HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Similar style of play. It doesn't mean Galchenyuk will have a R.Francis career. I've seen Grigo in person in playoffs and I'd rather the Habs go with a gamer. I have a strong feeling Mr Timmins will also go with a gamer.
Except Shanahan was actually physical. Forsberg doesn't hit, so shouldn't the comparison stop there?

Old
04-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingMTL View Post
I'm trying to be original if my comparisons here, what do you guys think?
Grigorenko- More talented Mikko Koivu
Galchenyuk- (Stamkos lite)
Forsberg - (Potential Iginla)
--Grigorenko doesn't have one tenth of Mikko Koivu's heart/grit.
--Galchenyuk isn't close to Stamkos in terms of pure skill or he'd be undisputed #1 pick even with the injury.
--Forsberg and Iginla may be somewhat similar but Forsberg's offensive upside is still under question.

Any of the three above players can go from #2 to roughly #10 in the draft. They all have question marks. There is no surefire forward stud like Seguin going #2 in this draft.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Except Shanahan was actually physical. Forsberg doesn't hit, so shouldn't the comparison stop there?
Forsberg doesn't hit? Well then, who the hell is the guy I've been watching at the WU18 wearing #16 and the "C" on his sweater? I guess I'm really wasting money on the scouting reports I purchase all season long that rave about his physicality.

Incredible!

Old
04-14-2012, 10:17 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Similar style of play. It doesn't mean Galchenyuk will have a R.Francis career. I've seen Grigo in person in playoffs and I'd rather the Habs go with a gamer. I have a strong feeling Mr Timmins will also go with a gamer.
You know, the other day he tweeted that he beat his friends at Call of Duty. You might be onto something

Old
04-14-2012, 10:18 PM
ReppingMTL

Quote:
--Grigorenko doesn't have one tenth of Mikko Koivu's heart/grit.
--Galchenyuk isn't close to Stamkos in terms of pure skill or he'd be undisputed #1 pick even with the injury.
--Forsberg and Iginla may be somewhat similar but Forsberg's offensive upside is still under question.

Any of the three above players can go from #2 to roughly #10 in the draft. They all have question marks. There is no surefire forward stud like Seguin going #2 in this draft.
I totally agree but to the minimal q scouts I have talked to, Koivu was somewhat a very similar player in style before his draft. Since then, Koivu has evolved his two-way game.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Forsberg doesn't hit? Well then, who the hell is the guy I've been watching at the WU18 wearing #16 and the "C" on his sweater? I guess I'm really wasting money on the scouting reports I purchase all season long that rave about his physicality.

Incredible!
I don't know, the people saying it are Swedish. I put more stock in people who actually watch them play all year than people reading stuff online.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:24 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingMTL View Post
Some of the bashing here on Forsberg is ridiculous. Even in the U-18, he might not be on the scoresheet but if you watch the game, rather than assessing the scoresheet, you would see he is definitely the best player on the ice. On top of all that, he plays tough and forceful and will definitely be able to compete against NHL men. Also, he's listed at 6'2 and is a righty. Righty's that are big are usually valued a little more because naturally they tend to score more. Take it as a grain of salt, but most righty's in the NHL are goal scorers because it's easier for their centermen( who are mostly left-handed) to pass them the puck. Guys like Dany Heatley, Brett Hull, Alex Ovechkin, Steven Stamkos, Ilya Kovulchuck and even Phil Kessel are all rightys. Still, my first pick would be Galchenyuk but I'm all for a well-rounded Swede
In the U-18, I would agree with you that Forsberg was the best player on the ice: during the first game. Even though he's "only" scored twice in two games, he's had an okay/good tournament.

During the second game he didn't look so good. I'd like to see him step up and **** **** up.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:26 PM
NotProkofievian

Oh, and Forsberg is physical, in the sense that Eric Cole or Jagr are physical. They don't crash and bang, or lay out big hits, but he uses his body, and strength to open up space for himself and get to areas that would be otherwise inaccessible to a smaller player.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Oh, and Forsberg is physical, in the sense that Eric Cole or Jagr are physical. They don't crash and bang, or lay out big hits, but he uses his body, and strength to open up space for himself and get to areas that would be otherwise inaccessible to a smaller player.
I am fully aware of that side of his game, I said he doesn't hit. And Shanahan, most certainly, didn't shy from taking the body.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:31 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Well Cole actually is the definition of crash and bang. He throws his body around all game. At the players, at the puck, at the net... anything he can

I think the word you're looking for is: gritty.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:32 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
I am fully aware of that side of his game, I said he doesn't hit. And Shanahan, most certainly, didn't shy from taking the body.
I don't like the Shanahan comparison either. It smacks not having actually watched him play.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:42 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Well Cole actually is the definition of crash and bang. He throws his body around all game. At the players, at the puck, at the net... anything he can

I think the word you're looking for is: gritty.

No, he's not, and no, he doesn't. He uses his body to gain position almost always. Just for curiosity's sake I youtube'd "Erik cole big hit": the only hit that was in a Montreal uniform was Alexei Emelin hip checking Erik Cole.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Habsoil

I think some people see forsbergs name and equate it to the next coming of christ! Petr forsberg is no longer nhl capable, get over it!

Quote:
Grigorenko was hardly impressive at the WJC. It's interesting that you bring up the WJC given that Forsberg played on the top PP unit of the most talented team, the deepest team, and the team that won Gold as a 17 year old. How many star NHL players weren't even good enough to play for their country in their draft years?

I also find it funny that you're bashing Forsberg for a goal per game pace at the WU18. Incredible! If you watched the game, you'd see that he's been dominant all over the offensive zone, great with the puck, along the boards, in front of the net and has a lightning quick release. A man against boys.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Habnot

Quote:
I don't like the Shanahan comparison either. It smacks not having actually watched him play.
Game - Set - Match

Old
04-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsoil View Post
I think some people see forsbergs name and equate it to the next coming of christ! Petr forsberg is no longer nhl capable, get over it!
So according to almost all scouting sources he's likely going in the top 5 in the NHL draft. He played on WJC gold medal champion's top PP unit at age 17. He's captain of Sweden's U18 team and has two goals in two games and had 7 shots today while showing impressive skill,puck distribution, play along the wall and overpowering defenders for position in front of the net. Craig Button compared his style of play to Brendan Shanahan. But he's nothing special because you say so? Glad you're a tennis fan.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:05 PM
JustAHabFan

TSN is reporting that Murray probably will be invited to the WC. What will happen if he is having an amazing tournement?

Old
04-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Habsoil

Top pp unit and 1 assist all tournament? U must be a leaf fan, using stats like that!

I dont want any projects with this pick. And forsberg has project written all over him

Quote:
So according to almost all scouting sources he's likely going in the top 5 in the NHL draft. He played on WJC gold medal champion's top PP unit at age 17. He's captain of Sweden's U18 team and has two goals in two games and had 7 shots today while showing impressive skill,puck distribution, play along the wall and overpowering defenders for position in front of the net. Craig Button compared his style of play to Brendan Shanahan. But he's nothing special because you say so? Glad you're a tennis fan.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:07 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
TSN is reporting that Murray probably will be invited to the WC. What will happen if he is having an amazing tournement?
What if he has an amazing tournament paired with P.K?

Questions, Questions....

Old
04-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
He'll get invited to the Sochi Olympics instead of PK.

He'll probably get cut, depends who's invited and who shows up. I can't see them cutting an NHL regular they asked to play for Canada being cut instead, but who knows.

Good for him, I hope he does well.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
He'll get invited to the Sochi Olympics instead of PK.

He'll probably get cut, depends who's invited and who shows up. I can't see them cutting an NHL regular they asked to play for Canada being cut instead, but who knows.

Good for him, I hope he does well.
There's no camp, so why would they cut a guy they brought in?

Old
04-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Habruti!

Not sure if i am alone but i get the feeling that Edm will pick Murray at number 1, especially if they manage to get him to play at Wc and he does well. Then Columbus will take the most american of top forwards which is GalChenyuk leaving us Yakupov...

Old
04-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Not sure if i am alone but i get the feeling that Edm will pick Murray at number 1, especially if they manage to get him to play at Wc and he does well. Then Columbus will take the most american of top forwards which is GalChenyuk leaving us Yakupov...
And if true, which I doubt, Habs HAVE to pick Yakupov. I don't care about where he is from. I don't care about size. This guy will be special. But I doubt it will happen.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:28 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Edmonton falling in love with Murray would only be a good thing from a habs perspective...
indeed. I really hope they are smart enough to trade down to get their D-men (Murray no doubt) but it's the oilers...

Old
04-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post

If Edm do not want Yakupov I'm quite sure they'll trade the pick. They could get Murray + good value IMO

Old
04-14-2012, 11:34 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
If Edm do not want Yakupov I'm quite sure they'll trade the pick. They could get Murray + good value IMO
Would you trade up for him? If so, how much would you give up?

Closed Thread