HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

When is a trade a "Win-Win?"

Old
04-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Whoa. We went from obscurity to a regular playoff contendor and got to the scf in 97 on the back of lindros meanwhile he is still the best skater to ever lace them up in philly and gave us just short of a decade of great hockey and highlights. I know we didn't win it all and understand why you said what you said but the flyers would never have been able to pry Roy out of Mon for he same package he was had for and we didn't have a Sackic for forsberg either. So who knows what would of happened if we didn't make that deal. I know I'm happy with it.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 04:53 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
For a trade to be a win-win both clubs have to benefit from it.

In Toronto's case, it's been obvious quite some time that they need to rebuild. Seguin and Hamilton would have been better to have for a rebuild than Kessel. Burke however wants to retool instead of rebuild so he's fine with the deal.

The trade itself isn't too bad as Toronto got the proven goal scorer/better player at the time, but that's a move only a team who's one player away from being a pretender to contender should make, IMO.
This is one of the most idiotic arguments for why Toronto lost the deal.

Somehow acquiring a 21 year with picks became tantamount to trading picks for a 32 year old winger.

Somehow acquiring a 21 year old who went top 5 in a draft just 3 years prior, a player who had just broken out, became the most idiotic move a team could make.

Somehow, a teams top goal scorer, at age 21, became a player that was only going to be good on a cup team.

Somehow, acquiring a 21 year 30 goal scorer with 20-30 place picks became possible.

How logic became this convoluted is beyond me.

theIceWookie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:11 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Yea Clarke was great he delivered a cup and was one of the all time greats. He was a gritty hardnosed two way guy and had everything. Lindros was the best talent this team has ever seen. He was a physical specimen and was not far off from being mentioned in the same breath as Mario. You could probably make an arguement for both Clarke and Lindros but to be honest I don't want to make this into a Clarke vs. Lindros thread. The point is you can't say Quebec won as a clear winner in that deal.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Leidi J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
When one player (Nieuwendyk) is a pivotal member of a Stanley Cup win, while the other (Iginla) becomes the cornerstone of his team for years.

That's win-win.
I would say the same for San Jose and the Thornton trade. Helped Boston build/get other pieces/cap space to build their cup team. San Jose got a player who has become and remained the backbone of their team for 6+ years.

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:03 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
This is one of the most idiotic arguments for why Toronto lost the deal.

Somehow acquiring a 21 year with picks became tantamount to trading picks for a 32 year old winger.

Somehow acquiring a 21 year old who went top 5 in a draft just 3 years prior, a player who had just broken out, became the most idiotic move a team could make.

Somehow, a teams top goal scorer, at age 21, became a player that was only going to be good on a cup team.

Somehow, acquiring a 21 year 30 goal scorer with 20-30 place picks became possible.

How logic became this convoluted is beyond me.
That's always been my issue with why the trade was supposedly bad. People act like Kessel was a veteran winger you get for a cup run. He was 21.

Contending teams never add a player like Kessel. It's usually an older player who's UFA at season's end.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:04 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPAVELSKI View Post
I would say the same for San Jose and the Thornton trade. Helped Boston build/get other pieces/cap space to build their cup team. San Jose got a player who has become and remained the backbone of their team for 6+ years.
Trading Thornton had nothing to do with that. It was a horrific trade for the Bruins. It doesn't matter how great they drafted after and won a cup 5 years later. They lost that trade hands-down.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:53 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
One of the worst trades in history? Seriously? I can understand people believing Boston won the trade, but how can you think that is anywhere close to the worst trade in history? The Leafs have a 24 year old star who scored over a PPG this year and now has 4 consecutive 30 goal seasons...

I also don't see how anyone thinks the Beauchemin trade was win-win... Toronto won that by a mile. They got a 21 stud on defence and a PPG player in Lupul out of it
I'm just mentioning what some others have said regarding the Kessel trade.

And yes, I don't understand how Anaheim won the Beauchemin trade but many people feel that way.

Old
04-14-2012, 07:06 PM
feds91

the best example of a "win-win" trade I can think of was Iginla for Nieuwendyk. Dallas won their only Stanley Cup while Joe won playoff M.V.P. Meanwhile Iginla is the all time points leader for Calgary.

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:17 PM
danmcn12
Radioactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPAVELSKI View Post
I wouldn't call that a win for Boston, they became competitive like 5 years and a new GM later.

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:21 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Visnovsky for Whitney. Oilers got their number one for our number 3, Ducks got their number one.

win win

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:22 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Trading Thornton had nothing to do with that. It was a horrific trade for the Bruins. It doesn't matter how great they drafted after and won a cup 5 years later. They lost that trade hands-down.
I think the point is it freed up cash to sign Chara

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:22 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
A win win trade is one both teams would do again after the fact.
seems like the best definition

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:42 PM
shakes the clown

This ones easy. Skille for Frolik. It doesn't get any more even than that. Both players suck equally.

shakes the clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:45 PM
thekernel

are cap dump deals considered win-win?

thekernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

When both teams benefit from the trade.
ex. Goligoski for Neal, JJ for Carter, Bishop for a 2nd, Varly for 1st and 2nd.

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:22 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakans Lube View Post
This ones easy. Skille for Frolik. It doesn't get any more even than that. Both players suck equally.
Does that not mean its a lose-lose.

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote