12):

Nathan Gerbe - Paul Stastny (A) - Bobby Ryan (A)
Max Pacioretty - Jim Slater - Kyle Okposo
Joey Crabb - Nate Thompson - Cam Atkinson
J.T. Brown - Pat Dwyer - Ryan Lasch

Defense (x6):

Jack Johnson (C) - Jeff Petry
Alex Goligoski - Justin Faulk
Cam Fowler - Chris Butler

Goalies (x1):

Richard Bachman

I think this team, as is, can win a medal outside of the unknown goalie situation. The roster can get much better as well since they still have 4 skater and 2 goalies spots to use.

An elite goaltender would do wonders for this roster.

That and someone like Pavelski/Kane/Pominville to up the offense.

Closed Thread