HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

April 20 update: JVR removed from LTIR, will play tonight (foot surgery, March 6)

Old
04-14-2012, 01:30 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Rinaldo played 6 minutes and 4 minutes respectively in the two games, and took a minor penalty in each.

If JVR can play at all, you put him in. Worse case, he gets a few shifts a period to get his rhythm back and hopefully set up another break-out performance later in the playoffs..
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Meszaros is not available JVR might be. You and I both know that JVR can play 7-9min at list at the beginning and be effective. Yeah he's had a crappy year but it's ok.

Hartnell Giroux Jagr
Schenn Briere Simmonds
Wellwood/JVR Couturier Voracek
Wellwood Read Talbot
I am FAR from Rinaldo's biggest fan, probably on the side that doesnt like him at all, but I do think his energy is effective. That being said, the 4-6 minutes a game he plays shows that Lavy doesnt trust him in a defensive role (which his fans have said he can play in but obviously Lavy and most of us know he cant).

I guess Im looking at this from the standpoint that a JVR who has been injuried multiple different ways will be alittle timid when playing. It doesnt matter how much skill he has, if he isnt playing up tempo he wont be effective.

But I guess I'd be fine if he played in game 4 if we win game 3. That being said, I dont do what you did nitro and completely mix up the lines on the bottom pairing. Voracek and Read have some good chemistry, as do Talbot and Couturier. There is 0 way that they break up our defensive line of Wellwood-Couturier-Talbot just to get JVR going.

JVR-Read-Voracek
Wellwood-Couturier-Talbot

Is what I'd do if JVR is 100% ready to play.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:51 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Tim P @ CSN:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...298&feedID=695

Quote:
He said he began skating either Monday or Tuesday, but wasn’t sure.

“You want to get to the point where you can contribute out there,” JVR said. “It’s one of those things where it’s tough to jump in this time of year.

“But the team has done a great job. I’m doing what I can to stay positive, be a good team guy, a cheerleader and focus on getting myself healthy to get back in the lineup.”

He said his return is uncertain.

“We’re taking it day-by-day,” he said. “Just kinda go from there.”

It’s highly unlikely the Flyers would stick him back in the lineup this series given the chemistry right now, the fact they are up 2-0, and there are no known injuries among the forwards.

Also, JVR is still wearing protective gear, such as a shell on his left skate boot during practice, and has a modified walking boot. In other words, while he is skating, he is likely not at 100 percent. Yet.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Damaged Goods

If they lose Game 3, JVR would be a big boost for Game 4. Everyone remembers what he did last year.

If they win Game 3, it's a great opportunity to ease JVR back into the roster for a near-certain appearance in round 2.

If he's ready, I see no reason why you wouldn't want to bolster your lineup. Rinaldo is having a minimal impact on this series. His reputation and lack of veteran standing make him too much of a risk to get any serious ice time in playoff hockey. I think the odds of him drawing more penalties than he takes are not good.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:03 PM
HyPnOtiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
That smells like game 7 or RD 2 to me... Hopefully RD 2

HyPnOtiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:03 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Lol, almost exactly the same thing I have said. Good to know JVR and I are on the same page here (and I guess Timmy P also )

Old
04-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

But I guess I'd be fine if he played in game 4 if we win game 3. That being said, I dont do what you did nitro and completely mix up the lines on the bottom pairing. Voracek and Read have some good chemistry, as do Talbot and Couturier. There is 0 way that they break up our defensive line of Wellwood-Couturier-Talbot just to get JVR going.

JVR-Read-Voracek

Is what I'd do if JVR is 100% ready to play.
If JVR is ready to go for 4th game I want him on the ice for 4th game regardless of score in 3rd game.
I do not particularly care on what line and I am fine with him starting slow as long as he gives 100% on his shifts. None of that half ass efforts that sometimes he is famous for. JVR starts skating like he can and driving the net that Pittsburgh d-nce is going to have a lot of problems. Maybe Bylsma will put Orpik on JVR for a few shifts and that will help Jagr.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:26 PM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Would love to have him back. Would be nice to have a fresh body to throw in.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:16 PM
FLYguy3911

Coming back from a broken foot is tough. He's going to need time to get his wind and legs back, not to mention he probably put some weight on (naturally). I wouldn't push him. Schenn and Carter weren't too effective when they came back if you recall.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

There is no need to rush him back unless he is 100%. But saying that, I would welcome him back with open arms when he is ready. He played well in the playoffs and hopefully he can build on that success.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:49 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Run these lines :

Hartnell - Giroux - Jagr
Simmonds - Schenn - Briere
Talbot - Couturier - Voracek
JVR - Wellwood - Read

OR

JVR - Couturier - Talbot
Read - Wellwood - Voracek

PP:
Hartnell - Giroux - Simmonds
Timonen - Voracek

Read/JVR - Schenn - Briere
Carle - Jagr

PK:
Couturier - Read
Giroux - Talbot
Schenn - Wellwood/Voracek

Seems plausible to me. Couts+G+Schenn are the top 3 faceoff guys on this team, and should be taking most of the draws. Wellwood/Read can both take faceoffs, so I'd rather have them together instead of a line of JVR-Read-Voracek. Laviolette will probably not be touching the top 2 lines or the duo of Couts+Talbot. The speed of Wellwood and Read will hopefully allow JVR to ease himself into the game and not have to do all the skating on his line and hopefully he can just find some open ice in the offensive zones and make himself available, and no matter who he plays with on the bottom two lines he'll be playing with some good defensive forwards. Jagr and Briere have probably been the worst defensively so far, but I'd trust everybody else.

phillyflyerfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:13 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I wouldn't put JVR on Couturier's line. JVR isn't good enough defensively to help them. I would put Read or Voracek with Couturier and Talbot.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:25 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
I wouldn't put JVR on Couturier's line. JVR isn't good enough defensively to help them. I would put Read or Voracek with Couturier and Talbot.
but voracek and reemer are ridiculous together..they've got loads of chemistry, its impressive how they trust eachother in the neutral zone.

not saying this year, but once couturier fills out!! o_0
that line will be a whole lot of beef.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:54 AM
FlyersFan61290

like many others on here, my forward lines would be:

Hartnell-G-Jagr
Briere-Schenn-Simmonds
JVR-Read-Voracek

Quote:
i understand not wanting to put JVR on Couturier's line but do you honestly think he's is worse in his own zone then Rinaldo/Wellwood on his wing who Coots has been playing with? I would say JVR is about as good in his own zone as Voracek (not great but above average).

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
i understand not wanting to put JVR on Couturier's line but do you honestly think he's is worse in his own zone then Rinaldo/Wellwood on his wing who Coots has been playing with? I would say JVR is about as good in his own zone as Voracek (not great but above average).
Totally wrong. JVR is terrible defensively.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:17 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Hes not terrible, he's just inconsistent defensively

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:18 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
like many others on here, my forward lines would be:

Hartnell-G-Jagr
Briere-Schenn-Simmonds
JVR-Read-Voracek

Voracek is a lot better defensively. Plus he has the speed and size. JVR is coming off a foot injury so his skating probably won't be 100%.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:40 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
cool bro. if you think JVR is terrible defensively you're out of your mind. as i said i think he's above average thats it.

Quote:
Voracek is a lot better defensively. Plus he has the speed and size. JVR is coming off a foot injury so his skating probably won't be 100%.
i'm not arguing to put him on the coots line all i'm saying is that he'd be an upgrade to rinaldo/wellwood. so maybe jake is better in his own zone i'm just saying i don't see how he could make the current line worse then it is right now.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 04-15-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old
04-15-2012, 11:47 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
cool bro. if you think JVR is terrible defensively you're out of your mind. as i said i think he's above average thats it.

i'm not arguing to put him on the coots line all i'm saying is that he'd be an upgrade to rinaldo/wellwood. so maybe jake is better in his own zone i'm just saying i don't see how he could make the current line worse then it is right now.
See the thing is.... he isnt even above average. He might be average at best. There is a reason that in 3 years he hasnt seen a second of pk time, and barely ever is out there against top opponents.

Wellwood is better defensively than JVR is. Wellwood on that line would be a lot more useful than JVR would be. Actually I think you are underrating Wellwood's defensive abilities. There is a reason why he is sent out there on the pk when Read/Talbot/Giroux/Couturier take a penalty, and why he was out there shift by shift (except a few times when Giroux took it instead) against Malkin's line.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Above average? LOL No. The fact that you think he is as good as Voracek defensively proves you don't even know what you are talking about. I've seen JVR float numerous times coming back to his own zone. His awareness in his own zone is not that good. Maybe me saying he is terrible was harsh but he sure as hell ain't above average or average at all.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:49 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
See the thing is.... he isnt even above average. He might be average at best. There is a reason that in 3 years he hasnt seen a second of pk time, and barely ever is out there against top opponents.

Wellwood is better defensively than JVR is. Wellwood on that line would be a lot more useful than JVR would be.
i'm fairly certain JVR has pk'd in the past just not often (maybe not this year though)

i'll look it up but i don't know where. anyone want to lend a helping hand

Old
04-15-2012, 11:54 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
JVR has pk'd in the past not often but he has
Um.. Im pretty confident he has never been on the pk...

Looking at NHL.com in his 3season he has recorded a total of 6 minutes on the pk....

Putting this in comparison every player on the team has seen more than he has.

Wanted to throwout there Briere has seen more pk time

Old
04-15-2012, 11:55 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Above average? LOL No. The fact that you think he is as good as Voracek defensively proves you don't even know what you are talking about. I've seen JVR float numerous times coming back to his own zone. His awareness in his own zone is not that good. Maybe me saying he is terrible was harsh but he sure as hell ain't above average or average at all.
so now he's not even average. lol

you indeed are out of your mind

Quote:
Um.. Im pretty confident he has never been on the pk...

Looking at NHL.com in his 3season he has recorded a total of 6 minutes on the pk....

Putting this in comparison every player on the team has seen more than he has
my fault maybe i was thinking preseason? i thought he was used as jake was earlier this year. like only out there if one of the regulars was in the box or something

Old
04-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
so now he's not even average. lol

you indeed are out of your mind
You are out of your mind thinking he is as good as Voracek defensively. JVR just isn't good defensively. He is an offensive minded winger. Nothing wrong with that. He is not average at all in his own zone.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:06 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
You are out of your mind thinking he is as good as Voracek defensively. JVR just isn't good defensively. He is an offensive minded winger. Nothing wrong with that. He is not average at all in his own zone.
read some of my other posts, i admitted he's not as good as jake on d. but i guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the rest. i'll even admit he may not be above average but i honestly don't think he's any worse then average.

oh and sorry for the out of your mind comment i don't know you so i shouldn't say stuff like that based on one disagreement we had. i doubt you took it seriously but still

Quote:
Wanted to throwout there Briere has seen more pk time
now i just feel like a horse's ass, thanks for that

Old
04-15-2012, 06:24 PM
rban*

Saw the end of the game, and that hit Couturier took and left the ice. Is he ok?

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote