HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Playoff races are coming down to the wire

Old
04-09-2012, 03:46 PM
spd

vCash: 500
That doesn't seem fair that a team like Rochester does not play the Midwest division at all, yet have the chance to beat out one of those teams for a playoff spot Especially when they get to play the other conference so much. I know they want to keep travel costs down, but they need to have more balanced scheduling. I know it will never happen.

I don't like how it looks for Peoria. They are barely holding onto a playoff spot and most teams have 1 or 2 games in hand on them.

spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:54 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd View Post
That doesn't seem fair that a team like Rochester does not play the Midwest division at all, yet have the chance to beat out one of those teams for a playoff spot Especially when they get to play the other conference so much. I know they want to keep travel costs down, but they need to have more balanced scheduling. I know it will never happen.

I don't like how it looks for Peoria. They are barely holding onto a playoff spot and most teams have 1 or 2 games in hand on them.
Yeah, I agree. I like Rochester and their fans. It is too bad that they don't play Milwaukee and haven't for at least 3 or 4 years. Toronto comes here, but not the Amerks. They could make one swing and play Chicago, Rockford and Milwaukee then go home. The Amerks play Grand Rapids, who are 110 miles across Lake Michigan from Milwaukee. It is a 4 hour drive to go around the lake.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Yeah, I agree. I like Rochester and their fans. It is too bad that they don't play Milwaukee and haven't for at least 3 or 4 years. Toronto comes here, but not the Amerks. They could make one swing and play Chicago, Rockford and Milwaukee then go home. The Amerks play Grand Rapids, who are 110 miles across Lake Michigan from Milwaukee. It is a 4 hour drive to go around the lake.
And Peoria. And Chicago is even a close drive to GR!!!

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:40 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Manchester may be fortunate to hang on to that 8th and final spot. Worcester and CT on the road. Finish up at home agaisnt Hershey and St. Johns this weekend.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:05 AM
spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Rochester used to come to Peoria for a game each season. I don't see any reason why all teams can't play at least two road games with each conference team. I say two because that would allow them to play back to back games at Charlotte & Abbotsford. The other west and midwest teams are clustered together so a four game road trip isn't terrible.

I think this concept could be applied for inter-conference games. I don't expect to see every team each season, but I think they could set up a rotating divisional set up so every team plays every other team at least once every three seasons. Most of the teams seem to be clustered together except for Abbotsford, St John's, and Charlotte, but I think the first two teams pay travel subsidies.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:40 AM
pelts35.com

Based on the AHL's completely unbalanced schedule, why not do away with divisions and conferences altogether and just have the top 16 teams make the playoffs?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:47 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I like variety in the schedule so no divisions, just conferences. So you play four games (2 H, 2 A) against every team in your conference and 20 games against teams in the other conference (1 H and 1 A) with 10 teams or (2 H, 2 A with 5 teams).

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:17 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I like variety in the schedule so no divisions, just conferences. So you play four games (2 H, 2 A) against every team in your conference and 20 games against teams in the other conference (1 H and 1 A) with 10 teams or (2 H, 2 A with 5 teams).
Simply put, that will never happen in the AHL.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:18 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I know it won't, but I can dream.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Based on the AHL's completely unbalanced schedule, why not do away with divisions and conferences altogether and just have the top 16 teams make the playoffs?
i think teams would complain about travel costs if they did that. its probably the main reason why a majority of the league doesnt travel more then 1 time zone on road trips.
Add into that the league is palying 76 instead of 82 games its fewer opportunities to have road trips out west.
there were teams in the Eastern Conf. the Monarchs didnt play. Which to me is freakin ridiculous.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Blasphemer!!!!! The lord da shall strike you down!! We should have all the games played but only the first place team in the West makes it to the playoffs with the 15 teams in the east.

Actually, they could do like the SEL and DEL and stuff, just bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
i think teams would complain about travel costs if they did that. its probably the main reason why a majority of the league doesnt travel more then 1 time zone on road trips.
Add into that the league is palying 76 instead of 82 games its fewer opportunities to have road trips out west.
there were teams in the Eastern Conf. the Monarchs didnt play. Which to me is freakin ridiculous.
Who in the east did the Monarchs not play? I count 14 teams that they played. Charlotte is no longer in the east.

Also, the teams complain about travel costs now. The teams that go to Abbotsford have their costs paid by the heat, as was done with the moose and the grizzlies before.

And the lord da response when asked why those teams get to play the eastern conference his all knowing oz response was "somebody has to". So sayeth the lord da as he counts 1, 2, five, three your highness, three.....

Old
04-10-2012, 12:44 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Okay, so why did you feel the need to mention another scenario that will never happen either? Just to give the old "It is what it is" bit?

The *****ing about the alignment and the schedule has gotten so old.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:17 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Au contraire, there would be absolutely no change to travel costs. Teams would continue to play their unbalanced schedules and the top 16 teams would make the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal
Okay, so why did you feel the need to mention another scenario that will never happen either? Just to give the old "It is what it is" bit?

The *****ing about the alignment and the schedule has gotten so old
My apologies, I should have added the sarcasm smiley. I'm well aware that they won't do away with the divisions and conferences.

The *****ing about alignment and schedule has gotten old, you are right. It's a shame that the league won't do something about it so that we can find something else to ***** about.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:21 PM
MrCleveland

Though Lake Erie Monsters are in 2nd Place in their Division, I feel it's too little...too late!

Cleveland will NEVER Win a Championship!

MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:33 AM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland View Post
Though Lake Erie Monsters are in 2nd Place in their Division, I feel it's too little...too late!

Cleveland will NEVER Win a Championship!
Divisional placement means nothing for the playoffs. And I'm not exactly sure I know anyone that cares if their team wins their division in the regular season for more than the playoff seeding.

LEM still has a chance to make the playoffs, they've been playing well of late.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 11:40 AM
BTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Who in the east did the Monarchs not play?
Norfolk and Syracuse. Portland didn't play them either this year. We also didn't see Albany.

BTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:00 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
Divisional placement means nothing for the playoffs. And I'm not exactly sure I know anyone that cares if their team wins their division in the regular season for more than the playoff seeding.

They are definitely right in the thick of things. Great race for the last 4 spots in the West.

Old
04-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTV View Post
Norfolk and Syracuse. Portland didn't play them either this year. We also didn't see Albany.
I'll give you Norfolk and Syracuse but they played Albany 2/25 at home and 12/30 on the road.

Last edited by Tommy Hawk: 04-12-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old
04-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Gearhead82
Saginaw Gears 72-83

Even if Peoria gets in, They'd probably lose in 4 or 5 games anyway.

Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:12 PM
spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivermenfan91 View Post
Even if Peoria gets in, They'd probably lose in 4 or 5 games anyway.
That's probably true, although I have hopes since there is no way they would have to play Houston in the first round. Those guys have killed Peoria in the playoffs.

Old
04-13-2012, 06:36 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post

I care. I would like the Ads to win their division. Chicago would have lose out for Milwaukee to catch them, so it won't happen this season.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Saturday's Clinching Scenarios per the AHL website:

Syracuse clinches a playoff berth on Saturday with:
(a) a win vs. Connecticut AND a Manchester regulation loss vs. Hershey

San Antonio clinches a playoff berth on Saturday with:
(a) a point at Houston, OR
(b) a Charlotte regulation loss at Rockford

Lake Erie clinches a playoff berth on Saturday with:
(a) a win vs. Rochester
(b) an OTL/SOL vs. Rochester AND a Houston loss (reg/OT/SO) vs. San Antonio AND a Milwaukee regulation loss at Chicago AND a Charlotte regulation loss at Rockford

Rochester clinches a playoff berth on Saturday with:
(a) a win at Lake Erie AND one of: (1) a Houston loss (reg/OT/SO) vs. San Antonio; (2) a Milwaukee regulation loss at Chicago; (3) a Charlotte regulation loss at Rockford
(b) an OTL/SOL at Lake Erie AND a Houston regulation loss vs. San Antonio AND a Milwaukee regulation loss at Chicago AND a Charlotte regulation loss at Rockford

Milwaukee clinches a playoff berth on Saturday with:
(a) a win at Chicago AND one of: (1) a Houston loss (reg/OT/SO) vs. San Antonio; (2) a Charlotte regulation loss at Rockford

Charlotte clinches a playoff berth on Saturday with:
(a) a regulation/OT win at Rockford AND a Houston loss (reg/OT/SO) vs. San Antonio, OR
(b) a shootout win at Rockford AND a Houston loss (reg/OT/SO) vs. San Antonio AND a Lake Erie win or regulation loss vs. Rochester

Oklahoma City clinches the #1 seed in the Western Conference on Saturday with:
(a) a point at Texas

04-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

So many important games tonight. Love seeing it come down to the wire (for the other guys). A few teams could be disappointed at the end of the evening.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:24 PM
BTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
I'll give you Norfolk and Syracuse but they played Albany 2/25 at home and 12/30 on the road.
"We" in this case refers to Portland.

BTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:35 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

A Monarchs win in any form on Sunday and they are in. still could get into 7th. But a win is more then likely 8th. Which means Norfolk.