HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2012, 09:52 PM
miscreant
Charles in Charge!

vCash: 500
Just from what I could tell from the highlight vid, Galchenyuk may be a better candidiate to move to the wing that Strome. Like the way he goes to the net and into the corners. His shot would look great on JT's wing.

Old
04-13-2012, 10:48 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Was just looking at old picks, and noticed in 2009 we traded a second rounder to Columbus for a third and fourth rounder.

The second rounder just finished his junior year as a center at U Michigan with a whopping 13 points in 39 games.

The third rounder was Nilsson, the fourth was Cizikas. Pretty excellent trade and use of assets.

Old
04-13-2012, 11:11 PM
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Was just looking at old picks, and noticed in 2009 we traded a second rounder to Columbus for a third and fourth rounder.

The second rounder just finished his junior year as a center at U Michigan with a whopping 13 points in 39 games.

The third rounder was Nilsson, the fourth was Cizikas. Pretty excellent trade and use of assets.
LIES!!!! Snow is horrible at asset management and could never have made a good trade!!1!!!11

Old
04-13-2012, 11:17 PM
seabass45

I have a weird feeling that we're going to have a bunch of different draft rankings from here to June. Thinking back to years past, Larsson was once a probable top 2, maybe even #1? Huberdeau skyrocketed because of a clutch postseason. Kessel drops because he didn't do well in the interview portion. Potential for lots of movement this year. Will be nice to one day be enjoying the playoffs instead of debating this stuff.

My first instinct is that Galchenyuk has a Brett Connolly-like drop, due to the amount of time lost to injury, but maybe that's just being hopeful.

Old
04-13-2012, 11:20 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Lots of talk tonight about Couturier's hat trick. I'm actually more impressed by his all-around play this year (Laviolette has been putting him out there with a 1 goal lead late all year). But I'm sure the offense will come more regularly as he matures. Which reminds me of draft time last year when so many were saying he was another Jordan Staal with limited offensive upside. Meanwhile, he had a better points-per-game than any other top prospect, whereas Staal had 68 points in 68 games in his draft year and has never been a point-per-game player in the NHL. And Couturier had 11 more points in 1 less game than Grigorenko has this year, but you'd think Grigorenko is an offensive stud by comparison?

Anyway, I guess the point of all this is that people may not see players, but there is something to be said for properly balancing production vs. projection. And even the scouts and the "experts" get it wrong more than they get it right. Heck, Claude Giroux had 103 points in his draft year, and he lasted until the 22nd pick probably b/c professional scouts thought his game wouldn't translate to the NHL. Jeff Skinner scored 70 goals in his draft year, and then the Canes were geniuses for drafting him b/c he scored goals in the NHL?

Old
04-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Bauer Warrior*

I think it's unfair to indict Ryan Strome at this point. He hasn't had a chance to prove or disprove his worth yet. What's annyoing is that those of us who are accusing this team of avoiding the toughness issue are absolutely right.

I think Strome is going to be an exciting player. I think he'll score points. I think that his chemistry with John Tavares [not necessarily on the same line, but more so in the locker room] will be good for this team. But God! We have to get tougher!

Old
04-14-2012, 03:22 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
An interesting mention by a previous poster about what happens if the first three picks are Yakupov, Galchenyuk and Grigorenko, with us staring at four.

Its been my assertion on this forum that second line center is the biggest need, even ahead of defense. With the two stud centers off the board and ALL of the defensemen still to pick do we pull a Bailey-like scenario and offer Anaheim the pick, and then go down again to around 9, to pick up one of:

Forsberg
Reilly
Murray
Reinhart
Trouba
Dumba

If we can't draft Galchenyuk or Grigorenko then I would be agnostic on any of these other players with the extra picks we could gather.

Sounds like under this scenario we really could hit a home run.
Hmm, interesting post. I didn't think much about this but definitely could see this as a possibility. With such a strong draft, but a big drop off from top 3 this could be a smart move. I would trust that if the Isles do this it's not a bad move. The Bailey draft is not something i'm counting as a loss because of what they got for the picks they gained and the fact that none of the guys drafted around Bailey's spot have done too much. This might be a likely scenario.

I also agree with the first guy to quote your post in that if they do see something in one of those guys that greatly outweighs what they see in others they will probably stay where they are at. Honestly, the draft can't come soon enough I had waiting, lol.

Old
04-14-2012, 05:07 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
  • Murray is projected to be a very safe and above average defenceman for 10+ years.
  • Reilly, if he comes back from a torn ACL (and he's starting to play again this week), could be a Brian Leetch type in terms of skating and smarts/vision.
I haven't seen Rielly (no, that's not a typo - he spells it with the e and i switched) this season, but I did see just about all of his games at the U18 last spring and nothing had me thinking 'Brian Leetch type'.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:47 AM
StrongIslanders90

" If you want to improve in a HURRY, then draft Ryan Murray"

Old
04-14-2012, 08:56 AM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
if you want a player that won't suck, draft Galyenchuk

if you want a player that will rumba, draft Dumba

if you want a player that is as cool as an iceberg, draft Forsberg

any prospects named Tucker?

Old
04-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
... And Johnny Cochrane has been resurrected and infiltrated this board.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:42 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
I think it's unfair to indict Ryan Strome at this point. He hasn't had a chance to prove or disprove his worth yet. What's annyoing is that those of us who are accusing this team of avoiding the toughness issue are absolutely right.

I think Strome is going to be an exciting player. I think he'll score points. I think that his chemistry with John Tavares [not necessarily on the same line, but more so in the locker room] will be good for this team. But God! We have to get tougher!
In the first round, especially in the top half, you draft for skill. Any team that goes out of their way to draft for toughness is moronic. Even Bryan "can't wait to get tougher" Burke stated at the lottery that with the 5th pick he's looking for skill over toughness. Skill wins games. Toughness protects the skill players on your team and wears out the skill players on the other team.

With the 5th pick the Isles need to swing for fences once more.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
In the first round, especially in the top half, you draft for skill. Any team that goes out of their way to draft for toughness is moronic. Even Bryan "can't wait to get tougher" Burke stated at the lottery that with the 5th pick he's looking for skill over toughness. Skill wins games. Toughness protects the skill players on your team and wears out the skill players on the other team.

With the 5th pick the Isles need to swing for fences once more.
We use our 2nd to improve our defensive prospect depth. Severson, Thrower, Skjei, Bystrom, Lindholm all could be on the Board at 34th Overall.

With the 4th Overall Pick, we have a chance at one of the Big Four: Forsberg, Yakupov (Not likely), Galchenyuk, and Grigorenko.

I also wouldn't mind us trading down to get another 2nd Round Pick. We can take a defenseman in the 1st and then one of Hertl, Marcantuoni, or maybe even Teravainen if he drops that far and a decent defenseman.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Isles Junkie

so many mock drafts have us going off the board. Some only slightly off the board by going for Forsberg, & others drafting Rielly, Trouba. One of them has us picking Dumba with Murray still on the board & then the Leafs picking Murray and the little blurb goes on to day "The Leafs get the best Dman in the draft."

so many people expect us to fudge this up somehow.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
so many mock drafts have us going off the board. Some only slightly off the board by going for Forsberg, & others drafting Rielly, Trouba. One of them has us picking Dumba with Murray still on the board & then the Leafs picking Murray and the little blurb goes on to day "The Leafs get the best Dman in the draft."

so many people expect us to fudge this up somehow.
There's a bias against us, that's for sure.

In 2009, several mocks had us picking Victor Hedman or Matt Duchene, and then after we picked Tavares, many said we should have picked Duchene... ugh, we can't win.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:04 PM
seafoam

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
We use our 2nd to improve our defensive prospect depth. Severson, Thrower, Skjei, Bystrom, Lindholm all could be on the Board at 34th Overall.

With the 4th Overall Pick, we have a chance at one of the Big Four: Forsberg, Yakupov (Not likely), Galchenyuk, and Grigorenko.

I also wouldn't mind us trading down to get another 2nd Round Pick. We can take a defenseman in the 1st and then one of Hertl, Marcantuoni, or maybe even Teravainen if he drops that far and a decent defenseman.
Something along the lines of this. Personally I think we should try to grab an bonafide offensive stud with our first pick. (Galchenyuk is my number one choice, Forsberg would be a nice consolation prize but would rather have Murray if Galchenyuk is off the board) Edit: Assuming MTL falls in love with Grigerenko because of the Roy connection.

For those wanting Dumba, there are plenty of tough, rugged defenseman who can be had with our picks in rounds 2-7. (Thrower, Severson, Rissling) Plus, we have Pedan developing nicely and Mayfeild at Denver. Drafting Dumba isn't going to give this team toughness any quicker than those two blueliners.

I doubt we trade down. Assuming Yakupov goes number one, were going to get one of Galchenyuk, Murray, Forsberg, or Grigorenko.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Also, you look at drafts past, and see how players trickled into the league. In 1988, for example:

Mike Modano is taken first overall by the Minnesota North Stars, Trevor Linden is taken 2nd, and because Linden came right into the NHL and Modano was sent back to Compuware because of a contract dispute, there was thought that maybe the North Stars should have taken Linden instead.

Then when Modano came into the fold in 1989-90, the North Stars organization wanted him to shoot more, and after he turned the corner, he appeared to be the right pick. But at the same time, there was quite a buzz about Jeremy Roenick, and maybe he should have gone first. And this would be on the burner for a few years.

But then, in 1992-93, the 10th overall pick from 1988 came into the league. That player's name was Teemu Selanne.

So, though Couturier is looking really good, it's far too soon to jump the gun on anything. There are several players from the 2011 draft who have yet to set foot on NHL ice.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:11 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
There's a bias against us, that's for sure.

In 2009, several mocks had us picking Victor Hedman or Matt Duchene, and then after we picked Tavares, many said we should have picked Duchene... ugh, we can't win.
I don't care what the mocks say we should do.

Tavares is developing into a beast,while both Hedman and Duchene struggle.
Duchene defense has taken a step back since his rookie season.He doesn't do a good job finding and using his linemates.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I don't care what the mocks say we should do.

Tavares is developing into a beast,while both Hedman and Duchene struggle.
Duchene defense has taken a step back since his rookie season.He doesn't do a good job finding and using his linemates.
The mocks are calculated. It's self-conviction. Ultimately, they're completely meaningless.

Old
04-14-2012, 03:31 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:

are you meaning to say that teravainen can drop to the second round?

Old
04-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
are you meaning to say that teravainen can drop to the second round?
Everything is possible. Like a .05% chance. I'm hoping the Isles take Severson or Pokka in the 2nd Round though. 6'3 and 6'0 respectively, both look to be defensive dmen and Severson has a physical element to his game.

Old
04-14-2012, 03:39 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Everything is possible. Like a .05% chance. I'm hoping the Isles take Severson or Pokka in the 2nd Round though. 6'3 and 6'0 respectively, both look to be defensive dmen and Severson has a physical element to his game.
bob mackenzie has him at 10 so i'm doubting he will fall to the second round.

Old
04-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Konk

Quote:
Also, you look at drafts past, and see how players trickled into the league. In 1988, for example:

Mike Modano is taken first overall by the Minnesota North Stars, Trevor Linden is taken 2nd, and because Linden came right into the NHL and Modano was sent back to Compuware because of a contract dispute, there was thought that maybe the North Stars should have taken Linden instead.

Then when Modano came into the fold in 1989-90, the North Stars organization wanted him to shoot more, and after he turned the corner, he appeared to be the right pick. But at the same time, there was quite a buzz about Jeremy Roenick, and maybe he should have gone first. And this would be on the burner for a few years.

But then, in 1992-93, the 10th overall pick from 1988 came into the league. That player's name was Teemu Selanne.

So, though Couturier is looking really good, it's far too soon to jump the gun on anything. There are several players from the 2011 draft who have yet to set foot on NHL ice.
Great post. Perfect examples to relate current situations to and they succintly illustrate that we won't be able to conclusively say anything about this kids for at least a few years.

Old
04-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
bob mackenzie has him at 10 so i'm doubting he will fall to the second round.
Alright, he won't fall to the 2nd Round. That will allow us to take a defenseman like last year with Mayfield.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:36 PM
LotteryForLife*

I know how bad you guys all seem to want a defenseman and in many ways you are right but I still think we have to take the best player available and at #4, I think that may be Filip Forsberg. This kid would be a great compliment to JT, and most feel he is gonna be a star. I think if we pass on him, we may be looking back at this draft saying "how did we ever pass on this guy?"

Closed Thread