HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 1)

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Petes1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Rumour though not confirmed has the spits trying to trade both Euros Pavelka and Koko,prior to the import draft,as well as trading one or both of next years 1st rd euro picks,as an attempt to move up in the draft. Comments?
If true I bet Dave Reid's going to be in on that.

He's been on record saying he wants to get older next season, and he blames himself for this past season not having enough veterans. He's missed the playoffs twice in a row and needs to make a statement. The Petes have an open European spot after Martschini signed in Switzerland. The Petes have the 9th pick, I can't see Windsor moving up any higher then that. Erie and Kingston both need to build around the two recent drafts.

If next years European pick is also being dangled, the Petes would have interest as they'd lose both Khoklachev and Ceresnak after this coming season.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Ottomatic

Are we looking to get two imports out of this years draft? Only way I trade Koko is if we're getting two top imports from this years class. We have next years Niagara pick which could be valuable given they should be a bottom feeder next season.

We only have four move up options - Erie, Kingston, Petes and Soo. I don't think Soo is moving up enough to matter. I suspect Erie would want to make a big splash with a top Import pick to pair with McDavid so I think Kingston and the Petes would be the two teams we'd be looking at. And they pick #6 and #9.

Given Koko is in the final year in the OHL (we better get OA protection just in case), pairing him with next years import would make sense for the acquiring team.

I'd try to move up to #3 and #6 - trade Koko to Erie along with our next years pick for the #3 overall. They get somebody elite to put with McDavid. Then offer Pavelka, our #15 overall and Niagara's import pick next year to Kingston for the 6th overall.

With Schmaltz and Sieloff not coming over, I think Haag would need to be one of our picks. Maybe with that little Russian being the other.

We could include other players as well - Clarke, Devlin, Czinder, Braithwaite types.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Only way I can accept dealing Koko is if we have a player coming back with equal talent.
Or a little lesser talent (with room to improve) and a year younger, or a guaranteed OA season with us in 2014.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes1 View Post
If true I bet Dave Reid's going to be in on that.

He's been on record saying he wants to get older next season, and he blames himself for this past season not having enough veterans. He's missed the playoffs twice in a row and needs to make a statement. The Petes have an open European spot after Martschini signed in Switzerland. The Petes have the 9th pick, I can't see Windsor moving up any higher then that. Erie and Kingston both need to build around the two recent drafts.

If next years European pick is also being dangled, the Petes would have interest as they'd lose both Khoklachev and Ceresnak after this coming season.
Koko and next years pick (we could use Niagara's import pick which could be a much better one) would need to have more than #9th overall import coming back - in my opinion.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Petes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Koko and next years pick (we could use Niagara's import pick which could be a much better one) would need to have more than #9th overall import coming back - in my opinion.
I wasn't saying that's all there would be to the deal. I was just providing reasons it makes sense for the two teams.

I can't see Erie or Kingston interested in 19 year olds, when Erie now has McDavid to build around, and Kingston has arguably the best group 17 and under. It wouldn't benefit either team to pick up a one and done player when they can add a significant 17/18 year old to their lineups.

Peterborough on the other hand has to build around Puempel and Quine because they're in their final year, and Dave Reid and Mike Pelino have to make the playoffs to save their jobs.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes1 View Post
I wasn't saying that's all there would be to the deal. I was just providing reasons it makes sense for the two teams.

I can't see Erie or Kingston interested in 19 year olds, when Erie now has McDavid to build around, and Kingston has arguably the best group 17 and under. It wouldn't benefit either team to pick up a one and done player when they can add a significant 17/18 year old to their lineups.

Peterborough on the other hand has to build around Puempel and Quine because they're in their final year, and Dave Reid and Mike Pelino have to make the playoffs to save their jobs.
Yes but Kingston needs a goalie in the worst way. Even if Pavelka us a obe abd done he could be valuable to any young goalie Kingston has.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Petes1

Quote:
Yes but Kingston needs a goalie in the worst way. Even if Pavelka us a obe abd done he could be valuable to any young goalie Kingston has.
For the 6th overall pick though?

Would you give up the 6th overall pick, that has the potential to be a 1st line player for 2-3 years just to bring in Pavelka for a year?

Or would you trade a couple higher-mid round picks and bring in a veteran for a year?

6th overall pick is far more valuable to Kingston then a rental goalie they could get much cheaper elsewhere. Mike Morrison will probably cost a 3rd/4th round pick down the road.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:11 PM
OHLFan8771

How many more years would Pavelka be in the league, its two right? assuming he plays his OA year?

Old
04-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
How many more years would Pavelka be in the league, its two right? assuming he plays his OA year?
Yes. Hes ranked 24th among NA goalies so the chances of him being drafted is small. He will probably be back for an OA year unless he goes to play pro in Europe.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:30 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Yes. Hes ranked 24th among NA goalies so the chances of him being drafted is small. He will probably be back for an OA year unless he goes to play pro in Europe.
Ok that is what i thought, I know Erie is in need of a goalie for the next two years but I just do not see them trading that 3rd pick for Pavelka.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:37 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Ok that is what i thought, I know Erie is in need of a goalie for the next two years but I just do not see them trading that 3rd pick for Pavelka.
I agree somewhat of what u are saying however Erie if they picking someone better be sure he is coming,irrespective of McDavid they are still an organization that agents steer their clients away from
Last year it was Kingston and Erie,followed by Saginaw and Plymouth
At least with Pavelka he would report,probably good for 2 years as opposed to a 17 year old tender with no experience
Erie already has a 17 year old tender,cant see how another helps

Old
04-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Sec108

Quote:
What a perfect situation having Pav 2 more yrs and De Kort under his wing.

As Pav exits De Kort has our next young goalie under his wing and keep that system going.

IMO Pav played spectacular and kept us in those games with a young team and D in front of him, just think what he can do for us this year.

Lets make a run and see where things stand at the deadline in regards to Koko.I know WR wants another euro pick but fans want to win the next 2 seasons and well we will accept the consequences in 15'.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:56 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
I agree somewhat of what u are saying however Erie if they picking someone better be sure he is coming,irrespective of McDavid they are still an organization that agents steer their clients away from
Last year it was Kingston and Erie,followed by Saginaw and Plymouth
At least with Pavelka he would report,probably good for 2 years as opposed to a 17 year old tender with no experience
Erie already has a 17 year old tender,cant see how another helps
I see exactly what you are saying but I wonder if they have their eye on a goalie of more caliber than Pavelka(no disrespect to him) Erie surprisingly can do well in the import draft, the last few years they brought Janus, Sadikov, and Olden over.

I know there are some big goaltending prospects out there, its just a matter of will they report.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Ottomatic

Does Sondre Olden play as an OA Import for the Otters? Otherwise Spits could trade Pavelka and our #15 pick to move up to #3 as Erie would have two import spots to fill and could do so with Pavelka and the #15.

We'd probably to have to throw in another player or high midget draft pick.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:19 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Does Sondre Olden play as an OA Import for the Otters? Otherwise Spits could trade Pavelka and our #15 pick to move up to #3 as Erie would have two import spots to fill and could do so with Pavelka and the #15.

We'd probably to have to throw in another player or high midget draft pick.
I doubt Olden returns to Erie as an O/A,so yes they should be in the market for 2 Euros

Old
04-14-2012, 02:32 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
I doubt Olden returns to Erie as an O/A,so yes they should be in the market for 2 Euros
Im not sure if Olden would return, I think there is a higher chance than most people think because he started the year playing well and his production real tapered off during the year (only 32 points all season). He is a great player and I think he has what it takes to play in the AHL and NHL but one more year of juniors might not hurt.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 04-14-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old
04-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Im not sure if Olden would return, I think there is a higher chance than most people think because he started the year playing well and his production real tapered off during the year (only 32 points all season). He is a great player and I think he has what it takes to play in the AHL and NHL but one more year of juniors might not hurt.
Depends on the Leafs at this point. I assume they give players the choice of ECHL or returning to juniors if they don't have a spot for them with the Marlies. Mitchell chose Spits a couple of years ago and Devane chose the Whalers. On the other hand Kenny Ryan chose to go to the ECHL rather than return for OA season with the Spits.

Old
04-14-2012, 03:07 PM
WindsorGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I can't speak for all Universities, but I know U of Windsor gives (or at least did 10-years ago in my first go-around) free tuition for employees children. (no, I didn't have it, but the possibility was there)
Yes, the U of Windsor does still give free tuition for employees and their dependants. This is definitely not the case at all universities in Ontario. Western only gives a 50% credit for dependant tuition; others give nothing. I work there, and that free tuition became my RESP planning for my kids. My daughter currently enjoys her free tuition, and I have daily requests to "adopt" university-aged children!

Last edited by WindsorGirl: 04-14-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old
04-14-2012, 04:09 PM
OHLTG

Only way I deal Koko right now is if you get a really solid offensive talent in return. We saw what this team did without Koko in the playoffs so, despite adding Ho-Sang, you need that veteran presence.

Old
04-14-2012, 05:39 PM
cfaub

I think the idea of dealing both Khokhlachev and Pavelka opens up a lot of possibilities for Windsor. I have always been in favour of the idea of bringing in two imports this season and still believe, even though there are some drawbacks to dealing either one of them the benefits should outwiegh the possible downfalls.

First is who would be in the market for these two or has room to take them without hurting their current line up?

For Khokhlachev it would look like Barrie, Belleville, London, Peterborough, Plymouth and Saginaw are teams that should be in a position to have strong season or at least need to have a strong season. All of those teams should have room to add an import but not all would make good trading partners in a deal for Khokhlachev unless Rychel is simply after picks.

For Pavelka I think you find a more limited market since he is not likely going to see a lot of interest from the stronger teams unless they need a solid back up which would not likely be used by an import. Erie, Kingston, Mississauga and perhaps Sudbury and Sarnia are all teams that could make room for an import goaltender without it hurting their plans for the next couple of seasons. These are teams that if they add Pavelka can afford to move other players/import picks to continue adding towards the future.

What I would like to see is something like the following

To Belleville

Khokhlachev
Czinder (92/OA)
Windsor's 1st rnd import in 2013

To Windsor

Belleville's 1st rnd import in 2014
2nd rnd pick in 2013
2nd rnd pick in 2014
3rd rnd pick in 2015
2nd rnd pick in 2016 (cond. if Khokhlachev returns for an OA season)
Rights to Michael McCarron (95, currently USNTDP, 6'4", 230 on draft day 2011)

Simliar value to the Kuhnhackl deal IMO.

To Erie/Kingston

Pavelka
Clarke (94)
Smith (95) or Studnicka (95) Would not want to lose either of them at this point.
Braithwaite (92/OA)
Niagara 1st rnd import in 2013

To Windsor

Erie/Kingston 1st rnd import in 2012

Can't think of a comparable for a deal with Erie or Kingston except when we gave up Wilson to OS to move up. If we can hold off on adding picks, doubtfull I think it would definitely be a solid deal for Windsor.

If Windsor could pull off two deals similar to these we would keep our own import pick at 15 as well as move up to 3 or 6. It would add assets for future deals as well as hopefully not cost us much in picks going the other way. Windsor could hopefully add two of the Russian forwards, Russian goaltender or the Swedish Dman or whoever else Rychel has his eye on.

My guess with this type of move is that Rychel is looking at a couple of Russians, likely represented by Larionov and he wants to place them both together.

Just some thoughts on it.

Old
04-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Ottomatic

I wonder if Khokhlachev is being made available to see if we could entice Schmaltz over by offering the potential for top 6 minutes. It was said that Warren Rychel promised him minutes, but we'd have a pretty locked in top six, even top nine. And no way he comes over for fourth line scraps.

I don't think Koko is moved - especially since it's Kerby's draft year and Koko got Kerby a lot of goals last year. We need more skill - and trading Koko would be doing the very opposite of what was a stated off-season goal.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Smashhouse92

I think next season that we should have somewhat of a season like Barrie had this year. Barrie went 40-23-5 finished third in the east, Beat Missy 4-2 and are leading Ottawa 3-2. if they really want the bid then we have to win 1 round and Challenge the other team in the Second round.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:42 PM
hockeylegend11

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashhouse92 View Post
I think next season that we should have somewhat of a season like Barrie had this year. Barrie went 40-23-5 finished third in the east, Beat Missy 4-2 and are leading Ottawa 3-2. if they really want the bid then we have to win 1 round and Challenge the other team in the Second round.
I would agree with that as long windsor gets improvement from everybody as well as outstanding performances from any newcomers

Old
04-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Sheik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashhouse92 View Post
I would like to see a nice improvement somewhere along those lines as well. If we trade Koko and presumably Pavelka and bring in two Euro rookies and have to find a quality tender to go with Dekort than that vision seems a little dicier. It scares me to get rid of koko and not have him for any of the season.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Smashhouse92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
I would like to see a nice improvement somewhere along those lines as well. If we trade Koko and presumably Pavelka and bring in two Euro rookies and have to find a quality tender to go with Dekort than that vision seems a little dicier. It scares me to get rid of koko and not have him for any of the season.
Good points but if we trade KOKO and Pavelka we will have to get picks and at least 1 Goalie out of it. I think getting a goalie like Windsor in Saginaw or Chartland in Belleville shouldnt cost us all that much, while D'Agostini in Peterbrough and Palazzese in Kitchener would cost a little more but not alot more. Those 4 should be the Goalies WR should go after to play about 40-48 games while Dekort i think needs to play 20-28 games next season

Closed Thread